• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

modernist

Jan 13, 2018
w2cOaS2.jpg

Ghost S1 w/ large top hat extension
Ryzen 3600
Rog Strix x570-I board
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1tb
RTX 2080 Super
T-Force Dark Pro 16gb DDR4-3466
Corsair SF750

The cooler WAS supposed to be a Noctua L9I Chromax w/ the AM4 adapter (before the L9A chromax was announced the other day) but the damn screws stripped trying to take the feet off because of the thick black coating glueing everything together, so its just the stock AMD stealth cooler for now, which honestly has been fine.. I'll probably get around to getting an AIO at some point just because there's space for a 240mm radiator in the bottom. The plan was always to buy it and a fancier chip to justify the rest of the parts some time this year and use it for work as well as games.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Alright, priced out everything with tax and shipping and it looks like we're at $502.44. Passed that along to my mother and she gave me the go-ahead so I'll be ordering the parts probably first thing tomorrow morning.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Is this thread just for SFF builds/cases, or is general HTPC discussion okay as well?
My solution for HTPC is not SFF, but rather to keep the tower far away and use HDBaseT to send video and USB over Ethernet.

But I'm currently looking for a good wireless keyboard and mouse solution.
Logitech K400/K600 seem inexpensive and convenient, but even just for regular desktop usage I don't really like that style of touchpad.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Alright, priced out everything with tax and shipping and it looks like we're at $502.44. Passed that along to my mother and she gave me the go-ahead so I'll be ordering the parts probably first thing tomorrow morning.

Post pics of the finished result!

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Post pics of the finished result!

Will do, hopefully things go without issue.

Looked up their existing computer online and it looks like its utilizing a 3.5" HDD, so unfortunately I can't carry that over to the new build...not that it matters, since Windows 10's "File History" feature doesn't seem to operate with internal drives anyway. I'll probably pick them up a cheap external enclosure in a few months and set it up as a backup solution.

What software should I use to make sure the memory and cpu are running at the right speed? Or will that all be handled within the BIOS?

Last edited:

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas

This Lenovo that was posted earlier is cheaper and (and smaller) it looks like.

May want to look at this too.
I customized it to match your specs and it includes Windows for $370. Add a wireless mouse and keyboard for $15.

Having a warranty might be good for piece of mind.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

I customized it to match your specs and it includes Windows for $370. Add a wireless mouse and keyboard for $15.

Thanks for the heads up. I might look around to see what I can do for a Windows key and try to get closer to that price point.

robjoh

Oct 31, 2017
This is what I think I've settled on. If someone wants to suggest different components than I have here, I'm all ears. I was hoping to get out the door at $400 pre-tax, though I guess once you omit the cost of a Windows license, the speakers, and the KB&M I picked out I actually did.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($94.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 250 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($54.99 @ Amazon)
Case: In Win BP655.FH300TB3 Mini ITX Tower Case w/300 W Power Supply ($70.00 @ Amazon)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($99.99 @ B&H)
Keyboard: Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 Wireless Standard Keyboard With Optical Mouse ($22.99 @ Best Buy)
Speakers: Logitech Z200 0 nW 2.0 Channel Speakers ($24.99 @ Adorama)
Total: $542.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-23 15:59 EST-0500

EDIT, I had missed that you already had done the change to 3000G in a later post. Sorry.

Last edited:

Warukyure

Banned
Feb 23, 2019
So with my main rig pretty much getting no heavy use I decided to jump the gun and buy a preconfigured SFF from China, to use it with lower end games, Retroarch and Kodi. There's huge market there in that country for those.

It has a hexacore i7 9750h (which probably isn't very far away in performance from my 6700k 4,6Ghz lol) and a dedicated 1650 card and I really like the form factor. Take a look:

It comes with external power brick so I'm not too worried about thermals. Will post impressions.
Did you ever get this in? Just kinda wondering what the impressions on it were. I'm looking for something to replace this horrible AMD BRIX I got a few years back.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

Oh wow, I like the look of this mini ThinkCentre PC! It has Intel integrated graphics though. Is this any good for gaming? From what I understand, it's not. Curious to know if it'd be possible to do up to last gen gaming well (PS360 era PC games) and maybe Gamecube emulation via Dolphin.

