• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The third concept looks much more likely to make it to market.
DwQv8yFUwAAk72Q.jpg

The cube on one of its edges just doesnt seem practical:
DwQqBRYU0AExbNo.jpg

DwQp7mcU0AATWIz.jpg

Crayon

Oct 26, 2017
It's called a box for a reason. Just make it a box. Get this energon cube bs out.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
I can't imagine this disrupting the market anymore than the steambox did. PS5 and Xbox Scarlet will be well established if this even makes it on shelves within 3 years.

Jun 7, 2018
Man, that takes up more space then it needs to. it's probably a Micro-ITX board with an intel and an nVidia card. To be honest it might be very capable and cost around $1,000.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
It gets worse

Edit: this is pretty hilarious

nUnDubg.png

This is silly now.
Are we sure this isnt a joke account.

Someone pulling an elaborate out of season April Fools prank on us.
Theres no way the this weird modem looking thing makes it to mark with a full front screen.

The Original concept isnt even logical at this point so im like 90% sure this is just jokes.

This twitter account seems like a parody:

Nekyrrev

Oct 28, 2017
Haha this is gold. Are we sure that it's not a huge joke or something ? It feels too ridiculous.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Why would anyone want email notifications on their game console?
I think the "why would anyone" applies to every single thing shown on that screen.

There's no need for the console to tell you what game you're playing, or what you're watching on Netflix. There's even less need for a console to have a touchscreen on it allowing you to change song. What do they expect, people to get up, walk over to their TV, start fumbling around with the touchscreen until they hear a song they like, and then sit back down? It's another one of those things that could only have been designed by someone who has barely used a console and whose experience with games machines has been almost exclusively playing on a device within arm's reach.

Black_Stride

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Man, that takes up more space then it needs to. it's probably a Micro-ITX board with an intel and an nVidia card. To be honest it might be very capable and cost around $1,000.
Apparently it's a closed OS

Seemingly all custom stuff.
But weve heard nothing of partners so we dont know if its Intel/Nvidia or all AMD.

The fact that all their "boxes" have different dimensions tells me they havent done anything yet.
Else they would atleast know the size of their motherboard and make the box accordingly, but the Cube looks small even for ITX, the Modem looks just weird, their pCars logobox looks like it could be mITX and the original concept just looks weird.

If those front fans are 100 - 120mm get the fuck outta here why does a console need to be that big.

Ada

Nov 28, 2017
Does this guy realise that the box isn't what makes the console nowadays. The services that run in the back ground cost billions to setup. He's going to over promise and under deliver again.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I think the "why would anyone" applies to every single thing shown on that screen.

There's no need for the console to tell you what game you're playing, or what you're watching on Netflix. There's even less need for a console to have a touchscreen on it allowing you to change song. What do they expect, people to get up, walk over to their TV, start fumbling around with the touchscreen until they hear a song they like, and then sit back down? It's another one of those things that could only have been designed by someone who has barely used a console and whose experience with games machines has been almost exclusively playing on a device within arm's reach.

I can see why a wall mount would be desirable for a home theater or something, but the rest of it looks like it's trying to be a gaming PC with a touch screen gimmick instead of a console.

Eoin

Oct 27, 2017
Does this guy realise that the box isn't what makes the console nowadays. The services that run in the back ground cost billions to setup. He's going to over promise and under deliver again.
I think this is actually the key misunderstanding right the way through the history of consoles. No matter how difficult making and shipping an electronic box might be, it's generally been a relatively easy part of the process of being a platform holder. It's always been much more difficult to provide a level of first party support that comes close to matching the key platform holders, to attract a level of third party support that means a system keeps getting new and worthwhile games, to market and publicise a system properly, and nowadays to maintain a huge back-end services infrastructure.

We've kept on seeing new entrants to the market with an "if you build it then they'll come" mentality when the reality is closer to "if you build it then you're down tens or hundreds of millions of dollars and your work has only just started".

Scotch

Oct 28, 2017
It's been a while since the Nuon/Phantom/etc. days.

I feel sorry for the folks working under this buffoon.

Last edited: