• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Do they sell parts at any of the stores? That's kinda lame if they don't but it may make me get a legacy hilt instead.

No they don't sell the parts anywhere. It's a pretty exclusive thing right now to have those sabers built.
Someone already built one of each theme and sold the pins alone for $300 so in a way it was a buy 3 get one free sort of deal.
Also better for those hardcore pin collector who don't want to drop $850 just to get all 4 pins.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
With the reservation system the crowds are always the same. Olga's will be mobbed but everything else should not be to bad. If you want to do Olga's have someone get in line right away and give them a phone number.
My plan is to head straight for the lightsaber creation then smuggler run about halfway through my reservation (starts at 11). Olga's is a toss up since I'm not planning on drinking that day anyway

How solid is my plan for wait times?

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
My plan is to head straight for the lightsaber creation then smuggler run about halfway through my reservation (starts at 11). Olga's is a toss up since I'm not planning on drinking that day anyway

How solid is my plan for wait times?

As long as you go straight to build a lightsaber, you're good.
Smugglers run like is nothing after an hour or 2 into your reserve. In the beginning it's a wait so it's best to skip that first.

CesareNorrez

Oct 25, 2017
Question for those that have tried the Milks. Have you also tried Taiwanese Milk Tea (Boba/Bubble Tea, with or without bubbles)? And if so, are they comparable? I'm thinking I might like the Blue and Green Milks as I love Bubble Tea. I understand the texture would be different.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Oh, nice. Thank you for the feedback!

Also they may or may not mark your wristband. That doesn't mean you can't ride it again, I think it's just their way to minimize riders if another reserve crowd comes in and it gets too congested then they'll limit you to that one ride. Otherwise you can hop on as many times as you'd like. Another person advised me if you want to be a pilot (pilot and Gunner are the only good ones) then you can ask to wait until you're a pilot.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Does anyone know how the opening will work for Galaxy's Edge at Disney World?

From what I've read so far, it doesn't seem they're doing the reservation but it's best to see if that changes ones Disneylands Galaxy's edge comes out of reservation period on June 23rd.

I just know Disney world is offered the extra-Extra magic hour giving guests even more time before the park opens.

Deception

Nov 15, 2017
From what I've read so far, it doesn't seem they're doing the reservation but it's best to see if that changes ones Disneylands Galaxy's edge comes out of reservation period on June 23rd.

I just know Disney world is offered the extra-Extra magic hour giving guests even more time before the park opens.
Awesome thanks! My family is going to be in Disney world late-September and they were wondering how it would all work and I hadn't found a definitive answer yet so figured i'd ask here.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Finally found a video with Kylo Ren's legacy lightsaber.

Not the best quality look (more of a cute video with a dad and his son), but at least it's something.

One cool thing I hadn't heard anywhere is that Kylo's lightsaber lights seems to flicker a little to mimic his unstable blade from the movies which is a really nice touch.

Unless up-close details on it are mediocre (which I doubt given all the others), I'm all but certain I'll get this one.

Last edited:

Deleted member 3542

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question for those that have tried the Milks. Have you also tried Taiwanese Milk Tea (Boba/Bubble Tea, with or without bubbles)? And if so, are they comparable? I'm thinking I might like the Blue and Green Milks as I love Bubble Tea. I understand the texture would be different.

The milks are more like a liquified slushy that's very sweet. It's nothing like bubble tea.

It's a pretty unique texture. I liked it, my fiance did not. She was ok with the flavor but not how it felt in her mouth.

Twstr709

Oct 27, 2017

Some guy caught the Falcon ride breaking down. It's really interesting. It does have spoilers for the ride if you were avoiding that.

The milks from the Milk Stand are basically liquefied slushies as another poster said. I liked the texture, as it's kinda like a thick Jamba Juice smoothie to me.

If you go to Oga's Cantina however and get the Blue Bantha (blue milk with a sugar cookie), that blue milk is more consistent with the mouthfeel of what you expect actual milk (whether cow or alternative) to be like.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Still glad that I'll have a few months before I go to Disneyland.
I keep flip-flopping on getting a custom lightsaber vs the legacy lightsabers.

