• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MongKey

Oct 29, 2017
I can't hear it exactly, something about chaining, and something about not worrying about a wack ass bf?
One of them says that the girl playing right now is scrumptous and how he just want to treat her "right". The other commentator agrees with him and is the one that says not worrying about being a wack ass bf to her.

Don't know which of them is DJ but both of them are vile in that clip.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Nintendo will never have voice chat in there games and the ability to talk to friends.

Rightly or wrongly its stuff like this why they won't do it.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Jesus how many are there? How is this even possible

A lot of these gamers could fit that socially awkward loner type, and that seems to have a shockingly high rate of being driven to just about anybody and anything lewd. This is the same type of generation that normalizes lewd postings on main social media accounts, for example. Coming of age with some degree of fame also involves a power dynamic I'm sure abusers aren't even aware of at the time, seeing that it's a goddamn who's who of people.

A big issue in the FGC seems to be a sort of frat boy mentality, and as expected, that mentality always, always leads to shit like this. That seems to have been the dominating theme that allowed this kind of culture to fester, as I'm sure everyone of these offenders would object to the possibility of what they've done generally despite actually being the people who have actually done it. The type that tells people they should speak up about abuse, and yet they're abusers.

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
And just to be clear Nintendo abdicating responsibility for the smash scene is part of the problem. This isn't some great move that Nintendo decide not to be involved, it's part of the reason this scene got out of hand in the first place. Ultimately it is their game at the center of this. They need to take responsibility for competitive smash, and not be shocked that their competitive game they try to sell is played competitively.

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
A lot of these gamers could fit that socially awkward loner type, and that seems to have a shockingly high rate of being driven to just about anybody and anything lewd. This is the same type of generation that normalizes lewd postings on main social media accounts, for example. Coming of age with some degree of fame also involves a power dynamic I'm sure abusers aren't even aware of at the time, seeing that it's a goddamn who's who of people.

A big issue in the FGC seems to be a sort of frat boy mentality, and as expected, that mentality always, always leads to shit like this. That seems to have been the dominating theme that allowed this kind of culture to fester, as I'm sure everyone of these offenders would object to the possibility of what they've done generally despite actually being the people who have actually done it. The type that tells people they should speak up about abuse, and yet they're abusers.

Sometimes I just think men are just horrible.

Remember when playstation had that pshome thing. Anyone dressed as a girl would suffer all kinds of nonsence from thirsty male gamers.

This story just show shows how difficult it is for a girl to get treated as equal in this industry. Whether its a fan or a competitive gamer their love for video games or ability to play games isn't enough.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes I just think men are just horrible.

Remember when playstation had that pshome thing. Anyone dressed as a girl would suffer all kinds of nonsence from thirsty male gamers.

This story just show shows how difficult it is for a girl to get treated as equal in this industry. Whether its a fan or a competitive gamer their love for video games or ability to play games isn't enough.

This too, games still have a presence, especially any fuckin' game with voice chat, about being a bro dominator culture kind of thing. Women aren't even seen as capable of liking games but instead an anomaly, either to harass in one way or another. The fact that this belief still needs to be challenged is remarkable in the worst kind of fashion. That might be related as to why I don't ever use voice chat in games unless it's become an isolated group from the games in question like Discord. That seems to be the best type of escape, but that also depends upon the groups one plays with.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019
One of them says that the girl playing right now is scrumptous and how he just want to treat her "right". The other commentator agrees with him and is the one that says not worrying about being a wack ass bf to her.

Don't know which of them is DJ but both of them are vile in that clip.

DJ is the one that uses the terms, "super scrumps" and "wack-ass boyfriend." But yeah, it's also the disgusting tone, not to mention the total derailing of the commentary just because one of the players is a girl

Puroresu_kid

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
DJ is the one that uses the terms, "super scrumps" and "wack-ass boyfriend." But yeah, it's also just the disgusting tone, not to mention the total derailing of the commentary just because one of the players is a girl

This is how I imagine these things go down. A player impresses, they find out its a girl and from then it's a mission on finding out what the girl looks like and how to befriend them.

It's a joke.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This shit is an epidemic in the community, and the only way forward is to burn it down and rebuild.

When they start doing tournaments again, they better have tons of safeguards to make sure this many predators can't come and go unchecked.

This is all fucking sick.

