• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Disney needs to build more parks. Put one in Texas. The demand is too crazy. Time to expand.
Not going to happen anytime soon in the US. The kind of feverish demand that Disney commands is beneficial for them and it isn't wise to expand to meet it, as it allows them to continue increasing prices on their existing properties, retain the special feeling of their parks' unique qualities, and keep operating costs low. They learned a little too well what happens when you expand too quickly in the Eisner era.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks! This is really helpful. She'd be happy to sit somewhere for an hour if need be because she knows how much I love Star Wars. I didn't know they had a single rider line.

Do you have to wait in line to get into the store?
There was a short line for Dok Ondar's (the store where you can buy most of the coolest/more premium items, like legacy lightsabers) but the other stores you can just walk up to/in. There's also a line to build a Droid at the depot, but you can walk in and browse/purchase the other goods without waiting in a line.

There was no wait for the restaurant (Docking Bay 7).

Keep in mind this was all during the reservation period. I'm not sure how things will change now that it's truly open.

I still have my fingers crossed for some sort of reservation system for WDW. Even if they implement it just for the EMH 6-9am times allotted for Resort guests that start on Sept 1. I feel like that could be fair game. Free for all to reserve for resort stays, but limit 1 reservation time per resort booking.

Nevertheless, we arrive on the 28th (this trip had been booked prior to the announced opening) so I'm preparing for the worst lol.

After experiencing the Raptors parade, I'm ready for anything.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Only downside to the end of these reservation periods is they were sold out of tons of stuff like kyber crystals.

I never got to see the Sabacc deck.
No Jedi patches :(
Several legacy sabers were sold out.
Personality chip for droids all sold out.
That's definitely a worry for me when I go. On one hand having some of the lagacy sabers sold out would help make my decision easier, but on the other hand if they're sold out of one that I REALLY want it would suck to have to wait months or a year and pay for tickets to go again and hope1 its there again.
Mace Windu's saber looks sick tho:

Don't remind me, haha.

I love the look of that one with its sleek shiny silver and gold, the cool looking upper grip texture, and of course the purple blade.
It's only downside for me is that I don't have as much nostalgia for it as I do for some of the others.

Plus I like the idea of using a Legacy Saber for a Halloween costume prop this year, and as a white guy with a full head of hair I don't think being Samuel L. Jackson is exactly an option for me, haha.

I guess just generic Jedi could work with it, but I kinda liked the idea of either ESB Luke with Yoda in his back or Kylo Ren.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
That's definitely a worry for me when I go. On one hand having some of the lagacy sabers sold out would help make my decision easier, but on the other hand if they're sold out of one that I REALLY want it would suck to have to wait months or a year and pay for tickets to go again and hope1 its there again.

Don't remind me, haha.

I love the look of that one with its sleek shiny silver and gold, the cool looking upper grip texture, and of course the purple blade.
It's only downside for me is that I don't have as much nostalgia for it as I do for some of the others.

Plus I like the idea of using a Legacy Saber for a Halloween costume prop this year, and as a white guy with a full head of hair I don't think being Samuel L. Jackson is exactly an option for me, haha.

I guess just generic Jedi could work with it, but I kinda liked the idea of either ESB Luke with Yoda in his back or Kylo Ren.

Bad news today. Theyre still out of stock on things so it looks like they weren't holding out for opening day and were really out of stock on things.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I guess due to the shortage of crystals, you're required to buy a holocron if you want one and you're limited to one per holocron purchase.

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My immersion is ruined

Saw those porgs at Star Trader over the weekend, they must have sold out of the more expensive puppet ones because those plushes are cheap af.

It's wild hearing how quiet the park has been. Not what i was expecting at all.

I think the Star Wars fans already got theirs so now it's dying down and regulated well. Regular park goers are traveling for the whole park for their summer vacations, not just Star Wars. I expect weekends to still be a little crazy though and we'll see how long they stay with the Boarding Pass stuff. Looking at the app this morning you can slide right into the Cantina for a lunch reservation today.

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's wild hearing how quiet the park has been. Not what i was expecting at all.
It'll ramp up. Disney scared off people with the reservation period. Now people are being careful because of the "first day"/week of true opening. But it WILL get busy as summer progresses. Especially with 4th of July around the corner. Also let's see what happens when we actually get to the weekend.

The fact that they don't have the second ride open though could, potentially, be causing some people to hold off for now. Some people don't go to Disneyland more than once a year (if even).