PhantomFFR

Oct 25, 2017
Vienna, Austria, EU, Earth
Oh wow, I like the look of this mini ThinkCentre PC! It has Intel integrated graphics though. Is this any good for gaming? From what I understand, it's not. Curious to know if it'd be possible to do up to last gen gaming well (PS360 era PC games) and maybe Gamecube emulation via Dolphin.

The one in the link you quoted does not have Intel integrated graphics, it has AMD Vega graphics, which are fine for last gen games, especially with the higher end version integrated in the Ryzen 5 3400G. Also currently the upgrade prices in the configurator for RAM and a "Second" "Hard Drive" (which you would want to use for the 512GB SSD and remove the "Primary" HDD) are extremly low. Low enough to say that you should absolutely reconfigure both.

Rikalaus

Oct 30, 2017
But I'm currently looking for a good wireless keyboard and mouse solution.
Logitech K400/K600 seem inexpensive and convenient, but even just for regular desktop usage I don't really like that style of touchpad.

I have the K400 for my htpc , the trackpads a bit of a pain in the ass, doesnt always pickup your finger motion on it and likes to move the mouse pointer itself after you've just moved it

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
The one in the link you quoted does not have Intel integrated graphics, it has AMD Vega graphics, which are fine for last gen games, especially with the higher end version integrated in the Ryzen 5 3400G. Also currently the upgrade prices in the configurator for RAM and a "Second" "Hard Drive" (which you would want to use for the 512GB SSD and remove the "Primary" HDD) are extremly low. Low enough to say that you should absolutely reconfigure both.
Oh, thanks. I'm in the UK, so I was looking at the Lenovo UK site - they all seemed to have Intel integrated graphics :( I hope there are AMD and Ryzen versions here.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Will do, hopefully things go without issue.

Looked up their existing computer online and it looks like its utilizing a 3.5" HDD, so unfortunately I can't carry that over to the new build...not that it matters, since Windows 10's "File History" feature doesn't seem to operate with internal drives anyway. I'll probably pick them up a cheap external enclosure in a few months and set it up as a backup solution.

What software should I use to make sure the memory and cpu are running at the right speed? Or will that all be handled within the BIOS?

Are they going to continue using their old PC? If not, I wouldn't spend 100 dollars on a new Win 10 key. It's stupidly easy to upgrade an old Win license to Win 10 and it's still free to do this.

EDIT: Still waking up. If they already have Win 10, even easier. Just login to their old computer using a MS email. Once that computer is mapped to an MS email account, you can transfer it over to a completely different hardware system by logging in with that same account on the new computer.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Are they going to continue using their old PC? If not, I wouldn't spend 100 dollars on a new Win 10 key. It's stupidly easy to upgrade an old Win license to Win 10 and it's still free to do this.

EDIT: Still waking up. If they already have Win 10, even easier. Just login to their old computer using a MS email. Once that computer is mapped to an MS email account, you can transfer it over to a completely different hardware system by logging in with that same account on the new computer.

Everything I've read online says that Windows is tied to the hardware, especially prebuilt hardware.

1-D_FE

Oct 27, 2017
Everything I've read online says that Windows is tied to the hardware, especially prebuilt hardware.

I've done it before. Worst case scenario, you might need to do some automated verification, but it should work.

Windows 10 is tied to your hardware. Which is why, when you log in, you need to be logging in with a hotmail account (or one of the other MS email accounts). If you log into Windows with an email account, the license will get mapped to that email account. And then when you build the new one, just log in using that account you created with the old system.

Step 1: Create a hotmail account and log into Windows 10 on your old PC. Set email/account login as the default.
Step 2: When you build the new PC, don't enter a serial number when installing Windows 10.
Step 3: When you boot up for the first time and are asked to create login credentials, choose the account/hotmail option.
Step 4: It should be transferred over (although you'll probably need to do a verification step that is very lenient and will almost assuredly work for you.)

