• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
Temple, mostly for the opening. But also other set-pieces like the mine cart chase, the bridge finale and the "We are going to Die!" Gif.

Richardi

Oct 28, 2017
I love raiders, but last Crusade is my favourite.

giphy.gif
This, so much this, I went on a binge once, watching it around 10 times, on a very bored weekend, and I loved it.

WhySoDevious

Oct 31, 2017
If LucasArts hadn't done Atlantis, I wonder if we would have gotten an Atlantis movie years before Crystal Skull.

Cascadero

Nov 8, 2017
Raiders is the best one but Temple of Doom was probably my childhood favourite movie. Enjoyed Last Crusade too

Oct 28, 2017
i haven't watched last crusade in a long time, but the last time I did. I found it to lean too much into the goofy humor with the father/son relationship. I saw raiders in IMAX 7 or 8 years ago and it was amazing to see it on the big screen

Jazar

Oct 25, 2017
South Florida
Last Crusade is my favorite probably has to do with how I was at the perfect age for that movie when it came out. I used to have the soundtrack on cassette when I was a kid and man I listened to it all the time.

I can't hear Slave Crusade from Temple of Doom without thinking of the arcade game. I heard it there more than I watched the movie lol.

Oh and speaking of games the Last Crusade Lucasfilm adventure game was phenomenal. Like a classic in its own right.

Last edited:

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Last Crusade > Raiders of the Lost Ark > Temple of Doom = Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Kitsunebaby

Oct 27, 2017
Annapolis, Maryland
Temple is my jam. Amish Puri is the fucking man and one of my all-time on screen villains. The action sequences are top notch. And for all the bitching people do about her, I really don't mind Willie.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
Raiders is as perfect as can be imo (10/10). Temple is very good as well, but doesn't have a memorable bad guy and the macguffin is weak (8/10). Last Crusade is also fantastic, I can watch it endlessly (9/10).

Controversial opinion time: Crystal Skull is a lot of fun for the most part as well. Just edit out some bad moments such as the CG gophers and Mutt swinging with the monkeys and you end up with...well still the worst of the movies, but it's really not a bad film imo (7/10).

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
I'd say Raiders or Last Crusade. I've seen Temple of Doom only once I think, a few years ago. I did not like it at all. Too much racist cliches? Yelly woman cliche. Ugh.

Also I just played through Fate of Atlantis and I think that would have made a really cool movie as well..

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
I like all the first three pretty much equally. Crystal Skull isn't terrible or anything but it's not up to the level of the previous movies. Super excited for Indy 5!

Ubik

Nov 13, 2018
Canada
Best 3 movie series ever. Raiders, Temple, and Crusade are all great.

Cautiously optimistic for the 4th one coming out next year. Hopefully it's better than some of the knockoffs we have got over the years, like Sahara, National Treasure, Tomb Raider, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and Uncharted.

Frodo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna be that person that didn't watch the movies when I was young so I have zero connection with the franchise (first movie I watched was Crystal Skull when it released, and then only watched the others over a decade later) and when I finally got around to watch them as an adult I could not connect with the movies, as I couldn't get past the casual racism and misogyny in them, specially Temple of Doom. Which is a shame, because the premise is great, and those movies would be even more interesting if they offered a genuine, respectful insight on those cultures instead of portraying the cultures they explore as bad caricatures that are based on a white, often ignorant, anglocentric point of view. And yes, they can still portray the supernatural elements in it without casual racism. And yes, it is a product of its time, but I did find it hard to enjoy those movies.

If I had to pick an order though I'd probably say Raiders > Last Crusade >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Temple of Doom.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Raiders is absolutely incredible, but if I have to watch an Indy movie, I'm watching Temple of Doom.

I'll also note, I was disappointed with KotCS when I saw it at midnight, but I watched it a second time with my parents and they enjoyed it, which made me enjoy it more. It's nowhere near the worst movie ever made or anything, just a significant step down compared with the first three.

s_mirage

Oct 25, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Last Crusade is my favourite but Raiders is close behind. I rank Temple and Crystal Skull about the same. Temple has some things about it that are better than anything in Crystal Skull but also has things that are far worse.

naib

Oct 25, 2017
ATX
Temple of Doom 'cause that movie scarred me as a kid. Raiders is close second though

DJGolfClap

Avenger
Apr 28, 2018
Vancouver
I was born in 1977 so I was the perfect age for Temple of Doom. It was scary for a 7-year old but it also had a relatable character in Short Round, plus lots of amazing action. To this day it's still my favourite of the series.

