• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
It's good training and it also gets me pumped when i get them sweating and they don't rematch. If you are playing ranked then your mindset is competitive so being able to play against better players should be seen as a positive. I know losing points sucks but you have to get used to it and not let it bother you too much. That's for fighting games as they are the only genre i play competitively.

BoxManLocke

Oct 25, 2017
France
I may have used my US account to have some fun with my SO on Apex.

Sorry OP, my incel tendencies got the better of me.

Besides in Apex SBMM kicks in quickly so it's useless after you reach like rank 10, unless you're a highly-skilled player, and I'm average af

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was pretty much normal even back in the early 2000s when I used to play PC FPS.

Didn't have anything to do with matchmaking or elo ranking at that time because of dedicated serves. People (including me) just didn't want to be annoyed or harrassed by randoms.

Btw, using incel as a go to insult for everything that angers you makes you sound just like those incels šŸ˜‰

Kain-Nosgoth

Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
i mean sure it sucks, but if they want to play with their lower rank friend, or from a completely different country server, isn't that the only way?

guess it would depend on the game

Deleted member 52442

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
jesus christ people, OP did not mean literal incel he just used it synonymously for loser, which incels also are

why are we being so obtuse like there isn't a large overlap between their traits especially considering the world of gaming as a whole

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
I barely anything multiplayer so I'm always at the bottom of every ranking but how do you know who's a smurf and why would anyone care? They experiment or train with an alt account, what's the impact to you? Ah, is it because they are too good for their ranking ?

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
I barely anything multiplayer so I'm always at the bottom of every ranking but how do you know who's a smurf and why would anyone care? They experiment or train with an alt account, what's the impact to you?

In league the smurfs i fight are playing on their mains at the peak of their ability while the rest of us can barely keep up. At the very least if you're going to smurf, experiment

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
I find the main problem with smurf is that it doesn't get recognize as a problem by the gaming companies.

Polk

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Never heard of this term before. Live and learn, like that Sonic music. This is a smurf before gaining this knowledge:

I think smurfing in gaming is connected to money laundering scheme called "smurfing" when you split big chunk of money to many little ones to avoid goverment detection. Both are named Smurfs being plentiful but small thus hard do catch.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Smurfing is essentially a power trip that consists of ruining the experience of others, so there is some correlation with the term incel here.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I bought Puyo Tetris 2, you can select between beginner / intermediate / pro when you first go online, I pick beginner and everyone there has like 200+ hours of training already, you absolutely get demolished.
I almost never play online and this was another proof of why I will continue to avoid this.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I remember deranking in old halo titles.

and people who would get max level and then sell their accounts.

I dislike the subculture of competitive gaming.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I find the main problem with smurf is that it doesn't get recognize as a problem by the gaming companies.

They do. It's one of the reasons we see more MMR, restricted modes etc.

But many of the more popular MP games are also F2P and there's not much companies will do to restrict making a new account.

There's also a little bit of confirmation bias going on sometimes. Sometimes small skill differences or coordination efforts can still have huge impact in a low ranked match and lead to stomps..

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
jesus christ people, OP did not mean literal incel he just used it synonymously for loser, which incels also are

why are we being so obtuse like there isn't a large overlap between their traits especially considering the world of gaming as a whole

This take and the OP calling people incels for no reason are both wild. Just don't put labels on people when you have no evidence. Don't just randomly call people incels unless you want the word to mean absolutely nothing anymore.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
This take and the OP calling people incels for no reason are both wild. Just don't put labels on people when you have no evidence. Don't just randomly call people incels unless you want the word to mean absolutely nothing anymore.

whats the difference between incels and basement dwelling gamers (what OP was probably meaning)

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
whats the difference between incels and basement dwelling gamers (what OP was probably meaning)

There is a lot of assuming going on about people in your posts. I'm not all that surprised though, given that Era members love to throw inflammatory judgment at other human beings because they can't act normal.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
There is a lot of assuming going on about people in your posts. I'm not all that surprised though, given that Era members love to throw inflammatory judgment at other human beings because they can't act normal.

