• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GreatFenris

Banned
Apr 6, 2019
I agree. I wish they would just let Nintendo go crazy but alas, the days of the original virtual console are gone. There are quite a number of third party games we may never see again (such as Lufia) because the rights holder just does nothing with them and the only one that remembers them is Nintendo.
Would be so nice, Lufia is a game I'd like to try again. There are so many classics from the SNES era. (I'm glad Nintendo is better than Sony at pickign classic titles though)

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Looking forward to seeing what the emulation quality is like - the NES offerings were a decent upgrade over the NES classic console. I prefer real hardware these days but portable SNES is difficult to resist.

demi

Oct 27, 2017
If it's based off the SNES Classic's emulator, it will be fine. It even has one game listed that has issues on the Classic (KDL3) so it could be an updated version it's based on.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
I agree. I wish they would just let Nintendo go crazy but alas, the days of the original virtual console are gone. There are quite a number of third party games we may never see again (such as Lufia) because the rights holder just does nothing with them and the only one that remembers them is Nintendo.

Yeah, I think I mentioned this in an earlier NSO/VC/retro related topic, but it's kind of amazing how much classic stuff Square (presumably) controls at this point, between owning Taito and Eidos along with the stuff Square and Enix both released back in the day (Enix brought over stuff from smaller studios as well). Having them not play ball with these services is a major concern. I totally get that they want to do remakes/remasters of FF and DQ games, as well as bigger series like Mana and Chrono, and that's just fine. Just make your other stuff available somehow.

(Also, release those damn DQ Switch ports worldwide, you already have the mobile versions localized)

That stuff really bothers me as a retro buff. I'm not worried that we'll ever see a time where we don't have access to 1-3 versions of each Final Fantasy title across a number of platforms. It's stuff like Lufia, Paladin's Quest, 7th Saga, and EVO that gets lost.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
If it's based off the SNES Classic's emulator, it will be fine. It even has one game listed that has issues on the Classic (KDL3) so it could be an updated version it's based on.
It's the same devs and certainly based on that, for sure.
They might have improved some stuff too, but my god I hope you can hide the constant buttons/player avater that was on the NES app.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Nintendo is beholden to what third parties allow them to add. Especially with licenses like TMNT. Unless said company re-upped the license just to add it to the service, it'll never be added.

Third parties just do not see the need to give their games to Nintendo for a digital service any longer. It was new during the Wii era, but now many of these are being released in collections by the companies. Nintendo will get some of them, but it'll never be like the Wii era Virtual Console again. People just have to accept it now. It's why so few were upgraded for the Wii U...third parties just didn't see it as worth allowing Nintendo to use them any longer.
Earlier today I was looking at what 3rd parties released what NES Online games. There's not many at all...

List of games released on NES Online by each rights holder in the US and Europe, not including SP games:
(Parenthesis = Japan only games)

Nintendo: 31 (+2)
Arc System Works: 4 (+1)
Koei Tecmo: 3 (+1)
Konami: 3 (+1)
HAL Laboratories: 1 (+1)
Capcom: 1
City Connection: 1 (supposedly that's the name of the rights holder for City Connection?)
Culture Brain: 1
SEGA: 1
Sunsoft: 1

Basically, the biggest 3rd party presence is from Arc System Works, Koei Tecmo, and Konami. And even for those companies (especially for Konami who owns Hudson), the released games are definitely not representative of how we think of the NES library's 3rd party offering.

elzeus

Oct 30, 2017
At this pace they aren't going to get to the Wii until 2022 just so they can sell more controllers.

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
Earlier today I was looking at what 3rd parties released what NES Online games. There's not many at all...

List of games released on NES Online by each rights holder in the US and Europe, not including SP games:
(Parenthesis = Japan only games)

Nintendo: 31 (+2)
Arc System Works: 4 (+1)
Koei Tecmo: 3 (+1)
Konami: 3 (+1)
HAL Laboratories: 1 (+1)
Capcom: 1
City Connection: 1 (supposedly that's the name of the rights holder for City Connection?)
Culture Brain: 1
SEGA: 1
Sunsoft: 1

Basically, the biggest 3rd party presence is from Arc System Works, Koei Tecmo, and Konami. And even for those companies (especially for Konami who owns Hudson), the released games are definitely not representative of how we think of the NES library's 3rd party offering.

Sega made a game for the NES?

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
You had to make sure to turn on "low latency mode". The fact that it's not on by default, let alone even an option at all, is mind boggling.

Thanks for the tip - admittedly I've only tinkered with it. I'll give it another go.

Whoa, ok, can you actually explain what that means? Sounds interesting.

Dark1x explains it really well here, but basically it all stems from the fact that the NES uses non-square pixels and when you try to scale the 1:1 pixel output to a 4:3 window in a 16:9 display the pixels are distributed unevenly with some being larger than others leading to a distracting shimmering effect.

This was solved in NES Online with an interpolation filter (which was already used in the SNES classic)

Last edited:

Sonicfan1373

Nov 24, 2017
At this pace they aren't going to get to the Wii until 2022 just so they can sell more controllers.
I don't think GC and Wii games will come to the online service. If anything they will remake or remaster specific titles from those systems and either sell them individually or in a bundle. However, if I am wrong and those systems come, I fully expect Nintendo to charge more for the online once they arrive.

Dunban_Fyuria

Oct 27, 2017
I'm strangely excited to be able to play Kirby's Dream Course online with friends easily, plus Super Mario World with a friend should be really fun too.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Me as a kid with a SNES: I sure can't wait for games to be better than this.

Me as an adult: I sure can't wait to play some good old SNES games.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Sega made a game for the NES?
Vice: Project Doom was made by Sammy, who merged with SEGA.