Big-E

Oct 25, 2017
We laughed at Nintendo for the archaic messaging and chat features in their games for decades now. Seems like they were right to be this overly protective. While there is no scientific proof here, there definitely seems to be some evidence that predators are gravitating towards this game as it does seem to skew younger. Nintendo should take over any sort of tournaments fully.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We laughed at Nintendo for the archaic messaging and chat features in their games for decades now. Seems like they were right to be this overly protective. While there is no scientific proof here, there definitely seems to be some evidence that predators are gravitating towards this game as it does seem to skew younger. Nintendo should take over any sort of tournaments fully.

I'm not so sure. Other games you can just make a friends list and have whoever on it, and people kind of come and go. For Nintendo, you need to build up more solid connections in order to put someone on a friend list. So if you want to play with someone instead of just finding them in game and building your own personal community, you're looking to youtubers and people on twitter and viewing that as your community.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't heard of Fortnite having this kind of problem and that's the most popular game among children rn.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
And just to be clear Nintendo abdicating responsibility for the smash scene is part of the problem. This isn't some great move that Nintendo decide not to be involved, it's part of the reason this scene got out of hand in the first place. Ultimately it is their game at the center of this. They need to take responsibility for competitive smash, and not be shocked that their competitive game they try to sell is played competitively.
I do think that Nintendo will step in at this point, but it'll be done by sending cease and desist letters to any future major tournament.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
Just like EVO itself, Smash in the FGC is done. The Smash brand itself is dangerously getting close to being associated to all this shit.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, they already do have voice chat.

It's just that you have to use a fucking mobile phone to use it lmfao
It's cumbersome, but at the same time, I can sort of see logic there. Like if you're responsible enough to have a smartphone, you can use voice chat. An unsupervised twelve-year-old that still has to ask to borrow their mom's phone? Not going to be on voice chat.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Nintendo will never have voice chat in there games and the ability to talk to friends.

Rightly or wrongly its stuff like this why they won't do it.
Honestly, all this is lowkey justifying a lot of Nintendo's policies re:voice chat and online communication. Or, at the very least, making it easier to understand their position on things. They're a company makes games primarily for kids/families and places a high value on the protection of young people. Now they have, through no fault of their own, a situation where one of their biggest games that has literally ALL of their brands on the cover (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, etc) being associated with child predators.

Right or wrong, I fully expect them to dig in their heels further and probably be more restrictive at least with the Smash community.

Deleted member 60295

Banned
Sep 28, 2019
It already has been this year, wrestling had a big speak out about abusers and rapists just a few weeks ago.

And not just wrestling. Comic book writers, Video game developers, a second round of Hollywood actors..... nobody is safe this time around, regardless of what industry or community they're in. And rightfully so. Every last one of these pieces of shit need to be outed. Leave no stone unturned.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Not just wrestling. Comic books, Video game developers, a second round of Hollywood..... nobody is safe this time around, regardless of what industry or community they're in. And rightfully so. Every last one of these pieces of shit need to be outed. Leave no stone unturned.
Yeah no doubt, the victims coming forward are incredibly brave

Oct 25, 2017
And not just wrestling. Comic book writers, Video game developers, a second round of Hollywood actors..... nobody is safe this time around, regardless of what industry or community they're in. And rightfully so. Every last one of these pieces of shit need to be outed. Leave no stone unturned.

so what you're saying is, it's humans that are the problem and not just people who like games

Deleted member 12186

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't bother making a statement you fucking pedo

day by day by day i keep seeing the same shit over and over here, twitter, whereever. 2020 is wild but I think it's for the best.

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, all this is lowkey justifying a lot of Nintendo's policies re:voice chat and online communication. Or, at the very least, making it easier to understand their position on things. They're a company makes games primarily for kids/families and places a high value on the protection of young people. Now they have, through no fault of their own, a situation where one of their biggest games that has literally ALL of their brands on the cover (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, etc) being associated with child predators.

Right or wrong, I fully expect them to dig in their heels further and probably be more restrictive at least with the Smash community.

Remember that Swapnote feature from Nintendo. Predators were using it to try and talk to young kids. I think after an article was posted Niintendo just straight up pulled the app. They wanted to get away from that drama as quick as possible.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
This is sick. How many does this make now? Are law enforcement aware and involved in this yet (hopefully)?

Anyone involved needs to be prosecuted to the full extent the law allows (and I mean anyone)! Wouldn't be surprised if this crosses over to the YouTube/Twitch communities or other Fighting Game communities, and I hope those involved all get justice.

Oct 27, 2017
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not really sure law enforcement is going to get involved. It would be on the victims to actually pursue it right? Has any of them talked about doing that?

