• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Burai

Oct 27, 2017
It's big, but it's not that drastic. They've used a wide angle shot to make it look bigger than it really is.

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017

Reddit post

Possibly some very good news for those of us that want the FE in an SFF, this guy watercools like everything and now with FE?

"Yeah I wanna use a 3090 in a personal rig, and I don't wanna water cool it- I don't wanna water cool it.

We have, obviously, a lot of cooler testing to do- we can't do any cooler testing today, or... we can't show you the results- cause I can tell you we've already turned this thing on and plugged it in, and... *gasp* you gotta wait... for that embargo lift.

But I'm gonna tell you right now... yeah- just get ready, okay?"

dear god, sounds promising

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Watching this thread with interest!! I bought an Alienware Alpha R2 four years ago and I use it all the time for evening gaming away from my work desk and computer. The built in 960 GPU still manages pretty nicely, but I know at some point I'd like to replace it with something newer.

A word of caution for folk, some of the fans on these tiny PCs can be very loud!

Oct 25, 2017
Watching this thread with interest!! I bought an Alienware Alpha R2 four years ago and I use it all the time for evening gaming away from my work desk and computer. The built in 960 GPU still manages pretty nicely, but I know at some point I'd like to replace it with something newer.

A word of caution for folk, some of the fans on these tiny PCs can be very loud!
hey I used to have one of those!

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
If I'm wanting to run Nintendo N64 (I know N64 emulation is a bit of a crap shoot) and Dolphin (moreso Gamecube than anything else) emulators, in a console sized case (Mini-Atx) for as cheap as possible - what components am I looking at?
I highly recommend the 2016 Alienware alpha r2 if you can find it cheap. I use mine for Dolphin and N64 all the time.

iareharSon

Oct 30, 2017
I highly recommend the 2016 Alienware alpha r2 if you can find it cheap. I use mine for Dolphin and N64 all the time.

This is so creepy LOL. I literally had an itch to purchase a small PC for emulation again just yesterday, spilling into today. There's a lot of interesting options out there including something like a Lenovo Thinkcentre.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of the 3080 FE in a FormD T1, if the PSU is in 3 slot mode so there's a bit of space between it and the GPU backplate, maybe putting a tiny fan on the bottom of the case to push air up towards the exhaust fan on top might work? I'll need to measure my case later, but maybe this 40x10mm Noctua fan might work. I'd definitely need to get more custom cables so it won't be so cluttered.

Are there case fans smaller than this?

Buggy Loop

Oct 27, 2017
Speaking of the 3080 FE in a FormD T1, if the PSU is in 3 slot mode so there's a bit of space between it and the GPU backplate, maybe putting a tiny fan on the bottom of the case to push air up towards the exhaust fan on top might work? I'll need to measure my case later, but maybe this 40x10mm Noctua fan might work. I'd definitely need to get more custom cables so it won't be so cluttered.

Are there case fans smaller than this?

I guess it's possible, but without having the case myself till sometime in November, i'm stuck reading about it :p

What i want to avoid is noise. I'm no a node 202 right now, thermals and noise are the biggest gripe so far in my SFF experience.

Seems to be plenty of talk about 3d printing a duct on T1 forums, peoples are looking into modelling it.

I still think that if you bother fitting a fan in there rather than a duct, why not a laptop blower fan? Right in that gap between PSU & GPU and facing the fan.

Hc091861982bf4b4698afa56e609a8c46Q.jpg
à
HTB1wBQJMAvoK1RjSZPfq6xPKFXaW.jpg

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I guess it's possible, but without having the case myself till sometime in November, i'm stuck reading about it :p

What i want to avoid is noise. I'm no a node 202 right now, thermals and noise are the biggest gripe so far in my SFF experience.

Seems to be plenty of talk about 3d printing a duct on T1 forums, peoples are looking into modelling it.

I still think that if you bother fitting a fan in there rather than a duct, why not a laptop blower fan? Right in that gap between PSU & GPU and facing the fan.

Hc091861982bf4b4698afa56e609a8c46Q.jpg
à
HTB1wBQJMAvoK1RjSZPfq6xPKFXaW.jpg

I was thinking of a Noctua fan since they're the quietest ones available. I feel like laptop fans will be noisier. If I can get a FE and my Ventus preorder holds up, I can test out both and see which one runs cooler.