Are you gonna answer my question or clarify the assumptions or what

if i was gonna make a thread complaining about smurfs, i wouldnt have called them incels. but im not like "oh my god how could you use the word incel to describe those people, thats so far from what they are"

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Are you gonna answer my question or clarify the assumptions or what
You're on a gaming forum up on your pedestal claiming that all people who play video games in a way that you or OP doesn't like are "basement dwellers". If you need the definition of incel, google it. You'll find all kinds of information.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
What is the obsession with some of learning a new word and driving it to the ground until it loss all meaning? You did it with "anti-consumer", with "entitled", "cringe" and now you're trying it do it to "incel".

It's unfortunately the nature of words with negative connotations; their meaning will always be stretched further and further to cover and disqualify opponents and opposing views. Godwin's law is pretty much all about this happening to "Nazi" and "Hitler", but recently I've seen it happen a lot to "review bombing" (applied to any bad reviews, even when they're entirely warranted) and recently "boomer" (applied to anyone perceived to be older and less "hip" than you).

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid

Quite a fucking lot, frankly. The latter is a negative stereotype of hardcore gamers as a whole that is generally unwarranted but mostly harmless. The former is a specific subculture associated with extreme misoginy and racism among others.

Like, I dislike smurfing as much as the next guy, and consider it only a step below ragequitting in the sore losers ladder; but it's a bit of a leap to connect that to raging bigotry.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Quite a fucking lot, frankly. The latter is a negative stereotype of hardcore gamers as a whole that is generally unwarranted but mostly harmless. The former is a specific subculture associated with extreme misoginy and racism among others.

Like, I dislike smurfing as much as the next guy, and consider it only a step below ragequitting in the sore losers ladder; but it's a bit of a leap to connect that to raging bigotry.

I dunno, I guess I just associate capital G Gamers with that same mindset

Nov 17, 2017
I think that's a pretty narrow minded view of it. Some people smurf so they can play with their lower ranked friends. Some game will limit how you play with friends if there's a discrepancy between ranks in the group.

OP
OP
hwarang

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory comparison

Yeah they're acting like I'm calling them incels. Lots of defensive posts here.

Obviously gamers as a whole aren't incels but when you're intentionally playing against lower ranked people and being toxic towards them, they share similarities with the mindset of an incel. Both are similarly toxic.

smurf account literally said in chat "bet you guys are all black." as if that had anything to do with our loss. That sounds like an incel to me.

Last edited:

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
Yeah they're acting like I'm calling them incels. Lots of defensive posts here.

Obviously gamers as a whole aren't incels but when you're intentionally playing against lower ranked people and being toxic towards them, they share similarities with the mindset of an incel. Both are similarly toxic.
Many people smurf for behavior opposite of an incel. That's why I find it funny. I've only done it for friends so we can play together.

Jroc

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
It's basically an exploit to bypass the matchmaking algorithm because they're tired of losing at their natural rank.

I can't believe people actually spend money on multiple copies of the same game. Just play a different mode lmao. I'm also starting to think a lot of Smurfs might actually be incels based on the fire being directed towards OP.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Yeah it really fucking sucks. Pretty much why I quit comp in Rocket League and why I play way less in OW. It's hard to learn from them when you are getting absolutely destroyed. It's not like the smurfs are close in rank, the gap is so large you hardly have a chance to breathe.

Nere

Dec 8, 2017
I came here ready to agree with OP, then I saw he called smurfs incels... way to sidetrack your own thread with a dumb comparison.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Uh, OK? You have over eight freaking thousand posts in a videogame board, mate. :D

Uh, OK? I'm black and play multiplayer games, I have female friends in my gaming groups. I've heard all the insults and dealt with all the attitudes, and I know there's a difference between gamers and Gamers and that the Gamers have earned their reputation

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Uh, OK? I'm black and play multiplayer games, I have female friends in my gaming groups. I've heard all the insults and dealt with all the attitudes, and I know there's a difference between gamers and Gamers and that the Gamers have earned their reputation

If you want to conflate gamer (sorry, Gamer) = smurf = basement dweller = incel = racist = misogynist = nazi in your mind, more power to you I guess, but perhaps don't be too surprised when other people actually assign different meanings to different words and are confused by your personal dictionary.

