• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Given the current BLM movement & this tweet, I thought now would be a good time to revisit this topic (especially with the ARMS character on the horizon).

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Twintelle has always made the most sense to me, as the easiest to implement. Since she's got normal human arms, she can pick up and use items like any other character. If it's any other character, how will items works? If it's Ribbon Girl and she grabs a laser sword, then she uses whatever attacks she has that send her arms shooting out way far away from her body, the sword just goes along for the ride? It just makes more sense to my brain that it would be Twintelle to avoid that gameplay issue altogether. Add in her incredible popularity and the fact that her inclusion would be bringing in more desperately needed diversity, and she's my #1 pick to take the spot for sure.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
The problem with Twintelle is that she's only really popular in the west.

If we're going to ignore Spring Man and add in a character based purely on popularity, then Min Min is the only one that makes sense, because she's the all around fan favorite of ARMS worldwide.

Fintendo

Jun 5, 2019
In terms of black video game characters, my favourite recently have been Gibraltar from Apex Legends and Raze from Valorant but the chances they will appear in Smash are 0%.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Elma for Smash.

Definitely in favor of Urbosa as well.

As for Twintelle and Min-Min I still think they'll get in as alt costumes.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Twintelle has always made the most sense to me, as the easiest to implement. Since she's got normal human arms, she can pick up and use items like any other character. If it's any other character, how will items works? If it's Ribbon Girl and she grabs a laser sword, then she uses whatever attacks she has that send her arms shooting out way far away from her body, the sword just goes along for the ride? It just makes more sense to my brain that it would be Twintelle to avoid that gameplay issue altogether. Add in her incredible popularity and the fact that her inclusion would be bringing in more desperately needed diversity, and she's my #1 pick to take the spot for sure.
ARMS characters can have their arms retracted. People overthink this aspect of them.

800px-Version3-2-0Artwork.jpg

If we want to talk logistics issues then Twintelle isn't immune either. Her time stopping gimmick kind of only really makes sense in the context of the game she's from, though like most other things people overthink it's not like they can't get around it.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
ARMS characters can have their arms retracted. People overthink this aspect of them.

800px-Version3-2-0Artwork.jpg

If we want to talk logistics issues then Twintelle isn't immune either. Her time stopping gimmick kind of only really makes sense in the context of the game she's from, though like most other things people overthink it's not like they can't get around it.

Isn't the time stop pretty much exactly like Bayonetta's witch time?

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
If the ARMs rep is Twintelle it'll be incredible considering the current moment we're in.

I'm still on team 'not just Spring Man' due to the way they announced it.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the time stop pretty much exactly like Bayonetta's witch time?
Bayonetta's Witch Time (in both Smash and her game) is activated as a counter that slows down the opponents. Twintelle's time stop suspends her mid-air and creates a field that specifically only affects projectiles. The closest any move compares to is Rosalina's Gravitational Pull, and even then that's quite different. It'd most likely have a redesigned function, for a game like Smash it'd be pretty crazy to have the reach she has while also having anti-camping tools.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
May be controversial, but I do think the argument that Twintelle doesn't have conventional "arms" is in part why she won't be in.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
May be controversial, but I do think the argument that Twintelle doesn't have conventional "arms" is in part why she won't be in.
Plus she couldn't be used as a template for other fighters if they decided to mix it up and make it a special take on the koopa long alts but with the unique powers since they're mostly minor

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Plus she couldn't be used as a template for other fighters if they decided to mix it up and make it a special take on the koopa long alts but with the unique powers since they're mostly minor
That's probably not gonna happen anyway due to the amount of work necessary to not make them feel like just Spring Man with a different look. We're dealing with a significantly smaller dev team here. At most, maybe it'll be Spring Man & Ribbon Girl as a package deal. But in all likelihood, it'll probably just be 1 lone character.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Gimme Twintelle, gimme Elma, then gimme Marina, and also take advantage of Pokémon trainers again after ignoring them for a decade in favor of just the creatures and gimme Nessa. They're certainly not lacking options!

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I think the ARMS show-down is basically between Twintelle and Min Min, and I hope it's the former who gets in (or both, in a surprise twist)

Elma also feels a little more likely than ever because the timing would work out for a XBX port (she'd be in a similar boat as Hero). Then add Riju as a BotW2 rep, complete with a summonable ghost Urbosa, because why not.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Serious question, please forgive me if it's offensive in any way:

I often see people say Ganondorf doesn't count for various reasons, yet then lots of people ask for Urbosa/Riju, who are supposed to be the same race as Ganondorf. Is it purely down to the particular visual design they chose for Ganondorf for Smash?

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Smash's representation problem is due to the series insisting upon always picking the main character of any series. And since the far majority of video games star a white or asian male, so does the roster of Smash. I've given up hope that they'll deviate from this strategy. Byleth is (canonically even!) a blank slate and player avatar yet still got chosen over the House lords who were the real "main characters".

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Serious question, please forgive me if it's offensive in any way:

I often see people say Ganondorf doesn't count for various reasons, yet then lots of people ask for Urbosa/Riju, who are supposed to be the same race as Ganondorf. Is it purely down to the particular visual design they chose for Ganondorf for Smash?
If you subscribe to the notion of wanting Urbosa in order to represent more people of color then I reckon people's actual problem with Ganondorf specifically is more that he's a villain.

