• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
That Erdrick rumor ...

Guys. There's gonna be an Erdrick amiibo.
I wonder if they'll even bother giving Erdrick a Player 2 amiibo like they did for Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta, since (according to the rumor) he has four unique appearances (Male Erdrick, Female Erdrick, Luminary and Anlucia). Seems like too much effort.

Also this amiibo talk made me realise that Nintendo will probably make me buy a Steve amiibo. Ugh.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just curious since I've never played the game - why is this area the "most obvious choice"?
Persona takes place in a combination of real-world Japan and "shadow worlds", which are different in each game but are basically alternate dimensions where the demons live. Straight up Tokyo wouldn't be very interesting for Smash, especially to the devs, and Mementos is basically the main recurring area of the shadow world in P5.

This and in addition, in context to Persona 5 itself. Mementos is the location (or palace) of everyone's hearts (or their collective consciousness so to say). Besides being the recurring location of where shadows are, it also represents the people's thoughts, feelings, desires, and distortions. To put it in Smash brothers makes sense with a huge roster with everyone as diverse as they are. I wouldn't be surprised if we see shadows pop up in the level or NPCs with distorted desires pop up (similar to castlevania's level)

I'd love a Codec/Guidance mechanic with the Phantom Thieves.
I was just talking about this with someone else. Have Oracle use her navigation mechanic to brief joker in a 1 on 1 fight in mementos. It would be awesome if they did something like that.

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
This and in addition, in context to Persona 5 itself. Mementos is the location (or palace) of everyone's hearts (or their collective consciousness so to say). Besides being the recurring location of where shadows are, it also represents the people's thoughts, feelings, desires, and distortions. To put it in Smash brothers makes sense with a huge roster with everyone as diverse as they are. I wouldn't be surprised if we see shadows pop up in the level or NPCs with distorted desires pop up (similar to castlevania's level)

The previous leak/rumor that suggested Mementos straight up said stage effects with Persona appearing (Jack Frost named in particular), so pretty likely I think. Sits very much in line with what they did with summons in Midgar, too, as some iconic Persona can serve to represent the rest of the series outside 5, just as Shiva, Ifrit, Bahamut, Ramuh do for FF.

Mgs2master2

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The previous leak/rumor that suggested Mementos straight up said stage effects with Persona appearing (Jack Frost named in particular), so pretty likely I think. Sits very much in line with what they did with summons in Midgar, too, as some iconic Persona can serve to represent the rest of the series outside 5, just as Shiva, Ifrit, Bahamut, Ramuh do for FF.

I see. I may have not read the leak fully, Just remembered Joker, mementos, and jack frost. Thanks for elaborating that part further for me. Makes me more excited then for what may be implemented in mementos. With Sakurai stating in an interview from a couple years ago (i want to say) that P5 was one of his favorite games of all time, he will do justice for the stage. I am looking forward to the dlc when it drops.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
I'm not sure I believe this about female Joker... it's more than likely just a reference to Ann.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
What am I looking at here?
Haruka Amami from the Bamco series The iDOLM@STER wearing armour while wielding a sword.

Why ought you be like this?
Because while there are other characters I'd love to see in Smash like Twinbee, Haruka Amami is just so much fun to root for and bring up.

I want it, I need it
the perfect namco rep
You know it!
DTMRUfD.jpg

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they'll even bother giving Erdrick a Player 2 amiibo like they did for Cloud, Corrin and Bayonetta, since (according to the rumor) he has four unique appearances (Male Erdrick, Female Erdrick, Luminary and Anlucia). Seems like too much effort.

Also this amiibo talk made me realise that Nintendo will probably make me buy a Steve amiibo. Ugh.
Making a Luminary Amiibo would make sense. Though I guess an Erdrick amiibo could still work as promo for DQ11 in the west if it unlocks something like a costume

Qwark

Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna bet on their being a female MC for joker. Mainly because for the upcoming rumored port, that would be the way you sell the game again to anyone who has already played and beat it. A lot of people aren't going to double dip on a 90+ hour game to play the same content but portable. But they would if there's something like a whole new aspect to the campaign. Especially if it's moreso than what Persona 4 Golden offered. Plus the whole "we want a female MC" has been something people have wanted for awhile now.
I could totally see this, but if they use Jane as a codename... that's really lame compared to Joker. Unless Jane is the canon actual name, and she's still codename Joker.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I could totally see this, but if they use Jane as a codename... that's really lame compared to Joker. Unless Jane is the canon actual name, and she's still codename Joker.
Jack is Joker's codename in the strings. It's not codename as a Phantom Thief, it's literally "internal codename."

