• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Long post incoming. I went on Thursday and enjoyed myself. I went with a group of people but I was the only real SW fan so they joined me for the cantina and then I stayed behind for shops, food, and Smuggler's Run (the wait for Smuggler's was a bit much for the little ones in our party).

General Impressions:
  • Galaxy's Edge was busy but not at all crazy. They didn't even implement the boarding pass system all day, as far as I seen.
  • If you go, get reservations at Oga's Cantina. Apart from the Falcon this was the highlight of the trip (though I wasn't interested in Savi's so I didn't see that).
  • $150 is a bit much for Disneyland admission if all you are doing is Galaxy's Edge. I liked it but would have felt like I overpaid if we didn't do other stuff in Disneyland (we actually got park hoppers which took the price up to $200 but between both parks we did a bunch of stuff). I feel that might change once Rise of the Resistance opens up. The area for it is huge and looks really cool, I really wish that would have been open.
  • There are little things the actors will do that you have to be in the right time at the right place to catch. We seen Kylo Ren berating his troops for I think not finding something/someone while in line for Oga's. Stormtroopers are funny because they tend to stop and harass anyone with a lightsaber which I thought was funny.
  • Apart from the area set aside for Rise it was surprisingly small. Everything in the market/hangar area is tightly laid out.
  • Bring $$$. Obvious, but food/drinks/souvenirs are expensive.
  • Bring more so you can buy your own life-sized R2-D2 for a few thousand bucks :p
Oga's:
  • Drinks are strong and tasty. Alcohol beverages are all around $15 each except the souvenir mug one which is like $40. My favorite was the Bespin Fizz, which in addition to a nice taste has dry ice or something in it so it is constantly giving off vapor. If you want something real stiff, go for Jet Juice.
  • We ended up trying every alcoholic drink and each provides something interesting including the quite herb-y Slug Slinger. In total our tab for about 45 minutes there was nearly $250 with tips. Yikes, but a rich friend picked up the whole tab :)
  • Blue Bantha (blue milk with a cookie on top) was my favorite non-alcohol option. Milk was creamy (as opposed to the milk stand choices which are more slushie-like, more on that later) and the cookie was good.
  • 2 drink maximum per person in your party for ALL drinks, not just alcohol. I was a little miffed at this because we all wanted 2 boozy drinks and a Bantha, but for us it worked out because the little ones in our party counted so we just alloted all non-booze to them. They track it with a card so there is no getting around this.
  • Atmosphere is incredible, the only weird thing were the music choices. Robot DJ mainly stuck to techno and dubstep. I was expecting something more like the Mos Eisley cantina or Jabba's palace, not Skrillex clones.
  • Our bartender said the 45 minute limit is only if you snag a table. We were at the bar and she said we could stay as long as we like, so there was no rush to finish the drinks.
  • The snack mix is...unique. It does have the saltiness to match with the drinks, but I wouldn't munch it on my own.
  • I hope at some point in the future they do away with the limits. I understand that it is more for the experience and not to just get shit faced, but for seasoned boozers like us it would have been nice to get whatever we wanted with no limits. Certianly would have spent more money there if we could.
  • An absolute recommend.
Smuggler's Run (skip after the 3rd bullet point if you want to be surprised)
  • The posted wait hovered between 40-60 minutes with a squad but there is also a single-rider line. I used the single-rider line and never waited longer than 1/2 hour. People seemed to abuse this a ton, though. There were obviously groups there that just used it as a quicker line. (edit: I was mistaken on this)
  • The ride was fun. It was a decent length but could have used another sequence or two to really get the blood racing.
  • I did engineer once and pilot once. I actually got engineer twice but a girl on my 2nd run didn't want to be pilot and offered to switch me. They give you a card while you queue up so you can't just pick, so hopefully people are nice like this girl if you want to try all positions.
  • The simulation of movement and the visuals during the ride are all spectacular. Of particular note is [SPOILERS START HERE] coming out of hyperspace right outside a planet's atmosphere and then cruising down into it. Very cool.
  • Basic gist is that you are to trail some cargo transports, harpoon them, and then steal their cargo. The first time we got 1 and the second time we got 2. I'm not sure if you can get 3 or more. Pilots have to be careful to line up the ships or the engineer can't harpoon, which is the problem we ran into the first run.
  • Engineer to me was the most fun, but is in the back of the cockpit so the view isn't as good. The worse the pilots are, the more work the Engineer has. Bunch of different switches and buttons to pound when things go tits-up and you also are in charge of the harpoons.
  • Pilot obv has the best view so it definitely worth it once. Left pilot controls left/right and a booster and the right pilot controls up/down and gets to "punch it" to hyperspace. For that reason alone I heavily suggest the right position of you score a pilot card.
  • I was the left pilot crashed the Falcon pretty much right at the beginning haha. The person who came to get us after the ride made sure to remind us to try not to crash at the very beginning lol. The controls are super sensitive but it is still a blast [END SPOILERS]
  • As others have mentioned, the queue goes through the interior of the Falcon and it is very faithfully recreated.
Other Food/Drinks
  • I got green milk from the milk stand. Not great, not terrible. I'll try blue if I go again.
  • I asked an actor by the line if it is the same blue milk used in Oga's Blue Banthas and he said it's a different formula. Oga's is more...milk-y whereas the milk stands are a combination of milkshake and slushie. To me that's a little confusing, they should make the Bantha milk a different color so they don't have 2 different "Blue Milks".
  • Got Tip-Yip (a block of fried chicken about the size of a stick of butter that comes with mashed vegetables) from Docking Bay restaurant. It was quite "earthy", and felt appropriate for the environment.
  • Wanna try the ribs next time as those looked delicious, and also wanted to get something from the Roasters but I was so full by then. The meats there looked very good.
  • Ordered a "moof juice" (basically just a blend of several fruit juices) with the food but by that time I'd had so much sugar that all the sugar in this kind of got to me. Didn't taste bad, though.
Merch
  • Mugs, outfits, droids, keychains, clothes aplenty. Something for everyone. I went with a mug.
  • There are several shops, so don't just go to Dok Ondor's and think you've seen everything (though that is the coolest of them).
  • Didn't see Savi's, so can't offer any insight there. Seen several sabers, though, and they all looked cool. Ondor's also has cheaper plastic ones [edit] less expensive metal ones [edit] that aren't as expensive but the blades still look cool.
Sorry for the long post but I wanted to get that off my chest and spark my memory. I hope you all have fun if/when you go! My honest opinion is that - while still very cool in it's current state - I would wait for Rise of the Resistance to open up. Let me know if you have any questions!