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
Too many people here are trying to fit all that fucked up shit into this one community, so that they can pretend nothing's wrong where they hang out (the extent varies of course). Don't be delusional. And don't be disrespectful to the community that is trying their best right now to fix everything wrong about it by wishing them the death of the community that is a huge part of their life and that includes some of the victims as well. It is beyond me that some people here are just mindlessly generalizing with no care about any innocent person at all wishing them that they lose the place they belong to.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not really sure law enforcement is going to get involved. It would be on the victims to actually pursue it right? Has any of them talked about doing that?

I obviously don't know how this works but if there is abuse of underage kids at the level it appears, I would hope that law enforcement would at least reach out to see if any of the victims is willing to press charges or file a statement so we don't have more victims in the future.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Too many people here are trying to fit all that fucked up shit into this one community, so that they can pretend nothing's wrong where they hang out (the extent varies of course). Don't be delusional. And don't be disrespectful to the community that is trying their best right now to fix everything wrong about it by wishing them the death of the community that is a huge part of their life and that includes some of the victims as well. It is beyond me that some people here are just mindlessly generalizing with no care about any innocent person at all wishing them that they lose the place they belong to.

I don't want the death of the community, but I do want to clean and safe for everyone that wants to be involved.

I also agree that it is unlikely that the Smash community is the only community affected by this and I expect other communities will soon have similar stories posted.

lupinko

Oct 26, 2017
Remember that Swapnote feature from Nintendo. Predators were using it to try and talk to young kids. I think after an article was posted Niintendo just straight up pulled the app. They wanted to get away from that drama as quick as possible.

What article, it was on national tv, some predator used it on kids in Japan.

NoKisum

Nov 11, 2017
DMV Area, USA
"Ugh, why can't Nintendo be more involved and hands on with the Smash community?" This. This is why.

I'd not really bothered with the Smash community before, and all these stories just solidify that I never will.

Mar-Mar

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 30, 2017
Germany
I do want to clean and safe for everyone that wants to be involved
Yes indeed! Drastic measures need to be taken and right now I see people like Leffen who seriously want to do things and a lot are eagerly agreeing. This is a wake-up call that came sadly too late, but it did come. And I hope that now everybody knows that there are no excuses left to be wishy-washy about things.

Potato Mage

Alt-Account
Banned
Apr 28, 2020
User Banned (1 Week): Inappropriate Commentary and Inflammatory Generalization

No, if you can prove a child has been sexually abused you don't need the child to press charges.

A community full of people who seem developmentally delayed when it comes to social skills being a hot spot for pedophiles doesn't seem all that surprising. It's really really sad for all the good people in that community that have been hurt and the ones seeing something they love being torn apart.

Even if it's a headache and not their fault Nintendo PR should give them a hand in cleaning this up and implementing some safety measures for attendees, because it's a terrible look for their games/brand.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
A community full of people who seem developmentally delayed when it comes to social skills being a hot spot for pedophiles doesn't seem all that surprising. It's really really sad for all the good people in that community that have been hurt and the ones seeing something they love being torn apart.

Please save the armchair psychology.

Putting aside that you've just generalized swaths of people based on...apparently nothing, there's no sign that any of these abusers are "developmentally delayed" and in fact, that's giving them an out that they don't deserve

Kitty Paws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 21, 2019
This is disgusting and horrible. That Reddit thread... how can there be so many abusers involved in that community? I feel so bad for the victims who had no idea what they were walking into and only wanted to play a game they loved. The current Smash community needs to be burned to the ground.

ReiGun

Nov 15, 2017
Oh yeah. I forgot all about that.

No way Nintendo doesn't move on this.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Disgusting. All of these creeps need to see some prison time..

Makes you wonder just how many rapists and pedophiles there are among other communities.
That's exactly what I've been thinking.
In the end, I'm unfortunately not even that surprised. I already had quite a grim view of the world. It just shows a small part of the tip of the iceberg, which is already horrible.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah. I forgot all about that.

No way Nintendo doesn't move on this.

Yeah, but in that case, Nintendo was enabling predation by the functionality of that app. Smash Bros is only a background element of the predation here, the actual cause was the culture of the scene that followed it.

I think the best thing Nintendo can do is to ask for specific rules to be adhered to at any event that hosts Super Smash Bros tournaments (such as always required parental supervision for minors, age brackets, etc), and if any event fails to provide any of that, then DMCA it.