• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Zach Aguilar revealed in a tweet that he voices Byleth in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, noting that it's a childhood dream come true. He goes on to say that he's had one of the best days of his life:

His positivity is contagious, and his tweets begin to pick up some serious steam. Members of the Smash community, of course, have to go out of their way to make sure that no one can enjoy this moment, because they aren't happy.

Then of course you see a lot of these half-hearted congratulations and concern trolling:

I don't want this thread to only be about how terrible the Smash community can be (and how entitled we all can be as gamers sometimes), so if you see this and you have Twitter, maybe drop a word of honest congratulations for this guy.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
seems like being a Fire Emblem voice actor that also does work for Smash is doubly painful thanks to the shitheads in that fanbase.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Like, why?

It just makes folks not want to engage with the community because there's a irrational group ready and waiting to bitch at you for some ancillary reasoning.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad I'm out of that Smash bubble because I didn't consider Byleth to be a bad announcement.
And yes, congratulations Zach, must feel good to be able to achieve your dreams!

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
User warned: threadwhining; derail attempt
This topic should be reserved at laughing at Chris Niosi who specifically lost the role because he was bragging about being able to be in Smash.

I hate these kinds of topics where the opinions of random nobodies is taken as significant or worth signal boosting. It's cool that he's happy to be in Smash, but it sucks that his character essentially speaks in random grunts

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Y'know when I saw a topic about Byleth's Smash VA I expected it to be the mega juicy story of Chris Niosi passive aggressively congratulating Zach after having his chance at being in Smash ripped away from him, not fans being... well, "fans".

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017
This topic should be reserved at laughing at Chris Niosi who specifically lost the role because he was bragging about being able to be in Smash.
You sure that's the reason and not:

Nintendo plans to remove voice actor Chris Niosi from Fire Emblem: Three Houses, following accusations of abuse by former friends and girlfriends.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Why go to the voice actor about your grievances regarding the existence of a character in a game? Super dumb, super unnecessary. Try not being an asshole.

Niosai

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Sigh... It really sucks, because he shouldn't have to worry about this awesome dream-come-true being tainted like this.

Gold Arsene

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Attention Smash Community.

f0182ccdd6c9ec6e74ef9d3bb4f1f601.gif

-PXG-

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NJ
Yeah, I'm pissed we got another Fire Emblem character, but it's not cool to harass the damn voice actor. It ain't his fault. Jesus...

Deleted member 11626

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Between the Sword/Shield stuff and this, not really a good look for Nintendo fans lately. Considering the past transgressions of the Smash community at large, it's pretty difficult to refrain from calling that fan base toxic.

Mar 30, 2019
The sooner we ignore these babies the better. If all they can contribute is animosity then I'm not respecting them. I'm not even that pleased another Fire Emblem character took up a slot, but I also have tons of other fighters I love in the game. It's really not a big deal at all. I was even disappointed with Piranha Plant, but I turned around and loved it. One of my favorites now. This game is already wonderful; having additional content is welcome on all fronts.

Edit: On second thought, they should be called out on it for good measure. No opportunity to dodge.

PlzUninstall

Oct 30, 2017
Twitter needs to default to just turning replies off. It's so unnecessary. Feel sorry for the guy, doing what he loves with a big company and he gets taken down by nobodies for a decision he didn't even get a say in.

OP
OP
Cloud-Hidden

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017

I hate these kinds of topics where the opinions of random nobodies is taken as significant or worth signal boosting. It's cool that he's happy to be in Smash, but it sucks that his character essentially speaks in random grunts
I certainly do not think that these nobodies' opinions are significant, nor do I want to signal-boost their voices. Rather, I'd like to stir the voices of this community instead.

I saw this on my feed and immediately chimed on to let this dude know that I'm rooting for him. I'm hoping anyone here who sees this and cares will add their voices to the many, many supportive people who are already lifting him up. If we can drown out the manbabies, we should.

mentallyinept

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
People are assholes...

