• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I'm super out of the loop but from back when I followed the community Leffen always seemed like an asshole but not an asshole about anything serious, did he ever do anything horrible?

Edit:

Also...

When Leffen first started rising as a player he was a toxic asshole and even got banned for a while due to his treatment of other people. That's where the evidence.zip meme comes from, that was the zip file of evidence against him that got him banned.

He's grown up a lot and is a genuinely good guy now. He's still kind of whiny about Melee/games but he's great where it matters.

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
So what did he do once he found out the Katie lady was underage? From how it reads, he recommended that she find someone else and then slowly ghosted her.
That's what Zero said, but from the Skype conversations that he admitted were real it doesn't appear that he dialed things back at all when he found out her age. It's impossible to know for sure where things went without seeing later chat logs because we don't have much after she said she was in 9th grade outside of a few more messages back and forth.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
When Leffen first started rising as a player he was a toxic asshole and even got banned for a while due to his treatment of other people. That's where the evidence.zip meme comes from, that was the zip file of evidence against him that got him banned.

He's grown up a lot and is a genuinely good guy now. He's still kind of whiny about Melee/games but he's great where it matters.

Oh I see. I think I got into the scene when he was just being an asshole, but not major asshole levels. That's great to hear that he's a good guy now! Thanks for letting me know, I appreciate it!

ItIsOkBro

Happy New Year!!
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
So what did he do once he found out the Katie lady was underage? From how it reads, he recommended that she find someone else and then slowly ghosted her.
this particular exchange happened after he knew her age

PcLS7eZ_d.webp

Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna lie, it's antagonistic posts like yours that makes me reconsider engaging with people in this forum. "Alright boss". Like what did I say to you that warrants this? Let me ask you, where do you think im going with my posts? Do you think I'm empathetic with predators? Search my post history and find me something where I disagree with the cancellation of nairo and the other pedos. You won't find it because they deserve all of the worst things to happen to them
Nice job tone policing me and not engaging with the issue where you'll beat someone with a bat if they do something in person but you're okay with someone soliciting and distributing child sec material.

I strongly doubt this is the only girl underage he's asked to see masturbate in his dumbass hentai control fantasy

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
this particular exchange happened after he knew her age

PcLS7eZ_d.webp
That seems incorrect. He told her that in September, but the screencap for her telling him that she's a freshman says "Friday" which Skype only does if it is recent, which would mean that he said that in December

EDIT: Wait, I see where she says she's 14 now. I missed that part.

Anoxida

Oct 30, 2017
Oh I see. I think I got into the scene when he was just being an asshole, but not major asshole levels. That's great to hear that he's a good guy now! Thanks for letting me know, I appreciate it!

He's a bit of a diva and can whine a lot but it's been years since he was an asshole. People either love him or love to hate him these days.. he's like a baby heel or something.

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, as a TO I have to make sure no shit goes down in my future tournaments once the COVID thing is dealt with. We need to make it so we police ourselves and be harsh on people who even think of making this mistakes. Minors should be supervised by an adult, adults should stay vigilant.

I'm talking with other TO's in my local scene and honestly it's just depressing all around. Personally I have never gotten involved with this ugly side of the community because I rarely go to the houses or really interact with the players in a more private way, since I have always been kind of a no-nonsense guy for that type of stuff. Maybe I should have kept a closer eye instead of just avoiding the issue altogether. So for me that now I want to be part of the conversation I find out there is a lot of stuff that was going on that I didn't even realize where issues, because I never really looked for it.

I think people saying stuff like "burn it all down" and "smash will never recover" are either overreacting or vitrolic. The game doesn't brew this behaviour, society and people do, and we can stop it. We need to stop it. And we need to work on it if we want it to stop it. Just expressing outrage or mentioning how disgusting it is is not enough.

We need to make the scene a safe place. We really don't need the old scene for that, but we do need to use the good side, the people that are behind the victims, the people that are speaking up, and the people to genuenly love the game to stay strong and, if they still feel like it, claim back what was once theirs. The game that means so much.

Of course it would take time, and it would take a lot of work. A lot of making sure the people who lead are the right people for the job. A conscious effort.