Smash's representation problem is due to the series insisting upon always picking the main character of any series. And since the far majority of video games star a white or asian male, so does the roster of Smash. I've given up hope that they'll deviate from this strategy. Byleth is (canonically even!) a blank slate and player avatar yet still got chosen over the House lords who were the real "main characters".
I wouldn't be surprised if Byleth was opted for on the basis that having to play favorites with one of the house lords would be bound to make fans of any of the other house lords feel short changed, so they went with the milquetoast option and utilize their weapons to fight in spirit.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I wouldn't be surprised if Byleth was opted for on the basis that having to play favorites with one of the house lords would be bound to make fans of any of the other house lords feel short changed, so they went with the milquetoast option and utilize their weapons to fight in spirit.
I believe that was the reasoning he gave, which is kinda funny considering that he plays favorites regarding the Pokémon starters all the time.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Twintelle, Elma and Impa would be nice to have playable. I wish season 2 was those three, plus Urshifu, Ryu Hayabusa and one more.

Jan 16, 2018
Hope's Peak Academy
I believe that was the reasoning he gave, which is kinda funny considering that he plays favorites regarding the Pokémon starters all the time.
I mean, they're interchangeable going from the "anime swordsman" outlook, and even then if he picked favorites it'll be Edge-lguard first off.

Also, is there any possible candidates that are not "anime black/tan" but have some POC facial features?

Sadsic

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
probably brought up already but does Ganondorf count as a brown character? If Urbosa is brown, Ganondorf would be too since they are the same race

VPplaya

Nov 20, 2018
Definitely in the minority, but I would still prefer Rex and Pyra/Mythra (in a similar vein to Rosalina and Luma) over Elma. As for the Arms character, I had initially thought Springman but after reading all this I think it will be Min-Min. Really not sure why anyone thinks Urbosa would be added before Impa.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
I mean, they're interchangeable going from the "anime swordsman" outlook, and even then if he picked favorites it'll be Edge-lguard first off.

Also, is there any possible candidates that are not "anime black/tan" but have some POC facial features?
I'm honestly not sure.

probably brought up already but does Ganondorf count as a brown character? If Urbosa is brown, Ganondorf would be too since they are the same race
The Gerudo seem to be inspired by the Middle East, so yeah.

laughing at the fact that Sakurai thinks fire emblem fans are babies and will cry if he doesn't pick the boring avatar character
I don't doubt that the FE fanbase can be somewhat volatile regarding the house leaders (especially on the topic of Edelgard). But I doubt it'll spark a war in the fanbase if he chose Edelgard or Claude.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sakurai could have just made the house leaders actual alt costumes for Byleth, instead of just colors. It's not like it would change much, female Byleth is canon to be shorter than male IIRC, but I doubt Smash made that distinction between alt skins. Edelgard would look a bit weird being taller, but I feel like people wouldn't mind it.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018

Ganondorf is an unfortunate example since he's a villain, so instead of there being a 'no character is brown' issue it becomes 'there's 74 characters and the only brown one is a villain.'

Sakurai could have just made the house leaders actual alt costumes for Byleth, instead of just colors. It's not like it would change much, female Byleth is canon to be shorter than male IIRC, but I doubt Smash made that distinction between alt skins. Edelgard would look a bit weird being taller, but I feel like people wouldn't mind it.

I was hoping they'd all be echoes of one another, with height/weight and power of their unique weapon being the only differences.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I think it's only normal when they always go for the protagonists as the character choice for any game first. They have the chance to break that rule with Arms, so I'm curious of what'll happen.

Edit: I'd love to see Elma even if I know it won't happen, but I'm not sure if you could call her a good black representative, even if she is presented as a really strong and intelligent dark-skinned woman during the whole game.
If she appeared as a playable character I would be surprised if she didn't have her true form spoiled as a final smash or alt costume

Last edited:

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was hoping they'd all be echoes of one another, with height/weight and power of their unique weapon being the only differences.
Man I'm sorry but that would have been awful, people already complain that there are enough FE characters, which I as an FE fan agree, getting like one more with three or four echoes on top would have been incredibly frustrating. FE has too many echo fighters as is, if they need to put more without actually diversifying them then just make them alt skins honestly.

NeonBorealis

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Jan 10, 2018
I do wish that in the future, Nintendo starts having more diversity in their newer franchises. Twintelle is a good step in the right direction, but seeing more of it is the ideal. (Especially protagonist wise).

The main problem (that I see) with representation in smash, is that the great mayority of nintendo icons and videogame icons in smash come from an era where the games were made with little regard for representation, resulting in largely racially homogeneous casts. Thankfully, that trend is being curved nowadays (mostly by western and indie developers), and I hope that more racially diverse characters can be added in Smash now and in the future.

Rooting for Twintelle (and Min min). And I sincerely hope that Nintendo starts thinking more about this when designing their games.

Last edited:

Zeal543

Next Level Seer
May 15, 2020
I mean, who are they supposed to add? Elma is far less popular the Rex
not to mention she's not actually tan/black
and the next xeno game isn't going to be an X title for promotion. Springman is first in line for ARMS since he's the poster child of the game like every other first in their series character in smash so no twintelle. I could see ghirahim/urbosa getting in but there are more popular zelda one offs like skull kid/majora.

Kolibri

Nov 6, 2017
If it is Spring Man, they fucked up by doing a tease of any sort.
It'd be like me telling you that my next meal will be a sandwich, but that you're gonna have to wait several weeks for me to reveal the topping, only for it to end up being fucking cheese.

I believe and hope it will be Twintelle.

¡ B 0 0 P !

Banned
Apr 4, 2019
Greater Toronto Area

All of the big black/brown video game characters are either secondary characters (Doomfist/Jax/Sombra/Lucio) who would never be chosen over the iconic mascot character of their series or are unlikely to be in Smash (Clementine/CJ/Coach).

The only one I can think of that is the mascot or most iconic of their series would be Shantae. Though she would fit the "anime black/tan" trope.

So I guess to answer your question there aren't any?

Unless Sakurai is willing to break some of his rules and go for say Doomfist over Tracer for an OW crossover. Though OW is unlikely.