• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

janoGX

Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Chile
Everyone is holier than thou, got it.
But getting teased time and again when you're 20 isn't going always to cut it. It is wrong, sure. But they had a lot of similarities in their hobby and he really seemed to have liked Nairo a lot and went to him time and time again. He sounded like he had a crush, and also for Nairo seemed to have liked him beyond sex. The heart goes where it goes and zack even hoped to call nairo his boyfriend.

Stop right fucking there.

Nairo could have easily stopped this by saying "NO" and move on and telling him that he's not old enough. This is not a "the heart goes" situation.

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not trying to justify anything. Just some responsibility from both sides. A 15 year old knows a lot what he's doing.
Lol get the fuck out of here. A 15 year old may say yes and want it at the time but that doesn't mean they could actually consent. Why do you think they're so affected by it years later? Christ

ZombAid

Banned
Jan 12, 2018
User Banned (Permanent): Victim blaming and defending statutory rape over a series of posts
You believe there's nothing wrong with a 20 year old having sex with a 15 year old? Please clarify
I didn't say, that it isn't wrong.
I'm saying all are responsible at that point where they went.

dimelo

Banned
Apr 13, 2020
MIA
I did a lot of dumb shit at twenty but I knew that fucking with a 15 year old was wrong for obvious reasons.

Even if you're the one being pursued you gotta be smart and cut off all contact. It won't be worth it in the long run.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
You aren't mature or worldly at all at 15. If a cool, influential 20 year old reciprocated my romantic/sexual interest at 15 I think it's difficult for me to imagine myself stopping. The adult takes 100% of the responsibility.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
STOP
ALLOWING
MINORS
COMPETE
IN
THOSE
TOURNAMENTS

Like, almost any serious sports have separate leagues for minors, why the fuck e-sports can't do that? How many minors has to be abused so fucking E-Sports organizers take this matter seriously?

Do an U-18 EVO in another time of the year and thats it.

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another top player in Samsora apparently knew about Nairo and Zack

It's fine to respect a victims wishes but Samsora and Nairo were very close friends and frequently collaborated which I just don't get. How could he continue being friends with someone who knew to be a paedophile? These images could be fake but from what I've heard his discord has been closed.

Dreezy

Oct 27, 2017
I'm never ever letting my kids near any of these fucking weirdo communities.
Absolutely fucking insane that children are allowed to attend tournaments alone. These event staff are criminals in my view. Fucking unbelievable. Nairo is to blame, but these events allowed this shit to happen.
Maaan... I thought this shit was harmless too. I mean you think Smash, you think Nintendo, you think it's the most innocent shit. But OF COURSE that shit attracts predators.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020

It's fine to respect a victims wishes but Samsora and Nairo were very close friends and frequently collaborated which I just don't get. How could he continue being friends with someone who knew to be a paedophile? These images could be fake but from what I've heard his discord has been closed.

It's such a tough line to tow because if you talk and make things worse for Zack, that's shit. Now hindsight would make you believe that nothing can be worse than being taken advantage of as a kid. But in that moment as a 3rd party your mind struggles to understand that. You kinda go "I don't want to make things worse for the kid. If he doesn't want to be open about it then I'll support his wishes." The victim is hurt, doesn't want to be hurt more so you prioritize that by doing as he wishes lol. It's hard for me to put it into words without it seeming like a bad take.

But it's fucked. I really struggle with the idea of taking the info and doing more because there are no guarantees something will happen if the victim doesn't want to talk. And then the victim is just getting hurt all over again. So yeah it's a tough line, Sam should've done something about it, but I can't criticize him to harshly because of everything I said above. With that said the fact that he kept collabing and calling Nairo a friend is beyond fucked up. Have a fucking moral code. Drop that friend and lookout for the victim. There is keeping something a secret for the victim's sake then there is just pretending it never really happened.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

There's so many stories out now the wires are getting crossed for me, but iirc he said he tried to tell people but they didnt believe him.

Dekim

Oct 28, 2017
At the very least entry into these events should be restricted to those 18 or older. Why that wasn't the case I don't understand.

Last edited:

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
First off, he is incredibly brave to come forward, and I feel terrible that he had to go through that in the first place.

Furthermore--at this point, just burn the whole damn Smash scene to the ground. Jesus Christ.
Was thinking the same thing, I love the game but obviously the competitive scene is sketchy as fuck and it's been proven time and time again for over a decade now.

I think once game tournaments start back up smash should be off the table completely.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
More RelaxAlax allegations have come out (not a competitor, but a figure in the Smash community who already has sexual assault, abuse, & racism under his belt).

Oct 28, 2017
It visibly let's them know it's underage but yeah a chaperone as well but I'm not knocking the wristband cause it will help visually discourage predators.

Will it? It's telling people that this kid is underaged. It doesn't stop someone wanting to take advantage of minors to do so. Also what are you gonna do if kids circumvent rules by removing the bands because it's uncomfortable or due to peer pressure?

The problem with esports from an outsider looking in is that there isn't a proper professional body regulating the scene. Of course abuse of minors is still common within community sports but at least most formal bodies have regulations who and who can't work in the industry with things like background checks and working with children requirements.

Leffen has like the only solid take right now in that there has to be a huge improvement in scene professionalism. If there are kids at the scene, you cannot act like a 20 year old frat boy and there needs to be rules regulating that shit so they are protected from scene influence. That's how these sexual abuses happen in the first place, they're all people of positions of relative power coercing their victims.

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
samsora saying he knew but didn't want to say anything because zack didn't want it out there seems seriously shitty to me. zack was a child, that wasn't really a decision he could make for himself.

samsora continued to collab with nairo too, knowing that he was a pedo?

shan780

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
UK
i agree that minors should be chaperoned at these events, if not banned altogether. what normal adult wants to get drunk and party with children?

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
It's disgusting how fast the Alax stuff was looked over last year and brushed aside.
Not only brushed aside. But he victim blamed and the girl who accused him got harassed nonstop

Alax's response was so textbook I have to believe he had legal coaching. He went completely radio silent for months, came back suddenly with a bullshit "nothing happened but I wish them well" non-apology, then flooded his channel with so many backlogged videos it buried his non-apology.

Here's hoping some of this shit actually sticks to him this time.

BishopLamont

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
People have always complained about Nintendo not being more involved with the Smash community, but with how many stories of abuse that comes out of this community it's easy to see why they keep their distance.

Although maybe it would be better if they step in at this point, if people are using their game to groom minors it's not a great look.
there is literally nothing Nintendo can do even if they were to "step in"

it's like expecting companies who build swings and slides to do something against paedophilia in parks

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
samsora saying he knew but didn't want to say anything because zack didn't want it out there seems seriously shitty to me. zack was a child, that wasn't really a decision he could make for himself.

samsora continued to collab with nairo too, knowing that he was a pedo?
Extremely this. All the "well I knew but CZ didn't want them to say anything" stuff is absolute nonsense.

Uh, no; that's how these predatory relationships work, the victim gets manipulated into thinking they shouldn't have their friends "tattle" or something. Such a view implies that people think minors are in positions to make these sort of calls; that they're mentally ready for these decisions. Wrong. Heck, in at least a few states, awareness and then not going to the police is a crime in and of itself.

The entire reason why this sort of stuff is as very illegal as it is is because minors are not able to make these sort of judgments correctly.