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
It'll ramp up. Disney scared off people with the reservation period. Now people are being careful because of the "first day"/week of true opening. But it WILL get busy as summer progresses. Especially with 4th of July around the corner. Also let's see what happens when we actually get to the weekend.

The fact that they don't have the second ride open though could, potentially, be causing some people to hold off for now. Some people don't go to Disneyland more than once a year (if even).

It is a given that it'll increase in the summer since it is always packed in the summer. But I wonder if there's a couple of things at play here... first I think since the ticket hike price this year Disneyland has seemed less crowded to me. Two I know Star Wars is really popular but I think is one of those niche popular brands. The hardcore fans already came and experienced it and now is just the general population who don't really care for it. And third which I found as huge issue to me and makes it the worse land in all of pArk, is that it feels like everywhere you turn in Star Wars land there's a store to buy buy buy and seems more expensive than the norm. Could've build some small ride like a dumbo but with x-wing and tie fighters or a carousel. This was the biggest turn off to me and my wife which To her it just seems like it was a place to shop. All the other lands have multiple rides for all ages and "high intensity " rides and doesn't feel like there's a shop every where you turn. 😩😤

TDLink

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is a given that it'll increase in the summer since it is always packed in the summer. But I wonder if there's a couple of things at play here... first I think since the ticket hike price this year Disneyland has seemed less crowded to me. Two I know Star Wars is really popular but I think is one of those niche popular brands. The hardcore fans already came and experienced it and now is just the general population who don't really care for it. And third which I found as huge issue to me and makes it the worse land in all of pArk, is that it feels like everywhere you turn in Star Wars land there's a store to buy buy buy and seems more expensive than the norm. Could've build some small ride like a dumbo but with x-wing and tie fighters or a carousel. This was the biggest turn off to me and my wife which To her it just seems like it was a place to shop. All the other lands have multiple rides for all ages and "high intensity " rides and doesn't feel like there's a shop every where you turn. 😩😤
The bolded is definitely wrong. Star Wars' popularity isn't "niche". The people who are going to come build $200 lightsabers in droves -may- be niche, but the overall popularity far surpasses something like Harry Potter. It's one of the biggest franchises on the planet.

Don't disagree with the rest of your post though. The land needs way more to do than just shops. It looks nice but in the long run that doesn't mean much. Rise not being ready for launch/them not delaying launch for Rise is a significant problem.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still have my fingers crossed for some sort of reservation system for WDW. Even if they implement it just for the EMH 6-9am times allotted for Resort guests that start on Sept 1. I feel like that could be fair game. Free for all to reserve for resort stays, but limit 1 reservation time per resort booking.
If they were going to have a reservation system for Hollywood Studios, I imagine they would have announced it by now.

If you are willing to show up at 5AM for Extra Magic Hours, I imagine you will get to see and do pretty much everything in Galaxy's Edge without a lot of trouble.

PanzerKraken

Nov 1, 2017
Pandora is packed at all times and it's tiny and pretty crappy outside it's one cool ride. Star Wars is gonna be crazy.

The reservation stuff is keeping things calm, once the flood gates open it's gonna be a mad house.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Two I know Star Wars is really popular but I think is one of those niche popular brands. The hardcore fans already came and experienced it and now is just the general population who don't really care for it.
If Star Wars is niche then what is Avatar with it's 2+ hour wait times.

And third which I found as huge issue to me and makes it the worse land in all of pArk, is that it feels like everywhere you turn in Star Wars land there's a store to buy buy buy and seems more expensive than the norm.

Welcome to Disney? The only reason I could see why it feels worse than other areas is probably because of the market area with smaller shops that would probably be one shop anywhere else.

Could've build some small ride like a dumbo but with x-wing and tie fighters or a carousel. This was the biggest turn off to me and my wife which To her it just seems like it was a place to shop. All the other lands have multiple rides for all ages and "high intensity " rides and doesn't feel like there's a shop every where you turn. 😩😤

Please no. They shot themselves in the foot not waiting for Rise of the Resistance to be ready, but don't do some piss poor ride just to have a ride.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I guess due to the shortage of crystals, you're required to buy a holocron if you want one and you're limited to one per holocron purchase.

That blows, but it's understandable for now at least.

They better allow Kyber Crystals to be bought individually once their supply shortages are over. I'm guessing they were popular because they're one of the smaller, more affordable souvenirs. Probably even people without Savi lightsabers want them.

I have no interest in the Holocrons, but I do want at least a few other color crystals when I go.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017

Do they tell you which crystal you get with a holocron purchase or is it random? Seeing as I've heard no stock of Kyber Crystals until late August, gonna assume they are all blue?