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
I don't believe that rumor said Jack Frost appears as a stage element, but rather as part of Joker's moveset. It said that Jack Frost (and Slime in regards to Erdrick) "appears on stage with a skill," which is an odd way to put it but I assume by "skill" they mean special moves or something. Not to say that that means the Mementos stage wouldn't still have Personas appearing in some way, of course.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Jack is Joker's codename in the strings. It's not codename as a Phantom Thief, it's literally "internal codename."
Come to think of it, maybe that's the reason Joker is referred to as "Jack". Maybe it wasn't so much a choice to obfuscate things from dataminers, as it was because needed a name to contrast with an unnamed female version, so they just went with a generic all-purpose name for Joker on top of it rather than the on-and-off "Ren" which is never really utilized in the mainline titles. The fact that it doesn't refer to Joker directly might just be a bonus when it comes to hiding info from datamining, because Brave is a much more obvious codename that doesn't really obfuscate much.

It's something that's bothered me for a while because the whole "Joker = Jack" correlation only really seems obvious in hindsight. If we didn't know Joker was coming, we'd most likely be speculating to this very day who it might refer to. The same can't be said about Brave.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Remember the leak from the play tester who revealed Piranha Plant weeks before the Direct? They also mentioned Homerun Contest amongst other additions.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
What if only one costume has the ponytail data because we'll get one costume per gender in casual clothes? So basically, Joker's alternate costumes would look something like this:

1. Male Joker (default)
  2. Female Joker (default)
  3. Male Joker 2
  4. Female Joker 2
  5. Male Joker 3
  6. Female Joker 3
  7. Casual clothes male Joker
  8. Casual clothes female Joker

This would make sense if female Joker's ponytail is only present in her casual attire, while her hair is either styled differently or obscured in her Phantom Thieves look. Of course, that doesn't explain why the ponytail data seems to be on Joker's 7th alt, so I'm not sure what's going on with the ordering there.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Come to think of it, maybe that's the reason Joker is referred to as "Jack". Maybe it wasn't so much a choice to obfuscate things from dataminers, as it was because needed a name to contrast with an unnamed female version, so they just went with a generic all-purpose name for Joker on top of it rather than the on-and-off "Ren" which is never really utilized in the mainline titles. The fact that it doesn't refer to Joker directly might just be a bonus when it comes to hiding info from datamining, because Brave is a much more obvious codename that doesn't really obfuscate much.

It's something that's bothered me for a while because the whole "Joker = Jack" correlation only really seems obvious in hindsight. If we didn't know Joker was coming, we'd most likely be speculating to this very day who it might refer to. The same can't be said about Brave.
To be fair, Yu Narukami also wasn't utilized in the mainline games. Just the canon spin-offs (P4A, for example).

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Oh I forgot about that part, thanks. Totally plausible then. Still curious what the female MC codename would be.
It'd still be Joker. There would only be a problem if Smash went with the canon name (Ren Amamiya, though they could change it to Rin for Lady Joker).

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, Yu Narukami also wasn't utilized in the mainline games. Just the canon spin-offs (P4A, for example).

Right. And it's ever unlikely they'd use any spin off names for this at all, especially when in this capacity, they're purely going to refer to the Phantom Thief.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Right. And it's ever unlikely they'd use any spin off names for this at all, especially when in this capacity, they're purely going to refer to the Phantom Thief.
To be fair, the names (Makoto, Yu, Ren) are actually canon as far as Atlus is concerned, hence their constant use.

Honestly, I'm surprised that they didn't reference Yu's name in P4G's opening.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, the names (Makoto, Yu, Ren) are actually canon as far as Atlus is concerned, hence their constant use.

Honestly, I'm surprised that they didn't reference Yu's name in P4G's opening.
Because within the context of the actual Persona games, the heroes are named by the player and have no canon names. The 'canon' names only come up in spinoffs and adaptations made after the fact, which are secondary to the mainline games and are not the concern of the developers of the mainline titles.

