• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, as it stands, Labo VR, and to some extent, Labo itself is totally gimmicky and needs more compelling experiences. At this point, I regret the purchase. The extra 10 minutes in Odyssey to put a band together did not seem like a worthy addition to me. Neat for the first time, but overall a vapid experience. I don't want to see more of that. Nintendo can do better.
But the 1st edition Switch can't support VR to the extent it needs to. I think Nintendo encouraging their studios to offer VR modes in their games is fine for now. What I would really be interested in seeing is if 3rd party games with VR editions also are encouraged to make VR games. I seriously didn't give LA Noire much thought until I saw a rumor where the Brazilian distributor mistakenly used the VR edition as the box cover for the Switch version. Even with the known jank I still think there is a lot of value in playing old 3rd party games that got VR modes.

Skyrim VR on the go would be godlike.

kittens

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the confusion. This sounds like a cool thing to try out if nothing else.

GenG

Oct 26, 2017
I'm unironically looking forward to the amiibo thing. Trained amiibos can be very hype to watch.

Gobias-Ind

Nov 22, 2017
Heres some old clips of Smash in VR on PC using Dolphin. It just adds head tracking to the stage camera.

CH75UVv.gif

Akr8C3I.gif

No idea how its gonna work with Labo VR but ho boy do some of these VR comments on this forum neeeeever get old lol

Hell yeah! It'll be super cool of Nintendo puts literally any effort at all into enhancing the experience.

Although, I stick to my stance that this level of coolness is almost wasted on Labo and my hope that Nintendo has something more advanced in the works.

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that heavily supports VR and Nintendo in general I'm very disappointed in Nintendo with this VR and for a lot of people is there very first experience with VR is very worrying to me as a VR enthusiast.

grimrepo

Jan 9, 2018
Labo VR is just a piece of fun, why are people so threatened by it? VR has been trying for the last 20-30 years labo ain't going to derail it :)

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
As someone that heavily supports VR and Nintendo in general I'm very disappointed in Nintendo with this VR and for a lot of people is there very first experience with VR is very worrying to me as a VR enthusiast.

Not at all.

I've had hours of fun with the Labo VR kit.

It's my first VR experience and I've enjoyed the building/construction of the different kits, all the mini-games and games included and Mario Odyssey's VR bonus game. Haven't played Zelda in VR yet.

I highly recommend it.

Didn't you enjoy it? What was your favourite kit?

Oct 25, 2017
Not at all.

I've had hours of fun with the Labo VR kit.

It's my first VR experience and I've enjoyed the building/construction of the different kits, all the mini-games and games included and Mario Odyssey's VR bonus game. Haven't played Zelda in VR yet.

I highly recommend it.

Didn't you enjoy it? What was your favourite kit?
I gotta be honest, I didn't enjoy it at all.

Maligna

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Why is everyone assuming this is first person?

Surely it's just the match playing out on a stage in front of you like a diorama.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017

What a poor trolling. If you are a real VR enthusiast you should be happy someone will try VR through this, cause VR as a premium experience don't interest the masses right now, it's an extremely niche market with an uncertain future, it desperately needs more entry level options.

Also I tried PS VR games (like that gimmicky vr mode in GT Sports, jobs simulator which is fun but really that Labo level of simplicity, a terrible Star Trek VR game,...) that are not different from Labo VR games, so what Nintendo is offering is comparable to other VR games: the blaster game is actually not bad at all.

Last edited:

Unknownlight

One Winged Slayer
Nov 2, 2017
If you pause a match in Smash, go into camera control, and click the left stick (?) (I can't quite remember if that's right), you enter a weird mode where you move the Switch around to view the stage from different angles. You can do this in replays too.

This has existed since launch, and I've always kind of wondered what it was doing there. I'm glad to finally know.

MegaRockEXE

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Well, as 1 other person mentioned, hopefully this gets us faster loading times throughout the game like it did with Breath of the Wild. I was hoping they'd add that in the next patch. But I wasn't expecting for VR to come with it too.

Oct 25, 2017
What a poor trolling. If you are a real VR enthusiast you should be happy someone will try VR through this, cause VR as a premium experience don't interest the masses right now, it's an extremely niche market with an uncertain future, it desperately needs more entry level options.

Also I tried PS VR games (like that gimmicky vr mode in GT Sports, jobs simulator which is fun but really that Labo level of simplicity, a terrible Star Trek VR game,...) that are not different from Labo VR games, so what Nintendo is offering is comparable to other VR games: the blaster game is actually not bad at all.
PSVR is great but tbh the Nintendo Labo VR was uncomfortable to hold and made me a bit dizzy/ headache. PSVR honestly has not done that to me.

And about the trolling comment, you need to grow up and stop using terms like that with people you disagree with.

