• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
I wanted to have a small database of the "best versions" of Nintendo classics, so I made this list of QoL and translations hacks (some of them already mentioned here). I've not included rebalanced or cosmetic hacks, nor fan-games. I'm not familiar with Pokémon games and those have a gazillion of hacks, so I didn't include them (except the English translation of TCG2 for GBC). I might add Castlevania and Final Fantasy hacks later.

Super Mario
Super Mario Bros. 2: Improvements
Super Mario Bros. 3: Extended edition (JP damage system, lost levels)
Super Mario Land: Color patch
Super Mario Land 2: Color patch
Super Mario All-Stars: SMB1+LL brick fix, SMB1+LL Spiny Egg fix, SMB3 JP damage system, World Redux
Super Mario 64: Reduced Lag

Super Mario RPG: JPN/PAL Button Colors
Mario & Wario: Controller hack
Paper Mario 2: Improvements
Mario Kart Super Circuit: Color hack, Restoration hack

Super Mario Advance: Color restoration, Voice removal
Super Mario Advance 2: Color restoration, Voice removal, Instrument restoration
Super Mario Advance 3: Color restoration, Voice removal
Super Mario Advance 4: Color restoration, Voice removal, E-Reader levels

Also: Patch to convert NES Super Mario Bros. into obscure Super Mario Bros. Special, with Spiny Egg fix

The Legend of Zelda
Zelda 1: Redux (WIP)
Zelda 2: Redux (WIP)
A Link to the Past: Redux
Link's Awakening DX: Redux
Oracle of Ages: VWF patch, Force GBA mode + GBC palette
Oracle of Seasons: Force GBA mode + GBC palette
Minish Cap: Fix for European version
Phantom Hourglass: D-Pad hack
Spirit Tracks: D-Pad Hack
Majora's Mask 3D: Project Restoration

BS Zelda: Mottzilla Project
BS Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets: Patches for Week 1-4
Tingle's Balloon Trip: Translation

Metroid
Metroid NES: Metroid + Saving adds Minimap, Savefiles, Beamstacking
Metroid II: Color patch
Super Metroid: Redux
Metroid Fusion: English patch for JP version (which includes Hard and Easy mode)
Metroid Zero Mission: Remove Chozo Statue, Menu Hack

Fire Emblem
Shadow Dragon NES: Translation
Gaiden: Translation with addendum
Mystery of the Emblem: Translation
Genealogy of Holy War: Project Narga Translation
Thracia 776: Translation and QoL, Unit ordering
Binding Blade: Translation
Blazing Sword: Enemy Range, Remove tutorial
Sacred Stones: Lots of QoL features
Path of Radiance: English patch for JP version (which included Maniac Mode)
Shadow Dragon DS: Full content patch
New Mystery: Translation
Shadows of Valentia: Disable World Map Reinforcements

Tear Ring Saga: Translation
Berwick Saga: Translation

Famicom / Advance Wars
Famicom Wars: Translation
Super Famicom Wars: Translation
Game Boy Wars Turbo: Translation
Game Boy Wars 2: Translation (Post-game not translated)
Game Boy Wars 3: Menu translation, Improvements
Advance Wars 2: Defense hack

MOTHER

Other Nintendo games
NES
Joy Mech Fight: Translation
Startropics: Music fix, No movement delay
The Mysterious Muramase Castle: Translation

SNES
Famicom Tantei Club II: Translation
F-Zero: Tracks unlocked, MSU-1, BS F-Zero GP2 tracks and vehicles
Kirby's Super Star Stacker: Translation
Panel de Pon: Translation
Sutte Hakkun: Translation
Wrecking Crew 98: Translation
Satellaview BIOS

GB/C
Balloon Fight GBC: Translation
Card Hero: Translation (WIP)
Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru: Translation
Pokémon Trading Card Game 2: Translation
Wario Land 2: Uncensor, Bug Fix

N64
Custom Robot 64: Translation
Donkey Kong 64: Tag Anywhere
Sin & Punishment: Translation
Translations of 64DD games

GBA
Densetsu no Stafy 1: Translation (beta)
Drill Dozer: EU Multi5
F-Zero Climax: Menu translation
Game & Watch Gallery 4: LCD ghosting removal
Kururin Paradise: Translation
Magical Vacation: Translation
Napoleon: Translation
Rhythm Tengoku: Translation

