• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
That doesn't change the fact that the price is ridiculous.

I've stayed at several disney resorts, none of them are worth the money they charge when you can stay in so many nice places nearby for far cheaper. So it's hard to see how this premium price is going to be justified really for now.

no it isn't. Why does Disney charge a premium for their resorts? Because they can, and they are full.

And again, this is offering something no other hotel or resort in the world will. Of course it's premium. Supply is low, demand will be high. Economics!

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Disneyland Paris has a boutique hotel-within-a-hotel that can run around $1400 a night. I've stayed there (stealth brag?), they are absolutely no stranger to charging out the ass for a premium hotel experience.. I would imagine this SWL hotel would be close to or above that in price.
Even at $1400/night if you're splitting a double between yourself and 3 friends you can get your cost down to ~$370/night for each person. What's troubling about the estimates for Star Wars hotel is that it's being quoted as through-the-roof on a per-person basis. There's no way to shoulder the cost among companions if you're paying for every additional person. Kinda puts a damper on even bringing kids since they won't appreciate it as much but will send your potential bill skyrocketing.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I am genuinely glad that the legacy lightsabers are cheaper than the Savi's workshop buildable ones. Most of the regular sized ones seem to be $110,and I think I heard the most expensive one is the dual saber one at $200.
I don't really feel the need to get the light up tube part, so I'm sure that helps keep the cost down a bit.

Might even be down to get two of them. I was expecting st least $200 for them so it's definitely better than I expected.

I do hope the buildable lightsabers get more components over time. From the part sheets I've seen pics of online it confirms that they're basically just 2 choices per section: two tips, two bottoms, two middles, and 4 for the larger sections (but I'm not sure if you can do two of the same large sections or how mixable those are).

Not sure how long it would take for them to add additional parts or if they even will do that (might cause people to take longer which would slow down the line).

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
I am genuinely glad that the legacy lightsabers are cheaper than the Savi's workshop buildable ones. Most of the regular sized ones seem to be $110,and I think I heard the most expensive one is the dual saber one at $200.
I don't really feel the need to get the light up tube part, so I'm sure that helps keep the cost down a bit.

Might even be down to get two of them. I was expecting st least $200 for them so it's definitely better than I expected.

I do hope the buildable lightsabers get more components over time. From the part sheets I've seen pics of online it confirms that they're basically just 2 choices per section: two tips, two bottoms, two middles, and 4 for the larger sections (but I'm not sure if you can do two of the same large sections or how mixable those are).

Not sure how long it would take for them to add additional parts or if they even will do that (might cause people to take longer which would slow down the line).

The Legacy sabers being affordable is pretty great. Ahsoka Tanos duel sabers are very tempting even though a full kit would be $300 on that one.
As cool as Darth Mauls saber is, the limit on space to display with full blade is enough to turn down.

Droid Depot is the one thing I'm going to pass on entirely.

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ok, I think I found out how the Luke saber works, but I have no visual confirmation.
Apparently the last couple of inches unscrew and then the blade goes into the black part. Then the end piece slides back down over the blade. I assume that means losing a couple inches of blade length but it beats having a thick hilt or weak blade.

No option for electronics and/or a blade?

The electronics are built-in. Blades are sold separately.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
EFrpLTL.jpg

aIyACOH.jpg

Finally got imgur to work reuploading some of these pics I've found of the Legacy Lightsaber. They just look so well made.
I only live 1.5-2 hours from Disneyland, but unless I get a hotel there the earliest I can get into Galaxy's Edge is June 24th, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to figure out which one I want most.

There's a few I don't like much, but I genuinely like moat of them. I wish they had Count Dooku's he has one of my favorites. Yoda's small one would have been cool too.

Top 3 for me right now are probably Mace Windu's, Kylo Ren's, and either Luke/Anakin's or Vaders.

Last edited:

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I can wait years to go. I don't care. I can certainly wait until both rides are working.
But I need the Luke legacy saber yesterday. I know you can get third-party ones, but the prices on those are a no-go.

Lmo2017

Oct 25, 2017
To the east of Parts Unknown...
I want to know how the blade fits into the Obi Wan and ROTJ Luke Sabers, they both look like they have smaller heads than the blade will plug in. I"m guessing some kind of top that screws off.

At $110 those are very nice.