Last edited:

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Smuggler's Run (skip after the 3rd bullet point if you want to be surprised)
  • The posted wait hovered between 40-60 minutes with a squad but there is also a single-rider line. I used the single-rider line and never waited longer than 1/2 hour. People seemed to abuse this a ton, though. There were obviously groups there that just used it as a quicker line.

Merch
  • Didn't see Savi's, so can't offer any insight there. Seen several sabers, though, and they all looked cool. Ondor's also has cheaper plastic ones that aren't as expensive but the blades still look cool.

Couple notes - groups can absolutely use the single rider line - they just will be split and won't get to ride together. The whole point is to fill up cockpits - so Single Riders will almost always be engineers. Single rider lines are lifeblood for folks who want to skip some of the longer queues (Radiator Springs Racers, Indy) --- but there's significant trade-off with Smuggler's Run as you will almost always be an engineer.

The Dok Ondor's sabers are actually metal and very nice for the price.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
Couple notes - groups can absolutely use the single rider line - they just will be split and won't get to ride together. The whole point is to fill up cockpits - so Single Riders will almost always be engineers. Single rider lines are lifeblood for folks who want to skip some of the longer queues (Radiator Springs Racers, Indy) --- but there's significant trade-off with Smuggler's Run as you will almost always be an engineer.

The Dok Ondor's sabers are actually metal and very nice for the price.
Sorry, thanks for the corrections. When in line for the Falcon I never noticed anyone from any other line join us so I assumed the single rider line was just for crews of singles. And I thought the sabers standing upright in the carboard boxes at Dok's were plastic. Pretty good deal consdiering that they actually aren't!

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
For those that have rode Smuggler's Run as a couple, did that help you get on the ride a little earlier? My wife and I have found being a couple sometimes gets us called up to jump a dozen people or so. It's happened with Toy Story Mania and Star Tours for example.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Engineer to me was the most fun, but is in the back of the cockpit so the view isn't as good. The worse the pilots are, the more work the Engineer has. Bunch of different switches and buttons to pound when things go tits-up and you also are in charge of the harpoons.
This is interesting, because the general consensus is that it goes Pilot > Gunner > Engineer in terms of "overall fun" - but that just shows that different people like different things about rides! I'm hoping I get to pilot on our trip in a couple of weeks. When we went in June, it was the only position I didn't get.

