• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah this kills me. I know the game went through crazy development hell but they accidentally created one of the most compelling protagonist and world of last gen.

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
The same place as the follow up game to DX:MD. I am glad for fans of Square's Japanese output now that they are seemingly putting out some good games again, but the way that they have handled their western studios hasn't been ideal.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
United Front Games, the developers closed down a while back. Pretty much dead unless SE brings it back.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know the exact sales numbers but I've never seen or heard it mentioned amongst game enthusiasts outside of this forum. Definition of a hidden gem.

It's great, really great, but I can't imagine it was much of a big hit.

sfedai0

Oct 27, 2017
What luck. I snag Prey for $10 thanks to someone bringing that up earlier, now this is dirt cheap on PSN. These reminders of sleepers are awesome.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
actually kind of okay with it not getting a sequel. if feel if it did it'd try to be competitive with GTAV and other modern contemporaries with 'bigger is better' and kind of lose what made it work

still though a shame it never quite got its due, and i'd still like a follow up in some form or another

mingo

Oct 25, 2017
London
I loved this game, understanding Cantonese added to the experience. For me it was a much better game then any of the GTA games.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Yeah I enjoyed it way more than GTA too. I boot it up every Chinese New Year and get so nostalgic I go on a cantonese triad movie watching bent.

The radio stations were top of the game.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Godlike atmosphere, fun driving, great gameplay, and the holy triad of radio stations: Warp, Ninja Tune, and motherfucking Daptone.

Letting the sequel go is why I still haven't forgiven Square Enix and buy their RPGs only on Xbox rather than PlayStation because I suspect that irritates them more than not purchasing at all.

Shy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
NEVER FORGET!
AO3lxfA.png

zyfjpB8.jpg

The sequel will be bought by a new company and retitled as Bent Coppers. :D
LOL.
Yakuza and Judgment kinda fill that niche a bit no?
They're not even remotely the same thing.
Someone managed to buy a dev kit with Sleeping Dogs 2 game data on it and made it inaccessible. So that seemed to be our last chance since I doubt that SE will ever revisit the franchise.
Wut ?

jwk94

Oct 25, 2017
Sleeping Dogs barely existed. It was supposed to be another game but went through development hell and that's what we got. (It's great by the way). I doubt there will ever be one
Didn't the sequel get retooled into some multi-player game? Hell wasn't sleeping dogs the result of true crimes 3 being in development hell?

ket

Jul 27, 2018
They're not even remotely the same thing.

They sort of are. They're both East Asian crime dramas with a focus on melee combat and brutal takedowns. Both series have noble protags who aren't part of crime families but are often involved with them.

I'm not saying they're the same exact thing but if a Sleeping Dogs got made nowadays it would have a tougher time against Yakuza than it would've had back in 2011/12.

SPRidley

Oct 25, 2017
United Front Games closed because sqaure enix are asshats so I dont want another one if it doesnt come from them. Same as im not too keen of wanting another Bully game (as much big of a fan im of) if its not made by Rockstar Vancouver, that transformed into United Front Games, that are now closed. So you get the gist of it.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Sleeping Dogs is one of my favourite games ever, and one of my favourite open world, seriously, this is the good old clueless Square Enix that can't appreciate their western studios when they achieve great things.

I Loove going back to that game, they nailed the Hong Kong vibes so perfectly, even though they had to basically integrate Kowloon into HK island. So many memories especially those very first hours at the night market and the club with the karaoke.

Music are also very good, Softly Radio is my favourite station

The only flaw of this game in my opinion are guns, really half of the game you teach me kung fu techniques and the fighting mechanics are actually VERY good (i love the environmental kills), and how guns really aren't that useful so don't use them at all.

Such a good game.

That shitty apartment you get is the best shitty apartment in gaming ever.

Peed so many times in the dirty bathroom haha.

The two women chatting right outside your house are my everything: every morning you get an update on their stories, they're a great slice of chinese culture (i remember one of the two said she was going to marry her american boyfriend, and the other woman started to get mad at her because of that, thinking how shameful that was for the family, everyone will call her a slut because of that...)

Last edited:

bulletyen

Nov 12, 2017
There's no sequel coming, but there might be a movie starring Donnie Yen, one of the HK action legends who inspired the game.

but as you can see it was a while ago, I'm guessing its been canned like so many other video game adaptations.

Great game, but sales numbers are horrible
They were not horrible, it was a couple million but Square had unreasonable expectations at the time that it would do GTA numbers. They were stupid because cultivating a fanbase takes time (Yakuza) and if they kept the series going eventually it would have reached numbers they'd be satisfied with.

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
The developer who made the great game closed.

SE has no interest in going on making a new one.

We'll be lucky to even get a 2nd one in 20 years from now (lol).

