• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Zemst

Oct 27, 2017
Not even in the smash community and it feels overwhelming. Hope everyone gets the justice they deserve.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I mean, personally (and also because I don't know anyone involved, this is not a community or people that I follow), if I saw this video, with 0 context, I would just think she's his nanny, or a friend of his older sister/brother, something like that, I don't know. Someone of trust to keep an eye of him in this event. The last thing I would think is this awful truth.

And that's the most mortifying part of these cases: it can happen whoever, whenever and wherever you least expect it. It's really depressing to think about what that (I assume) congratulatory hug actually meant.

And what's worst, like I said I have no clue who these people were, but people around them did. Really, no one thought how fucking weird it was how close these two were? And even worse, if they did think about it, they just let it happen? When that happens, we're talking about rot in the damn core.

Just fucking awful man. All of these cases coming out, I'm super glad they're coming out, but such a big amount is just pure despair.
agreed completely.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
:/

Eb2rjOmXYAA8KCk

He looks like he's 10 years old wtf, that woman is seriously fucked up

cfer50

Oct 31, 2017
Melbourne Australia
I've not read most of this thread but if its been asked before please put in threadmarks in OP...

But can someone please explain why the Smash Bros community has a history of being completely fucked up? Like more fucked than other communities?

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
I've not read most of this thread but if its been asked before please put in threadmarks in OP...

But can someone please explain why the Smash Bros community has a history of being completely fucked up? Like more fucked than other communities?
I always thought the worst was "lol they don't shower" memes but now it looks much worse lately.

Oct 26, 2017

There's no guarantee it's more fucked than other communities. That's the worst part. Other communities could just be silent right now with tons of other predators hiding.

But for Smash, the lack of parental supervision and informal structure of a lot of these events allowed kids, teens, and other victims to be easily groomed and targeted without the threat of an authority figure stepping in.

Mar 23, 2018
I don't follow Smash or any other fighting community, still, reading about all of this happening, as in, this stuff is actually happening makes me feel sick :(

Jersey_Tom

Banned
Dec 2, 2017
I have a lot of thoughts on this, and I'm having trouble putting them together into a post, but I'll try to shotgun a few thoughts out there.

First, I think it's important to recognize that most of the adults who attend these smash events started attending tournaments when they themselves were kids. So it's not like it's a bunch of late 20's and a bunch of kids, there's a whole range of people of every age there. The older players recognize how important the smash scene can be for kids looking for a community or a safe space, so they've attempted to be welcoming to kids getting into Smash. So in that sense, yes, if a kid shows up, the adults will typically try to do what they can to make sure they feel welcome, at least in my experience. I've been to plenty of tournaments where parents show up to monitor what's happening, but tournaments can be many hours long and take place every week, so most parents evetually feel comfortable just dropping their kid off and letting them compete on their own, or with a few trusted friends.

I don't think there's any real expectations on the venue itself providing special protection for minors. Not any more than you would expect from something like a grocery store when a minor who comes walking into their store. A lot of locals are just held in local game stores or community centers where there isn't a ton of oversight over who comes in and out of the venue.

None of the sexual abuse of minors I've read about took place inside the venues (though the videos in this thread of Cinnpie are definitely uncomfortable knowing the context). The tournaments provided the kindling for abusive people to find targets, but the abuse was then taken online and to other locations separate from the tournament floor. We could introduce waivers and such, but unless we start requiring parental chaperones who can screen the people talking to their kid, there's only so much the TOs can do to prevent abuse outside of venue, besides segregating adults and minors entirely so that they can't establish those relationships in the first place.

All of that said, I'm seeing a lot of discussion from tournament organizers this week about how they can change things in the future to make it safer for kids - including potentially requiring a parent to be with a minor in the venue at all times. It's just a tricky discussion, because anything too strict will just keep a lot of minors from participating in tournaments at all.

It's shitty all around, and this is without even getting into the experience of adult women who attend tournaments. The FGC is in unlike most other esports, in that competitors have to frequently congregate together in order to participate, so there's a lot of unique challenges, and Smash in particular attracts a lot of kids on top of that. There's certainly a lot of work that still needs to be done here to prevent this type of abuse from happening again. I don't know what tournaments are going to end up looking like when everything's said and done.

The idea that the community will police itself is exactly the mindset that leads to shit like this. The expectation that random 20- and 30-somethings or older are going to take responsibility for the welfare of children who aren't theirs is one of the most ass-backwards concepts someone could try to use to defend how these tourneys are organized. Let it be known though this isn't a problem exclusive to tourneys but also to the con-scene as a whole where minors can find their ways into the rooms of older people if left unsupervised.

