• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
When in doubt I always check to see if theres a guide on YouTube.

This will probably help

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've reinstalled everything , retroarch, the cores, my megadrive games are 7zipped up by hackchi, I'm quite stuck. I'e not done the bin thing yet I'll try it.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
The most important part are the roms and you're leaving that for last?

huehuehuehue

And if.md doesn't work, try .smd

Last edited:

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Welp. I still can't get the games that require Retroarch to work on the Classic. And Retroarch does not seem to want to install at all whenever I try to do so.

Hmm...

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Did you add - - retroarch to the command line? Without it, games will load with Canoe instead.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I've reinstalled everything , retroarch, the cores, my megadrive games are 7zipped up by hackchi, I'm quite stuck. I'e not done the bin thing yet I'll try it.

Dollars to doughnuts its the file extension. Open up the zip and see what they are. I bet they're .bin files

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yep, they are bins...so what bit do I change please?

/bin/bin /usr/share/games/CLV-Z-HERLQ/Mega_Turrican_(U)_[!].bin.7z

Also what about this final burn CPS2 game I want to play, its SSF2X, heres the command line, and the game is the standard romset zipped up.

/bin/zip /usr/share/games/CLV-Z-LXITI/ssf2t.zip

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Did you not read what Chojin said?

Take the (sarcastic) effing roms and change the .bin to .md or .smd and re-add them to hakchi.

*edit*

Last edited:

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Did you not read what Chojin said?

Take the effing roms and change the .bin to .md or .smd and re-add them to hakchi.

Jesus christ, is there any need to be so rude? edit - probably overreaction.

I'm asking which part of the command line to change.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't being rude, I was being sarcastic. But seriously, did you read what chojin said? He literally answered all your questions already. And I also gave you yet another better way to do it.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Yep, they are bins...so what bit do I change please?

/bin/bin /usr/share/games/CLV-Z-HERLQ/Mega_Turrican_(U)_[!].bin.7z

Also what about this final burn CPS2 game I want to play, its SSF2X, heres the command line, and the game is the standard romset zipped up.

Change /bin/bin to /bin/md

Should work

The Wraith

Oct 27, 2017
Jesus christ, is there any need to be so rude?

I'm asking which part of the command line to change.
I believe you have to change the file extension before you put it into your Snes mini. I had the same issue with my Sega games so I saw that they were .bin files. I changed the extension on the file itself to .smd and then I loaded them up to my Snes. Worked great after that.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
And all CPS2 games need the Q Sound romset to work.

As for those Genesis roms, you must be using some shady rom site or torrent to be getting those files in .bin format.

An accurate romset should be .md or .smd and not .bin.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wasn't being rude, I was being sarcastic. But seriously, did you read what chojin said? He literally answered all your questions already. And I also gave you yet another better way to do it.

Telling me to "change the effing roms" is not helpful.

I did read what he said, im asking again because I dont know what bit to change. Do I change the bin/bin at the start to bin/md? I'd not ask again if I didnt need the help, plus the final burn game, I don't understand why that does the same. I added the fb cps2 core, added the game, and it still just wont run.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Change /bin/bin to /bin/md

Should work

Awesome, thank you.

I believe you have to change the file extension before you put it into your Snes mini. I had the same issue with my Sega games so I saw that they were .bin files. I changed the extension on the file itself to .smd and then I loaded them up to my Snes. Worked great after that.

I'll try this afterwards, appreciate it.

Has anyone else got cps games running?

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It's better to change the extension in the rom itself, that way you don't have to modify the command line. Next time use a better source for games so they are obtained with the correct extension instead of the generic .bin

And for the CPS2, again, you need the Q sound romset for all CPS2 games to work.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I only really want a couple on there (the best version of Turrican 3 basically) so command line should suffice. Will look for the Qsound thingy, cheers

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Well Im all Qsounded up, changed my command lines, lets pop back to the TV again. Fingers crossed.

Megadrive yes!! Cps2 no. Getting there.

Last edited:

darkvir

Oct 26, 2017
Made a minor edit to my Tetris & Dr Mario box. Noticed that I some how forgot to clean away some of the creases from the scan I used. So if you're the one person in the world who has used this image, there's a slightly improved version in my gallery.

