• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
Evo needs to be permanently shuttered and the entire scene needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, with an outside governing body that protects minors and keeps them separate from adults in inappropriate settings.

Nintendo now also needs to step in and take action as their game seems to be at the center of this storm. I was of the opinion they should not get involved before, that is no longer the case.

It's done. This is beyond the pale.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
That's the thing when it really does get into the rape/harass/grooming culture territory.

If most people act like that, others are so much more likely to replicate it, even if they very well never might have if they hadn't become part of that apparently quite messed up competitive smash circle.

And "not doing anything like that" becomes difficult when others directly or indirectly nudge you into it. Worse, actively speaking out against it will likely leave you ostracized.

So once that circle went out of whack, I suppose it's no longer that surprising (in hindsight and all) that the majority of those folks has done something heinous. And probably every single one who spend a moderate amount of time in it has at least witnessed something awry :/

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
The number of cases that have been brought to light in the last 4 days is haunting, and it'll keep growing. It sounds like there was so much enabling going on in the scene, so much normalized horrible behaviour amongst figureheads and many attempts to keep victims silent.

From time-to-time for years I'd check out tournament footage or content from so many of these people. People who were in top standing in the community. How terrible it is that this is who they really were.

I hope the victims will be okay.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Evo needs to be permanently shuttered and the entire scene needs to be rebuilt from the ground up, with an outside governing body that protects minors and keeps them separate from adults in inappropriate settings.

Nintendo now also needs to step in and take action as their game seems to be at the center of this storm. I was of the opinion they should not get involved before, that is no longer the case.

The FGC definitely needs to be reconstructed from the ground up, but it's worth noting that - memes aside - the Smash and overall FGC communities are distinct entities. The FGC are no angels, as this week as shown, but going by that list the Smash community might just be worse.

Mahonay

Oct 25, 2017
Pencils Vania
The FGC definitely needs to be reconstructed from the ground up, but it's worth noting that - memes aside - the Smash and overall FGC communities are distinct entities. The FGC are no angels, as this week as shown, but going by that list the Smash community might just be worse.
Smash attracts more minors so it makes sense. Just a predators dream that went completely unchecked.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Yeah considering he's using Nintendo in his name I feel like Nintendo themselves need to aggressively do something about this situation because it's to the point where the Smash Bros. brand itself is going to be associated with this by the layperson.

exactly

name aside, the fact that all these top players/commentators/community figures are getting exposed for assault/pedophilia means that the community needs to clear every single one of them out so we can ensure a safe environment for players and fans of all ages. Otherwise, the sponsorships, playerbase, and good will should rightfully disappear. Get your shit together smash community, we have to be better than this or we might as well not have a community

MoonToon

Banned
Nov 9, 2018

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

It would be dope if Nintendo opens a victim's fund, to help cover their legal fees and help with therapy and anything else they need.

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
It would be dope if Nintendo opens a victim's fund, to help cover their legal fees and help with therapy and anything else they need.
I mean, it'd be nice but ultimately Nintendo doesn't have much to do with any of this. They have always only maintained the slightest connection to the Smash community.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
What a fucking creep. How's he even allowed to have Nintendo in his name? I don't know him, I don't know the scene but my first thought was he's in someway officially related to Nintendo.

What is it with all those "parties" they want to take their fans with them? They sure as hell try to exploit their status and fame. Fucking disgusting.

HOUSEJoseph

Oct 27, 2017
This is really getting ridiculous. We are at a point of who wasn't inappropriately sexually grooming.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
Yeah, at this point I don't think Nintendo will want the slightest of things to do with the Smash community, they certainly won't like their flagship title being in headlines related to what is basically a pedophile/sexual assault ring.
It's such a shame there are so many victims in what is supposed to be a safe space for friendship and having fun playing and talking about videogames and similar hobbies.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo held back their online infrastructure to protect the youth and the OP shows how easily it was circumvented and the Smash scene is having a big scandal one after another.