Oct 25, 2017
Been having a shitty time trying to get my hands on a new Corsair SF 750. They're all out of stock on various sites, and being sold at stupid markups on ebay. ShopBLT.com has a 300+ customer backorder on SF's that have a nebulous arrival date that's being pushed back every passing day.

Thanks to this reddit thread, Amazon Germany came to the rescue! US accounts just work ™, all you have to do is login. Signed up for a temp prime trial just to be safe.

Should be compatible with the US grid according to the thread, and a $6 US power cord slots right in. Corsair honors the warranty in the US as well.

W/ Global shipping, it came out to $177.57, which was almost the same price as the typical US price ($184.99)+tax ($14.79)+free shipping+ AND the 5% Paypal Bonus w/ Cash Back Match I was going to get on the card I was buying parts with. Had to use a Master Card debit for reasons instead, but it looks like I'm in the clear.

Good stuff, go, go, go!

Oct 25, 2017
Been having a shitty time trying to get my hands on a new Corsair SF 750. They're all out of stock on various sites, and being sold at stupid markups on ebay. ShopBLT.com has a 300+ customer backorder on SF's that have a nebulous arrival date that's being pushed back every passing day.

Thanks to this reddit thread, Amazon Germany came to the rescue! US accounts just work ™, all you have to do is login. Signed up for a temp prime trial just to be safe.

Should be compatible with the US grid according to the thread, and a $6 US power cord slots right in. Corsair honors the warranty in the US as well.

W/ Global shipping, it came out to $177.57, which was almost the same price as the typical US price ($184.99)+tax ($14.79)+free shipping+ AND the 5% Paypal Bonus w/ Cash Back Match I was going to get on the card I was buying parts with. Had to use a Master Card debit for reasons instead, but it looks like I'm in the clear.

Good stuff, go, go, go!
I was so close to biting but I will be strong. My SF600 is good enough...

kami_sama

Oct 26, 2017
Yo, I am currently compiling data about the 3080s and one thing I wanna put in there is compatibility with some sff cases. Ncase and cerberus. And I had a question. How much do the power cables add to the overall size?
Doesn't change anything about the ncase m1 (only the xc3 and fe fit) but it might for the cerberus.

SiG

Oct 25, 2017
Are all PowerCool AXRX 5700 ITX GPUs gone? Or are they just still exclusive to Japan? (Or both?)

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Well, after years of ugly as hell tower cases, decided to go with this ITX beauty for my next rig. Reviews seem to be good, and I'm hoping everything will fit lol. the 3070 should fit if I go by the spec, but this is my first non-tower PC so I'm super nervous nothing is going to fit.
a2_121217.jpg

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Well, after years of ugly as hell tower cases, decided to go with this ITX beauty for my next rig. Reviews seem to be good, and I'm hoping everything will fit lol. the 3070 should fit if I go by the spec, but this is my first non-tower PC so I'm super nervous nothing is going to fit.
a2_121217.jpg

Link to product page?

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
a2_121217.jpg
Wow, this looks neat. Please keep us updated on how it goes and share some pics. Good luck.

dude

Oct 25, 2017
Tel Aviv
Thanks! I've never heard of this before. I did just get into SFFPC earlier this summer and had never seen the SFFPC subreddit talk about this case. I just looked it up and it released in December 2017? Definitely post pics of your completed build! I'm curious to see what the temperatures are like.
I didn't know about it until I googled "horizontal PC cases" in frustration and this came up! I was surprised no one talk about it, considering how nice-looking it is (at least IMO, but my current apartment is basically made of IKEA furniture and plants - So maybe it's just me.) Apparently it was Kickstarted, even?
I'll definitely post pics of it when it's done.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Whats a good - not tiny - case for an ITX motherboard witht space for neat cable management (eg rear compartment/PSU basement) - for possibly transplanting my 6700k/Noctua air cooler/GTX1080/regular ATX PSU before I sell it. Currently in a bitfenix prodigy but the case has gone icky. I'm guessing room for GPUs would be good in case the buyer wants future upgrade options too.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Hey all, I just noticed that Newegg (actual Newegg, not another seller) was offering backorders on the Corsair SF750 PSU at MSRP (and not the crazy markup we've been seeing). Previously they just weren't offering orders at all except through marked up third-party sellers, so I put in an order thinking they may know they have stock incoming and was hoping that might put me in the queue to get one that they're getting in. It says "ship within 15-25 days".