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
After Sleeping Dogs the developers went on to work on a multiplayer focused game set within the Sleeping Dogs universe. However Square Enix cancelled it before it was released, this left the developers high and dry and in dire straights. They scrambled to make a new game and developed Smash + Grab which was also an mp focused game (it was quite fun imo), the developers seemed to have REALLY been counting on it to do better to keep the studio afloat but sadly it didn't, after one month of being in early access it was announced that the developer would be closing down and the game would be taken offline.

However there is a Sleeping Dogs movie being made, and it's starring none other then Donnie Yen (the actor that plays in Ip Man and played in Rogue One). So that's at least some silver lining.

Maybe with the release of the movie if it does well Square Enix will bring it back?

Square Enix was CRAZY for their sales expectations. They said that it was a failure in terms of sales (along with Tomb Raider and Hitman: Absolution in 2013).

The game sold 1.5 MILLION copies in a month, SE had to be crazy to expect even higher sales, especially since it was a new IP, hell most new IP's would be thankful to sell near that much.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
Still a big bummer that this never ended up getting a sequel. I loved the original, was a big sleeper hit for me.

Apr 8, 2018
Dead sadly :( I would've loved to see what they'd with a sequel and how it'd look made for current/next-gen hardware. Chances seem astronomically low, but if that Sleeping Dogs movie actually does well hopefully we'll get another game.

I'll also have to give that Waypoint article a read.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
They sort of are. They're both East Asian crime dramas with a focus on melee combat and brutal takedowns. Both series have noble protags who aren't part of crime families but are often involved with them.

I'm not saying they're the same exact thing but if a Sleeping Dogs got made nowadays it would have a tougher time against Yakuza than it would've had back in 2011/12.

I do think this is true, but largely due to marketing reasons. In terms of actual gameplay they really don't play very much alike.

ElMexiMerican

Oct 25, 2017
I will always be saddened that a proper sequel never came out for this game. This is hands down my favorite game, and by far my favorite open world game styled like GTA.

I still hold out hope that one day we'll see this game get revived in some way shape or form, whether it's a spiritual successor or a proper reboot. There's so many avenues that a new game could go down - the potential is just oozing.

grosvenor92

Dec 2, 2017
Unfortunately dead. I hope Sqaure Enix gives it to another studio to make a spiritual successor or sequel though

Vibranium

Oct 28, 2017
Dead and Square Enix really should loan the IP out to a new studio. It's a shame a lot of the ex UFG staff didn't band together to make a new studio.

Sinder

Banned
Jul 24, 2018
I never understood why people liked Sleeping Dogs. The fighting is kinda fun I guess but other than that GTAV and Yakuza rendered it obsolete IMO.

GonzoCR

Oct 28, 2017
I enjoyed Sleeping Dogs much more than any other GTA-like game I've played, including GTA itself. Still bummed we never got a sequel. I'd really love to see a spiritual successor or something like that.

wandering

flâneur
Oct 25, 2017

A lot of its appeal was in its atmosphere and cultural milieu, and Hong Kong isn't really interchangeable with Japan. Hong Kong crime has its own flair which the game tapped into successfully and that you can't quite replicate with Yakuza stories. It's like the difference between British underworld films and films about the American Mafia.

Last edited:

Butch

Oct 27, 2017
Sleeping Dogs 2 would have picked up after the original game, once again following the previously exploits of (formerly undercover) officer Wei Shen. This time, Shen would be joined by a "conflicted, corrupt partner" named Henry Fang, as they explored China's Pearl River Megacity, a noted economic hub—and, yes, a real place. The player would have the ability to arrest any NPC in the world, and influence a branching storyline that swapped between both Shen and Fang.

Omg this hurts so much

Oct 27, 2017
They made some shitty online game no one cared about instead.

Sleeping Dogs is incredibly overrated. It has some fun melee combat, but shit driving, and I don't even remember the shooting. The premise is great, but the game doesn't live up to it, and Hong Kong is a great setting but the map design is weak. I still would've been up for a proper sequel though.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
I never understood why people liked Sleeping Dogs. The fighting is kinda fun I guess but other than that GTAV and Yakuza rendered it obsolete IMO.

The setting. Hong Kong was absolutely fantastic and felt alive. Loved driving around listening to the local commercials.

Rei no Otaku

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cranston RI
Still my favorite open world game. I'll never forgive Square for ruining any chance for a sequel. Between this and that garbage Nosgoth multiplayer game they've made it their mission to break my heart every chance they can get.

LOLOMGWTFBBQ

Nov 7, 2017
This game was sooo good. I would stand next to the pork bun vendor so the guy can ask me why I don't have a pork bun in my hand while also listening to the NPC's walking by speaking Cantonese. The memories!

PS, Are there any other games where Cantonese plays a major role? The only other game I remember that focused on Cantonese was that Jet Li game, Rise to Honor lol