• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017

Personally , I cant recommend this game enough , one of my all time favorites last generation

Pros : Beautiful City and Atmosphere , Beautiful OST , Fun Melee and Brawling and environmental Gameplay , Simple but cool story , Good amount of sandbox activities ( not massive , but not little either )

Cons : For people liking more weighted and realistic driving then Driving is simple and little arcadey but acceptable , Shooting is the game's most weak point

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Is it worth upgrading if I own the original game on Steam?

Firaga

Oct 29, 2017
Holy shit what a deal. Love this game to death. I got distracted and never finished it but I think I should be close to the end.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I assume this deal wiill continue into the Steam sale that (AFAIK) starts tomorrow?

Zipzoom

May 27, 2019

Personally , I cant recommend this game enough , one of my all time favorites last generation

Pros : Beautiful City and Atmosphere , Beautiful OST , Fun Melee and Brawling and environmental Gameplay , Simple but cool story , Good amount of sandbox activities ( not massive , but not little either )

Cons : For people liking more weighted and realistic driving then Driving is simple and little arcadey but acceptable , Shooting is the game's most weak point

do we know how long the game will be on sale? Can't buy it right now.

stryke

Oct 28, 2017
I almost want to discourage people from buying it to save them from the disappointment that there will never be a sequel.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Are there mods to make the driving better? Remember really not liking the twitchiness.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
My only complaint with the game is the driving. I really like arcadey driving, but for some reason it felt way too loose for me in Sleeping Dogs.

But the game is still just really, really good. The fact that we're probably not going to get another one is very sad.

OP
OP
Ryuichi Naruhodo
Oct 25, 2017
Is it worth upgrading if I own the original game on Steam?

I heard it had little worse graphics and performance wise it runs worse ( didnt test or see myself , just going by what I read ) , but if u have only the base game without any DLCs , then the value difference is massive , All DLCs for base game is for $18 even after the discounts while the Definitive edition that I guess has all those DLCs is for $2 only

I would be grateful for a confirmation whether buying the Definitive edition will erase my base game or not ?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
This game is fantastic, I enjoyed it more than any GTA that's for sure.

That said tho, I loved it so much I 100% it back on PS3 and it's one of those games I never feel like replaying because it was so solid in my mind I kinda don't want to fuck with it so I'm going to pass even at this price.

I will offer this one piece of advice to new players, or returning players who might've missed it. At one point you do a mission where you have to suck at karaoke as a wingman for a guy. Instead of sucking, actually do good. One of the few times a game has really made me laugh.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Is there anyway to get this in Germany, maybe if someone gifts the game?

You'd be able to receive a gift copy (Edit: I'm a dumbo and forgot that Valve changed how the PurchaseRestrictedCountries flags work a couple of years ago), but as the game is runtime-restricted against Germany, you'd have to either work around said restriction or wait 90 days for it to expire.

Last edited:

KiLAM

Jan 25, 2018
Thanks for the heads up. I don't like 99% of open world games so i never played it before. But will give this a shot when I get some time. Been hearing good things about it for a while.

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
The game's presence on Steam is configured such that German IPs are forbidden from launching the game.

Oh wow talk about harsh overkill, and this only is in effect for 90 days?

I find the whole German ban of the game ridiculous to be honest. I have the original, non Definitive Edition on Steam Uncut because I bought it in Germany the night it released worldwide before it got pulled here and the environment-kills aren't as bad as some things you see in Martial Arts movies freely being on Netflix Germany.

Cecil

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Oh well, it's bought now. After a couple of years on the wish list.

Based on the demo, I'm thinking more of this like a modern Streets of Rage/Final Fight type of game, with what seems like a decent story, and some open world elements, more then a pure GTA clone.

Oct 28, 2017
Based on the demo, I'm thinking more of this like a modern Streets of Rage/Final Fight type of game, with what seems like a decent story, and some open world elements, more then a pure GTA clone.
That's a good way to think about it. I enjoyed it more than Yakuza 0 (which is see as an evolution of that genre). The open world is more a backdrop that adds to the atmosphere.

EatChildren

Wonder from Down Under
Oct 27, 2017
Better than every 3D GTA. Gold standard of cops-and-robbers modern city sandbox gaming. Original protagonist, cast, and setting. Assorted game systems in fighting, shooting, driving, and parkour that seamlessly link and integrate one another through freeform play and mission arcs. Gorgeous graphics. Great soundtrack. Fun story. Enjoy side content and DLC.

It's one of my favourite games ever.

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Finished the vanilla version and loved it. I was going to upgrade for the price but turns out I already have this version as well. Hopefully I'll get around to playing it again.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't the original edition considered to be the better version of the game?

Here's a comparison:

VodkaFX

May 31, 2018
Great game, don't miss out on this, that's a very good deal right there.

Shame there will never be a sequel for this :(

thebishop

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
I already played the original and it's a stunning game. Usually I peter out on open world stories halfway through, but Sleeping Dogs keeps giving you new game mechanics until really late in the game (jumping between cars in an open world car chase is SICK!), which kept me playing.

When it came out, it felt basically like a next-gen game on last-gen hardware. Compared to an early PS4 game like Watch Dogs, it easily holds its own technically.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
I remember buying this on a whim at launch without expecting to. Definitely one of my favorite games, and one of the few I've ever almost (one suitcase I endlessly couldn't find) 100%.

LordRuyn

Oct 29, 2017
Can I transfer my PC save from the original to this? I was already close to halfway through the game.

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Isn't the original edition considered to be the better version of the game?

Here's a comparison:

Only if you compare the original PC version to the definitive console versions. The definitive edition on PC is mostly just different than the original and has some additional graphical features (such as an added fog effect, ambient occlusion and improved draw distances, while removing/changing other things). Which one is "better" is thus a matter of preference. In general, the differences are pretty slight and either is good (if you have all the DLC for the original game, that is):

Skyfireblaze

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to JaseC the game is now in my library despite me living in Germany, huge shoutout to him for helping me out! :)

Bizzquik

Chicken Chaser
Nov 5, 2017
The original release was the game that got me back into PC gaming after many years away; PS4 and XB1 took too long to arrive and the gameplay was butter smooth at 60fps.
The Definitive Edition - with all the DLC - is a steal at this price. What a fun title to play during the traditionally dry release schedule of summer!

Feb 21, 2019
Drunkenly bought this over the weekend. IM really looking forward to giving this ago! (And I was just in Hong Kong, so this will be even cooler).