(Amazing action game, btw. I haven't heard of it before, but it's so good. Almost beat the whole thing earlier today.)

However, there are various games SEGA licensed out to others to make on the NES. For instance, Tengen made Alien Syndrome. And famously both Tengen and Sunsoft made two completely different ports of Fantasy Zone that wildly vary in quality.

greekappi

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks for the tip - admittedly I've only tinkered with it. I'll give it another go.

Dark1x explains it really well here, but basically it all stems from the fact that the NES uses non-square pixels and when you try to scale the 1:1 pixel output to a 4:3 window in a 16:9 display the pixels are distributed unevenly with some being larger than others leading to a distracting shimmering effect.

This was solved in NES Online with an interpolation filter (which was already used in the SNES classic)
Wow, very interesting! I always play in 1:1 pixel mode because for some reason I think that the designers of these games made it with that square pixel style in mind. The aspect ratio of Mario, TMNT, and various other games actually seem more "correct" to me and the 4:3 mode looks like things are stretched too far horizontally. I'm not quite sure what he meant in the video about changing the vertical zoom if your TV supports it or what benefit you get from it concerning the pixel shimmer issue.

Edit: Oh I see, after watching the video again I noticed that the shimmer issue isn't present when playing in pixel perfect mode, which is how I always play so I never noticed any issue.

Last edited:

TheOther

Jan 10, 2019
Texas
Sammy did (the game is Vice Project Doom), which is now a part of Sega. As also mentioned, Super Puyo should be a Sega title as well (originally Compile).

If other Sammy or Atlus games show up, we could see more Sega here. Hoping for Arkista's Ring and Rockin' Cats myself.
I would love some Kemco games like Shadowgate or SNK games like Crystalis.

LeroyOctopus

Oct 29, 2017
It's a slow night at work, so I brought my Switch to maybe get some time in with these SNES games. I was hoping it would be up before I had to leave, but I guess not. I just wanted to play Joe & Mac before work.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Wow, very interesting! I always play in 1:1 pixel mode because for some reason I think that the designers of these games made it with that square pixel style in mind. The aspect ratio of Mario, TMNT, and various other games actually seem more "correct" to me and the 4:3 mode looks like things are stretched too far horizontally. I'm not quite sure what he meant in the video about changing the vertical zoom if your TV supports it or what benefit you get from it concerning the pixel shimmer issue.

Yeah, that's a bit of a can of worms but generally speaking games were produced with the knowledge that they'd be stretched to 4:3, that said some pieces of art often muddy the waters with circles drawn in 1:1 that become ovals in 4:3.

As far as the TV zoom function is concerned I think what he was getting at is using 1:1 pixel mode and using the horizontal stretch to get rectangular pixels, not sure how well that would work in practice though.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
If you don't use eshop cards for credit, it is easier to just change the region of your account in the Nintendo account site.

You need to have zero balance and automatic renewal of the online turned off

You literally edit your account, change the country, enter the eshop, put your password again and download what you want
Hm that's not a problem for my american account, I'll look into doing it later. I would need to be able to change it back right after the downloads though.

Cudpug

Nov 9, 2017
I am in the UK and can't seem to find this on the eShop yet. Does anyone know when the games / new app will be dropping? Many thanks!

Apr 24, 2018
Me as a kid with a SNES: I sure can't wait for games to be better than this.

Me as an adult: I sure can't wait to play some good old SNES games.
Haha - I wasn't quite that way when I was younger, but I was always excited to see what was next with future consoles. I already knew I was playing some amazing games with FF6, Chrono Trigger, etc. But the adult sentiment, I feel exactly the same way!

DiceHands

Oct 27, 2017
OK, I know what I am about to say is never gonna happen. But hear me out...

Do you think Nintendo would implement a Link to the Past Randomizer as a "challenge edition" like they have with the other games?

My dream of having LTTP Randomizer on my Switch is so close.... yet so far.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome stuff, for sure. And how about the unreleased Darius and Tetris ports finally seeing the light of day on the SEGA Genesis Mini? Craziness.

Yeah! I've got mine on pre-order for that reason alone, I'm hoping it's nice and easy to bring them over to my Mega Drive.

Also I love the 3 button controller so I'm hoping its nice and easy to do a boardswap and use them with real hardware.

Deleted member 4247

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now how to play this stuff... No D-pad on the Joycon, shit one on the Pro Controller. Maybe I'll have to get that controller. It works for the NES games too, right? I never got that controller since it seemed incredibly limiting. But a SNES one that works for both could be nice. If they don't mess up that D-pad too... Guess I'll wait for impressions, and use analog stick until then.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Well, there's Kirby's Dream Collection but that was back on the Wii.
I was confused as to why I never heard about Kirby's Dream Collection, but apparently it did not get a European release.

Interesting how this is a rare example of collected games on console from Nintendo, especially Game Boy.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Hm that's not a problem for my american account, I'll look into doing it later. I would need to be able to change it back right after the downloads though.
Just do the same thing
Before Brazil had its own eshop I basically changed every time i would download something

...now is just for the games the Brazilian eshop don't have which is a lot xD

Galactor

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Now how to play this stuff... No D-pad on the Joycon, shit one on the Pro Controller. Maybe I'll have to get that controller. It works for the NES games too, right? I never got that controller since it seemed incredibly limiting. But a SNES one that works for both could be nice. If they don't mess up that D-pad too... Guess I'll wait for impressions, and use analog stick until then.
The Pokken controller is really cheap and the dpad is good, its also a good option and has a long cable

Status
Not open for further replies.