AndreGX

GameXplain
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
San Francisco
I'm excited. I love what VR added to BotW's, elevating the entire experience. And while I doubt that'll be the same case for Smash, I'm intrigued to see what it does add

Last edited:

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I have a Vive, PSVR, Quest and Labo VR, and after trying BotW, I don't care one bit about the latter.

Hopefully when people do start finding Labo VR's effect wearing off, they get a hunger to try something higher end, as opposed to writing off VR.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I really need to play around with my Labo kit some more. I built the goggles, dinked around in the menus a bit and put it in the closest. I still have all those other bits and bobs to put together.

The handful of specks trapped under my screen protector is a real bummer, but there ain't really a lot I can do about that.

Majik13

Oct 27, 2017
wait am I reading this right, I can play Zelda BoTW with my PSVR, and possibly Smash VR as well?

edit: ah shit, but with no headtracking?

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
I don't know which is more nauseating to read between labo and gamefreak related threads on this forum

You're not a VR enthusiast, you're a snob

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
... Wha? Huh. Not the sort of update I was expecting.
So I guess this is part of the 3.10 something update that the ingame notification mentioned?
Better convert those replays before it's gone

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
Now that I'm thinking on it some more I'm now expecting a few more "BTW this will have a VR mode" in many E3 treehouse demos or in announcements for separate games before the demo starts.

Deleted member 1238

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm honestly most excited for amiibo fighter support in battle arenas. My pal Kurt B is about to take over smash. Bow before him.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Now that I'm thinking on it some more I'm now expecting a few more "BTW this will have a VR mode" in many E3 treehouse demos or in announcements for separate games before the demo starts.
You know, I would not be entirely surprised if Fire Emblem gets it. Explore the shool/monestary in VR! And that over the shoulder camera that you can use in the battles also has some potential...

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
PSVR is great but tbh the Nintendo Labo VR was uncomfortable to hold and made me a bit dizzy/ headache. PSVR honestly has not done that to me.

And about the trolling comment, you need to grow up and stop using terms like that with people you disagree with.

Fair enough but your comment was that kind of nonsense elitism that doesn't even work with your desire for VR to become more popular. Most importantly unlike you, i'm not wishing products to fail or being afraid a product can harm sales of a better one.

I mentioned specific PSVR games that are almost labo level of simplicity/low resolution, as for the uncomfortable you can attach an headstrap, and keep in mind you're comparing a $30 VR experience with a $200-300 device which is unfair.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It's not meant to be taken seriously as a VR product. It's just a fun toy. There have been lots of kid's toys like that over the years.

cakefoo

Nov 2, 2017
I don't know which is more nauseating to read between labo and gamefreak related threads on this forum

You're not a VR enthusiast, you're a snob
Within the identity of enthusiast, people can have varying degrees of critical thinking- some can be accepting, find enjoyment in even the little things. Others are harder to please, demanding innovation and the maximizing of potential.

It reminds me of 3DTV- I used to go to an enthusiast 3D message board, and a lot of those people were really into auto 3D conversion modes on their 3DTV's, swore off 2D, etc, were into the most obscure 3D content, they just wanted anything and everything to be 3D. That's not me. I was only there to support Scorsese, Cameron, Cuaron, Ang Lee, etc, the creators who impressed me.

Braaier

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Because those aren't being pushed by huge companies anymore, there's nothing to complain about.

The people who are doing it are VR enthusiasts who think Labo VR will "poison the well" for new people interested in VR, since the experience of using it is so much worse than the $200 Oculus Go or even the $100 Samsung Gear VR / Google Daydream. This thread has already had talk of Labo VR making them sick in Zelda, something much less likely to happen in a game designed for VR in a low-latency headset.
Anymore. But they were. I didn't see people raising a fuss about it then. If you aren't interested in Labo, fine. Don't buy it. No need to go online and whine that it exists.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Within the identity of enthusiast, people can have varying degrees of critical thinking- some can be accepting, find enjoyment in even the little things. Others are harder to please, demanding innovation and the maximizing of potential.

You just only made her point.

Barrel Cannon

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Labo is getting some weird ass pushes. I was expecting more new Labo kits and some VR implementations tbh, Regardless I guess there's a bunch of people who will dig this

NiallGGlynn

Apr 16, 2019
If the VR Labo had an actual strap I would definitely pick one up to experiment but the one they sell is so weird, my tiny T-Rex arms can't hold it to my face that long

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I fee like we need a mod post in all Nintendo vr topics now reinsuring people Nintendo won't kill vr.

Oct 27, 2017
I really need to play around with my Labo kit some more. I built the goggles, dinked around in the menus a bit and put it in the closest. I still have all those other bits and bobs to put together.

The handful of specks trapped under my screen protector is a real bummer, but there ain't really a lot I can do about that.
The specks and spots are the worst, you have to constantly keep the screen clean otherwise you see the dust mites as marks on your field of view.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
"FPs can now join Battle Arenas. Show everyone the power of a trained amiibo!"

Forget the VR stuff, is this saying we can play with CPUs in online arenas now?