One of them even having the nickname DJ Nintendo sure isn't a good look even if it's not their fault.

mikhailguy

Banned
Jun 20, 2019

DJ on commentary here. Insane no one told him to GTFO after shit like this in plain sight.

Last edited:

Iori Loco

Nov 10, 2017
Holy shit! That many?!! Can the Smash scene even be reformed with that many accused with name recognition? One can only hope the unknown incidents arent as numerous.

They have to figure out a way to make it work. If they just shut down everything and a bunch of small rogue scenes were created without any regulation, there's no guarantee all this shitshow won't happen again.

HMS_Pinafore

Oct 25, 2017
Straya M8
I know Nintendo is slow with things, but holy fuck, for a family oriented brand, they should put out a statement.
They gave a statement a couple of days ago.

"At Nintendo, we are deeply disturbed by the allegations raised against certain members of the competitive gaming community. They are absolutely impermissible. We want to make it clear that we condemn all acts of violence, harassment, and exploitation against anyone and that we stand with the victims."

www.ign.com

Evo Online Canceled Following Allegations Against Former CEO - IGN

Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat 11 will no longer be a part of Evo 2020 after misconduct allegations brought up against Evo organizer.

Dr.Ifto

Oct 27, 2017
It just keeps getting worse. Was there like a pedophile meeting before hand and they just chose smash? That is a lot of names.

Deleted member 11796

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
gonna fix what I said in another thread

it isn't literally everyone with power being a pedo, it's just everyone in the smash community apparently

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
As a smash player and someone who spent his first adult years trying to get into the smash community, it depresses me to no end. I had such a marvelous image of the Smash competitive community.

I just don't know anymore
Honestly, I had the inverse at the same point in my life. I spent several years getting into the community as a player and accidental TO and quit almost in tears after years of bullying, gaslighting, and property damage.

And yet I never though *this* problem was so wide spread in the community.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is the second announcer after D1, and this also includes the Evo CEO. I have to wonder if this is organised, given we're not just talking players, but now three people (at least) who are organising these tournaments.

I now wonder if match-fixing scandals in the past were done in order to boost underage players to qualify them for tournaments so they could travel and be isolated from their friends and families.

www.polygon.com

Smash Bros. player barred from tournament after match fixing admission

CaptainZack will not be at Smash Con

We need an FBI investigation at this point, honestly.

Soran

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think the next Direct is gonna touch this topic? a lot of people has been negative about Nintendo(no without reasons) involvement but they did make an statement when most people didn't expected it.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017

It's also worth mentioning that there's not really one centralized "Smash Community". Like, TOs largely do their own thing independent from one another. There should definitely be a stronger governing body and much improved systems put in place to prevent these situations from ever happening (much strict rules for alcohol/drugs and minors, minors being accompanied by guardians for starters). But, like, when people say "rebuild from the ground up" I have to wonder what that even means. I don't think getting rid of tournament series that were run by people who were reputable, good, well respected, and have no history of harassment/assault/abuse/etc. and replacing them with a tournament series run by someone else less experienced helps anyone.

I don't say this to downplay the awfulness that has been exposed in the community. It's completely reprehensible that the Smash and FGC were both breading grounds for such monsters and I've spent the last few days frightened that people I've respected and even met have done such horrific acts. But pragmatically, I think radically overhauling accountability and attendance rules rather than getting rid of the scene and starting over would realistically lead to better outcomes.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
This is the second announcer after D1, and this also includes the Evo CEO. I have to wonder if this is organised, given we're not just talking players, but now three people (at least) who are organising these tournaments.

I now wonder if match-fixing scandals in the past were done in order to boost underage players to qualify them for tournaments so they could travel and be isolated from their friends and families.

www.polygon.com

Smash Bros. player barred from tournament after match fixing admission

CaptainZack will not be at Smash Con

We need an FBI investigation at this point, honestly.
Gotta start at the Sky Williams house that appears to be quite the epicenter in all this

SemRockwel

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo needs to step in and burn this whole community to the ground and rebuild it with Nintendo at the helm so this never happens again.