Your report is also interesting for another reason: there's a Disneyland enthusiast forum out there that is really struggling with a schism - there's a huge contingent of "Disney traditionalists" that are absolutely livid about Galaxy's Edge. "It ruins Walt's vision!" "I can't believe they made a land based off a single IP!" "It felt like I was in a third-world country, all shabby!" and the like. I liken it to the bubble that ResetEra can have: if you browsed the front page of Gaming for a week, you'd have no idea that Fortnite was as popular as it is, but there are millions of people out there enjoying it every day. I feel like this is the same situation: there are clearly thousands of people visiting the land and loving it, but you'd never know from visiting that forum!

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what sort of problems they have run into that it's taking this long to get it up and running.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't expecting such a huge gap between the opening of the area and the ride. I thought it was a minor delay and be open in a few weeks but December and January that's a different story.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
As someone who is going to world mid January I'm both very happy the ride will be open and very scared how crazy the line will be a little over a month after it opens.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Something must be up with the ride then, with WDW's version still in the works they probably did adjustments as they went. DL's version is, technically, built and nearly ready so they probably have to redo a lot of it.

Whatever the reason that's not going to drive people to the park for a while. The land really needs two rides otherwise it's just one big (albeit very cool) store and bar.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think it's more they just want World to have the opening first combined with not wanting to fuck DL's holiday season (the first galaxy edge opening didn't go as expected and reduced crowds, and they likely don't want to risk that again.

netguy503

Nov 15, 2017
It has 4 ride systems. I imagine a lot of it is just stress testing. If any one of those systems break down it's going to cause massive waits and extremely angry guests.
It will just be like Haunted Mansion breaking down every time I go to the park and visit it. That is an iconic part of my Disney stay and look forward to it each time I go. It will be fine.

admiraltaftbar

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Dec 9, 2017
It will just be like Haunted Mansion breaking down every time I go to the park and visit it. That is an iconic part of my Disney stay and look forward to it each time I go. It will be fine.
Wait if you mean the occasional periods of it stopping while you are riding it, I'm pretty sure that's just due to when they need to stop the ride for a guest with mobility needs. If it's always closed when you go that's just bad luck.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Whatever happens no way the launch can be worse than the hagrid roller coaster. The ride still opens mid day and closes before the park does and breaks down and closes for lightning

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait if you mean the occasional periods of it stopping while you are riding it, I'm pretty sure that's just due to when they need to stop the ride for a guest with mobility needs. If it's always closed when you go that's just bad luck.

Yeah a lot of people think the stops are break downs but it's always loading and unloading for accessibility. Same for Little Mermaid.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's too bad for Disneyland, I guess attendance is going to continue to be lower than projected for a while. I wonder if there is one part of the ride holding everything back or if all of them are hitting problems that just compound one another.

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
After waiting three hours for Flight of Passage, anything under 90 minutes suddenly looks fine by me lol

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Just got out of smugglers run, it was fun...except my parents and other family members were not expecting a video game style ride lol

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
Somebody snuck a pic out of RotR:

4ualagg6fs931.jpg

Yes, they're all animatronic.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Saw a YouTube video from a guy doing a lot of Galaxy Edge lightsaber reviews, and I guess there's a new policy in regards to buying extra "scrap metal" (Savi lightsaber pieces).

Apparently you used to be able to ask to buy whatever piece you wanted and get as many as you wanted from Dok Ondar's, but now there's a policy where you have to have your receipt from Savi's Workshop for your custom lightsaber and then you can only get two pieces from the same style of lightsaber.

This sucks since I'm planning on going in a month or two and I wanted the Elemental theme but wanted to pick up at least one part from the Power/Control theme. I guess the policy could always evolve again by then too.

I don't know where this youtuber got the policy info from, but I'm hoping that it's more of a soft policy that's more to stop scalpers from buying 20 extra pieces and selling them on eBay. I don't mind the two piece limit, I just want one piece from a different theme. :(

Thwomp

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Went to the cantina last night but the dry ice machine was broken...so just got the jabba juice which was pretty much overpriced orange juice.

