• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which is the better SNES game?

• Alien 3

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Beavis and Butt-head

Votes: 35 37.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Had some resource files sitting on my desktop for a while so I decided to finally take a crack as a Ganpuru cover.

7Q2lPwM.png

Found a handy Japanese blog that has scans of various Super Famicom covers and manuals in good quality.
http://blog.goo.ne.jp/touffu/e/ce20ce7c755cde91aad29e99895b04f4

And since it was an easy quick cover to do, here's Sparkster:

yu7ENuB.png

pitt_norton

Nov 2, 2017
2 more alternate covers from myself!

First up, the generic fighter pilot cover of U.N. Squadron annoyed me immensely as a teenager way back on its initial release. So I'm living up to my old fanboy dreams and adapted the SFC cover for the US box. I also used the U.N. Squadron title screen logo to better match the original "Area 88" Japanese styled logo.

O1Iw6tF.jpg

Second, I redid my alternate Tiny Toon Adventures: Wacky Sports Challenge cover. I was never quite happy with my first attempt but upon finding higher quality art assets I gave it another go... I think it's much more balanced and finds closer ground to the PAL and SFC covers (busy as it maybe).

uuEvuJs.jpg

Get them from my gallery post if you are interested!

Last edited:

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
4) From now on, simply use the Add Games button, pick your SNES ROM, fill out the details, assign some box art..

I am new to all of this so need some help. When I click the add games button will the games just pop up to be added or do I need to find them online myself?

Has anyone bricked their super nes mini doing this?

Last edited:

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Pretty sure asking or giving that info out is not allowed.

Really, didn't know that. Sorry. Just trying to figure out how to do this and best place to d/l these roms. I am ignorant about hacking consoles etc.

I do have a question I hope people can answer though. Can the roms you upload to the SNES classic be compressed/zip or do they need to be unzipped?

Last edited:

Shade Aurion

Oct 27, 2017
Brisbane, Au
Using your own cartridge dumps is advised as its legal but providing links to roms is aiding in piracy and technically a crime. Its a surefire way to get this thread closed or your account banned too so be careful. Roms aren't a difficult thing to find on your own but no one is gonna help you in that regard buddy. Also, Hakchi compressed automatically but the files can be zipped to save on space. Make sure to install retroarch also as per the first post's recommendation for problematic games ;)

Ayahuasca

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I take it I would have to abandon my original 21 games folder and add them to the individual add-on list to get all the games to show in one fell swoop instead of the add-on games popping up in a separate folder? I want the seamlessness, not a folder! Is there some other way? Didn't add too many, so space shouldn't be a problem.

OP
OP
Robin64

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I take it I would have to abandon my original 21 games folder and add them to the individual add-on list to get all the games to show in one fell swoop instead of the add-on games popping up in a separate folder? I want the seamlessness, not a folder! Is there some other way? Didn't add too many, so space shouldn't be a problem.

Just disable folder in hakchi. It's one of the settings. Then the original 21 will appear alongside others you've added.

Ayahuasca

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Just disable folder in hakchi. It's one of the settings. Then the original 21 will appear alongside others you've added.

Ok, thanks. Hopefully I can figure that out.

Looking over my work, it seems I messed up(I knew I would). My dump copy says the disc image file is corrupted, won't open(says it's corrupted). I think I flashed kernel, after dumping of course, before copying it...if that would make a difference to corrupt it? If it's in a dump folder already, how would that mess it up??? Am I seriously screwed? Ahhh!

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You can have the additional games show up alongside the original 21 games. However, you can't have more than 30 games or else the thumbnails on the bottom will go offscreen. If you don't care about that, then you can have up to 60 games per page/folder, however it is recommended you only have fewer than 40 per page/folder or you risk getting errors and crashes..

Ayahuasca

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Thanks the two of you for the tips on layout. I found the disable folders option as the top icon of the settings layout and it's now looking the way I want. I'm under 40 games so hopefully no errors. Will keep that in mind should I decide to ever add more.

munancho

Banned for suspected use of alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You can just resize all the thumbnails to avoid them going off the screen.

A quick recap of how to do so would be nice. I remember seeing a post at the old place that flipped them sideways so there was more room which was a nice touch.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
A quick recap of how to do so would be nice. I remember seeing a post at the old place that flipped them sideways so there was more room which was a nice touch.
Once you add a game and its cover art, hakchi will auto generate a thumbnail.