I often pick games based on popular mentions I see around since that gives me a good gist of what boxes are worth doing (no point in doing Zoop when no one wants to play it) so that's why I did Pocky and Rocky 2. But I thought I might as well do the first one to make things complete. Same thing with Pop'n Twinbee, did Rainbow Bell Adventures ages ago, might as well include the other Twinbee game that came out in Europe.

Nothing really interesting to say about Wario's Woods. I fancied doing it ha ha.

And then for fun I went with the 'what if' scenario for Panel De Pon. I saw someone had made a English patch for it so I gave it a go. These boxes are the most fun to do since I have complete creative control.

1q20UQu.png
Nb7bJvB.png
z4lqGdT.png
YuoUOGn.png

EDIT: Realised the Pop'n Twinbee art could use a little colour tweaking.

I found your album a few posts back, wow, amazing work! They look great, I'll make a few in this style for some extra titles I have.

Thanks again~!

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorted, stupid bad dump. Ssf2t and Avp arcade running happily.

Last edited:

MisterLuffy

Oct 25, 2017

Try this: /bin/cps2 /usr/share/games/CLV-Z-LXITI/ssf2t.zip or /bin/fba /usr/share/games/CLV-Z-LXITI/ssf2t.zip

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Try this: /bin/cps2 /usr/share/games/CLV-Z-LXITI/ssf2t.zip or /bin/fba /usr/share/games/CLV-Z-LXITI/ssf2t.zip

yup, I hadnt set to cps2

Not a bad dump, a really old dump. Arcade files are always getting updated, and you had really old roms.

not so actually, my rips are fine, the only bad one was a "modern" sourced SSF2T one that was missing some items.

AVP runs great, had a play with some shaders for scanlines, although there is input lag on streetfighter which is a shame. My saturn version probably remains the best, just inconvenient to play.

DAREALGUMMY

Oct 25, 2017
If anyone is having trouble with different systems on the Snes, this guy has a bunch of cores you can install
https://github.com/KMFDManic/NESC-SNESC-Modifications/releases

Here's a small tutorial as well

Extract the cores to this folder of your Hakchi
H3fxOkm.jpg

Now install the one you want to use
w4rObxx.jpg

Command line options are given when you select the core you want
11ErAJK.jpg

Now change the command options if needed (Most likely if it's not a SNES game)
MTr6h8w.jpg

and your game should be working! Just make sure you install the bios core (NEO-GEO, CPS2) if needed!

enjoy your game!

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone tried to get Mortal Kombat 2 Arcade or Killer Instinct Arcade running on this thing? I'm curious about performance! Thanks.

DAREALGUMMY

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone tried to get Mortal Kombat 2 Arcade or Killer Instinct Arcade running on this thing? I'm curious about performance! Thanks.
Mortal Kombat 2 runs fine if you find the right dump. I'm still trying to figure out using revisions.

KI I'm not too sure about since it usually uses a .CHD file for mame so that's going to eat up your space.

This guy did get KI2 running but it's a bit slow.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Mortal Kombat 2 runs fine if you find the right dump. I'm still trying to figure out using revisions.

KI I'm not too sure about since it usually uses a .CHD file for mame so that's going to eat up your space.

This guy did get KI2 running but it's a bit slow.

A bit slow? That's a slideshow!

But thanks yeah I saw a video of someone running MK2 and it seems to run fine!

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Just had some weird issue with Treasure Hunter G where my game suddenly wouldnt load at all, despite working and saving just fine the past few times i played.

Had to do some surgical shit to extract the save from Hakchi, run it in Higan, make a new save, install Python and some guy's handy script, convert that save to Hakchi's format, import it back to Hakchi and my game loads with saves intact again.

Wowzer

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Applied my Panel De Pon design to my NA template with a few tweaks to make it closer to the NA version of the Tetris Attacks box (it was mainly the yellow dots that needed shifting)

Ym137wu.png
gw1GqaW.png

EDIT2: For consistency, I re-did the Sutte Hakkun box so now the various elements align with each other. Since it was a late Nintendo game, it would have had the Only For logo after all.