The fact that some of the custom ones aren't able to align perfect is a little worrying (it would endlessly bug me if mine did that), but it's still something that I wont be able to get anywhere else. The Power/Control one also has some parts that wouldn't look bad if they were weren't perfectly aligned, so I've considering that one more and more.

I just wish they let you switch themes if you ended up not liking the one you choose. I'd love the elemental nature one, as long as all the pieces lined up, but if not, I'd want to switch to Power/Control (or try fresh pieces to see if I could get pieces that aligned).

I understand they're swamped and Savi's will probably continue to be at max capacity for a long time, it would just be nice to have the option even if only in the future.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
Finally found a video with Kylo Ren's legacy lightsaber.

Not the best quality look (more of a cute video with a dad and his son), but at least it's something.

One cool thing I hadn't heard anywhere is that Kylo's lightsaber lights seems to flicker a little to mimic his unstable blade from the movies which is a really nice touch.

Unless up-close details on it are mediocre (which I doubt given all the others), I'm all but certain I'll get this one.

I have to imagine that the new Kylo Ren lightsaber is really similar to the old Disney Parks one, which I have, and is awesome*. It looks almost identical to what I can see in that video. The hilt I have is very nicely detailed and has a great heft to it.

* The soundboard on the old Disney Parks sabers stunk, but everything I've seen points to the new legacy lightsabers using a newer, better one.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Last night I dreamed that I went to Galaxy's Edge and bought a lightsaber that had an NES controller on the hilt.

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
Kylo Sen Lightsaber is 70 dollars at the Disney character Warehouse

Any word on the reservation system for Disney World yet. Its going to be crazy. So glad Disney moved the Gator Hurricane game up a week

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I have to imagine that the new Kylo Ren lightsaber is really similar to the old Disney Parks one, which I have, and is awesome*. It looks almost identical to what I can see in that video. The hilt I have is very nicely detailed and has a great heft to it.

* The soundboard on the old Disney Parks sabers stunk, but everything I've seen points to the new legacy lightsabers using a newer, better one.
Yeah, I was looking for reviews on the legacy lightsabers and found some from a year or more ago on Rey's and Mace Windu's that look almost identical to these new Legacy Lightsabers and were also exclusive to Disneyland parks, except that some of them couldn't have the blades removed.

I assume the Legacy lightsabers are updates to those ones to work with the new blade mechanism and (seemingly) higher quality components.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Quick question: there's a line formed in front of the hungry bear. This this line real as in we have to be in it or did someone just think there had to be a line

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Well, the trip was a success! Some notes:

- As others have said, you basically have to choose whether you want to do the Cantina or build a lightsaber, because the lines for each fill up pretty much immediately. At the beginning of our reservation, they had one cast member with a flag leading the way to each of these two, so that it wasn't as much of a mad dash. We were probably 10th in line for the lightsabers, spent about 15 minutes in the line / choosing the design / paying for them, and then our return time was 1hr 45mins later.

- The lightsaber experience is well-done, and a bit cheesy, just like you'd expect. The building room is quite cool, and it's clearly purpose-built: it doesn't feel like "we had this room and now we build sabers in it." I got a Protection and Defense one, and my wife went with Peace and Justice. Hers is significantly heavier - I joked with the CM that she wanted to be able to do damage without even turning on the blade. Mine doesn't align perfectly, but I realized that's only because I was focused on making things perfectly symmetrical, which doesn't look as interesting.

- We rode Smuggler's Run twice. Both times, we ended up in groups with people who had done it multiple times already, but they got the "better" seats and had no interest in trading. I was an engineer the first time, and a gunner the second. Engineer definitely felt like the lesser of the two, and by all accounts the pilot seats are more interesting than both. A fun ride, nothing game-changing, but the scoring system and the theming make it absolutely worthwhile. Bonus: my wife gets motion sickness on Star Tours, basically making it a no-go for her, but this wasn't nearly as bad.