Really heartwarming sentiment for the voice actor though. Congrats to him.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
Because it's totally his fault that Byleth was picked /s

Don't know why people always have to shit on someone else's happiness.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
I'm so happy this guy achieved his dream. It must be amazing to be a part of the Smash universe.

I'm not so happy with how shitty the Smash community is when it comes to Fire Emblem, though. We get it, you guys don't like it, you can shut up now.

Nov 17, 2017
To be honest, none of the examples you posted seem like a big deal. Seems like a real stretch to say that angry players are trying to shit on him if these are the worst examples you could find.

Ushojax

Oct 30, 2017
Every day I feel more certain that the internet was a terrible mistake that will destroy humanity.

Jegriva

Banned
Sep 23, 2019
User Banned (5 Days): Trolling, History of Trolling
I mean, he should had realized the community reception.

If someone work in the funerals department, he shouldn't celebrate when a road accident occurs.

Deleted member 10726

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
ResetERA
Given that the OG Post has 51.1k likes and Zach's own follow-up 1.5k, compared to the 165 or less likes of the examples shown, it can be reasonably assumed that we're looking at a vocal minority here and most people are happy about Zach getting to be in Smash.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
To be honest, none of the examples you posted seem like a big deal. Seems like a real stretch to say that angry players are trying to shit on him if these are the worst examples you could find.

Its less that they're "shitting on him" and more that its the absolute worst place to be shouting about how much the DLC wasn't what they wanted.

cmChimera

Oct 28, 2017
It's really frustrating to see people try to diminish someone's hard work and ambition like that. I know the thread isn't only about entitlement, but it plays a large part. That and a void of empathy.

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Given that the OG Post has 51.1k likes and Zach's own follow-up 1.5k, compared to the 165 or less likes of the examples shown, it can be reasonably assumed that we're looking at a vocal minority here and most people are happy about Zach getting to be in Smash.
"Vast majority of Smash fans are happy for voice actor whose childhood dream comes true" doesn't bring in the clicks.

BE MAD. ALL THE TIME.

OP
OP
Cloud-Hidden

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
I didn't scroll through all of his comments. These were just near the top, and I was moved. Feel free to hunt for something more toxic if you feel like it'd make for a better thread.

I just wanted to rally some positivity, because what I saw made my stomach sink.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
Between the Sword/Shield stuff and this, not really a good look for Nintendo fans lately. Considering the past transgressions of the Smash community at large, it's pretty difficult to refrain from calling that fan base toxic.
hey not all Nintendo series communities are filled with shitheads like the Pokemon and Smash communitites. feels kinda unfair to throw everyone under the bus because of these people.

it's coming to the point people that aren't garbage like them have to hide it because of others saying this.

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
I mean, he should had realized the community reception.

If someone work in the funerals department, he shouldn't celebrate when a road accident occurs.
Yeah, no. Not similar at all - one would be disgusting and massively inappropriate behaviour, the other is someone excited that they're going to be in a massive video game.

Viale

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I am sorry for him, but I wasn't aware Byleth had voice acting, or at least I can't remember.
He/she has some of the better crit lines imo.

"Allow me to demonstrate!"

"Here's something to believe in!"

They do a good job even if it's not terribly much. I'm sure it's a pretty cool moment for the guy. Real shame to have it rained on.

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
I'd be pretty stoked too to voice a Smash character.

Yeah I'm disappointed it's Byleth (and that FemByleth still has her atrocious outfit), instead of something more interesting (hell, do Edelgard if you want FE!) but that's not on the VAs. People are just poopooheads far too often when they don't get what they want.

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
Good on this guy.

But these fans really do not represent a lot of us. We aren't THAT bitter over Byleth's inclusion.

I've warmed up to them. Byleth actually looks really fun, if they play well enough I may make them one of my mains.

Space Hunter

Feb 12, 2018
I was about to say, it seems people are only reading the title. The second example is pretty rude but the other two must be the tamest "shitting" I've ever seen.