I may be totally wrong on this, but thought I'd drop this bit of intel if anyone else wanted to see if this nabs them one at msrp.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Hey all, I just noticed that Newegg (actual Newegg, not another seller) was offering backorders on the SF750 PSU at MSRP (and not the crazy markup we've been seeing). Previously they just weren't offering orders, so I put in an order thinking they may know they have stock incoming and was hoping that might put me in the queue to get one that they're getting in. It says "ship within 15-25 days".

I may be totally wrong on this, but thought I'd drop this bit of intel if anyone else wanted to see if this nabs them one at msrp.

Yup, I posted this last night. I hope whoever needed one was able to place a pre-order.

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Was initially looking at a new m-ATX case but saw the coolermaster nr200p and happened across a cheap Asus Strix B450 ITX board and here I am.

Picked up the motherboard earlier today, ordered the NR200p and a Corsair SF750 which will hopefully be here tomorrow. Hopefully I can attach the antennas from my existing wifi card to the strix onboard wifi and I'll get my hands on dac somewhere down the line.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Repost from the 3080 FE review thread, someone tested the thermals in a NZXT H1:

You can jump to about the 8 minute mark and he talks about temperatures. The 3080 reached 87C on load in the H1, not good at all. The flow thru design of the Founder's Edition doesn't seem to be a good match for the NZXT H1.

Maybe a 3080 AIB like the MSI Ventus might do better, as its backplate seems solid and is not a flow thru design. I've got a FormD T1, which has much much better airflow than the NZXT H1, so it's possible the FE temps may be better, but will it be 8-10 degrees better? That's my hope but I'll have to wait for Optimum Tech to review the 3080 FE, as he uses the T1 as well.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
I love the "Enthoo Evolv Shift" by Phanteks but by the looks of it it's basically a "Liquid Cooling Required" case, right? I can't imagine there's a whole lot of air flow through there otherwise.

Shift-1.jpg

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like undervolting is possible, there's still hope yet for a 600W PSU

Edit-

I looked through the review and it looks like he's using a 8700K on a Z370 board.

Total system power consumption:
Stock 3080 peaked around 534W
Undervolted 3080 peaked around 468W

Last edited:

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I love the "Enthoo Evolv Shift" by Phanteks but by the looks of it it's basically a "Liquid Cooling Required" case, right? I can't imagine there's a whole lot of air flow through there otherwise.

Shift-1.jpg

I have the mesh version and it's sitting in my closet empty because it's a hotbox, no matter what fans you put in the system in any orientation there's a hotspot near the top back of the case around the I/O that almost burns when touching it. If you use an AIO for the CPU the radiator has to go in the bottom chamber and GN already confirmed that having the radiator lower than the pump can dramatically increase temps and noise while decreasing the life of the AIO.

It's annoying because I still think it's one of the best looking ITX cases on the market but it's just badly designed.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't use a 3089 FE in any a ghost s1 or h1. Sandwich cases will have a hard time with that fan exhausting right into the plate sounds.

Yeah, it's looking more and more like the Ventus with its solid backplate is a safer bet for my case. I've got the FormD T1. It is a sandwich style case, but it's got really good airflow. Hopefully the Ventus is ok in it.

With a SF600 and a 3600, I think it may work. I do have a pre-order for the SF750 on Newegg.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Well, fuck. I've been tinkering around with this build for the better part of a month now and kind of gave up on the Small Form Factor thing as the video card I picked out (Sapphire Pulse 5600XT) is seemingly too big for the majority of M-ITX cases.

But uh, I just came across this Lian Li case and it's looks great. It's not as teeny-tiny as most "Small Form Factor" cases but it's definitely a little bit smaller than the Fractal Design Core 1100 I picked out prior and looks to have much better airflow to boot.

And that fuckin' handle, hah!