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I have the K400 for my htpc , the trackpads a bit of a pain in the ass, doesnt always pickup your finger motion on it and likes to move the mouse pointer itself after you've just moved it
Unfortunately that's what I was expecting from a plastic touchpad like that.
As much as I'd prefer not to buy Corsair due to the aesthetic, it looks like their lapboard is the only good wireless option for a keyboard & mouse setup.
That seems to be out of stock everywhere here too, and the K63 has limited availability, so I'm concerned they may have discontinued it.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Here's the build I completed last month, so far so good!

Case: Node 202
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i low profile cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z390M
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence LPX (low profile for small case)
Power supply: Corsair SFX 450W (I'm not planning to overclock so this should be more than enough)
Case fans: Corsair ML120
Hard drive: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 500GB SSD

Still waiting on buying a GPU, but I'm thinking of getting a 2060 since NVIDIA just lowered the price to $299. Would be good enough for VR and such, and I don't need full-blown 4k or the best raytracing support. What do folks here think?

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
Here's the build I completed last month, so far so good!

Case: Node 202
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600k
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i low profile cooler
Motherboard: ASRock Z390M
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence LPX (low profile for small case)
Power supply: Corsair SFX 450W (I'm not planning to overclock so this should be more than enough)
Case fans: Corsair ML120
Hard drive: Samsung 970 EVO NVMe 500GB SSD

Still waiting on buying a GPU, but I'm thinking of getting a 2060 since NVIDIA just lowered the price to $299. Would be good enough for VR and such, and I don't need full-blown 4k or the best raytracing support. What do folks here think?

So far only 1 2060 is $299 and it's been perpetually sold out.

Deleted member 52065

Jan 16, 2019
I put together a NCase M1 build a few years back and worked up a watercooling loop inside with two radiators. Ended up being a ton of work but was a fun build. I have a Titan Xp and a 6850k along with a cpu block with integrated pump that I cnc'd custom brackets for to work on the itx mini motherboard. Getting custom length cables was make or break ultimately.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
I jumped into the SFFPC fold last month, loved building it! It's an office rig that'll be doing the occasional light gaming on off-hours (heh), attached to a 34" 100hz ultrawide. Specs are:

Dan A4-SFX v6
Corsair SF600 PSU
Asus ROG Strix B450
Ryzen 5 3600
Noctua NH-L9a AM4 cooler
2x16gb 3200mhz Patriot Viper
WD Black 500GB NVME (along with 2 older SATA drives)
aaaand
Gigabyte 1660ti

Really got screwed by the recent price drops on the video cards. I was VERY confused by the state of the sub/circa 300 dollar video card market when I decided on the 1660ti, only to see it quickly change into what it is now. Might look into changing it sooner than later if I can find someone willing to pay close to what I did for it. Otherwise it's pulling its weight pretty decently.

Pics showing build (last component to come in was the case so I went ahead and made sure everything was working and updated):

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
I jumped into the SFFPC fold last month, loved building it! It's an office rig that'll be doing the occasional light gaming on off-hours (heh), attached to a 34" 100hz ultrawide. Specs are:

Dan A4-SFX v6
Corsair SF600 PSU
Asus ROG Strix B450
Ryzen 5 3600
Noctua NH-L9a AM4 cooler
aaaand
Gigabyte 1660ti

Really got screwed by the recent price drops on the video cards. I was VERY confused by the state of the sub/circa 300 dollar video card market when I decided on the 1660ti, only to see it quickly change into what it is now. Might look into changing it sooner than later if I can find someone willing to pay close to what I did for it. Otherwise it's pulling its weight pretty decently.

Pics in a sec.

