• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Can't get megadrive games to run...added the retroarch cores, the --retroarch line...nothing.

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You don't need to add the retroarch line since non-snes games are recognized immediately.
What mods did you add? Check the mod list in hakchi.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I dragged the retro cores zip into hakchi, then after I did a manual adding of a genesis emu core. I put 2 games on in the usual way but they just dont boot, no error code.

Jorav

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have my snes classic in the box lol, so total noob question. Is there a list i can find that shows all the games that work 100%? Also is there a limit to how many games can be put on the snes classic?

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I still have my snes classic in the box lol, so total noob question. Is there a list i can find that shows all the games that work 100%? Also is there a limit to how many games can be put on the snes classic?

The google sheet linked above shows pretty good compatibility results for the internal emulator the SNES uses. Any games that dont work you can use RetroArch. I prefer the internal emulator because of the save states and more.

For reference, I have about 150 titles and room for more, if I wanted. Keep in mind that your space is also limited by you using those save states (4 per game) so you can't just fill it to the brim and be done with it.

SneerfulOwl

Nov 4, 2017
Can someone explain how to apply PAL to NTSC patch? The OP only has the link to the files, but it doesnt explain how to apply the patch.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I dragged the retro cores zip into hakchi, then after I did a manual adding of a genesis emu core. I put 2 games on in the usual way but they just dont boot, no error code.

I thought so. You didn't add retroarch, you just added the genesis emu.

The google sheet linked above shows pretty good compatibility results for the internal emulator the SNES uses. Any games that dont work you can use RetroArch. I prefer the internal emulator because of the save states and more.

Save states? Those work exactly the same even if you're using Retroarch. Same for rewind. I mean, I prefer the internal emulator too, but RA doesn't interfere with anything really.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Say do we know if any of the stock games use the -no-lowlatency flag? I'm curious...

Edit: Also I edited the google doc to indicate that Yoshi's Island has issues. I don't see how the disappearing background when touching a fuzzy doesn't qualify. That doesn't happen on a real cart.

Last edited:

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Well the doc is more a reference for games people want to add. Since Yoshi's Island is a built-in game, people aren't going to be fussed to document it.

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
That guy is overreacting. Just do some googling and you'll find your games. You can leave them zipped or unzipped when you load them into hakchi. Hakchi does its own internal processing when setting up the folder structure and filetype for the SNES Classic itself.

Hakchi does 80% of the work. Do your part and meet it 20% there.

Since its already been covered by Rey, i'd just like to add that asking such questions puts the thread itself in as much danger of deletion as those asking the questions. It's not the sort of thing to be overly lax about. That said, some like Element252 genuinely don't know so there's no sense in being dicks about it either. Informative, yet firm is the way to go bro.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Anyone unable to locate the games they require shoudlnt be messing with such things.

Could anyone answer me definitively about flashing the music, when you change your music.wav, do you reflash the kernel, or re-add the music mod?

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
So to celebrate the recent English patch, I've put together a PAL box art design for Sutte Hakkun. Logo is based on the one from the patch.

e3uA7k3.png

Rather chuffed with how it came out considering the lack of art resources out there.

Nice work man!

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
When you get that warning then you are looking at the save states for a particular game that says something to the effect of "loading this will cause your game save to be deleted" or similar, it means you will lose the save state right? Not the actual standard save file for the game right?

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
When you get that warning then you are looking at the save states for a particular game that says something to the effect of "loading this will cause your game save to be deleted" or similar, it means you will lose the save state right? Not the actual standard save file for the game right?

No, it does mean your battery save will be lost. Consider it that the save state will contain a battery save within it (as it fully saved the entire state the game was in), so loading the state will write its battery save to the real battery save.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
No, it does mean your battery save will be lost. Consider it that the save state will contain a battery save within it (as it fully saved the entire state the game was in), so loading the state will write its battery save to the real battery save.
Oh wow, ok. So it is possible to load say FF6 by starting it from the box art, and the battery save there could be completely different than had I started it from a save state a while back. That makes perfect sense I guess, now that I wrap my head around it.

If I'm understanding this correctly, is this warning message always going to be present for all games with a battery save? It isn't a result of running out of space from loading additional games/creating a bunch of save states?

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
Another update for my alternate SNES boxart universe collection. This time round, two alternate versions for Final Fight 3!

First version is a reconstruction of the Super Famicom cartridge sticker label. That was fun to make. The second version fits the Super Famicom boxart in the US dimensions. I think it balances quite well with the western version logo in front and center!
nRKbYwn.jpg

xQssvZ7.jpg

I also added and edited some text from the back of the box to the front. It reads "24 MEGS - The biggest Final Fight ever, with 9 huge levels of action that really pack a punch!"

I don't know which one I'm gonna use myself, both look rightfully epic on the snes classic mini screen...especially Guy beckoning to come closer to get your head smashed in haha! It's yours for the taking from my gallery post!

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Y'all really shouldn't be using save states when there's a perfectly good battery save to rely on.
Or alternately, use save states constantly and forego the battery saves completely.
Just don't intermittently use both. Will end in tears at some point.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Well since there seems to no other fan made Sutte Hakkun designs (at least if I go by Google Image Search results), I thought I'd break my pattern of making only PAL designs, I copied the design over to a NoA template:

Dlx1mea.png

Luckily the NoA template and the nuNoE template share similar dimensions for the art area so it was more or less just a simple copy and paste.