- The overall theming of the land is superb. I'd put it at least on a level with Diagon Alley in Orlando, but I'm a significantly bigger Star Wars fan than Harry Potter. Tons of details, good cast member interactions, and the Datapad stuff was more fun than I expected. I really enjoyed trying to learn enough Aurebesh to not need the translator! As with everything in the parks, night-time is truly something special.

- We had the 5pm - 9pm slot, but stayed a bit past 10. They weren't kicking people out, but past your reservation time they won't let you into the ride, etc. We watched the fireworks, which are really impressive and loud in Batuu. No announcements or music, so a bit surreal. It'd be fun if they played the Victory Celebration music for part of it, I think. As much as I'd love Yub Nub, I don't think that's happening. :)

- Expect to spend more than you think. I didn't think we'd want to get anything besides the lightsabers, but my wife found a Jabba plush that was way too cute, and I ended up with a wooden sandcrawler that is really cool.

- Laura Dern (Vice Admiral Holdo herself!) was there, visiting with (presumably) family. I didn't see which Legacy lightsaber she picked out, sadly.

Overall, it's extremely well-done. Curious to see how the crowds change as time goes on, and the "Resistance" part of the land is a bit barren at the moment, but that's to be expected - there's a ride that isn't there yet, and it's supposed to feel more "rural" than the other half.

E:
Quick question: there's a line formed in front of the hungry bear. This this line real as in we have to be in it or did someone just think there had to be a line
There isn't supposed to be a "line," they just tell people to congregate. We arrived an hour before our reservation time, and sat on the railing across from the entrance (the ramp that goes down by the bathrooms). When they started leading people in, we simply walked across and ended up pretty close to the front of our group. What are you trying to do while on-planet? :)

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At the beginning of our reservation, they had one cast member with a flag leading the way to each of these two, so that it wasn't as much of a mad dash.

Oh that's a new wrinkle and smart of them. The holding area is just people pushing around once it opens but with that I think it will keep the stampede at bay.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Oh that's a new wrinkle and smart of them. The holding area is just people pushing around once it opens but with that I think it will keep the stampede at bay.
Our holding area was well-behaved - there was obviously some fast-walking to each stopping point, but no pushing or anything like that. Once they truly "let us out," it was a pretty orderly brisk walk through the first area, and then the mass split in two as the lightsaber folks went left, and the cantina folks went right. Some confusion because Savi's is supposed to be "hidden"... I was glad I knew to look for the blue banner!

Deleted member 3542

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Our holding area was well-behaved - there was obviously some fast-walking to each stopping point, but no pushing or anything like that. Once they truly "let us out," it was a pretty orderly brisk walk through the first area, and then the mass split in two as the lightsaber folks went left, and the cantina folks went right. Some confusion because Savi's is supposed to be "hidden"... I was glad I knew to look for the blue banner!

I think what it is - it only takes a handful of those going crazy to cause others to think they have to do the same and it's just a domino effect. But there were runners and shovers when I went.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
They upgraded me to an earlier time for lightsabers because I was by myself (about 20-30 min from purchase)

Other than the Falcon set, I picked up a number of these patches while in Galaxy's Edge.

uNLFG8K.jpg

HNFjIDU.jpg

zASEBpM.jpg

H9kFQxz.jpg

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finally got to go!

Blue milk was interesting. Tasted like blueberry bubblegum melted popsicle slushie.

Lightsaber construction was cool. Seems like if you're by yourself and they have an empty slot they'll bump you ahead to fill it so your wait time is potentially much smaller. Sold out a few minutes after I got in line though. Droid depot seemingly never sells out.

Rode Smuggler's Run 3 times because the line was 15 minutes (honestly the actual wait was less than that, even counting the preshow). Got all 3 positions. Pilot was definitely the most fun. I was on right side so I got to hit the light speed lever. Gunner is mostly a "sit back and watch" position, and engineer is the least fun because you're constantly looking at this wall of panels.

Overall I had a blast.

One question though: Is it possible to hit the brakes in time in Smugglers Run? Every single left pilot we had failed it.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Finally got to go!

Blue milk was interesting. Tasted like blueberry bubblegum melted popsicle slushie.

