• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8001

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
No, I just found it comical that a game could give so very much and yet some people were genuinely acting like they'd been short changed because the novelty sandbag walloping mode wasn't there.
I don't enjoy World of Light so if you're on that side of the fence then the lack of arcadey quick get in and get out of modes definitely is a bummer.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
Come to think of it, maybe that's the reason Joker is referred to as "Jack". Maybe it wasn't so much a choice to obfuscate things from dataminers, as it was because needed a name to contrast with an unnamed female version, so they just went with a generic all-purpose name for Joker on top of it rather than the on-and-off "Ren" which is never really utilized in the mainline titles. The fact that it doesn't refer to Joker directly might just be a bonus when it comes to hiding info from datamining, because Brave is a much more obvious codename that doesn't really obfuscate much.

It's something that's bothered me for a while because the whole "Joker = Jack" correlation only really seems obvious in hindsight. If we didn't know Joker was coming, we'd most likely be speculating to this very day who it might refer to. The same can't be said about Brave.
I guess we won't know until someone finds the third character, but this would indeed explain so much about "Brave" being there.

NeonZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Let me say that I think the 4 alts for Erdrick rumor is bogus.
They can't even be arsed to make alts for so many first party characters, outside of Bowser Jr. who is a special case, nobody else had more than 2 real alts that aren't just color changes iirc
Mario with the builder and wedding outfit

The inklings have different outfits for each alt, although the base body is the same for each gender, but all the accessories and such are actually modeled, not just texture changes. There's also villager, although outside of the face that's mostly different textures. Cloud also got technically 3 alts last time (standard, AC, and AC with torn sleeves).

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Somebody posted on reddit before Isabelle's reveal giving some details about her (such as her fishing pole) and mentioned the existence of Piranha Plant. He also mentioned that HRC and a few other modes would be added in a patch.
Interesting! Funny I missed this person. They seem on the money. Thanks.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Maybe they'll go full hog and Jack Frost and Slime will be full on AT's included with their respective packs. I'd prefer that honestly, makes the DLC characters feel more integrated into the game as a whole.
I'm guessing this is the correct way to take it if the leak is legit.

That aside, other demon/shadow cameos in the background is still a must.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
Ah, I hadn't thought of it that way. I guess that could possibly be the case too, hmm... That would probably mean that Joker doesn't use other Personas in his moveset other than Arsene then, 'cause if he did Jack Frost would probably be one that he'd use, right?

In the Persona fighting games so far, the main characters only use their main, iconic, unique Persona, so I'd honestly imagined Smash would be the same.

stan423321

Oct 25, 2017
How does that work again in Persona itself? Most characters have one, but Joker can rebind? If so, I see no collision here. If you have a Persona fighting game you maybe don't want that unique character (or subset of characters) that has many for either balance (if they're bound to particular mechanics) or appeal reasons. If you have Smash, there's no comparison point, so Sakurai can do whatever.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In the Persona fighting games so far, the main characters only use their main, iconic, unique Persona, so I'd honestly imagined Smash would be the same.
Margaret's an exception with her use of 3 different personas, but yeah.
Mega Man gets to use a huge assortment of robot master weapons, though, so I think Joker should get to have just as much fun

IT'S ONLY FAIR
For the way I want Joker to play like, I don't think I'd like this much. I want it to be about multi-pronged attacks by remotely manipulating Arsene while also controlling Joker. I love that stuff.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Mega Man gets to use a huge assortment of robot master weapons, though, so I think Joker should get to have just as much fun

IT'S ONLY FAIR
Bayonetta was still robbed, though. No giant electric hammer, no triple-bladed claw scythe, no quadruple wielding swords... or the first game's rocket launchers, ice skates, etc.

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
So, what's this I'm hearing about a female Joker?
Speculation that the "Jane" in the Smash DLC leaks is related to "Jack", which is Joker. So a female skin for Joker leads to additional speculation about a female MC in the Switch version of Persona 5.

A lot of speculation, but very interesting, and it ties together well.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I was already super hyped for Joker and I was hoping there would be a possibility of a female alt. My hype has risen
271dcc4bb476b6003ffdb99a7f420637.jpg

(I like this fan art, but it needs pants)

Metto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I was already super hyped for Joker and I was hoping there would be a possibility of a female alt. My hype has risen
271dcc4bb476b6003ffdb99a7f420637.jpg

(I like this fan art, but it needs pants)
Kind of funny seeing this fan design having twin tails taking in the context of the potential real FemJoker having a ponytail

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Makes sense when you think about it.

They'd want her to stand out from Ann. I wonder if she'd have black hair or if they'd go with a different color?
Black makes the most sense since Ann is blonde, Makoto and Haru different shades of brunette and Futaba a redhead.
The only overlap would be if they decided to add Hifumi to the main party again in the rerelease

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
With Xbox Game Pass (likely) coming to the Switch; if we still get Steve over Master Chief or Banjo (who are both part of the Game Pass line-up) I will be very disappointed.

