• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
My pillow is dead. It's no longer providing any support, so I need to get a new one. I figure that it's about time to spend the money on something good.

I'm a side sleeper and have been looking at both the Layla Kapok and the Purple Harmony.

Does anyone have pillow recommendations?

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I sleep on two mediocre pillows to form one good enough pillow.

I also need a new pillow but shopping for one sucks, I never find any pillow that's thick and firm enough, they're all like folded towels.

My doesn't need to feel like I'm laying on my mattress nor should it feel like my face is being swallowed by the pillow.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
just 1 thing to note about buying pillows on Amazon. You cannot return them as they are considered a beauty product. You may get lucky and get a full refund if you dislike the pillow via CS though

Oct 25, 2017
I've had the Purple Harmony for a few months and quite like it; the honeycomb pattern feels a little weird at first through thin pillowcases but it's ultimately been super comfortable and cool for me.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
The honeycomb on the Purple Harmony is amazing. As someone who's always slept on cheap, flat pillows, they're almost a bit too tall. But if you're not like me, you'll feel right at home.

OP
OP
piratepwnsninja

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I've had the Purple Harmony for a few months and quite like it; the honeycomb pattern feels a little weird at first through thin pillowcases but it's ultimately been super comfortable and cool for me.
The honeycomb on the Purple Harmony is amazing. As someone who's always slept on cheap, flat pillows, they're almost a bit too tall. But if you're not like me, you'll feel right at home.

What size do you have? The standard or the tall?

Oct 25, 2017
What size do you have? The standard or the tall?

I was given the standard as a gift; I've been keeping an eye out for a sale to grab the tall since I'd like a little extra height (I just stack it on an old flat pillow for now) but haven't had any issues with real discomfort or neck pain so haven't felt super rushed to grab the other version. And the standard at its normal height is pretty comfortable on the occasions I do want to lay on my back.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
1tmdcvin4m7y.jpg

Oct 29, 2017
I've had a MyPillow for a couple years and I love it. I fluff it up every night and it's awesome. I've tried a couple regular pillows since then, and it only reminds me how great the MP is.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
I am a side sleeper as well, and have all sorts of different pillows - including some crazy-expensive Tempur-Pedic ones - and the one I have stuck with the longest is a 100% mulberry silk-filled pillow. That sounds like a ridiculous luxury, but it cost less than many of the "high-end" memory foam pillows.
It's not the softest or the most plush; it's actually quite dense, but I get a great sleep with it.

Something to keep in mind is that memory foam is not all the same, is hard when it's cold, and softens up when it gets warm. It also retains heat.
I have a Snuggle-Pedic pillow and that's the warmest pillow I've ever used. It is comfortable, but I kept waking up in the middle of the night because of the heat build-up.
It took more than a week for the very strong chemical off-gassing to finish before I could even start using it, which is not something I've had happen with any other memory foam pillow. The fact that they sew it shut tells me that they don't have much confidence in their product despite claims of using clean/new foam.
It also needs to be run through the dryer frequently, as shredded foam starts to clump together since it absorbs moisture over time. I have not found that to be the case with pillows that use solid memory foam layers or memory foam noodles; only shredded foam.

I would recommend buying something that uses materials which naturally 'breathe'. Avoid synthetic materials or foam, since they trap heat and moisture. And if you are getting something with foam, I recommend that you avoid shredded foam. Oh, and never a down pillow.
That said, the second-best for me has still been a Tempur-Pedic. I have different heights and shapes and still pull them out occasionally if I'm having trouble sleeping or have specific neck/shoulder pain that benefits from the extra support.
The purple pillow certainly seems interesting though, since it uses latex foam but is ventilated and designed to keep your head away from direct contact with the foam layer, but seems very much like a love-it or hate-it design.