• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I honestly think Dark Samus and the other post-N64 content kind of ruins this. It'd be a much more focused and effective project if it stuck to feeling like an unearthed Smash 64 sequel.

Probably because clones like Dark Samus are easier to add to this mod then full on new characters. Also adding mostly 64 era characters would likely lead to all the newcomers being the same characters added to Melee and Brawl.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
Probably because clones like Dark Samus are easier to add to this mod then full on new characters.
If we're talking clones, I'd take the likes of Donkey Kong Jr., Funky Kong, Slippy, Peppy, Raichu, Black Shadow, or Ninten over an anachronistic character like Dark Samus. It's so jarring to me that it destroys the illusion.
Also adding mostly 64 era characters would likely lead to all the newcomers being the same characters added to Melee and Brawl.
There are still plenty of untapped '80s-'90s characters, including Toad, Geno, Dixie Kong, Meowth, James Bond, Sukapon, Takamaru, and so on. That shouldn't be a concern to whoever is making this.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
If we're talking clones, I'd take the likes of Donkey Kong Jr., Funky Kong, Slippy, Peppy, Raichu, Black Shadow, or Ninten over an anachronistic character like Dark Samus. It's so jarring to me that it destroys the illusion.

There are still plenty of untapped '80s-'90s characters, including Toad, Geno, Dixie Kong, Meowth, James Bond, Sukapon, Takamaru, and so on. That shouldn't be a concern to whoever is making this.

It's not like Smash wasn't known for adding characters before their games released like with Roy and Corrin. Just head canon that smash remix would have come out in 2001 (2 years after the original), and Dark Samus was a tease for the upcoming Metroid Prime a year later :P

Dark Samus is close enough that it doesn't bother me as much as if they added like Byleth or Inkling... that said I would love to see how an N64 era Inkling would work.

Ryce

Oct 25, 2017
It's not like Smash wasn't known for adding characters before their games released like with Roy and Corrin. Just head canon that smash remix would have come out in 2001 (2 years after the original), and Dark Samus was a tease for the upcoming Metroid Prime a year later :P

Dark Samus is close enough that it doesn't bother me as much as if they added like Byleth or Inkling... that said I would love to see how an N64 era Inkling would work.
This looks like it would have come out in late 1999 or early 2000 as an expansion to the original game. That's half a decade before Dark Samus' formal debut in Metroid Prime 2 (the design used here).

I just think it's really jarring that a '90s game with a '90s aesthetic has a GameCube/Wii character. It's an odd direction to take. Even Wario is based on his classic games in this.

Toxi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is already an alternate timeline. Just pretend the N64 Metroid happened and Dark Samus was in that one.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA

If you don't like it, make your own.

I think it's great that they started out with clones that already exist in other Smash games, even if they weren't from the N64 era. That likely let the team get a handle on modifying the original game with simpler "new" characters, then building the tools/knowledge needed to make Wario with a wholly new moveset in today's update. Even if this project died tomorrow due to a C&D, I'd call this a huge success in terms of Smash-related mod scope.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm very curious if they're able to create completely new characters. Wario was still originally a Mario clone. Would be interesting to see if they could make Peach and Zelda, or even Bowser.

My best ideas for new clones would be Donkey Kong Jr., Raichu, and Birdo.

Last edited:

Taco_Human

Jan 6, 2018
MA
I like to imagine these are what sequels would like look had consoles had longer lifespans. I love these mods.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
This is super cool, wow. But what's the deal with Falco being a bobblehead? :D

This is already an alternate timeline. Just pretend the N64 Metroid happened and Dark Samus was in that one.

Probably easier to pretend that Dark Samus appeared on the alternate timeline version of Super Metroid. :)

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
That's the way. You can pretend Mother 3 came out on the N64 too and add N64's version of Lucas!

Lucas and Pichu feel like two more obvious clones to include in this mod. At the same time I hope we see more full on (relatively) new characters like Wario over more clones (assuming they plan to stop making new characters once the ? Blocks are filled)

Mariolee

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wow this is incredible, and literally a dream for my 5 year old self when playing the OG. I love this.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
Spiral Mountain but no Banjo???? For shame!

But yeah, I understand why. There wouldn't be any suitable characters to reskin Banjo into. Still, everything about this is pretty cool!

New Character Reveal!
OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017

source.gif

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Omg! This is so fucking awesome!!!

The feedback and hit impact from 64 will always be classic.

J75

Sep 29, 2018
It's crazy seeing all of these mods for this game. I can't imagine all of the stuff we would get if they also did a full source decompilation job like they did with SM64

PBalfredo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Wow that's great! I like how they even got the music for Lucas to sound like the old EB64 Spaceworld demo

heh, I just realized they gave Lucas Ness' upair from Ultimate. Clever.

Ginger Hail

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Smashketball stage and the MvC2 remix in the 64 soundfont both made me smile. Always fun to see the updates this team puts out.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
No surprise by the Lucas clone, hopefully next will be Pichu and be done with the obvious clone options.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how I missed this until now, super cool.

Ganondorf is a ton of fun. Want to find a simple way to set up some macros for my GC controller for C stick aerials though.

EditorMax

Aug 5, 2020
God I love how well each new character fits with the aesthetic. Like they all really seem like they could have been in Smash 64
would love to see footage of giga bowser

OP
OP
Lady Bow

Lady Bow

Nov 30, 2017
Uploaded some gameplay/overview with the latest Smash Remix update with Bowser. Captured on a N64 with the UltraHDMI mod.