Oozer

Oct 25, 2017
EFrpLTL.jpg

aIyACOH.jpg

Finally got imgur to work reuploading some of these pics I've found of the Legacy Lightsaber. They just look so well made.
I only live 1.5-2 hours from Disneyland, but unless I get a hotel there the earliest I can get into Galaxy's Edge is June 24th, so I'm sure I'll have plenty of time to figure out which one I want most.

There's a few I don't like much, but I genuinely like moat of them. I wish they had Count Dooku's he has one of my favorites. Yoda's small one would have been cool too.

Top 3 for me right now are probably Mace Windu's, Kylo Ren's, and either Luke/Anakin's or Vaders.

I'm guessing they're similar to the Disney Parks exclusive sabers that Disney has been selling at the parks for the last year and a half. I have the Kylo Ren version of that and it's great. The electronics and blade aren't the best, but the hilt itself is incredible. I wish they had Count Dooku's saber too.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
EFrpLTL.jpg

aIyACOH.jpg

They actually do have Count Dookus. They have a lot more. I have 2 images if I were only better at uploading I'll share.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
For those who have been already, is the lack of ambient music as big a problem as some reviews seem to indicate?

jstevenson

Developer at Insomniac Games
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Burbank CA
Even at $1400/night if you're splitting a double between yourself and 3 friends you can get your cost down to ~$370/night for each person. What's troubling about the estimates for Star Wars hotel is that it's being quoted as through-the-roof on a per-person basis. There's no way to shoulder the cost among companions if you're paying for every additional person. Kinda puts a damper on even bringing kids since they won't appreciate it as much but will send your potential bill skyrocketing.

The Star Wars hotel will be per-person for sure. Each bed will be accounted for, and given that a portion of the payment is entertainment, transport, experiences, and food per each person, it'll be on a per-person-basis. Much like a cruise, it's a full experience, not just a hotel.

I'll do you one even more - it's likely that if you try to go to the hotel ALONE, you'll pay more for just yourself than if you had 2 people in a room. The double occupancy rate per person will be less than one person staying in the room to account for the lost revenue on the second person. (ie, if it's 1000 per night based on double occupancy - ie 500 per person, a single person staying in that room will pay 750 per night, instead of 500)

When you wrap your head around that, and look at how cruise-lines and all-inclusive hotels price (per head), you will understand the model of this resort, which is unlike any other that Disney has.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
They actually do have Count Dookus. They have a lot more. I have 2 images if I were only better at uploading I'll share.
Whaaaaat? 0.0

Thats awesome! I read somewhere online (a random blog from months ago) that said they had 10 to choose from which seemed to match what recent pics showed from the display case at the Antiquities shop.

I know they have Dooku's Apprentice's lightsaber (some lady from the Cline Wars show), but I haven't seen any Dooku lightsaber pics.
2 images in Legacy sabers inside Galaxy's Edge.

Yeah, I think that is Dooku's Apprentice's lightsaber, not his.
His has the little extra part that sticks out from the tip.

Last edited:

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
I need that Luke lightsaber!

So is this the thread where we will have impressions. Someone on this forum has to be going right? It's going to be a mad house tomorrow.

I'll wait for it to open here in Florida, going to buy the annual pass.

Rylen

Feb 5, 2019
I need that Luke lightsaber!

So is this the thread where we will have impressions. Someone on this forum has to be going right? It's going to be a mad house tomorrow.

I'll wait for it to open here in Florida, going to buy the annual pass.

I'm going Monday, and again 2 weeks later. I live 10 minutes away

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Lady and I are entertaining the idea of getting annual passes around Augustish and drinking our fill of star wars.

I swore to myself I wouldn't get an Annual pass again. That all might change next week after I experience GE.
Heck I'd even be willing to get the signature pass. Crazy that I would pay $57/month now it's $82/month

Character interaction has to be hands down my favorite thing at Disneyland and I didn't experience it until the last day of my pass.

@Rylan, please update us after your experience

Oct 25, 2017
I swore to myself I wouldn't get an Annual pass again. That all might change next week after I experience GE.
Heck I'd even be willing to get the signature pass. Crazy that I would pay $57/month now it's $82/month

Character interaction has to be hands down my favorite thing at Disneyland and I didn't experience it until the last day of my pass.