Navigate the games folder in the hakchi directory and for each game's folder you'll find the cover art image and the small thumbnail image. Basically replace the thumbnail file with whatever image you like. That's how some people have sprites as their thumbails rather than small boxart.

As for generating thumbnails, if your image manipulation application of choice has script/action support you can set up a batch action to go through a folder of images and shrink them and/or rotate them in one go.

Unfortunately, it takes a little while since hackchi generates a unique code for each game you add so there's no shortcut for giving your thumbnails the same name as the old thumbnail files. However, if you just want to rotate, you could copy the original thumbnails to a new location, run a script to rotate them and save with the same name and then copy them back to their original location choosing to replace the original, which saves needing to delete one file and then renaming another.

Ayahuasca

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
If someone could make me (and everyone else) a dope Where in the World (and In Time) is Carmen Sandiego? Box Art that'd be great. If not, that's okay. I only see it for a few seconds anyhow. Stock images are faded and look like trash.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
Hey everyone,

I have a Mac and no real access to a PC (I only have one at work). What's the best way of getting Hakchi running on a OSX?

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Well, I just dual boot into Windows myself, but you could run a virtual machine.

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Using your own cartridge dumps is advised as its legal but providing links to roms is aiding in piracy and technically a crime. Its a surefire way to get this thread closed or your account banned too so be careful. Roms aren't a difficult thing to find on your own but no one is gonna help you in that regard buddy. Also, Hakchi compressed automatically but the files can be zipped to save on space. Make sure to install retroarch also as per the first post's recommendation for problematic games ;)

Thanks for the help and giving me the warning, honestly didn't know that. .Yeah, my ignorance in this area is astounding apparently. So I guess games do not have to be unzipped and can be compressed/zip. when uploading. I hope no one has had any issues with their SNES classic after doing this.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
That guy is overreacting. Just do some googling and you'll find your games. You can leave them zipped or unzipped when you load them into hakchi. Hakchi does its own internal processing when setting up the folder structure and filetype for the SNES Classic itself.

Hakchi does 80% of the work. Do your part and meet it 20% there.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Saying he can be banned for asking for roms is not overreacting. He could very well be banned for asking that question, and claiming ignorance will not save him. He should even edit the post where he asks for roms because it a mod sees it later, he could be admonished.

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hey, people here are giving him good advice. What he was asking for is against the rules and technically illegal. So your advice is to brush it off? Anyway, he was officially warned apparently, luckily they didn't ban him.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
Bro I'm not trying to turn this into something its not. Let that red bar be a reminder for would-be villains around here and leave it. Chill

ReyVGM

Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Bruh, you are too defensive. I was just kindly explaining to you how you were misinformed. So chill out bro.

Atilac

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have a link to the caneo fix for Illusion of Gaia, the link on the doc requires signing up for something.

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
This may well have been posted previously in this thread somewhere but I've not noticed it so I'm going to posy it here anyway. This is a hardware "hack" top incorporate the wireless dongles that some are using inside the console case.

I'm really not a fan of the plastic flaps used on the SNES version and do prefer the way it was handled on the NES version.

It's not my video so don't shout at me if it all goes horribly wrong for you.

element252

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Hey, people here are giving him good advice. What he was asking for is against the rules and technically illegal. So your advice is to brush it off? Anyway, he was officially warned apparently, luckily they didn't ban him.

I thank everyone for their advice and the warning. I made a mistake and didn't know about that. But ignorance is no excuse and I do apologize.

Coi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys, is there any way to hack my SNES Mini using a Macbook Pro. I don't have any Windows machine at home for at least 3 months from now :(

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
So to celebrate the recent English patch, I've put together a PAL box art design for Sutte Hakkun. Logo is based on the one from the patch.

e3uA7k3.png

Rather chuffed with how it came out considering the lack of art resources out there.

EDIT: Made a minor tweak.

Last edited:

zychi

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Chicago
Bought an SNES30 from 8bitdo before they start disappearing from lack of production, controller feels great. Super simple to update too.

Gonna grab the new version with the analog sticks in Dec too. Hopefully PS1 emulation via usb is more concise by then (Xenogears please!)