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Do they tell you which crystal you get with a holocron purchase or is it random? Seeing as I've heard no stock of Kyber Crystals until late August, gonna assume they are all blue?
This is what the article says:

These reportedly come unpackaged as it appears Dok has struck a deal with The Gatherers and obtained a small quantity of loose red and blue kyber crystals just for those who purchase the holocrons.

So from the sounds of it, if you go to Savi's for a custom saber you probably want to avoid red and blue if you intend on getting an additional crystal.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
yeah Disneyland will get busy again. cast member + AP blockouts right now, combined with normal folk steering clear of perceived "insanity"

once the California passes are unblocked out... look out.

kIdMuScLe

Oct 27, 2017
Los angeles
Please no. They shot themselves in the foot not waiting for Rise of the Resistance to be ready, but don't do some piss poor ride just to have a ride.

What's wrong with having an all ages ride? Are small kids not allowed to have fun at Star Wars land? It wouldn't even take up much space having a simple ride like dumbo. To me There seems to be lots of wasted space. Every land but Star Wars has a ride for everyone. But whatever I'm done complaining about how boring Star Wars is... sorry no more derailing

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Don't know HOW confirmed this is but apparently you can buy spare saber parts from Savi's
http://anakinandhisangel.blogspot.com/2019/06/star-wars-galaxys-edge-purchasing-extra.html?m=1
Hopefully this is still a thing (and confirmed by more people) when I go in a few months.
That would make going with the Elemental/Nature theme much easier, since I really like the look of 3 of the hilt/grip pieces.

Sadly with the different themes having such different metal colors I feel like it'd be hard to mix pieces between the themes and end up with a good looking lightsaber, but I'm sure there are a few that might work well.

If I get Elemental/Nature I might try to get the Power/Control middle switch piece. I really like the one with the red dot, I'm just not sure if it'd look good with the rest of the Ekemental/Nature theme.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
What's wrong with having an all ages ride? Are small kids not allowed to have fun at Star Wars land? It wouldn't even take up much space having a simple ride like dumbo. To me There seems to be lots of wasted space. Every land but Star Wars has a ride for everyone. But whatever I'm done complaining about how boring Star Wars is... sorry no more derailing

I would rather something unique than a copy and paste of Dumbo or the Magic Carpet. If it's for the kids, fine, but at least let the experience be unique.

That's where Rise of the Resistance comes in. And there's plenty of expansion in the land that they've said they'll eventually use.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Now seems like the best time to go into some stuff for Galaxy's Edge although I always felt the depot was the least interesting.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Going on Monday when I have a day off work is so tempting, but I just spent 200 on celebration tickets... grrr why you gotta be so expensive Disney.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Now seems like the best time to go into some stuff for Galaxy's Edge although I always felt the depot was the least interesting.

From what I've seen, there just isn't as much variety in the droids compared to the lightsabers. Outside of the color schemes its all the same body types and everything.

Firewithin

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Orange County
my buddy and his family went on fathers day and said this was really cool. the one ride they did sounded cool if you have cool people with you though.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
From what I've seen, there just isn't as much variety in the droids compared to the lightsabers. Outside of the color schemes its all the same body types and everything.

It also doesn't help that everything else like accessories, decals, and personality chips cost extra and from what I can tell the experience seems really hectic. With Savi's, while it costs more, you get everything that's offered there for one cost and the experience is less chaotic and more personal.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
There are different head shapes for the droids. It's not just color swaps. And they are 100 dollars cheaper. If you are going to splurge for extra parts, you can have greater customization. Plus the droids interact with the park itself.

Just looking at total options, I'd say the lightsabers and droids are about even. You get more shapes at the lightsabers (limited to 1 style though), but I don't see color variations outside the blade color.

I imagine both will see plenty of variety in the years to come. It's a pretty easy thing to introduce extra parts here and there.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Sooo, has anyone had trouble with their workshopped lightsabers? I think Savi sold me a dud lol :(
The internal gyro within must be broken since I get no sound effects when I swing or move it now.
Guess I should have gone for an intergalactic insurance plan for this thing.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Sooo, has anyone had trouble with their workshopped lightsabers? I think Savi sold me a dud lol :(
The internal gyro within must be broken since I get no sound effects when I swing or move it now.
Are you able to contact Disney customer support?

I remembered reading they have a 30 day warranty, but that might have been for the Legacy Sabers. Either way they must be able to do it through the mail since it's not exactly likely someone can just come back to Disneyland to swap it.