B.K.

Oct 31, 2017
You lost today kid, but that doesn't mean you have to like it. I love Crusade so much. I love this scene especially.

People always complain about how Solo goes out of its way to explain everything related to Han Solo, but Crusade did it first, decades earlier. In Crusade, you find out the origin of Indy's whip, hat, chin scar, fear of snakes, and his name. Crusade is a bad movie.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
My hot take is Last Crusade is one of the most perfect movies ever made, so that one is the best.

Raiders is fine but Last Crusade does nearly everything Raiders does but better and funnier.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Raiders is top 10 films of all time. The Last Crusade is great and probably my second favourite because of the chemistry with Ford and Connery, but it's a bit too PG. I really like that darker edge of Temple and Raiders.

CaptNink

Oct 27, 2017
B.C, Canada
Raiders was the first "real", non-Disney movie I saw in theaters as a kid and it will forever be my personal GOAT. That movie impacted my childhood like nothing else--even more than Star Wars. I love it.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Last Crusade easily. Doom and Crystal Skull are bad movies. Raiders is very good.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Probably Raiders just above Crusade. There was just too much of Temple that I didn't enjoy. Plus I hate to dogpile because I know she's a favorite target of haters, but I found Caphaw's character really annoying.

I wish we had gotten Ford in more comedic adventures in his prime. Like he'd have been a good fit in Romancing the Stone and Jewel of the Nile, though Douglas was great too.

Doggg

ā–² Legend ā–²
Nov 17, 2017
I love The Last Crusade. So much fun, so many great moments, and it feels like such an epic adventure. Raiders is a close second. I think what might put it over Raiders for me is the action and the interactions between Indy and his father, the whole family stuff. I thought the trials in the Temple of the Sun was the coolest shit ever when I was a kid.

Last edited:

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
I absolutely adore Raiders, but the Last Crusade is my personal favourite.

I feel it takes the formula that Raiders created and makes it better.

Doggg

ā–² Legend ā–²
Nov 17, 2017
People always complain about how Solo goes out of its way to explain everything related to Han Solo, but Crusade did it first, decades earlier. In Crusade, you find out the origin of Indy's whip, hat, chin scar, fear of snakes, and his name. Crusade is a bad movie.
the-dark-knight-gambol.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Outer Heaven
Crusade > Raiders > Doom

Haven't watched Crystal Skull in a while, I don't recall disliking it. There were some poor choices (that swinging scene good lord) but I thought Harrison Ford held up well as Indy.

score01

Oct 27, 2017
Temple of doom closely followed by the Last Crusade.

Let's not talk about the fourth installement.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
I like crusade because I love Sean Connery but my vote is Temple of Doom. With raiders in third.

I haven't even seen crystal skull

Jiffy Smooth

Dec 12, 2018
Raiders=Crusade>>Doom

The real sign of the quality of all three movies is how breezy and fun they seem, but then you watch almost any other movie that tries to replicate it, and all the hard work the pretenders didn't do becomes obvious. (Only The Mummy and National Treasure qualify, I think.)

Oct 30, 2017
Last Crusade for me, easily. After that it's probably Temple of Doom followed by Raiders although it's a very close call.

I also unashamedly like Crystal Skull. It is bad in many, many places but it has a very enjoyable first hour or so and still hits you with moments of nostalgia every now and then.

OP
OP
LastNac

LastNac

Oct 30, 2017
Raiders=Crusade>>Doom

The real sign of the quality of all three movies is how breezy and fun they seem, but then you watch almost any other movie that tries to replicate it, and all the hard work the pretenders didn't do becomes obvious. (Only The Mummy and National Treasure qualify, I think.)
That first Mummy though...

tuffy

Oct 25, 2017
Raiders is the most "complete" of the three, still retaining a bit of an edge to it while still having a recognizable character arc. That is, the Indy that doesn't believe in "a lot of superstitious hocus pocus" earlier in the film certainly does by the end of it.

Temple of Doom has some great action sequences and has a willingness to kill off the baddies in messy ways, but there's not really much of a character arc there. For instance, Indy stating that "he understands their power now" at the end of the film would be more impactful if there was ever some point that he didn't.

Last Crusade does bring back a proper character arc, though. An Indy that believes artifacts "belong in a museum" at the beginning of the film is willing to let one go at the end, which is good. But the action sequences, while impressive in spots, tend to be more cartoony than they were previously.

So Raiders is still the best in my book.