@Rylan, please update us after your experience

I've never had a pass, and I had already decided I'd never get one. I've never paid to enter before, I've always used cast connections to get in for free.
...then after seeing GE at one of the early previews, my girlfriend casually drops that it might be fun to get them later this year. The temptress.
And now the discussion is suddenly on the table and I feel ashamed that I am seriously considering dropping the cash on it.
And a few hundred more on merchandise I really don't need.
Send help.

Kito

Nov 6, 2017
It's cute that any of us think we're getting in for at least a year after it opens.

I live 15 minutes away from Hollywood Studios, have a Platinum Plus Pass, and my Fastpass game is hella tight (first and last time I'll ever use that phrase). Even before they start offering Fastpasses, I'll have no problem with getting to the park early or staying late to enjoy Batuu.

That said, I sure as hell wouldn't plan a trip around going to Hollywood Studios for a long while if I didn't live here.

Oct 25, 2017
I never did post my full impressions of my cantina experience so here they are:

The line was indeed really long, and they frequently capped it, so it took a few attempts before we were even able to get in line. We just kept going and doing other things in between. Once we got in the line it took a couple hours.

When we got inside we got placed directly in front of Rex, so pretty ideal (from certain areas on the other side of the bar you wouldnt be able to see him). It's actually smaller inside than I expected, which explained the line. Imagine just the bartop area of a restaurant with booths lining the nearby walls and a little standing room in between. Can't actually hold that many people.

Which means the line won't be getting any better any time soon. I wonder if they might start allowing reservations down the road to fix it. It was not easy to get in to.

But it's really cool in there. It's of course modeled after the cantina in ANH, even with the silver IG88 heads on the bar. Very well and densely decorated, with a frog-like creature breathing in a fish tank near the top.

They don't actually let you choose where you are placed. There are bar seats, standing tables, and booths. It's just luck of the draw where you end up. Probably based on a combination of your party size plus availability.

The main visual attraction is R3X. He's in his DJ booth on one side, head bobbing to the music and waving a hand in the air. And the jams aren't bad. In between songs he introduces the next track with little comments and continues on. As you'd expect, one of the tracks is a remixed version of the classic cantina song. After long enough (45 minutes? not sure) his set restarts, which they disguise as a power failure. All the lights inside start flashing, there's a big boom, and R3x's speech slows as he loses power. Then it comes back on and R3x thinks it's his first day again (like how it was always his first day on star tours), and starts over.

One touch I appreciated is that the music is just about the perfect volume to still be able to hear the people at your table with you. They actually artificially pump some bass outside to make it sound louder than it really is to passers-by. Once you get inside it's not as deafening as you expect.

We saw a breakfast and a lunchtime menu but they didnt seem that different, with the lunch menu having more options. They don't actually have a lot of food, just a couple of sweets. The place is mainly for coffees and alcohol.

I just had a Blue Bantha, basically the blue milk but instead of being icy like the ones they sell outside, it was more milkshake texture. Plus a really tasty cookie on top. My lady got a Fuzzy Tauntaun, which has weird foam on top that literally made our tongues tingle. Like when your foot falls asleep or something, it was wild. I noticed on another table someone had what I think was a Bespin Fizz, which had smoke wisping off as if it had dry ice in it or something. So the main attraction here is clearly the alien drinks. The snacks weren't that good, skip them.

They have a couple drinks on the menu that come in souvenir mugs and they are pricey as hell. One of them is $47 for the single drink with what I think was a Porg themed mug. Iirc I think there was also a wookie mug and maybe something else.

The staff kept referencing it as Oga's bar, talking about how surly she was and how patrons had to watch out for her. They brought her up a lot so I expected a cast member dressed as her to be going around in-character, but we never saw her. So...shrug.

I'd say it's worth it at least once if you've got a group with you and you all try different drinks, so you get the experience of all the alien shenanigans and a few jams from R3x. Cool vibes. If you're not into drinks, at least ask the people at the door to let you take a quick peek inside. They were letting people briefly walk in and out if they didn't plan on staying.

Rex got quite a nice upgrade from his days as a glitchy Star Tours pilot.
I like the little story they gave him on the website. RX-24 crash landed on Batuu and was rebuilt by the droid shop guy into R-3X, and then given to the barkeeper to pay off drinking debts.