The "importance" of getting the youth involved in a scene is not equivalent to the clear and present danger they are placed in when within the realm of older people, especially ones they may idolize, who can easily manipulate them. Again, the idea that you're going to deputize some randos at these events who are there for their own purposes is a ridiculous expectation that sounds nice in theory but in practice isn't a realistic solution. If the "adults in the room" are also potentially the people who will be taking advantage of these kids sexually, you're setting yourself up for failure.

So the answer is "yes," there should be a requirement that a minor is accompanied by an adult chaperone at all times at the venue as dictated by the TO if you're adamant with the idea of having minors compete against adults. Personally I think there should be a strict U-18 tourney separate from the 18+ crowd. If people feel that will discourage kids from showing up at these things, oh well. I'd think if we're serious about how disappointed/shocked/appalled we are at this instance and others like it, we wouldn't be putting a price on this where we can decide how many kids getting sexually assaulted/taken advantage of is worth getting the numbers up on competitive Smash play.

Rellyrell28

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, personally (and also because I don't know anyone involved, this is not a community or people that I follow), if I saw this video, with 0 context, I would just think she's his nanny, or a friend of his older sister/brother, something like that, I don't know. Someone of trust to keep an eye of him in this event. The last thing I would think is this awful truth.

And that's the most mortifying part of these cases: it can happen whoever, whenever and wherever you least expect it. It's really depressing to think about what that (I assume) congratulatory hug actually meant.

And what's worst, like I said I have no clue who these people were, but people around them did. Really, no one thought how fucking weird it was how close these two were? And even worse, if they did think about it, they just let it happen? When that happens, we're talking about rot in the damn core.

Just fucking awful man. All of these cases coming out, I'm super glad they're coming out, but such a big amount is just pure despair.
On The Blast Zone TKBreezy mention that he looked at that situation like she was being like a big sister to and not thinking of him in that. He also mentioned how fucked up the double standard is in that if the genders were reversed in that situation that they would of intervened.

Lifendz

Oct 27, 2017
Just heartbreaking to read. So much respect for the strength and courage he has to come forward with this. I'd never heard of any of the parties involved, but my god, the optics of every facet of this is just shocking. That clip of her practically fondling him in a room full of people is just surreal. I really hope he pursues charges against her.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
That video was absolutely fucking disgusting and hard to watch. She belongs behind bars.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
That is so disgusting. Being abused as a child... I can't even imagine what that will do to you. He is very brave for speaking up, and I hope this will help him heal.

She needs to be banned for all events at the very least. A pedophile predator can't be allowed the oppurtunity to find other victims.

itsaziz

Nov 8, 2017
He's like half her height and he looks much younger than 14...this woman deserves to rot in prison.

Brainfreeze

Oct 26, 2017
New Jersey
The idea that the community will police itself is exactly the mindset that leads to shit like this. The expectation that random 20- and 30-somethings or older are going to take responsibility for the welfare of children who aren't theirs is one of the most ass-backwards concepts someone could try to use to defend how these tourneys are organized. Let it be known though this isn't a problem exclusive to tourneys but also to the con-scene as a whole where minors can find their ways into the rooms of older people if left unsupervised.

The "importance" of getting the youth involved in a scene is not equivalent to the clear and present danger they are placed in when within the realm of older people, especially ones they may idolize, who can easily manipulate them. Again, the idea that you're going to deputize some randos at these events who are there for their own purposes is a ridiculous expectation that sounds nice in theory but in practice isn't a realistic solution. If the "adults in the room" are also potentially the people who will be taking advantage of these kids sexually, you're setting yourself up for failure.

So the answer is "yes," there should be a requirement that a minor is accompanied by an adult chaperone at all times at the venue as dictated by the TO if you're adamant with the idea of having minors compete against adults. Personally I think there should be a strict U-18 tourney separate from the 18+ crowd. If people feel that will discourage kids from showing up at these things, oh well. I'd think if we're serious about how disappointed/shocked/appalled we are at this instance and others like it, we wouldn't be putting a price on this where we can decide how many kids getting sexually assaulted/taken advantage of is worth getting the numbers up on competitive Smash play.

I'm right there with you. I've been having this discussion on Twitter non-stop for past couple of days now.

The tricky part with chaperones right now is, unless we can somehow verify that the chaperone is the child's actual legal guardian, it doesn't accomplish much of anything. Cinnpie was an adult and would have happily signed up to be Puppeh's guardian. It would have just granted her another level of control over her victim.

When most minors may not even have a basic form of ID, it seems impossible to me for any tournament to be able to verify those relationships on the scale necesarry. I think the community may need to come to terms with the fact that children will have to hold their own tournaments. Minors will no longer be welcome at the typical Smash tournaments when they start reopening. It sucks, but it's the only realistic solution I see at this point.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
That is so disgusting. Being abused as a child... I can't even imagine what that will do to you. He is very brave for speaking up, and I hope this will help him heal.