Not a fan of the side panel window but it looks like they sell a version of it with just a solid aluminum side instead.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($209.09 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Elite 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 510 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon RX 5600 XT 6 GB PULSE Video Card ($289.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Lian Li TU150 Mini ITX Desktop Case ($114.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($124.94 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: ARCTIC P12 PWM PST 56.3 CFM 120 mm Fans 5-Pack ($40.99 @ Amazon)
Keyboard: Logitech K400 Plus Wireless Mini Keyboard With Touchpad ($24.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1154.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-16 12:49 EDT-0400

Plus I'm thinking of pulling an old 1TB HDD out of my parents old Acer tower to cram in there. A little extra storage can't hurt.

It's only about $100 more expensive to boot. Crazy how my plans get absolutely turned on their head in the matter of about an hour.

gully state

Oct 27, 2017
Apologies for venting...Been trying to put together a PC build and I'm starting to get really frustrated with the process as I'm sitting here missing key components with my build. Took awhile to get a proper SFF PC and an ITX mobo (which had supply issues as well). And now today I get an email from Amazon telling my that my NR200P case ordered has been delayed with no fulfillment date on site (preordered July 30th). I understand COVID but it's sure annoying having to just sit on parts like this.

Mar 22, 2019
Thanks everyone for the advice... Like the look of the white NR200 actually.
Heres the build i'm thinking to put behind my TV in the lounge, using my existing 2080ti as I will likely upgrade to a 3080 for my "main" gaming PC in my office area...
This ITX would literally just be for gaming on my LG CX tv screen - biggest concern is the cpu and obviously the graphics card looks like it fits but its obviously a cooling beast...

Advice or thoughts?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks everyone for the advice... Like the look of the white NR200 actually.
Heres the build i'm thinking to put behind my TV in the lounge, using my existing 2080ti as I will likely upgrade to a 3080 for my "main" gaming PC in my office area...
This ITX would literally just be for gaming on my LG CX tv screen - biggest concern is the cpu and obviously the graphics card looks like it fits but its obviously a cooling beast...

Advice or thoughts?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65 SE-AM4 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB ROG Strix Gaming OC Video Card
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Corsair SF 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply

Looks good, but the NR200 might be tough to get a hold of. Some people who pre-ordered in July were supposed to get it this week, but it's been pushed to sometime in October. You might also want to check out the Cougar QBX or Silverstone Sugo 14.

Mar 22, 2019
Looks good, but the NR200 might be tough to get a hold of. Some people who pre-ordered in July were supposed to get it this week, but it's been pushed to sometime in October. You might also want to check out the Cougar QBX or Silverstone Sugo 14.

yeah its not out in australia till middle of october - thats ok i can wait as i wont be able to grab a 3080 in the first round of chaos preorders this week...i'd more rather put the 2080ti to use vs simply selling it.

or hell, keep it - but thanks!

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Picked up my NR200P and Corsair SF750 and made the move over today.

Super, super impressed with this case, I just tried laying cables certain ways and it all just kind of worked. Was expecting to be there for awhile just trying to find workable layouts and routing.

Going to print off some cable combs for the power cables (24pin atx and the 8pin cpu in particular) so I can tidy them up down the line. I plan to drop some fans in along the bottom depending on what AIB 3080 I end up getting.

Moving to this sort of setup really has reignited my enjoyment of PC hardware, will likely look throw in a custom loop down the line.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Picked up my NR200P and Corsair SF750 and made the move over today.

Super, super impressed with this case, I just tried laying cables certain ways and it all just kind of worked. Was expecting to be there for awhile just trying to find workable layouts and routing.

Going to print off some cable combs for the power cables (24pin atx and the 8pin cpu in particular) so I can tidy them up down the line. I plan to drop some fans in along the bottom depending on what AIB 3080 I end up getting.

Moving to this sort of setup really has reignited my enjoyment of PC hardware, will likely look throw in a custom loop down the line.

Congrats! I have the same AIO in my case; let me know the temps. Also, double check your PSU lot code. There was a recall on it earlier this year.

www.thefpsreview.com

Corsair Issues Recall for SF Series PSUs, Which May Fail from High Temperatures and Humidity

If you own one of Corsair's SF Series power supplies, you may want to think about getting it replaced. According to a post on the company's official forum, PSUs belonging to lot codes 194448xx to 201148xx (and with a manufacturing date between October 2019 and March 2020) could be susceptible to...