NDS
Chibi-Robo Clean Sweep: Translation
Soma Bringer: Translation

Wii
Captain Rainbow: Almost complete translation
Project Zero 4: Translation

3DS
Flipnote Studios 3D: Online restore

Castlevania
Castlevania NES:
Castlevania 2:
Castlevania 3:
Super Castlevania IV: Uncensored
Rondo of Blood: PSP translation

The Adventure: Quick Fix, Autoboot for Konami GB Collection 1
Belmont's Revenge: Speed Hack, Autoboot for Konami GB Collection 2
Legends: Speed Hack

Dracula X Chronicles: Black Border

Circle of the Moon:
Harmony of Dissonance: Localisation fix
Aria of Sorrow: Translation fix
Dawn of Sorrow:
Portrait of Ruin:

General
Patch to force GB mode for GBC games
Patch to force GBA mode for GBC games
60 fps cheat codes for GC/Wii games
60 fps cheat codes for 3DS games
Wiimmfi guide (Patch Wii games for online playing)
HOLY SHIT

A NON GARBAGE FE5 PATCH
I HAVE WAITED FOR SO LONG

Oct 27, 2017
Great post! FYI, your Super Mario Bros Special links are both linked to the Spiny Behaviour Hack.

But I did search for the Special hack. Great. Could you elaborate for me the difference between the two versions?
Here's what it says:

" v2017325, is the latest revision containing a few minor additional tiles from "All Night Nippon Super Mario Bros." and "Super Mario Maker" "

Could you tell me what those tiles are, if you know?

I played up through about world 3 in each of them, can't say I noticed a difference between the two patches. Wonder what they are..
No idea. The author wanted to make SMB Special as... "special" as possible, so it was probably a minor tile to give the game more identity.

Btw, I fixed the SMBS link and added a list of Castlevania hacks. I noticed someone just made a similar hack converting SMB into Vs. SMB. I've also found this hack which converts Fire Emblem Sacred Stones into a remake of BS Fire Emblem maps - not as polished as the Mario ones, but nice.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't want to make a separate thread just for this question, so this might be the best place to ask.

Aside from romhack.net, what's a good resource that lists all the recent and new fan translations out there?

I'm particularly curious how many exist for PSX games, but I've been told before that Romhack doesn't keep track of all the fan translations out there.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
812titlescreen.png

In Zombies Ate My Neighbours for SNES it's only possible to cycle forward through your weapons and items. With this Reverse Cycling Rom Hack it makes cycling through your stuff a LOT easier.

https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4318/

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I found this patch for Illusion of gaia:

www.romhacking.net

Apocalypse Gaia (True Final Boss)

In the [i]Illusion of Gaia[/i] code, there is an unused boss fight that is bigger, meaner, and tough

apparently the final boss for the game was changed but the file was kept. So this patch restores the first planned final boss. Is that true?

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
Is the shit-terrible, constantly looping, short OST for the PSP remake of Persona 1 killing your desire to play the game?

Enjoy this Original Soundtrack Restoration Mod, so you no longer need to listen to the bizarre engrish and can instead rock out to the original, atmospheric PSX soundtrack.

The changes to the soundtrack were very drastic in the PSP version, both limiting the amount of songs (meaning that specific boss themes or other unique songs were replaced by repeated generics), and wildly changing the tone. Many people have complained about the annoying new music, so this should make your day if the music was getting in the way of you playing this (still pretty terrible) game!

Last edited:

Rirse

Jun 29, 2019
Is the shit-terrible, constantly looping, short OST for the PSP remake of Persona 1 killing your desire to play the game?

Enjoy this Original Soundtrack Restoration Mod, so you no longer need to listen to the bizarre engrish and can instead rock out to the original, atmospheric PSX soundtrack.

The changes to the soundtrack were very drastic in the PSP version, both limiting the amount of songs (meaning that specific boss themes or other unique songs were replaced my repeated generics), and wildly changing the tone. Many people have complained about the annoying new music, so this should make your day if the music was getting in the way of you playing this (still pretty terrible) game!