She needs to be banned for all events at the very least. A pedophile predator can't be allowed the oppurtunity to find other victims.
Banned at the least? She belongs in fucking prison.

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They are uncomfortably close.

If I was a passerby I wouldn't suspect much cus I'd assume they were a sister or something, but a lot of people there must have known they weren't related and should have been a bit sus.

I mean, you really wouldn't have thought it was more than that even knowing they were related. It's just easier to see now that we know.

SilverX

Jan 21, 2018
He's like half her height and he looks much younger than 14...this woman deserves to rot in prison.

A day later I am still shocked how anyone could put their hands on that kid. A grown woman who even had a boyfriend was fixated on the kid and looking at him in sexual way, there is just no excuse.

piratethingy

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, you really wouldn't have thought it was more than that even knowing they were related. It's just easier to see now that we know.

Would you have felt that way if it was a dude in his 20's towering over a 14 year old girl who's half his size, leading her around by the arm, rubbing her shoulders after a match?

Edit: and I don't blame you at all for thinking that way, I do too. I would 100% be more suspicious in the latter case. Fucked up.

OnionPowder

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Prior to the pandemic my niece was interested in trying to get into competitve smash and I don't know now man

Fuck this is disgusting all of it

Deleted member 4461

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Would you have felt that way if it was a dude in his 20's towering over a 14 year old girl who's half his size, leading her around by the arm, rubbing her shoulders after a match?

Edit: and I don't blame you at all for thinking that way, I do too. I would 100% be more suspicious in the latter case. Fucked up.

You're right. I have biases to reexamine. But either way, there are probably very few people for whom red flags would have been raised.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Can't Nintendo do something about this community?
Nintendo has had zero involvement in the community outside of sponsoring a couple of events. Their only connection is that it's focused around a game that they make.

They do run their own online tournament series, and people from the Smash scene have participated in that. As of right now though, they'll assuredly be cutting all ties with Cinnpie, D1, Nairo, and anyone else that gets exposed.

TuneTuneGuy

Mar 11, 2020
Whelp that scene is dead. It only really picked up into main stream when nintendo got involved again and they're not gonna wanna be mentioned in the same sentence as a bunch of pedophiles.

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
Nintendo has never really supported the competitive Smash scene, right? This basically guarantees they're never ever going to support or promote them though.
Yeah Nintendo was quite smart for not embracing this scene that they had no control over. Everyone complaining that they should have has a clear example of why not to here.

You could argue that Nintendo could have put up better safeguards if they had topdown control(maybe under 18 only tournaments to keep out the creeps?), but I am skeptical.

Bob White

Oct 27, 2017
Prior to the pandemic my niece was interested in trying to get into competitve smash and I don't know now man

Fuck this is disgusting all of it

That's why this is hitting me all fucked up. My brother in law JUST bought his 10 year old son Smash for the switch...on my recommendation. He asked me about all the street fighter I play since him and his son are interested in how I'm always talking about the game. I told my brother in law a good place to start for fighting games would be smash bros since his son loves nintendo shit. If this happened to his son I'd never forgive myself.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Their unwillingness to help and police the scene is what made fertile ground for this shit to grow
Do you really feel that's their responsibility ?? The community members need to call people out and step up. I'm glad more of these stories are coming out so people know what's right and wrong.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Can't Nintendo do something about this community?

Nintendo have never had a significant grip over the Smash community, so asides from cutting ties with players who they have a professional relationship with, they can't really do much. That said, I don't expect Nintendo to publically support the community for the foresseable future, such as condoning the apperance of their games at future EVO/grassroots events.

One could argue, of course, that Nintendo not having a strict, regulated grip over high-level Smash tournaments contributed to these situations, allowing minors and adults to mix freely in social scenarios without their parents/guardians. I mean, whenever I read that these kids were with people who were drinking, I wonder if Nintendo really should've stepped in earlier... But alas, it isn't the job of Nintendo to act as a shaperone; the responsibility lies with these people, and these people alone.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
? Nintendo has zero responsibility to "help or police" the Smash community. In fact it looks like they were probably very smart to stay away from it.

I'm just saying they could probably help so their game isn't used as a hunting ground for predators, Pokémon doesn't seem to have this problem.

Idk man. I'm just devastated from all of this, this shit is hitting me hard

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's why this is hitting me all fucked up. My brother in law JUST bought his 10 year old son Smash for the switch...on my recommendation. He asked me about all the street fighter I play since him and his son are interested in how I'm always talking about the game. I told my brother in law a good place to start for fighting games would be smash bros since his son loves nintendo shit. If this happened to his son I'd never forgive myself.

just cause he brought him smash doesn't mean that he would try to go pro or that it would be your fault if something like this happened

He could just play casually like 95% of the public