Oct 25, 2017
Got my lightsaber from Savi's recently. It was a fun experience, and I like my saber.
The reservation system is awesome compared to the bullshit that they had during the cast preview.

However I wanted to get a non-standard crystal color for it afterward and couldn't. They told me they ran out of stock, all they had was red, and as a result they were limiting purchases of crystals to people also buying holocrons. The way the cast member said it and the look on her face was telling me that she knew just how shitty the situation was.

I asked if she had any idea when stock may return and she said she really didn't know, and guessed maybe in a couple weeks.
Really hoping they sort this shit out so I can get my gold blade without any bullshit hoops to jump through.

Ebay is littered right now with "SOLD OUT" crystal listings.

Saw a YouTube video from a guy doing a lot of Galaxy Edge lightsaber reviews, and I guess there's a new policy in regards to buying extra "scrap metal" (Savi lightsaber pieces).

Apparently you used to be able to ask to buy whatever piece you wanted and get as many as you wanted from Dok Ondar's, but now there's a policy where you have to have your receipt from Savi's Workshop for your custom lightsaber and then you can only get two pieces from the same style of lightsaber.

This sucks since I'm planning on going in a month or two and I wanted the Elemental theme but wanted to pick up at least one part from the Power/Control theme. I guess the policy could always evolve again by then too.

I don't know where this youtuber got the policy info from, but I'm hoping that it's more of a soft policy that's more to stop scalpers from buying 20 extra pieces and selling them on eBay. I don't mind the two piece limit, I just want one piece from a different theme. :(

I hope this is all just emergency low-stock bullshit and things go back to normal once their production can catch up.
If I am forever locked out of buying more saber parts because I didn't do it on the same day as my original visit I'm going to have a stroke.

I chose Protection and I wanted to get an emitter from Elemental at a later date.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
It looked really cheap to me and for like maybe an extra 100 I can get one of those custom built ones used for cosplay.
You might like the Legacy Lightsabers they have. They're cheaper than the build-your-own Savi Lightsabers (but you need to buy a blade separately), they're all based on movie sabers, and they look as high quality as a lot of custom ones.

Nice!
Hope they have more than that sad little display shows, haha. Those'll sell out in an hour.

It was going to be really tough to decide on a color at Savi's if I can't buy another one or two others afterwards, and I don't want one of those expensive Holocron bundles.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Apparently some of the Legacy lightsabers like Rey/Luke/Anakin's, Darth Vader's, and Mace Windu's are back in stock.

Unfortunately they also had their prices raised $20 from $110 to $130. :(

Also unfortunate is that apparently for the moment they are stopping the sale of extra Savi's lightsaber pieces (scrap). Hopefully they are allowing it again when I go in the next month, I'd rather not pay double for the pieces in eBay if I can just get them for $20 at Disneyland.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Went to the Orlando one with a friend for a cast member preview it was amazing but what a tease when the first thing you see is rise of the resistance

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
We got reservations for our September trip. Got a lunch at Oga's and a Droid Depot time slot on one day, and got a drink reservation for another evening at Oga's.

It will be perfect since our home resort is Beach Club Villas, so we can take advantage of Star Wars and Food and Wine!

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
We got reservations for our September trip. Got a lunch at Oga's and a Droid Depot time slot on one day, and got a drink reservation for another evening at Oga's.

It will be perfect since our home resort is Beach Club Villas, so we can take advantage of Star Wars and Food and Wine!
Did you have to have the tickets purchased first to book a reservation online?

I'm trying to see if slots for Savi's Workshop are available for the day I want to go in September, but the reservation page never loads, it just shows a gif of the Falcon flying.

Or does it not really matter? I know I hear about plenty of people getting into Oga's and Savi's without a reservation beforehand.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Did you have to have the tickets purchased first to book a reservation online?

I'm trying to see if slots for Savi's Workshop are available for the day I want to go in September, but the reservation page never loads, it just shows a gif of the Falcon flying.

Or does it not really matter? I know I hear about plenty of people getting into Oga's and Savi's without a reservation beforehand.
You don't need to buy tickets. That page you're seeing is just a queue for the page itself. You need to wait until it's your turn before the page loads. Saavi's shouldn't be a problem getting reservations for. Your best bet for Oga's is day of reservation. I image it's going to be a bit more chaotic at Disney World than Disneyland.