And, just to make it clear, this is not a post dismissing all the accusations. They all are valid and should be scrutinized. Lawyers should be contacted and organizations are issuing investigations and bans. This are serious and should be taken as such.

This post is really about what the TO's can do, should do. It really saddens me that some TO's are even the source of the issue, or complicit in them. I find myself side-eyeing the ones I know and looking for information withing my community before taking the next step. But I don't want to give up on something I truly do for the love of the game, even if I have to do it all by myself.

Sorry this is a "me, me, me" post but I felt like I could offer a unique perspective on this, I feel everyone else on this thread has done a good job of feeling for the victims and providing support, I tried to do my part by bringing this to the attention of my small community (That is not in the US, btw, but this behaviour is not US exclusive).

Brooklynwolf

Banned
Jan 5, 2020
Nice job tone policing me and not engaging with the issue where you'll beat someone with a bat if they do something in person but you're okay with someone soliciting and distributing child sec material.

I strongly doubt this is the only girl underage he's asked to see masturbate in his dumbass hentai control fantasy

The reason why I didn't engage the issue you bought up is because I felt I already summed up my feelings on the matter in a prior post and didn't want to repeat myself.

And I don't know why you're doubling down on the antagonism. I wasn't policing your tone, im just pointing out that being aggressive won't solve shit. You probably wouldn't, but please, read through my other posts and I'm respectful to everyone that replied to me, so I don't see why you'd have to be all aggro man. I get it, you're passionate about the subject and want to see justice served. I'm just not the type to cast stones at a moments notice. I decided to chime in AFTER Zero posted his side of events and yes, I felt sympathy because of his childhood. And now with more information coming soon, in retrospect, it was foolish of me to consider zeros story.

Just saying man, not here to make enemies.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The myspace version of modern day youtuber houses and esports houses like the Faze house.

That was the impression I had. Is there any place I can read about the setup? Like, was it a place where people would go to do a stream, and then bounce, or were people living there? For the minors, were the supervised or what? "Sky House" doesn't show a lot on google even combined with "smash" or "stream."

Brooklynwolf

Banned
Jan 5, 2020
Well, as a TO I have to make sure no shit goes down in my future tournaments once the COVID thing is dealt with. We need to make it so we police ourselves and be harsh on people who even think of making this mistakes. Minors should be supervised by an adult, adults should stay vigilant.

I'm talking with other TO's in my local scene and honestly it's just depressing all around. Personally I have never gotten involved with this ugly side of the community because I rarely go to the houses or really interact with the players in a more private way, since I have always been kind of a no-nonsense guy for that type of stuff. Maybe I should have kept a closer eye instead of just avoiding the issue altogether. So for me that now I want to be part of the conversation I find out there is a lot of stuff that was going on that I didn't even realize where issues, because I never really looked for it.

I think people saying stuff like "burn it all down" and "smash will never recover" are either overreacting or vitrolic. The game doesn't brew this behaviour, society and people do, and we can stop it. We need to stop it. And we need to work on it if we want it to stop it. Just expressing outrage or mentioning how disgusting it is is not enough.

We need to make the scene a safe place. We really don't need the old scene for that, but we do need to use the good side, the people that are behind the victims, the people that are speaking up, and the people to genuenly love the game to stay strong and, if they still feel like it, claim back what was once theirs. The game that means so much.

Of course it would take time, and it would take a lot of work. A lot of making sure the people who lead are the right people for the job. A conscious effort.

And, just to make it clear, this is not a post dismissing all the accusations. They all are valid and should be scrutinized. Lawyers should be contacted and organizations are issuing investigations and bans. This are serious and should be taken as such.

This post is really about what the TO's can do, should do. It really saddens me that some TO's are even the source of the issue, or complicit in them. I find myself side-eyeing the ones I know and looking for information withing my community before taking the next step. But I don't want to give up on something I truly do for the love of the game, even if I have to do it all by myself.

Sorry this is a "me, me, me" post but I felt like I could offer a unique perspective on this, I feel everyone else on this thread has done a good job of feeling for the victims and providing support, I tried to do my part by bringing this to the attention of my small community (That is not in the US, btw, but this behaviour is not US exclusive).