Might have to try that. I do like the new songs (especially the boss theme), but yeah it loops so fast.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Now here's a cool QoL hack for Majora's Mask on N64:
www.romhacking.net

Majora's Mask Redux

Majora's Mask Redux is a hack that aims to improve the original experience of Majora's Mas

It permanently affixes each of the transformation masks and the Ocarina to the cardinal directions of the Dpad once collected, freeing up your C-buttons for everything else.

5122screenshot1.png

Only downside is that you lose the ability to tuck the mini-map away. Also includes a few other gameplay speed-ups like faster block-pushing, and the ability to play the ocarina underwater when in Zora form.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017

Not sure I like the new font (though it looks like that too is a toggle, so not a big deal), but the other additions seem nice.

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to have a small database of the "best versions" of Nintendo classics, so I made this list of QoL and translations hacks (some of them already mentioned here). I've not included rebalanced or cosmetic hacks, nor fan-games. I'm not familiar with Pokémon games and those have a gazillion of hacks, so I didn't include them (except the English translation of TCG2 for GBC). I might add Final Fantasy hacks later.

General

Super Mario
Super Mario All-Stars: SMB1+LL brick fix, SMB1+LL Spiny Egg fix, SMB3 JP damage system, World Redux

Also:
- Patch to convert NES Super Mario Bros. into obscure Super Mario Bros. Special, with Spiny Egg fix
- Patch to convert NES Super Mario Bros. into arcade Vs. Super Mario Bros.

The Legend of Zelda
Ocarina of Time: Redux
Majora's Mask: Redux

Metroid
Metroid Fusion: English patch for JP version (which includes Hard and Easy mode)

Fire Emblem

Fan-remake of BS Fire Emblem maps for Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones

Famicom / Advance Wars

MOTHER

Other Nintendo games
NES

SNES
Satellaview BIOS

GB/C

N64

GBA

NDS

Wii

3DS

Castlevania
Castlevania NES: Improved Controls
Castlevania 2: Retranslation + Map
Castlevania 3: Retranslation (for JP ROM), Retranslation (for US ROM), Bug fix, Improved Controls

Symphony of the Night: Quality hack
Dawn of Sorrow: Definitive Edition
Portrait of Ruin: Portrait of Elegance
Added Redux patches for OoT and MM, great way to play the 64 classics.

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
Quite a nice colorization. There are some missing color cycling effects (screen transitions, flickering on certain objects), but after playing it I can't go back to monochrome.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There are a few SA-1 based hacks for SNES games that notoriously suffer from slowdown.. Gradius 3, Contra 3, and Super Mario World

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
There was SOOO much slowdown in that section that the game was running at half speed. I'll admit, it looked way more dramatic with the slowdown as you take the big jump off the minecart though.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing thread! Thanks to OP and everyone's suggestions, some quality stuff in here.

Nov 19, 2019
There is a 4 MB hack for Castlevania Symphony of the Night on Saturn. Improves slowdown and some other small fixes.

The same author has also done a King of Fighters '95 patch that removes the need for the ROM cartridge.

www.retrorgb.com

Saturn King of Fighters '95 4MB RAM Cart Hack

YZB first brought us a 4MB optimized Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and now they have patched Saturn's King of Fighters '95 to bypass its proprietary ROM cart, utilizing common aftermarket 4MB RAM carts instead, just as they did for Ultraman recently. Like Ultraman, KOF95's custom ROM cart work

NovumVeritas

Oct 26, 2017
Berlin
The same author has also done a King of Fighters '95 patch that removes the need for the ROM cartridge.

www.retrorgb.com

Saturn King of Fighters '95 4MB RAM Cart Hack

YZB first brought us a 4MB optimized Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, and now they have patched Saturn's King of Fighters '95 to bypass its proprietary ROM cart, utilizing common aftermarket 4MB RAM carts instead, just as they did for Ultraman recently. Like Ultraman, KOF95's custom ROM cart work
Oh sweet. Really cool. Thanks :)

ray_caster

Nov 7, 2017
I made a thread a while back about the Doom games for the GBA, and it turns out there are a few essential patches for them.

First, there is a smaller patch for Doom 2 on the GBA that restores the PC palette and uncensores content.