Illusion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if only one costume has the ponytail data because we'll get one costume per gender in casual clothes? So basically, Joker's alternate costumes would look something like this:

1. Male Joker (default)
  2. Female Joker (default)
  3. Male Joker 2
  4. Female Joker 2
  5. Male Joker 3
  6. Female Joker 3
  7. Casual clothes male Joker
  8. Casual clothes female Joker

This would make sense if female Joker's ponytail is only present in her casual attire, while her hair is either styled differently or obscured in her Phantom Thieves look. Of course, that doesn't explain why the ponytail data seems to be on Joker's 7th alt, so I'm not sure what's going on with the ordering there.
Interesting thought. It might actually be why they announced Persona 5 R but showed next to nothing of the game. Adding a female alternate for the protagonist was highly requested. So revealing female Joker via Smash to promote the new version of the game seems possible.

Neoxon

Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Because within the context of the actual Persona games, the heroes are named by the player and have no canon names. The 'canon' names only come up in spinoffs and adaptations made after the fact, which are secondary to the mainline games and are not the concern of the developers of the mainline titles.
Still, of the 3, they committed to Yu's name the hardest. But all the same, I get your point.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Joker with red gloves
Joker with blue gloves
Joker with green gloves
Joker with yellow gloves
Joker with purple gloves
Joker with orange gloves
Joker with white gloves and red mask
Joker with gingham gloves

APZonerunner

Features Editor at VG247.com
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
England
I don't believe that rumor said Jack Frost appears as a stage element, but rather as part of Joker's moveset. It said that Jack Frost (and Slime in regards to Erdrick) "appears on stage with a skill," which is an odd way to put it but I assume by "skill" they mean special moves or something. Not to say that that means the Mementos stage wouldn't still have Personas appearing in some way, of course.

See, I take that to mean Jack Frost appears on mementos and uses a skill, much the same as "Bahamut appears on stage and casts Megaflare", but to be fair either definition could work.

Gleethor

Oct 25, 2017
Dot Matrix with stereo sound
Maybe they'll go full hog and Jack Frost and Slime will be full on AT's included with their respective packs. I'd prefer that honestly, makes the DLC characters feel more integrated into the game as a whole.

Tye

Oct 27, 2017
See, I take that to mean Jack Frost appears on mementos and uses a skill, much the same as "Bahamut appears on stage and casts Megaflare", but to be fair either definition could work.
Ah, I hadn't thought of it that way. I guess that could possibly be the case too, hmm... That would probably mean that Joker doesn't use other Personas in his moveset other than Arsene then, 'cause if he did Jack Frost would probably be one that he'd use, right?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait for Home Run Contest to return and the few people lamenting the lack of it as a genuine sore spot to Ultimate's content play it once and then never touch it again.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Let me say that I think the 4 alts for Erdrick rumor is bogus.
They can't even be arsed to make alts for so many first party characters, outside of Bowser Jr. who is a special case, nobody else had more than 2 real alts that aren't just color changes iirc
Mario with the builder and wedding outfit
Not sure if you count Mac separately as well with the hoodie (which he wears into every match anyway) and the wireframe

I think it will just be Luminary. Erdrick isn't even really relevant to DQ XI, the game they seem to be pushing so hard. At the very least I think Luminary will be the default. Would like to see a curve ball and it be Jade instead but there is a 0% chance of that happening

ned_ballad

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Rochester, New York
Does having options truly offend you?

It's okay, my sweet child.
Ultimate made me realize that a lot of the "options" Smash had been collecting over the years weren't really used all that much and when they were cut, I barely even noticed them missing.

The thing with HRC is there's barely any tech or challenge to it. Anyone can step up and just neutral special with Roy and go absurd distances.

Remember coin battle? Does anyone?

How about Rival Smash?

The Team Healer item?

Smash Kirby

One Winged Slayer
Nov 7, 2017
With everything coming out, I am wondering how rushed Smash Ultimate really was. With how split the development seems, it makes me wonder if some assist trophies were actually considered and working as full fighters but paired back in order to keep development easier for the team. It is really weird how some assists like Isaac have frame data for spot dodges and animates for air dodges as well.

IntelliHeath

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird.
It seems like Nintendo is... Somehow... Listening to the feedback... It's not normal.
What now ? Xcloud on switch ?!?! Lol I know I'm dumb

It's more of like they already had the plans for the features to been the game than listening to the feedbacks. I think Sakurai and Nintendo this time are planning similar concepts that they did for Arms and Splatoon where we would get new contents over the time to ease the development of Ultimate and not force them to meet everything by deadline. Ultimate requires quite a lot of time t to be worked on so it's not surprising that they want to iron out another contents and release them later as expansion or downloadable supports. (something like Arms and their modes being added afterward)