• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which do you prefer

• Smarties

Votes: 154 23.6%
  • M&Ms

Votes: 363 55.7%
  • They taste the same to me

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • They taste different, but like them equally

Votes: 43 6.6%
  • Both are terrible

Votes: 21 3.2%
  • I've only ever had US Smarties, so my opinion doesn't matter

Votes: 63 9.7%

• Total voters

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Smarties are way better than M&Ms, but my friend thinks they taste the same. I think that's madness. What say you Era?

Edit:
Apparently, in the US, smarties refers to something entirely different. I'm referring to the non US smarties which are chocolates covered in a candy shell.

Last edited:

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You have to understand that here in the US, Smarties are these cheap sugar tablets that are usually in the cheapo candy assortments, so that's going to skew things heavily.

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
What do you mean taste differently? One of them is a chalk candy and the other is chocolate. Of course they taste different. Unless you mean the colors? Am I missing something here? I'm confused. Help.

Sybil

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Taste the same? wait, what the? I feel like we're burying the lede here with your friend with these strange tastebuds

edit: oh, nestle smarties. eh

CypherSignal

Oct 25, 2017
We need an important clarification here for the Americans that this poll is in reference to Nestle's candy-coated chocolate, and not the plastic-wrapped chalk discs.

(also mars' chocolate is better than nestle's chocolate, so m&m's wins)

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
smarties are basically chalk.
Only US Smarties. In the rest of the world Smarties and M&Ms are similar chocolates.

dscf0660.jpg

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Smarties are better but Peanut M&M's are the GOAT, regular M&M's are not very good.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
What do you mean taste differently? One of them is a chalk candy and the other is chocolate. Of course they taste different. Unless you mean the colors? Am I missing something here? I'm confused. Help.
Taste the same? wait, what the? I feel like we're burying the lede here with your friend with these strange tastebuds
Outside of the U.S., Smarties are a completely different chocolate candy

14444048-toronto-canada-may-10-2012-this-is-a-studio-shot-of-smarties-candy-coated-milk-chocolate-made-by-nes.jpg

Morrigan

Spear of the Metal Church
Oct 24, 2017
OP, in case you don't know, outside of Canada, Smarties are this utter garbage, called Rockets over here:

giant-smarties2_1024x1024.jpg

As such the poll will be lopsided :(

Canadian Smarties. AKA the superior Smarties. And they are superior to M&Ms too.

Edit: beaten like those poor Smarties in the poll

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Why does the US have to be this weird with candy? A Milky Way is called a 3 Musketeers in the US, while what's called Milky Way in the US is actually a Mars bar. Shit will never make sense.

OP
OP
padlock

padlock

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
OP, in case you don't know, outside of Canada, Smarties are this utter garbage, called Rockets over here:

giant-smarties2_1024x1024.jpg

As such the poll will be lopsided :(

Canadian Smarties. AKA the superior Smarties. And they are superior to M&Ms too.

Ok, wow. I can see where the confusion comes from. I'll edit the OP to explain what I meant.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Why does the US have to be this weird with candy? A Milky Way is called a 3 Musketeers in the US, while what's called Milky Way in the US is actually a Mars bar. Shit will never make sense.

Fun Fact: 3 Musketeers started out as three small candy bars. Chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry.

cff62584b9503c1583c57405feb51606.jpg

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Smarties 100%. M&Ms taste gross unless they're the peanut ones. Smarties on the other hand are larger, crunchier, and taste way better.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
It's been awhile since I had both but iirc M&Ms melts faster compared to smarties, which I really like.

i_am_ben

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if the recipes are the same as in other countries but at least here in Australia: m&ms > smarties

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
I like smarties more than some people in this thread but between the two definitely M&Ms. skittles are still GOAT though

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
I have 1Kilogram of smarties in front of me as well as 1 kilogram of M&ms.

So they both even.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
The M&Ms I know of have peanuts in them, while the smarties are flat chocolate with sugar coating only. So I prefer M&Ms.

Ashdroid

Oct 27, 2017
non U.S. Smarties > U.S. Smarties > M&Ms

Not that I dislike M&Ms, but I like Smarties more.

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this poll is going to be heavily skewed because US Smarties are garbage chalk. I've heard UK Smarties are really good but never had them.