• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
Was her answer posted here already?

The community support for her was pretty outstanding. It made a shitty situation into a good one. I'm happy to hear she's not leaving the community/game.

thevid

Puzzle Master
Oct 25, 2017
It feels a bit too convenient for people to act like this is only a problem for the Smash community. Recently, Riot Games released some info about their Team Fight Tactics beta, and they listed the top 5 players based on MMR. At the top of the list was a girl, itshafu. On stream, she talks about how much it meant to her for Riot to come out and straight up tell people that she had the best MMR for the beta period. And she goes on a little bit about how she has constantly felt like her high level accomplishments across multiple games have been downplayed by people in the community. It was sad to see because she has excelled in so many different games . It's a problem across the board, and shouldn't be brushed off as just a Smash problem.

Was her answer posted here already?

The community support for her was pretty outstanding. It made a shitty situation into a good one. I'm happy to hear she's not leaving the community/game.

That's good to hear.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
My wife never talks online and even has to make a gamer tag look non feminine just to avoid dumb asses like that.... Fucking sad.

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
aw im really glad she decided not to quit!! that set she won against ally was dope as hell and it would've been a goddamn shame to see the scene lose her. the outpouring of support gives me hope.

but fuckin hell man it's astonishing to me that it's 20fucking19 and a girl still can't be good at a goddamn video game without eating shit from a bunch of these fucking bottom feeders. i don't even know where to begin to fix this. who are these nerds? the fuck is their deal?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
aw im really glad she decided not to quit!! that set she won against ally was dope as hell and it would've been a goddamn shame to see the scene lose her. the outpouring of support gives me hope.

but fuckin hell man it's astonishing to me that it's 20fucking19 and a girl still can't be good at a goddamn video game without eating shit from a bunch of these fucking bottom feeders. i don't even know where to begin to fix this. who are these nerds? the fuck is their deal?
It's never going to be fixed. This is humanity. You can only keep weeding these weirdos out (which there's plenty in the gaming community in general). They'll only be replaced by new ones, sadly. The overall positive support is great and people in her position should always see that.

coconut gun

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
It's never going to be fixed. This is humanity. You can only keep weeding these weirdos out (which there's plenty in the gaming community in general). They'll only be replaced by new ones, sadly. The overall positive support is great and people in her position should always see that.

i refuse to believe there's something base in human instinct that causes them to be genuinely, crushingly mean to people over video games

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
What the hell is wrong with some people? This is absolutely disgraceful. No one should go under that amount of harassment. At least she's getting some positive feedback.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware Melee still has a following but being pissed about a 20yo game that is the exact same right now as it was the day it launched dying seems like an exercise in futility. It's going to grow stale eventually. If anything, I'd imagine someone getting good with an unpopular character would add some variety to the whole thing.

I suppose some people really can't handle fame, however relative it may be. Goes both for getting it and losing it.
why does it matter how old the game is?

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
yeah i obviously believe it's learned/empowered behavior. i just wanna know how we go about deprogramming it.
First step should be deplatforming wikis and doxxing sites. They aren't the biggest force behind most harasment campaigns but they're a sordid, filthy corner of the internet that only serves to radicalize it's users and others against minorities and normalize hate.

Wikia, for example, should have way better moderation.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
This is a bloody disgrace.

It was also pointed out to me that this Ally chap is someone who was accussed of commiting sexual harrassment in the past and yet, despite all that, he is fully embraced by the Smash tournament community. But someone who commits the apparent sins of being 1. a girl 2. an Isabelle player is just too much for some people to bear.

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
Gaming as a whole is like this, but smash goes the extra mile for shitty communities

Remember when they boo'd the grand finals because bayonetta was picked? And then the players fucking lamed out a match because they got pissed? Real classy

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Maybe someone already linked it, but I saw on my twitter that a private Discord dedicated to Smash players made by and for women in Europe and another one in France exists, shouldn't be hard to find with some web research.

ChemicalWorld

Dec 6, 2017
Honestly why in the fuck are people this backwards in this day and age? I had a female friend back in the day that constantly trounced me at Counterstrike Source and I never had a problem with it. All I could think of was wow she's fucking good at this, mad skills. Why does it feel like the world is turning to shit? :(

Exede

Banned
Feb 8, 2019
Maybe someone already linked it, but I saw on my twitter that a private Discord dedicated to Smash players made by and for women in Europe and another one in France exists, shouldn't be hard to find with some web research.
This is a thing? Its sad that this has to exist in 2019. Bullying is always wrong. Discremination couse of ethnics, religion looks and gender is wrong on so many levels.
Well and France is in Europe

Feb 9, 2019
Gacha Hell
why does it matter how old the game is?

A game that old with multiple equally popular sequels out will inevitably fade away. I sincerely doubt Melee is drawing new players in considering how many hoops you have to jump through to play it (old console, old game, heck, old TVs) and again, the fact there are newer and much more readily available Smash games out. It's being kept alive by the same people and those won't stick around forever either.

HK-47

Oct 25, 2017
A game that old with multiple equally popular sequels out will inevitably fade away. I sincerely doubt Melee is drawing new players in considering how many hoops you have to jump through to play it (old console, old game, heck, old TVs) and again, the fact there are newer and much more readily available Smash games out. It's being kept alive by the same people and those won't stick around forever either.
Again, how is that relevant?

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So, new context. Bocchi has been found making racist statements on Discord.

*MOD EDIT: SCREENSHOTS REMOVED*

Last edited by a moderator:

Cronogear

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 27, 2017
The community rallies in support of her and then this shit happens

giphy.gif

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
That was about the least expected thread bump. God damn it.
Stroder is one of the better players from AZ afaik too.

Hoa

Jun 6, 2018
Remember, you can condemn both of these incidents. One doesn't validate the other.

Such a shame though.

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
Remember, you can condemn both of these incidents. One doesn't validate the other.

Such a shame though.

Definitely, but you know for sure that the bullies will use it for validation.

Why can't people just be normal?

Edit: And what the hell is up with this new Twitter? It's layout is horrible and for some reason everything is in Arabic for me.

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
You would think the N-word is just some genetic verbal tic for these people that they seem completely unable to stop themselves from saying.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
I'm not all that savy in the latest social media stuff, but would it not be fairly simple to fake such screenshots? That appears to be an extremely simple layout .

Deleted member 23212

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I'm not all that savy in the latest social media stuff, but would it not be fairly simple to fake such screenshots? That appears to be an extremely simple layout .
Yes, but I think she later tried to defend her statements in the replies (I don't know for sure since the post itself was deleted and can only guess the context from the replies).

I'm not saying she deserved to get bullied, I posted it in this thread because I wasn't sure if it warranted its own thread.

Auto

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's pretty sad some dude went through Discord messages all the way back to 2018 to find dirt against this kid.

Still that's a huge No and I'm disappointed her parents failed her. Hopefully she will learn from her mistakes.

Status
Not open for further replies.