The responsibility shouldn't only fall on TOs. While the TO absolutely needs to ramp up some sort of security or guideline measure...for a better and safer scene, It has to be a collaborative effort. The community, the parents. The community needs to speak up when they see fucked up shit about to happen. Any shady behavior needs to be called out right then and there. And parents need to get more involved with their children's extra curricular activities...such as joining tournaments where people from all walks of life are participating. It's a dangerous world out there and parents need to step up their game and equip their children with knowledge and info so they can better protect themselves.

It's a collaborative effort. As long as you do your part to ensure the safety of children participating in events, everything else will follow. That's how I feel on the matter.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017

Its really interesting but I think one of the bigger problems in the community specially from the american side is that people on the community ideolizes a bit top players too much, and dont see that most of the audience is kid or teenagers, like I see people with 13 years olds talking with 17 and 21 like it was pretty normal and most of the TOs sells alcoholic drinks, like in my local scene(Tijuana) I go to 2 places and both of them were selling drinks with kids inside the place, I questioned myself if was neccesary to sell drinks in a public gaming place and most people told me that it was pretty normal, so I was like WHAT(I dont drink, but I dont have a problem with people drinking but in mexican culture you look like a weirdo if you dont drink) so yes there should be more rules becuase kids fill most community TOs pockets but most TOs want making their own selfish rules/dont want to follow a guide and gain money in the process.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
That was the impression I had. Is there any place I can read about the setup? Like, was it a place where people would go to do a stream, and then bounce, or were people living there? For the minors, were the supervised or what? "Sky House" doesn't show a lot on google even combined with "smash" or "stream."
It's the home owned by a Smasher named Sky Williams. He basically had a bunch of other players living with him and they threw parties with no rules.

Brooklynwolf

Banned
Jan 5, 2020

Apparently they lived there. And apparently there wasn't any adult supervision.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Ugh another one huh?

Am I terrible to feel like none of the adressed allegations from the abusers (not just Zer0) ever come off as genuine when they say they're sorry? To me they always, always come off as "oops, you caught me better say "sorry" now". I can probably count on one hand the amount of time it felt actually genuine.

Durden

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The concept of the Sky House was probably pretty simple. One of the kids had a parent with a lot of money and didn't really care what their kid did, especially if it kept them out of their hair. Bought them a house to play games and shit in unsupervised. Plenty of other like minded kids take refuge in the house. The amount of shit that can and will go down really just depends on the type of crowd.

Happens all the time. Seen my fair share growing up in certain groups, especially the art crowd.

The_Strokes

Oct 25, 2017
México

The Sky house was just a mansion where several smashers lived for ease of access to tournaments. Guys like Zero and M2K lived there.

That's all, it wasn't a thing™

Brooklynwolf

Banned
Jan 5, 2020
Its really interesting but I think one of the bigger problems in the community specially from the american side is that people on the community ideolizes a bit top players too much, and dont see that most of the audience is kid or teenagers, like I see people with 13 years olds talking with 17 and 21 like it was pretty normal and most of the TOs sells alcoholic drinks, like in my local scene(Tijuana) I go to 2 places and both of them were selling drinks with kids inside the place, I questioned myself if was neccesary to sell drinks in a public gaming place and most people told me that it was pretty normal, so I was like WHAT(I dont drink, but I dont have a problem with people drinking but in mexican culture you look like a weirdo if you dont drink) so yes there should be more rules becuase kids fill most community TOs pockets but most TOs want making their own selfish rules/dont want to follow a guide and gain money in the process.

Yes, the idolizing definitely didn't help. It gives these people a misplaced sense of entitlement, a false air of superiority. They get gassed up and think they can do anything and get away with it. I wish parents would also teach their children to stop idolizing people they see on the internet. They're just people, who happen to be good at something you do. They're not saving lives, they're not contributing anything for the betterment of our society...stop gassing them up!

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
This is insanely gross. I can't believe he tried to deflect any of it before this came out. I strongly feel these types of housing situations need adult supervision, or someone in charge with enough common sense to prevent this from happening. It's also crazy to me nobody stepped up to tell Zero he was in the wrong. What sucks is it seems some of his fan base is even defending him to the bitter end. What a terrible thing to even read about. I don't even have anything constructive to add to the conversation but my condolences for all those hurt by his actions :(

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
The concept of the Sky House was probably pretty simple. One of the kids had a parent with a lot of money and didn't really care what their kid did, especially if it kept them out of their hair. Bought them a house to play games and shit in unsupervised. Plenty of other like minded kids take refuge in the house. The amount of shit that can and will go down really just depends on the type of crowd.