I assumed people didn't really want age ratings on their boxes if it can be helped, so I kept the Seal of Quality in its place.

And some simple PAL boxes to add to the collection:

1h25Mbf.png
6S2rHBF.png
xT7eqrr.png

I already posted Super Pang, but I felt bored enough to add the NA title of Super Bang Bros to it since I had already done most of the hard work erasing the original logo already, I just never finished it. Mother 2 is for those who fancy using that MaternalBound patch for Earthbound (no idea if it works with the Classic).

EDIT: Noticed the colours were a little duller in the NA Panel de Pon, apparently I was working with a different colour profile. Fixed that.

Last edited:

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Buster bros was a terrible title, i hated that early videogame dumbing down for the US market. As if Americans couldnt handle the superior evocative name of Pang.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is nobody creating logo-less Switch-type icons anymore?

Those may have been my favorite icons to use on my SNES, such as this one:

earthboundrwjr6.png

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Is nobody creating logo-less Switch-type icons anymore?

Those may have been my favorite icons to use on my SNES, such as this one:

earthboundrwjr6.png

I assume many simply make the art for the games they intend to play. I can't imagine many are as crazy as me and continue to make more than they need to.

Perhaps one should make an off-shoot of this thread just for various icon styles to try and encourage others to make more since I'm guessing many think this thread is just for hacking the SNES Classic itself and not the other little bits that are related to it like hacks and art.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an easy way to take out the game specific borders without having to go to each specific game and take out the code?

I'm assuming not but thought I'd ask.

Have my SNES classic on an OLED and though I have never,ever seen any resemblance of burn in starting to get paranoid

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Game specific borders? There are no game specific borders. If you mean the regular borders, then if you don't want them just select the empty black one on the SNESC.

You won't get burn-in on the OLED (unless you leave something static for days), but you might get image retention (which is temporary). However, what leaves image retention are bright colors like white, yellow, bright red and things like that. The SNESC's borders aren't overly bright, so you shouldn't have a problem if you leave them on. But at least try to shuffle them once in a while.

I'm using a Plasma and the only thing causing issues are the games' HUD, which are usually white. But since I'm playing a variety of games, the image retention is short.

natjjohn

Oct 25, 2017
Game specific borders? There are no game specific borders. If you mean the regular borders, then if you don't want them just select the empty black one on the SNESC.

You won't get burn-in on the OLED (unless you leave something static for days), but you might get image retention (which is temporary). However, what leaves image retention are bright colors like white, yellow, bright red and things like that. The SNESC's borders aren't overly bright, so you shouldn't have a problem if you leave them on. But at least try to shuffle them once in a while.

I'm using a Plasma and the only thing causing issues are the games' HUD, which are usually white. But since I'm playing a variety of games, the image retention is short.

I added numerous custom borders and set them to load up with specific games. Want to know if I have to manually go delete the code line for each specific game or if there's an easy way to undo them all. Just trying to save a few minutes.

Within the classic, border is set to black so for games I didn't tag a specific border, come up black.

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
Just said it didnt boot on load. I will have to try it myself then.

Here's all the translated games I have that were personally tested by me. Along with a link to some fanmade boxart I found on repro sites and such. I made note of the couple I found in your link as well.

Link: https://imgur.com/a/i2cfP

Phew I think ive filled in your blanks...

Hiouden: Legend of the Scarlet King
Magical Land of Wozz
Monstania
Neugier
Silva Saga 2
Torneko's Mystery Dungeon

I found Treasure Hunter G and Secret of Mana 2 boxart in this imgur album

prateeko

Oct 26, 2017
It's been a while since I installed Hackchi (maybe I had version e?), have there been significant updates to it that are worth updating? I have a mac so I have to use virtual box to do it and it's not worth it unless it ends up being a substantial upgrade.

beelzebozo

Oct 26, 2017
pleasantly surprised at how easy installing retroarch was! worked like a charm. i even popped some nes and gba games on there for good measure. minish cap looks pretty awesome for a gba game blown up to 52". scan lines help.