Lightsaber construction was cool. Seems like if you're by yourself and they have an empty slot they'll bump you ahead to fill it so your wait time is potentially much smaller. Sold out a few minutes after I got in line though. Droid depot seemingly never sells out.

Rode Smuggler's Run 3 times because the line was 15 minutes (honestly the actual wait was less than that, even counting the preshow). Got all 3 positions. Pilot was definitely the most fun. I was on right side so I got to hit the light speed lever. Gunner is mostly a "sit back and watch" position, and engineer is the least fun because you're constantly looking at this wall of panels.

Overall I had a blast.

One question though: Is it possible to hit the brakes in time in Smugglers Run? Every single left pilot we had failed it.

it is possible

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I took a look at some other on ride POVs to see if anyone succeeded and I saw one person find the brakes in time. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that they did this on purpose by not telling you where the brakes were because it's a callback to the old Star Tours (Brakes! Brakes! WHERE ARE THE BRAKES?!). I also found out that if you do horribly the hyperspeed drive fails midway and you get an asteroid field fight.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Disney announced Passholder Preview Events for the Hollywood Studios version. The catch is that they are only allowing platinum, platinum plus, and premiere passholders. Then to stop people from upgrading their passes en masse, Disney went and hiked the AP prices up overnight. Platinum and higher passes got a $100+ increase for the year.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Finally found a good Kylo Ren lightsaber video:

Almost positive that's the legacy lightsaber I want to get when I go. It flickers the main blade to simulate it's unstable look from the movies and includes both the cross blades a belt clip since it has a unique adapter.

Thinking of going with that one and most likely a Savi one too. Probably the Elemental Nature one which I think is the most unique of all the options and i think it has enough pieces I like that if any aren't aligned perfectly there are others that are general enought that they wont look bad (like the leather grip looking piece, or the circular top).

The Power & Control one I like quite a bit too. Simpler design choices, but i like the subtle red on some of the pieces.

Zulith

Oct 25, 2017
West Coast, USA
How bad do you guys think its going to be on the 24th when its open to everyone?
That's the real test isn't it? Should be a madhouse. People going during the reservation period have made some complaints about the four hour limit, which is understandable, but they have to appreciate that they are also going when the crowds are being strictly limited, which is a huge plus for them. So while lines may still get long during this period, you'd have to imagine they will get way worse once Disney removes this limitation.

CyrilFiggis

Nov 3, 2017
Pennsylvania
That's the real test isn't it? Should be a madhouse. People going during the reservation period have made some complaints about the four hour limit, which is understandable, but they have to appreciate that they are also going when the crowds are being strictly limited, which is a huge plus for them. So while lines may still get long during this period, you'd have to imagine they will get way worse once Disney removes this limitation.
I am fearing the worst but hopeful that it won't be toooo bad on a weekday. I'm going next Thursday with a group of people and most will be doing Disney princess stuff. I want to peel off and enjoy this for a bit. I guess the best bet is to get in the queue as soon as possible. I have an old ass phone so I can't use their app but as I understand it you can also enter the queue at select locations around the park. I need to get their first thing upon entering the park.

Edit: Wait does the whole lightsaber come in a box that small as in the video above? Like what about the main blade, it seems too big to fit in that box? I was going to pass on this just because I didn't want to lug a whole lightsaber around and get on a plane with it but if the whole package comes in a box that size I might get one.

Last edited:

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Wait does the whole lightsaber come in a box that small as in the video above? Like what about the main blade, it seems too big to fit in that box? I was going to pass on this just because I didn't want to lug a whole lightsaber around and get on a plane with it but if the whole package comes in a box that size I might get one.

The blade is a separate item and they also come in 3 sizes, I believe.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
EDit: Wait does the whole lightsaber come in a box that small as in the video above? Like what about the main blade, it seems too big to fit in that box? I was going to pass on this just because I didn't want to lug a whole lightsaber around and get on a plane with it but if the whole package comes in a box that size I might get one.
The Legacy lightsabers are sold without the blade so they can fit in that case.

There's 3 sizes of blades you can get.
At Dok Ondar's you can get a 26in or a 36in blade. (I think they're $45 and $50)
Then if you get a Savi custom lightsaber it comes with a 32in blade (I've heard that one isn't sold at Dok Ondar's).