Challenger Pack 1: Joker - Mementos
Challenger Pack 2: Erdrick - Alefgard
Challenger Pack 3: Banjo & Kazooie - Grunty's Lair
Challenger Pack 4: Doom Marine - Mars
Challenger Pack 5: ??? (I have plenty of picks I would like here: Phoenix Wright, Leon Kennedy, Dante, Monster Hunter, Lloyd Irving, The Prince, Ryu Hayabusa; I would welcome them all).

That's the dream (though I would've preferred a different SE rep, but i'll accept Erdrick). Though, two western third-parties might be a bit too much.

Regulus Tera

Oct 25, 2017
Monster Hunter and Banjo would make me the happiest. Only way they could top that is with Cuphead but even I am not that optimistic.

Zarzolaon

Mar 16, 2018
OH
Black makes the most sense since Ann is blonde, Makoto and Haru different shades of brunette and Futaba a redhead.
The only overlap would be if they decided to add Hifumi to the main party again in the rerelease
Black feels the most appropriate, but they did go with a different color for the female P3 MC. There's still the gray like Yu and Akihiko. Or Mitsuru's red, perhaps darker?

Razmos

Oct 28, 2017
Black feels the most appropriate, but they did go with a different color for the female P3 MC. There's still the gray like Yu and Akihiko. Or Mitsuru's red, perhaps darker?
Red, black or grey would work really well with Joker's outfit i feel, and the school uniform

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Don't worry Elma fans, maybe 10 years from now in the next Smash Bros. she'll show up as an assist trophy.

i'm sorry

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Margaret is not a Protagonist character.
Oh right, I misinterpreted that and was thinking it was talking about the Persona Arena characters as a whole since everyone has 1 persona except for Margaret. I'm thinking about whether the SSBU devs will take cues from the fighting games like with Ryu/Ken, or make him wholly unique.

wildvine47

Feb 20, 2018
Sorry to kill the hype for female Joker, but I personally think based on how Smash does it's files there's no way that file is for that kind of thing.

So for every character's alt costumes there's specific files, starting with c00 for the default and going up to c07 for their last alt. For each and every character with a genderswap alt, the gender alternates between costumes, meaning the following is true of most characters with gender options:

Male: c00, c02, c04, c06
Female: c01, c03, c05, c07

The only exceptions are Inkling and WFT, but that's just because they're female by default so it's just the same thing reversed. So even if there was a female Joker, the file that's been datamined is a c06 file, meaning it's for a male Joker costume. So really, it gives us nothing. Joker would have to be female by default for it to be relevant, and there's no way in hell that's happening. More likely this is a file for something like the inevitable All-Out Attack Final Smash where Ann shows up or something.

Kirbivore

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Sorry to kill the hype for female Joker, but I personally think based on how Smash does it's files there's no way that file is for that kind of thing.

So for every character's alt costumes there's specific files, starting with c00 for the default and going up to c07 for their last alt. For each and every character with a genderswap alt, the gender alternates between costumes, meaning the following is true of most characters with gender options:

The only exceptions are Inkling and WFT, but that's just because they're female by default so it's just the same thing reversed. So even if there was a female Joker, the file that's been datamined is a c06 file, meaning it's for a male Joker costume. So really, it gives us nothing. Joker would have to be female by default for it to be relevant, and there's no way in hell that's happening. More likely this is a file for something like the inevitable All-Out Attack Final Smash where Ann shows up or something.

But it so had Ponytail

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Hang on a sec, didn't someone find files in the game that listed the names of some old Rare games?

If so, I think Banjo's odds might actually not be so bad considering that Ultimate already has files referencing old games that are just as irrelevant as he is, if not more so. And with the Microsoft deal looking more likely by the day, why else would Ultimate have those files than for Banjo anyway?

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018

Why is there a filename for "Jane," then?

Tab

Nov 23, 2017
Hang on a sec, didn't someone find files in the game that listed the names of some old Rare games?

If so, I think Banjo's odds might actually not be so bad considering that Ultimate already has files referencing old games that are just as irrelevant as he is, if not more so. And with the Microsoft deal looking more likely by the day, why else would Ultimate have those files than for Banjo anyway?

If I remember correctly, those games were Blast Corps and Jet Force Gemini. Nintendo has the trademark or something for their Japanese titles, but not the games themselves. The devs were likely just mistaken and thought Nintendo actually owned those games.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia

The Jet Force Gemini and Blast Corps names can be explained: both of those games had different titles in Japan (Star Twins and Blast Dozer), which Nintendo still own. The team putting together the Spirit list likely believed Nintendo owned the rights to those games because they owned the Japanese titles, but after they found out that they didn't, they scrapped any planned Spirits from those games.