Happens all the time. Seen my fair share growing up in certain groups, especially the art crowd.
Sky used to be a big LoL youtuber and bought the house with his own money. I would look at it more like a frat house situation.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
So what do we do in these situations where the person accused is from somewhere in which the age of consent is lower. Zero is from Chile where the age of consent is 14, and those Skype messages were all from when he still lived in Chile. I'm with canceling Nairo since he knew better, but this seems way more grey.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what do we do in these situations where the person accused is from somewhere in which the age of consent is lower. Zero is from Chile where the age of consent is 14, and those Skype messages were all from when he still lived in Chile. I'm with canceling Nairo since he knew better, but this seems way more grey.
Hitting on a 15 years old is a "grey" situation for you ? Who gives a fuck about age of consent, it's all about morality in the first place.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
User Banned (3 Months): Pedantry regarding sexual harassment of a minor; prior severe ban.
Hitting on a 15 years old is a "grey" situation for you ? Who gives a fuck about age of consent, it's all about morality in the first place.
Never said it was grey to me. It's cut and dry to me. I just think it's worth discussing since there is, in fact, a cultural difference that should be raised since society and culture dictate morals.

Sixfortyfive

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Atlanta
I see people with 13 years olds talking with 17 and 21 like it was pretty normal and most of the TOs sells alcoholic drinks
That sure as hell isn't common in the US.

When I was in high school, it was already considered to be pretty sketchy when a senior was dating a freshman. And this instance is outside that boundary on both ends.

StiLteD

Nov 11, 2017
London
Why is it so hard for people to not be a piece of shit?

I feel like I'm asking myself this question multiple times daily at this point.

What the actual fuck is all this?

Full credit to everyone being brave enough to come out and call this shit out. Can't imagine how hard that is. Hope they manage to find some peace on the other side of it all.

Fuck all these predator scum bags and the pieces of shit enablers that have harboured it, and/or looked the other way and said nothing. Straight garbage.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020
Zero really out here trying his best, good that Leffen isnt bothering himself with him

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Age of consent isn't as simple as 20 guy can fuck a 14 and all is good. There's a lot of stuff to be considered like position of trust or random circumstances. For putting some examples , from wiki

For example, while the age of consent is 14 in Germany and 16 in Canada, it is illegal in both countries to engage in sexual activity with a person under 18 if the activity exploits the younger person. Another example is in Mexico, where there is a crime called "estupro" defined as sexual activity with a person over the age of consent but under a certain age limit (generally 18) in which consent of the younger person was obtained through seduction and/or deceit. In Pennsylvania, the age of consent is officially 16, but if the older partner is 18 or older, he/she may still be prosecuted for corruption of minors if he/she corrupts or tends to corrupt the morals of the younger person.

People need to stop to oversimplify Age of consent, I don't say it about this thread but it's something that happens a lot everywhere.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Apparently they lived there. And apparently there wasn't any adult supervision.

there were adults living there. Don't make this sound like it's just a bunch of kids making a mistake—there were adults there who SHOULD have done better by the minors living there by actually watching out for them.

just because something might not be illegal somewhere doesn't make it not creepy and disgusting.

Bahamut

Nov 5, 2017
These kids just wanted to be a part of a community and were sexualized, exploited, and abused. It's horrible beyond words.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Really shocked at the extent of these cases in the Smash Competitive community.

I followed many of them as well. That will be changing today after reading up on these recent events. Regardless of whether or not they felt it was legal - this is still creepy.