If you make a custom lightsaber at Savi's you get a padded fabric tube (with shoulder strap) that let's you store it with the blade attached.

So if you want a lightsaber with a blade and are taking it on a plane it might be best to get the shorter one or make sure your bag is big enough.
I read an article that airlines do let you fly with them, but if you can't fit them in your existing carry-on then they count as a separate carry-on.

TSA has a funny article about lightsabers too:
https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/light-saber

Hopefully Disney will eventually sell the blades separately online (I'm sure they'll start breaking if people hit them in stuff hard enough)

Last edited:

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Well, the trip was a success! Some notes:

- As others have said, you basically have to choose whether you want to do the Cantina or build a lightsaber, because the lines for each fill up pretty much immediately. At the beginning of our reservation, they had one cast member with a flag leading the way to each of these two, so that it wasn't as much of a mad dash. We were probably 10th in line for the lightsabers, spent about 15 minutes in the line / choosing the design / paying for them, and then our return time was 1hr 45mins later.

- We rode Smuggler's Run twice. Both times, we ended up in groups with people who had done it multiple times already, but they got the "better" seats and had no interest in trading. I was an engineer the first time, and a gunner the second. Engineer definitely felt like the lesser of the two, and by all accounts the pilot seats are more interesting than both. A fun ride, nothing game-changing, but the scoring system and the theming make it absolutely worthwhile. Bonus: my wife gets motion sickness on Star Tours, basically making it a no-go for her, but this wasn't nearly as bad.

If you don't ride the Falcon twice, couldn't you go to the Cantina? Or is it, the other lines were too long so the Falcon was still short?

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
If you don't ride the Falcon twice, couldn't you go to the Cantina? Or is it, the other lines were too long so the Falcon was still short?
The line for the Cantina "fills up" for a given reservation block immediately. If you're not in that line right at the start, you're likely not getting in. They get your number and get back to you when your spot opens up. With the lightsaber shop, they give you a return time, but same situation: you either go there right as you enter the land, or not at all.

Of course, this will all change once Galaxy's Edge is open to all without a reservation! 😀

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
The line for the Cantina "fills up" for a given reservation block immediately. If you're not in that line right at the start, you're likely not getting in. They get your number and get back to you when your spot opens up. With the lightsaber shop, they give you a return time, but same situation: you either go there right as you enter the land, or not at all.

Of course, this will all change once Galaxy's Edge is open to all without a reservation! 😀

Got it.

That means I can't get chance dice unless I am in the Cantina?

Curious if this is how they are doing it in Orlando too since that is where I'll be going.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Got it.

That means I can't get chance dice unless I am in the Cantina?

Curious if this is how they are doing it in Orlando too since that is where I'll be going.
Chance cubes are at the toy shop, I believe, which has no special line.

All of this will likely be totally different in Orlando, since it's clear that WDW is doing its own thing with regards to Galaxy's Edge entry.

Edit: Wait does the whole lightsaber come in a box that small as in the video above? Like what about the main blade, it seems too big to fit in that box? I was going to pass on this just because I didn't want to lug a whole lightsaber around and get on a plane with it but if the whole package comes in a box that size I might get one.

Probably answered but I carried the hilt in one of my bags and carried the blade separately (both were still boxed) onto the plane when flying back home from Disneyland a few weeks ago.

Mine is Obi-Wan's Legacy Lightsaber & a 36 inch blade.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
right now you can do it all if someone in the party hits the cantina line late enough, while the rest of the party does lightsabers first thing and gets an early enough reservation.

The Falcon - in the 2nd / 3rd hour of a reservation, when only one group is in the land, is about a 15-25 minute wait. When new groups arrive, it's around 45-60.

So if you get lightsabers knocked out in the first hour, with a later cantina reservation, you can ride the Falcon multiple times. You do have to find a time to slip into Dok Ondar's, which can have a 20-30 minute wait to enter at peak moments. Plus there's the whole Droid thing.

All bets are off when the reservation system is removed tho. It sounds like there is a digital pass system.