• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
God it's really disappointing what an absolute shitstain Billy Corgan is. Retrospectively it makes total sense why the band couldn't stay together without fighting.

Those first 3 Smashing Pumpkins albums are some of my all time favorite too.
Not trying to defend Billy Corgan, but the dude's childhood was pretty rough so I assume all his weird shitstain qualities came from there.

Jakten

Oct 25, 2017
Devil World, Toronto
Smells like teen spirit was plagiarized anyway.

The producer of Nevermind was working with Smashing Pumpkins the year before Nevermind came out, the same time they were performing this heavier cover of Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla. It's not a coincidence. People joked in the past it sounded a bit like the original song, but it's literally a carbon copy of the Smashing Pumpkins cover.
Cool. Would you like to ask Billy what he thinks about Trump?

Has there ever been a punk musician or a musician in a genre that was an offshoot of punk that had good political opinions after turning 50?
Jello Biafra maybe? Also, no one will know who I'm talking about but the Japanese musician Takashi Nakagawa from the bands Newest Model and Soul Flower Union is pretty hardcore anti-fascist. Also, they are just on the cusp of 50 but the spanish band Ska-p.

Last edited:

ronpontelle

Oct 27, 2017
I love Nirvana, but it's not surprising that counter culture figures turn like this. Just because he was famous doesn't make him any different.

The producer of Nevermind was working with Smashing Pumpkins the year before Nevermind came out, the same time they were performing this heavier cover of Blue Oyster Cult's Godzilla. It's not a coincidence. People joked in the past it sounded a bit like the original song, but it's literally a carbon copy of the Smashing Pumpkins cover.

Think you might want to look up definitions of "literally" and "carbon copy"!

SLTS was supposed to be more a rip off of More Than A Feeling by Boston. Then there's the Killing Joke riff that makes up Come As You Are.

Plenty of other amazing Nirvana songs though, and ones that weren't ripped off/plagiarized - wherever intentionally or not!

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
"I mean, even wearing medical masks in public can be seen as a political statement!"
Yeah, no, that claim just reeks of idiocy. Willingly not wearing one in public is a statement, yes, I agree, but it is a statement to your level of ignorance and stupidity.

Oct 25, 2017

How have I never heard about this, I'm a huge Pumpkins fan........I still like both bands, can't really hear enough of a resemblance though but I'll listen again later

Krist's comment is surprising, pretty sure he was bashing Trump not long ago

Jam

Oct 25, 2017
I love Nirvana, but it's not surprising that counter culture figures turn like this. Just because he was famous doesn't make him any different.

Think you might want to look up definitions of "literally" and "carbon copy"!

SLTS was supposed to be more a rip off of More Than A Feeling by Boston. Then there's the Killing Joke riff that makes up Come As You Are.

Plenty of other amazing Nirvana songs though, and ones that weren't ripped off/plagiarized - wherever intentionally or not!

Butch Vig working on both makes it much more suspicious than that public dialogue.

RoaminRonin

Nov 6, 2017
Why does every fucknut that voted 3rd party think that they're some enlightened individual that's above partisan politics? You're not a free thinker just cause you voted for a lost cause, you're not a fucking rebel because you choose not to vote.

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
So...he doesn't like what Trump is going to do...but he liked that Trump said he was going to do it? What the fuck?

Artdayne

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Liner notes on two of Nirvana's albums and echo the sentiment that Kurt Cobain had said himself.

"If any of you in any way hate homosexuals, people of different color, or women, please do this one favor for us — leave us the f--- alone! Don't come to our shows and don't buy our records."

"If you're a sexist, racist, homophobe or basically an a--hole, don't buy this CD. I don't care if you like me, I hate you."

This was the early 90s so it was very progressive and daring to hold that opinion at that time.

amanset

Oct 28, 2017

That is really pushing it. The riff is VERY different, it doesn't have the less heavy bits and the melody is completely different.

And I'm someone with a large music collection that has never bought a Nirvana record. It isn't like my favourite band has been insulted. Hell, I've got a couple of Smashing Pumpkins albums kicking around so if anything I am more a fan of them.

Akahige

Oct 27, 2017
Well that is something I didn't expect. Interesting times when the guy from Knocked Up is more intelligent than the guy from Nirvana.

sappyday

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
That is really pushing it. The riff is VERY different, it doesn't have the less heavy bits and the melody is completely different.

And I'm someone with a large music collection that has never bought a Nirvana record. It isn't like my favourite band has been insulted. Hell, I've got a couple of Smashing Pumpkins albums kicking around so if anything I am more a fan of them.
That poster said it was a carbon copy tho!

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
So he really did only have a phase and grew out to be the average american white male, huh?
Asshole.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The Foo Fighters twitter (which I imagine must be directed by Grohl) has made some pro-BLM posts over the past 24 hours. It's kinda bare minimum stuff but it's something.

Yeah, that is legit more than I would have expected. More than Metallica at least, who simply put a generic "We all need to love each other!" message at the start of their Monday night concert stream last night.

Mania

Jan 27, 2018
I can only imagine how much Kurt would hate him and Dave "Trump supporters are welcome at our concerts, we play to everyone" Grohl the HIV denier if he were still alive.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Liner notes on two of Nirvana's albums and echo the sentiment that Kurt Cobain had said himself.

"If any of you in any way hate homosexuals, people of different color, or women, please do this one favor for us — leave us the f--- alone! Don't come to our shows and don't buy our records."

"If you're a sexist, racist, homophobe or basically an a--hole, don't buy this CD. I don't care if you like me, I hate you."

This was the early 90s so it was very progressive and daring to hold that opinion at that time.
Just came in to post this.

Fuck Krist Novoselic. Makes me rethink all of the times Courtney Love talked shit about him, maybe she knew something everyone else didn't.

Also, fun fact: riot grrl icon Kathleen Hanna spray painted "Kurt Smells Like Teen Spirit" on his bedroom walls and that's how he got the title.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Shut up, Krist.

FairMasculineKoodoo-small.gif

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
I would be surprised if Grohl says a word. I love the dudes music, but he has said before that his role as a musician isn't to be political. Which always seems like a cop out "I want EVERYONE'S money!" of an answer.
From their Facebook page, it was one of the first to post about it too, as far as I saw.
az3AsNA.png