Oct 31, 2017
Not going to happen anytime soon in the US. The kind of feverish demand that Disney commands is beneficial for them and it isn't wise to expand to meet it, as it allows them to continue increasing prices on their existing properties, retain the special feeling of their parks' unique qualities, and keep operating costs low. They learned a little too well what happens when you expand too quickly in the Eisner era.

Texas is a damn gold mine that should be closely looked at. Tremendous economy. 30 million people in the state. Another 30M or so within 300 miles of Central TX. That's a lot of revenue. I know Disney was looking at it some years back, but that probably got kicked down the roadmap because you are right. They are looking more closely now at more Disney parks overseas. If I'm part of the board I'm voting to invest capital in a second park at DLS and/or a second DLR in China (Chongqi or Chengdu).

Isn't Euro Disneyland still not profitable? Goddamn did Eisner fuck that up.

That's the reason Disney got full ownership of that for pennies on the dollar, and are now investing billions to turn that around.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

try taking out the battery power pack and putting it back in. Happened with one of mine and it works now.

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017
Are you able to contact Disney customer support?

I remembered reading they have a 30 day warranty, but that might have been for the Legacy Sabers. Either way they must be able to do it through the mail since it's not exactly likely someone can just come back to Disneyland to swap it.
try taking out the battery power pack and putting it back in. Happened with one of mine and it works now.

Haven't tried either yet!
I'll try both this weekend. Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

chairhome

Oct 27, 2017
Orlando
My wife works at Disney World in Orlando, and we're on vacation in California. We think they changed the blockout dates for employees due to less than expected crowding at galaxys edge, cause originally we weren't able to use her employee passes on Disneyland but they changed it last week.
As a result, I was able to visit galaxys edge and I was very impressed. I bought a Jedi holocron, but they only had red and blue khyber crystals left. Did smugglers run, wait was less than an hour. Park was a little crowded. Might go back today

ragingbegal

Oct 27, 2017
They have to have considered new parks in America before, but the cost to establish a whole new property must be considered too great right now.
They have. Disney's America in Virginia, Disney Sea in Long Beach, Calif., And Riverfront Square in St. Louis. Let's not also forget that Disney Quest was originally imagined as a chain of Disney VR parks for major cities.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
That's exactly how I was hoping it would work out. Good to know.
I saw a pic online of another person who was able to buy "spare parts" for their lightsaber and it looked really good. I'll see if I can find the Twitter or youtube post.

Edit: here it is from SirJames Gamerfuzion on youtube:
Um4Wf0jQ8vZ_SOpVqCH4kQ_CGGMKlwamhpeZ82pvbECC-XQmJzAgs-Hh7C7xcJKPt1VPlMIV-TxEag=s1600-nd

You can see that they got two of the same hilt pieces which you ordinarily couldn't do, I think having both the same for the Protection and Defense one looks great, at least for his since he could get them to line up properly, I know some people couldnt get pieces to align just right.

I really, really hope that Disney continues to allow this by the time I go (don't see why they wouldn't, it's just more money for them), I'd love to get a Elemental Nature lightsaber with an extra hilt and a Power/Control middle piece.

Last edited:

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Those that went to Galaxy's Edge and gotten a lightsaber, did you guys try to ride other rides after?

Wondering once WDW's opens, if they'll be able to send it to your room like other purchases. Cause I don't see how a saber will make it on Rock N Roller Coaster.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Those that went to Galaxy's Edge and gotten a lightsaber, did you guys try to ride other rides after?

Wondering once WDW's opens, if they'll be able to send it to your room like other purchases. Cause I don't see how a saber will make it on Rock N Roller Coaster.

I wonder if they will treat it like the rest of the land and use "Star Wars Language". Like, "We can ship it to your quarters off-world."

JetmanJay

Nov 1, 2017

Yep, I rode rides after. Space Mountain I was really fucking iffy with, and I didn't want to go on with it and didn't think they'd let me, but they did so I begrudgingly did it, and my girlfriend wanted me to try to whip it out for the picture - NOPE.
Indiana Jones ride, they had a few broken ones come off that so they wouldn't let me on with it. (Wasn't going to anyway, thought Space Mountain was really pushing it). No idea on Matterhorn, Thunder Mountain, or Splash Mountain since we did those before I had my saber. Did Pirates, and Haunted Mansion with no issues and wasn't stopped.
(Oh and this is having it in the carrying case that comes with a Savi Saber. I wasn't rocking it out in the open)