Secondly, there is a major patch for the original Doom on the GBA that improves framerate, restores cut content (monsters, props, gore, levels etc.), adds back the PC palette, and replaces that awful music with the original tracks, and adds custom WAD support. Using the tools provided in the git repository above, you can even compile a version of Doom for the GBA running Plutonia, TNT, or even Sigil!

Oct 27, 2017

Awakened

Oct 27, 2017
This one's quite interesting.

Mario 2 on the NES has a bug where animated objects have 8 frames but the game only uses 7 of them.

This fixes that and now they use all of the frames!

www.romhacking.net

Super Mario USA/2 Graphics animation fix

Simple fix for all three verified Super Mario USA/2 ROMs ((J), (U) PRG0 and PRG1/Rev A) that fixes a
I've been using the Improvement hack for awhile, which restores that extra frame, the death sound effect, fixes typos and a few other things:

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Bit of a random question, but I figured this was the thread to ask it - is there any hack / patch for Earthbound that reduces the flashing onscreen during battles?

I had a history of seizures as a child, and while I haven't had one in a long time, I really appreciate newer re-releases of retro games taking photosensitive people into consideration. Despite looking, though, I can't seem to find a rom hack that does the same thing for a standard rom dumped from the SNES version.

Would also appreciate knowing about other photosensitivity / epilepsy hacks out there for other games!

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
Bit of a random question, but I figured this was the thread to ask it - is there any hack / patch for Earthbound that reduces the flashing onscreen during battles?

I had a history of seizures as a child, and while I haven't had one in a long time, I really appreciate newer re-releases of retro games taking photosensitive people into consideration. Despite looking, though, I can't seem to find a rom hack that does the same thing for a standard rom dumped from the SNES version.

Would also appreciate knowing about other photosensitivity / epilepsy hacks out there for other games!

Not a patch, but the NES and SNES Classic consoles do exactly this. Earthbound included.

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
rom hackers have traditionally seen Nintendo's attempts to tone down any flashing sequences in their games as a form of censorship so i don't think pushing hacks that reduce flashing would be something they'd be interested in.

A cursory search on RHDN did turn up one for Zelda II:
www.romhacking.net

Zelda II: Remove big flasheffect

Tested with the "Zelda II - The Adventure of Link (U)" [b]What does it do?[/b] - Sim

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
Any know of a patch that can fix the camera in Alien3 on the Megadrive, you more or less have to have Ripley almost to the edge of the screen people the screen would start to scrolling, this makes reacting to Aliens that come on the screen far more difficult that it should be.

So just wondering if there was a patch that kept Ripley more or less centred on the screen when the screen would start to scroll!?

BlockABoots

Oct 27, 2017
It's never been my favorite in the series, but I've been replaying Return of Double Dragon / Super Double Dragon with the Kencho Hacks.

It's made quite the difference in terms of overall enjoyment of the game. The faster charging Dragon Power Meter now makes it a more viable means of attack, and not having to time your blocks makes it just as viable for defense.

That game always seem fairly slowly paced, would of been nice if they could of sped the game up slightly

Oct 27, 2017

It's included in MaternalBound Redux, which is the best way to play EarthBound / MOTHER2
github.com

GitHub - ShadowOne333/MaternalBound-Redux: A new version of MaternalBound, complete with New Controls and MSU-1 integration... And a lot more features!

A new version of MaternalBound, complete with New Controls and MSU-1 integration... And a lot more features! - ShadowOne333/MaternalBound-Redux

Woylie

May 9, 2018
It's included in MaternalBound Redux, which is the best way to play EarthBound / MOTHER2
github.com

GitHub - ShadowOne333/MaternalBound-Redux: A new version of MaternalBound, complete with New Controls and MSU-1 integration... And a lot more features!

A new version of MaternalBound, complete with New Controls and MSU-1 integration... And a lot more features! - ShadowOne333/MaternalBound-Redux

Thank you, definitely going to check this out! I think the thing that had initially scared me off from Maternalbound was the description of "uncensoring" and "more accurate translation" for the game - does it change the script/humor very dramatically? I love Earthbound's English localization, so I just want to make sure it retains the same quirkiness as the SNES release. If so, it sounds about perfect!