OT era
k5ZfjaY.jpg

ST era
dGZ1l49.jpg

(not my photo, found on twitter)

Last edited:

Elderly Parrot

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Aug 13, 2018
I live 15 minutes away from Hollywood Studios, have a Platinum Plus Pass, and my Fastpass game is hella tight (first and last time I'll ever use that phrase). Even before they start offering Fastpasses, I'll have no problem with getting to the park early or staying late to enjoy Batuu.

That said, I sure as hell wouldn't plan a trip around going to Hollywood Studios for a long while if I didn't live here.
Gold member here. ERA 5 am camp out??

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
it doesnt look like the DJ R3X funko pop will be available opening day or anytime soon. I have a friend that works in disneyland, they were able to check inventory in the system and it shows none anywhere. Will be pretty bummed, wanted a ton of the R3X merch. Going on saturday

37627_SWGalaxysEdge_DJR3X_POP_GLAM_1_large_funko.jpg

TAJ

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not the most elegant solution but way better than the old ones that just had the thick neck on them and no other option.

It would have been easy (and cheaper!) to do it better, though. If they'd gone with what I posted then it could have been barely thicker than the blade and needed no extra parts.
The hilt mode would be slightly compromised. But if they went with two different parts to avoid that the extra part would have been smaller, so still cheaper.

Keywork

Oct 25, 2017
Even though I am a Gold Annual Passholder for WDW I am honestly holding off on going to Hollywood Studios for a good couple months. I mean I haven't been since before Toy Story Land opened, just haven't had time and we enjoy other parks a bit more, so what is a few more months? My wife's sister and her family are coming down in March and we are trying to make it a big family trip with my wife's side. Her husband is just as huge of a SW fan as I am and I am debating on holding off of seeing the land at all until then so we can all be blown away together. Though it is my birthday in September and that lightsaber experience looks amazing.

I am interested in seeing if Hollywood Studios will implement any kind of crowd control after they get an idea of the demand at DL once the reservation system goes away in June.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
Whaaaaat? 0.0

Thats awesome! I read somewhere online (a random blog from months ago) that said they had 10 to choose from which seemed to match what recent pics showed from the display case at the Antiquities shop.

I know they have Dooku's Apprentice's lightsaber (some lady from the Cline Wars show), but I haven't seen any Dooku lightsaber pics.

Yeah, I think that is Dooku's Apprentice's lightsaber, not his.
His has the little extra part that sticks out from the tip.

You're right, I was going to update that. Hmmm it would make sense that they include Dookus.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
You're right, I was going to update that. Hmmm it would make sense that they include Dookus.
Im sure they'll do new ones eventually gotta save some for the next wave.

Off the top of my head: Dooku, Yoda, Qui-gon, Dark Sidious, probably a bunch more from Cline Wars and other Star Wars shows and past and future movies.

The_Juice

Oct 27, 2017
Got a chance to go yesterday and it was really cool. All of the cast really commit to their characters. I had a drink in the cantina that made my lips numb. Fuzzy Tauntuan was the name I think. Ended up building a saber and buying a legacy one.

Oct 25, 2017
Got a chance to go yesterday and it was really cool. All of the cast really commit to their characters. I had a drink in the cantina that made my lips numb. Fuzzy Tauntuan was the name I think. Ended up building a saber and buying a legacy one.
That Fuzzy Tauntaun is really something haha
I want to go back and try another one

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
It's a shame that their universal blade system seems to necessitate making some of the saber hilts extra bulky. I'd love a set of Ahsoka's white ones, but they're massive compared to how they looked on the show.

GearDraxon

Oct 25, 2017
Congrats to everyone who got to go to the previews / this opening weekend! I'd love to hear from people who are visiting now that it's "really" open - how are the crowds and lines inside GE? I've read posts elsewhere that the reservation windows are long enough to do most everything in the land, as long as you're smart about it.

yankeeh8er

Oct 26, 2017
Dracula Georgia
My wife and I are in the process of selling our house and moving to Atlanta and we are really tempted to take a quick trip to Disney land to check this out before we move. Everything looks so amazing. I really want to go to the antiquity shop. We are just really worried about the crowds and also we have a 3 year old and a 5 year old not sure how they would do with all the waiting in lines.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Argh it looks soooo good, I was tempted to avoid when we are at WDW in August as we are there for opening but I may have to go for an early morning as we are on site

I imagine it will be horrific but at least with the 2 extra hours before it's open to the public we should be able to get into the area at least