Thanks.

EDIT: Whoops. Noticed a tiny mistake that needed correcting.

Last edited:

Skip2baloo

Oct 29, 2017
Frankfurt (Germany)
Hey guys,

wanted to know if it's possible to run Genesis/Mega Drive games on a hacked SNES Mini and if there are some Genesis/MD like Controllers for the device. Sorry if this was asked before.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, its possible to run MD/Gen games on SNES, there might be some third party compatible controller that uses Gen/MD button layout. Otherwise you are stuck using the SNES pad.

rubbishmonkey

Oct 27, 2017
Just said it didnt boot on load. I will have to try it myself then.

Here's all the translated games I have that were personally tested by me. Along with a link to some fanmade boxart I found on repro sites and such. I made note of the couple I found in your link as well.

Link: https://imgur.com/a/i2cfP

Got a few others done :

Brandish 2
Dark Law - Meaning of Death
Daikaijuu Monogatari (Super Shell Monsters Story)
Dual Orb 2
Energy Breaker
Heracles no Eikou 3 (Glory of Heracles 3)
Heracles no Eikou 4 (Glory of Heracles 4)

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Nice dude, all look great. Thanks a lot, you should bundle em up for others interested on /r/minisnesmods

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any news about how many games I can put on the SNES MIni? I've looking some people saying that 50 its safe and anothers saying 63. Can't find a definitive answer...

demi

Oct 27, 2017
I have roughly 140 games on mine with space for a bit more. All SNES, no other systems.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Both games work fine, some people are using bunk ROMs. I played Chrono Trigger last night and experienced no sound issues.

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Any news about how many games I can put on the SNES MIni? I've looking some people saying that 50 its safe and anothers saying 63. Can't find a definitive answer...

63 is the page limit, once you add more you get a messed up front end with multiple sections. It sucks.

Scythesurge

Oct 25, 2017
I can't say I've played through all the way but Chrono and DKC2 have been just fine for me as well, so far at least.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017

Max is 62 per page/folder, not total. But it is recommended you don't go over 40 to avoid crashes.

Chrono Trigger, DKC2 having issues is a deal breaker

A few other high profile games not working right, either :/

DKC2 doesn't have issues (unless you really want to play the european version). Those CT sound issues (assuming the guy isn't using a bad rom) are very rare, it has happened on other games too, but very very rarely. But if that bothers you, just run the game with retroarch and it will be perfect.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Well I finally got Super Mario All-Stars to work. Only thing I did differently was patch it with a Windows application (Lunar IPS) rather than the Mac OS (MultiPatch) one I sometimes use.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
So I picked one up about two weeks ago randomly walking into a gamestop after work.

This thing is so cute. Installing hakchi2 was a breeze and its exactly what I want. I known I could have a more powerful PI with better filters and storage and whatever but I don't need overkill.

So last night I my 8bitdo wireless receiver came and its made this thing EVEN better. I paired it with all kinds of controllers including my nes30 pro.

Chojin

Oct 26, 2017
Can't get megadrive games to run...added the retroarch cores, the --retroarch line...nothing.

I ran into that too. Most Genesis roms are .bin files. When add them to the snes hackchi2 puts in the command line bin/bin. Just change it to bin/md.

Yes it has to be done manually. Alternatively you can decompress your genesis roms and then rename the file types to .md files recompres then move over to the snes.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Made a minor edit to my Tetris & Dr Mario box. Noticed that I some how forgot to clean away some of the creases from the scan I used. So if you're the one person in the world who has used this image, there's a slightly improved version in my gallery.

I often pick games based on popular mentions I see around since that gives me a good gist of what boxes are worth doing (no point in doing Zoop when no one wants to play it) so that's why I did Pocky and Rocky 2. But I thought I might as well do the first one to make things complete. Same thing with Pop'n Twinbee, did Rainbow Bell Adventures ages ago, might as well include the other Twinbee game that came out in Europe.

Nothing really interesting to say about Wario's Woods. I fancied doing it ha ha.

And then for fun I went with the 'what if' scenario for Panel De Pon. I saw someone had made a English patch for it so I gave it a go. These boxes are the most fun to do since I have complete creative control.

1q20UQu.png
Nb7bJvB.png
z4lqGdT.png
bXQSPkK.png

EDIT: Realised the Pop'n Twinbee art could use a little colour tweaking.
EDIT2: Made the pinks a bit brighter on Lip.

Last edited:

angel

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok I cannot get retroarch to work at all. Added it as a mod. Added final burn 2 and a genesis core. Added super sf2 x and a few genesis games. They just dont work, what's going on

k0fighter

Oct 25, 2017
Ok I cannot get retroarch to work at all. Added it as a mod. Added final burn 2 and a genesis core. Added super sf2 x and a few genesis games. They just dont work, what's going on
Double check everything and possibly uninstall modules/cores, then reinstall. Trial and error should help you get it sorted out. I know it sucks, but I couldn't get Neo Geo games to work for a week or two of trying and getting frustrated, but then I finally got it. So don't give up, you just need to tinker a bit with settings. It could be a very small thing that you've missed. I don't have better advice since I don't know exactly how you have your system set up. Maybe provide us with some screenshots or more details.