Oct 27, 2017
does it change the script/humor very dramatically?
Nah, you'll be fine. It's not a literal re-translation. It's using EarthBound script as a base restoring some references to alcohol, tobacco, or religion here and there and some minor jokes which were lost (also it changes Pokey name to Porky because it's Porky).

It's still EarthBound, but closer to the Japanese script.

SonicXtreme

Oct 27, 2017
I made an 'nba jam TE: bubble edition' for snes which is just a personal side hack of the nba jam 2k20/alex caruso packs on romhacking; updated some of the later trades not in that edition and splashed 'legacy' lineups all over; lots of the secondary lineups in the game just do player a/b player b/a, so i just replaced a bunch of the lesser important secondary roster slots to get things like lebron/kyrie cavs, kobe+ shaq/lebron/magic/karl malone/horace grant/gasol, kd/westbrook/harden okc lineups, CP/griffin clips lineup, nash/shaq fantasy suns lineups with their current guys, pretty much any legacy/fantasy lineup i could see based on the roster content of the previous hacks. also updated the stats as much as i could.

not sure how to make an official patch for romhacking.net (and i'd feel kinda lame doing it since all I did was edit based on what the 2k20/AC guys did; which is mad impressive. I just added a ton of legacy/fantasy lineups, some recent trades that weren't in it like wiggins/deangelo, and adjusted many stats to feel more up to date), but if anyone would like to try it out, message me your email :)

emperor bohe

Oct 27, 2017
I wanted to have a small database of the "best versions" of Nintendo classics, so I made this list of QoL and translations hacks (some of them already mentioned here). I've not included rebalanced or cosmetic hacks, nor fan-games. I'm not familiar with Pokémon games and those have a gazillion of hacks, so I didn't include them (except the English translation of TCG2 for GBC). I might add Final Fantasy hacks later.

General

Super Mario

Also:
- Patch to convert NES Super Mario Bros. into obscure Super Mario Bros. Special, with Spiny Egg fix

The Legend of Zelda

Metroid

Fire Emblem

Famicom / Advance Wars

MOTHER

Other Nintendo games
NES

SNES
Satellaview BIOS

GB/C

N64

GBA

NDS

Wii

3DS

Castlevania
Castlevania 3: Retranslation (for JP ROM), Retranslation (for US ROM), Bug fix, Improved Controls

Thank you for this!

Psxphile

Oct 27, 2017
Just noticed this:
Phantasy Star II - Reduced Flicker and Flash hack

From the Readme:
When allies and enemies are damaged in Phantasy Star II, three times their sprites flicker and the
screen flashes red. The flickering artificially extends battles and the red flashing poses an issue
for people with epilepsy or related disorders.

To address these problems, three patches are included in this archive:

1. PSII - Minimal Flickering.ips (by veo)
Enemies and allies will only flicker once when damaged.

2. PSII - No Red Flashes.ips (by veo)
Disables the screen flashing red when units are damaged.

3. PSII - Abbreviated Victories.ips (by vivify93)
Reduces the battle reward messages to say, "XXXX and party win!", "### EXP.", and "### MST."

NOTE: To apply multiple patches in tandem, you may need to reverify the checksum with Kuwabara's
utility Fix CheckSum. https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/342/

paging 1upsuper, I remember you asked about this very thing in an old Phantasy Star related thread

Oct 27, 2017

General

Super Mario
Super Mario World: DX (+ several optional patches to play as Luigi, Peach or Toad)

Also:

The Legend of Zelda
Oracle of Ages: Force GBA mode + GBC palette

Metroid

Fire Emblem
BS Fire Emblem: Translation
Thracia 776: Translation and QoL
New Mystery: Translation, Old Mystery of the Emblem

Famicom / Advance Wars

MOTHER

Other Nintendo games
NES

SNES
Satellaview BIOS

GB/C

N64

GBA
F-Zero GP Legend: e-reader content

NDS

Wii

3DS

Castlevania

List updated, for anyone interested

KainXVIII

Oct 26, 2017
Yesterday i finished 7th Saga with this patch https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/264/ (it make game closer to much easier japanese version + some other changes)
Game still has some difficulty spikes, especially at the end (minor grinding required), i don't know if its was worth it (especially after super lame ending) but my old gestalt is finally closed! And i can move on to Mystic Ark 😑

20201212124924_1.jpg