This isn't Wicked, we don't need to capitalizing a word to change its meaning. We already have a word for the particular brand of racist and misogyny associated with gaming, and that word is "incel". Even Wikipedia agrees:

Incels (/ĖˆÉŖnsɛlz/ IN-selz), a portmanteau of "involuntary celibates", are members of an online subculture who define themselves as unable to find a romantic or sexual partner despite desiring one.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP] Discussions in incel forums are often characterized by resentment, misogyny, misanthropy, self-pity and self-loathing, racism, a sense of entitlement to sex, and the endorsement of violence against sexually active people.[SUP][14][/SUP]

Hence why people in this thread object to its use to paint people doing shit they don't like in games, because it dillutes the term. Using "Gamer capital G" to mean "bigoted gamers" is internal jargon that nobody outside a minuscule circle within the already insular gaming community will understand. Not that the general public won't be lost when hearing "incel", but at the very least they can google the term and bring up the Wikipedia page.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019
You may not be an incel for smurfing but you definitely have low self esteem issues where you can't hang where you belong
Lmao how? Smurfing is definitely poor sportsmanship but I'm sure most people only do it for easy kills and experimentation, nothing more. The labels and accusations getting thrown their way are a little too wild rn lol.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
Lmao how? Smurfing is definitely poor sportsmanship but I'm sure most people only do it for easy kills and experimentation, nothing more. The labels and accusations getting thrown their way are a little too wild rn lol.

"Easy kills" means you don't want a fair game, you want to win. Which is very human, but stems from insecurity and hamstrings your learning, given you learn more by losing than by winning.
"Experimentation" is something you can do on your main account. If you care about your ranking so much that you find the idea of it dropping down temporarily due to a few losses, there's no other word to describe that but insecure.

That said, we're all insecure in some or other way, and insecurity about a videogame is a rather harmless thing in the grand scheme of things. "Insecure" is not the insult a lot of people seem to think it is; it's only when that insecurity becomes obsessive and crippling that it becomes a problem.

Deleted member 52442

Banned
Jan 24, 2019
If you want to conflate gamer (sorry, Gamer) = smurf = basement dweller = incel = racist = misogynist = nazi in your mind, more power to you I guess, but perhaps don't be too surprised when other people actually assign different meanings to different words and are confused by your personal dictionary.

This isn't Wicked, we don't need to capitalizing a word to change its meaning. We already have a word for the particular brand of racist and misogyny associated with gaming, and that word is "incel". Even Wikipedia agrees:

Incels (/ĖˆÉŖnsɛlz/ IN-selz), a portmanteau of "involuntary celibates", are members of an online subculture who define themselves as unable to find a romantic or sexual partner despite desiring one.[SUP][1][/SUP][SUP][2][/SUP][SUP][3][/SUP] Discussions in incel forums are often characterized by resentment, misogyny, misanthropy, self-pity and self-loathing, racism, a sense of entitlement to sex, and the endorsement of violence against sexually active people.[SUP][14][/SUP]

Hence why people in this thread object to its use to paint people doing shit they don't like in games, because it dillutes the term. Using "Gamer capital G" to mean "bigoted gamers" is internal jargon that nobody outside a minuscule circle within the already insular gaming community will understand. Not that the general public won't be lost when hearing "incel", but at the very least they can google the term and bring up the Wikipedia page.

Then like I said, it's just how I associate it, because literally all those things apply to capital G Gamers for me

nerdv2

Apr 23, 2019
When you have friends that have a lower ranking in matchmaking, you'll see the reason why I have so many secondary accounts.
Especially in games that automatically rank you with how many wins you get in public matches.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Why don't you learn from the guy that is clearly better than you if you can't help having smurfs every game?
Because you learn nothing from a game go into expecting to have a chance to win and just getting destroyed by someone many ranks above you.

It would be like you playing on a high school football team, making it to the playoffs, and then suddenly you go against team where 20% of it is NFL players. You don't learn anything from that, it's just frustration.

You can play against people you know are better than you and learn something, but if you are knowingly doing that, you don't have any expectation to win and likely won't be frustrated by that.

JumbiePrime

Feb 16, 2019
Bklyn
For perspective in fighting games:

-Lower level players play significantly differently and its good practice to play through that every once in awhile

Ain't this the fucking truth šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

When you're so use to higher level play like conditioning, perfect meaty timing , OSs there's nothing quite like losing to Cross up+throw because you just keep thinking oh he won't do that again ! And he does . Over and over and over ..lol