Specs look fine to me good to see it's working well for you.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Specs look fine to me good to see it's working well for you.
Yeah it's working well enough, temps and noise are good, although I was surprised by how warm Ryzens run. I did the chipset update to make sure the voltages are in check and it made a difference, but even then, it's considerably warmer (by about 15-20C) than my 5.0ghz 9700K at home...although that one is in a huge airflow case with a nice beefy cooler on it :]

FinKL

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Dan A4-SFX v6
Corsair SF600 PSU
Asus ROG Strix B450
Ryzen 5 3600
Noctua NH-L9a AM4 cooler
aaaand
Gigabyte 1660ti

Pics showing build (last component to come in was the case so I went ahead and made sure everything was working and updated):

Looking nice and minimal! How is that Logitech KB btw, I have a K30 from them and love it, but not sure 3x cost for the KB is worth it

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Looking nice and minimal! How is that Logitech KB btw, I have a K30 from them and love it, but not sure 3x cost for the KB is worth it
Thanks! Feels amazing to type on, love the weighty feel, awesome battery life. Only gripe so far is I find my fingers struggle to find their placing if I'm not looking at it.

...could just be getting old, though.

Polioliolio

Nov 6, 2017
I'm overwhelmed. Is there a list of tried and tested popular builds? I just don't have the time these days to go down the hole :/

I'm interested in something no more than 12 inches long, usb 3 ports on front , can play modern games at 1080 on high mid settings at least.. Mostly want it to have all my favorite steam local multiplayer games right there at the tv. What controller works best wireless for steam?

Deleted member 50761

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 11, 2018
Can anyone recommend a case that is similar in shape/size to a console? Would have to fit under my TV like my PS4 does.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
I'm overwhelmed. Is there a list of tried and tested popular builds? I just don't have the time these days to go down the hole :/

I'm interested in something no more than 12 inches long, usb 3 ports on front , can play modern games at 1080 on high mid settings at least.. Mostly want it to have all my favorite steam local multiplayer games right there at the tv. What controller works best wireless for steam?
Can anyone recommend a case that is similar in shape/size to a console? Would have to fit under my TV like my PS4 does.
This Doc is super handy.

dallow_bg

Oct 28, 2017
texas
Yep, it's pretty expensive. When I played around with the custom build, I think I got it to around £1,500! Is this card good enough for Gamecube emulation?
I'm no expert on emulation but from just briefly looking online on specs needed it'd be more than enough. The CPU honestly seems more important and looks like all modern CPUs are good to go.

OP
OP
Bomblord

Bomblord

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jan 11, 2018
So I've gone a little nuts upgrading a Dell 7020 that I received.
pU0NGrM.png

Added a Cooler Master G100M (RGB is disabled), a GTX 1650, upped the RAM to 16GB, and swapped the hard drive for a Sandisk 512GB "Ultra" SSD. Total Price $247. I'm also looking to upgrade the CPU to an i7-4770S.

For Comparison this is the standard internal layout
7Y13U0S.png

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Not the smallest of form factors, but I wanted a more portable case after running with full towers for the last few years. So my latest build was done in a Corsair 280x. mATX case small enough for me to carry between rooms and on the road if need be while still being able to support very large video cards.

maximumzero

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Now the bossman wants a new PC, so I'm gonna build him a Ryzen 3 system. He apparently bought a touch screen all-in-on PC for the home and was trying to talk me into that. Yikes.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2933 Memory ($74.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Newegg)
Case: In Win Chopin HTPC Case w/150 W Power Supply ($97.48 @ Amazon)
Total: $442.44
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-28 14:06 EST-0500

The PC I built that he's using now from way back in 2010 is still ticking along just fine but I'll probably transfer all its parts into a new case (Unfortunately it's an ATX board so I can't get much smaller.) and replace the CPU fan along with throwing in an SSD.

Apologies for posting so many non-gaming SFF builds in a thread specifically about Gaming builds, btw.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

What do you guys think of this? For some light gaming and general PC usage?
Wow, just £200!
I saw someone on Reddit had bought one but not for gaming at all, I heard the AMD on board graphics are pretty good for older games. The build I'm looking at doing myself is north of £900 with a gtx 2060.
Are you referring to a build for one of these mini Lenovo Thinkcentres?

Poutine

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Posting my question from the PC building thread here also, just in case :)

Question for people with big heatsinks that move their case a lot, I'm currently building a mini-itx PC (Lian Li TU-150 case) and got a Noctua NH-D15 for my heatsink and I'm planning to move the PC sometimes between my living room and my computer room. Is there any danger that the motherboard will bend with time, even if I'm super careful?