Please don't let these allegations reflect the community on the whole though. Smash Bros is played by plenty of decent folk too.

spartan112g

Banned
May 5, 2018
Age of consent isn't as simple as 20 guy can fuck a 14 and all is good. There's a lot of stuff to be considered like position of trust or random circumstances. For putting some examples , from wiki

People need to stop to oversimplify Age of consent, I don't say it about this thread but it's something that happens a lot everywhere.
I was actually reading that Wiki and that's why I was asking. Interesting that there are a lot of parameters/safeguards around it to actually thwart predators from taking advantage. You know for sure that there would be creeps out there like the "Kidnapped in Plain Site" guy.

just because something might not be illegal somewhere doesn't make it not creepy and disgusting.
I agree that it is creepy and disgusting. It was also creepy when Elvis did it. Thinking about it, I found it creepy how rock stars haven't gotten any repercussions for it.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry TOs but the solution is simple. You have an under 18s tournament and an over 18s tournament. No other sport has adults and kids mixing, and if you want to be taken seriously then you do the same. There's just something not right with a 14 year old playing against a 40 year old in a serious match for money or fame. Imagine the things that can go on off scene. Just hold two tournaments, it isn't hard.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry TOs but the solution is simple. You have an under 18s tournament and an over 18s tournament. No other sport has adults and kids mixing, and if you want to be taken seriously then you do the same. There's just something not right with a 14 year old playing against a 40 year old in a serious match for money or fame. Imagine the things that can go on off scene. Just hold two tournaments, it isn't hard.
100% agree with this.

Also, I think you should require chaperones for minors at tournaments especially for 2 day or 3 day tournaments.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nope. Lot of stuff that i disagree with in your post. The solution is to have at least a parent with each minor. Not barring them from entering tournaments.

Oct 27, 2017
100% agree with this.

Also, I think you should require chaperones for minors at tournaments especially for 2 day or 3 day tournaments.

Absolutely, that should go without saying. How do these kids even get to these events, especially in a country as big as America? They're literally chucked in with a group of adults?

And we don't even need to think that deep. How can a kid be playing against an adult and be in the same setting for a few days? How easy would it be for an adult to manipulate and bully the kid into losing? All it would take is a small threat or a false promise.

I'm really shocked that tournament organisers would just throw kids and adults into the same pool like that.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019

Other sports absolutely have adults and kids mixing. Tennis and fencing, for example. I can't attest to tennis, but for fencing, kids don't show up to the tournament unattended - they have either a coach or parents present with them, even for small local tournaments.

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And we don't even need to think that deep. How can a kid be playing against an adult and be in the same setting for a few days? How easy would it be for an adult to manipulate and bully the kid into losing? All it would take is a small threat or a false promise.

I'm really shocked that tournament organisers would just throw kids and adults into the same pool like that.

Because the whole point of fighting games is that anyone can play them, and try to be the best ? From Justin Wong, to Wawa, to almost every Japanese players, they all started by kicking asses before 18. And if someone manipulate or bully ? Well, you ban his ass from entering tournaments. Punishing minors is not the way to go.

Oct 27, 2017
Nope. Lot of stuff that i disagree with in your post. The solution is to have at least a parent with each minor. Not barring them from entering tournaments.

It's not barring them, it's giving them a fair opportunity to compete. What's happening here now is a punishment to these kids. Everyone is a minor at some point and they need to be protected. They can be the best in their age group until they are an adult.

I don't know. Some things are more important than others and this whole thing just doesn't sit right with me.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
As a father of rwo young girls myself, this scares me. This is terrible, and I do not believe this to be limited to the Smash community. :(

I can't even count the amount of victims we've heard about this week. I hope they all get the help they need and justice for what the went through.

Deleted member 6230

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Because the whole point of fighting games is that anyone can play them, and try to be the best ? From Justin Wong, to Wawa, to almost every Japanese players, they all started by kicking asses before 18. And if someone manipulate or bully ? Well, you ban his ass from entering tournaments. Punishing minors is not the way to go.
Pokemon has separate tournament brackets based on age. This isn't really an out-there suggestion for a video game

Shudouken

Jun 19, 2019
Ugh another one huh?

Am I terrible to feel like none of the adressed allegations from the abusers (not just Zer0) ever come off as genuine when they say they're sorry? To me they always, always come off as "oops, you caught me better say "sorry" now". I can probably count on one hand the amount of time it felt actually genuine.
How would a genuine apology after sexually abusing a minor even sound like? Like, how could you possibly defend that?
The only good apology so far I've seen was from Esam, spanning multiple tweets and comments.