• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Nov 9, 2017
I guess overpaying for software is like a badge of honor for some folks. I understand not complaining about it, but why actively wish for Nintendo games to stay high in price?

Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I only buy exclusives for the Switch, and that includes digital games. If the game is on PS or Xbox, then i get it there instead.

The price is one reason

Lack of Trophies/achievements another

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
The recent announcement of Disgaea 6 got wanting to play 4 and 5 again. I own them on them on steam but there is nothing like losing hours playing them on a handheld. So i thought maybe the switch would have them cheap if not on sale. I look and 5 is 20 bucks not bad but it's a 4 year old game at this point. But then i look at 4 and holy shit 30 bucks and that is on sale....digitally. A nearly 3 year old game.

eozig2C.png

At this point I'm wondering if OP is feeling ok.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I've always found it funny how D4 Complete is more expensive than D5. I know the former is a more recent port, but still.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
How are used copies going for higher?
Plenty of physical copies of Switch games are out of print a year or so later and don't get a second run. Where I am, even stuff like Skyrim or Ultimate Alliance 3 can go for more second-hand now then they did at launch.

On the plus side I've got 3 or 4 Switch games that didn't click with me that I'll likely get back what I paid for them when I sell them on.

Jump_Button

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo game keep their Value long after its not a bad thing it just means ppl dont see the game they get as trash that need to be traded in for pennies

Sasaud

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah i bought hades a couple of months ago and before that i think hollow knight, Nintendo can't control the pricing of the 3rd party games but i can't remember the last Nintendo game i bought since i have a wii u and most of the games their porting to the switch.

I'm actually very disappointed with the way they price their games, i get it most of them are worth it but if u don't have a high income job then u can't be part of the Nintendo community.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Switch premium is probably a large reason I never really got into my switch. When I can have a superior experience, cheaper on another platform.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah i bought hades a couple of months ago and before that i think hollow knight, Nintendo can't control the pricing of the 3rd party games but i can't remember the last Nintendo game i bought since i have a wii u and most of the games their porting to the switch.

I'm actually very disappointed with the way they price their games, i get it most of them are worth it but if u don't have a high income job then u can't be part of the Nintendo community.
I am asking my friend to lend me his Switch games like I am back in elementary playing Nintendo. These days it's tough for me to fork over that 60 bucks. I can't justify it.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

That's not true if you resell your games. Since they hold value you don't lose a lot with each transaction.

Oct 25, 2017
Wow surely a misinformed attempt at complaining about Nintendo pricing strategy when the OP is talking about a literal third party game priced by a company that is not Nintendo will be rectified and the thread won't dissolve into yet another conversation of people complaining about first party titles.

No? Okay so we're rolling with this? Even though there was clear proof that other platforms were the same price when not on sale? Alright. Have a nice day.

Oct 28, 2017
Switch prices are embarrassing, I only buy for it strictly exclusive titles, and even so Nintendo charging full price for botw, super mario, etc after 4 years (or Mk8 and other wii u games) is disgusting and anticonsumer.

They have a lot to learn from Sony, Microsoft and PC.
I guess overpaying for software is like a badge of honor for some folks. I understand not complaining about it, but why actively wish for Nintendo games to stay high in price?

Fucking all of this. For a company who prides themselves on being a family company the fact that game prices don't go down in price is bullshit. Who cares what you paid for it you paid for the price of entry day one. Why do people care if the game is god forbid 30 bucks or less 2 years later so that more people can afford it and be able to play those games."Before you reply to me about corporations or making money I'm going to let you know I don't give a fuck about nintendo or any corporation making money or retaining perceived value for their products. So any nintendo or sony or microsoft fanboys don't reply to me with that bullshit.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
5 went on sale down to 20 multiple times since release, you're just late to the game

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Wow surely a misinformed attempt at complaining about Nintendo pricing strategy when the OP is talking about a literal third party game priced by a company that is not Nintendo will be rectified and the thread won't dissolve into yet another conversation of people complaining about first party titles.

No? Okay so we're rolling with this? Even though there was clear proof that other platforms were the same price when not on sale? Alright. Have a nice day.
By a Mod, no less....

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking all of this. For a company who prides themselves on being a family company the fact that game prices don't go down in price is bullshit. Who cares what you paid for it you paid for the price of entry day one. Why do people care if the game is god forbid 30 bucks or less 2 years later so that more people can afford it and be able to play those games."Before you reply to me about corporations or making money I'm going to let you know I don't give a fuck about nintendo or any corporation making money or retaining perceived value for their products. So any nintendo or sony or microsoft fanboys don't reply to me with that bullshit.
I am with you. I want to pay a FAIR price to own a four year old game in the year 2021. I don't want to run an ebay business to justify buying first party games and then recoup my money.

Jul 18, 2020
OP is misguided, but I feel that pain too. I also wanted to give the Disgaea series another shot, but not at that price for old ass games.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Some of the Disgaea games are on sale this week on the eShop, plus they're often on sale in store.

Oct 26, 2017
Switch prices are embarrassing, I only buy for it strictly exclusive titles, and even so Nintendo charging full price for botw, super mario, etc after 4 years (or Mk8 and other wii u games) is disgusting and anticonsumer.

They have a lot to learn from Sony, Microsoft and PC.

It's clear you have no idea what anti-consumer means.

Furthermore, they can set pricing however they want. They have their own business model. What's disgusting is you acting entitled and thinking that Nintendo should change their pricing model to Sony/MS/PC just because of your wishes.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
It's clear you have no idea what anti-consumer means.

Furthermore, they can set pricing however they want. They have their own business model. What's disgusting is you acting entitled and thinking that Nintendo should change their pricing model to Sony/MS/PC just because of your wishes.
No one is owed anything. It's not disgusting to wish pricing was better. Hell it's even ok to complain as long as you don't take it to ridiculous lengths.

Oct 25, 2017
Like if the thing you guys are gonna focus on when it comes to "Nintendo defenders" is "they clarified that Nintendo isn't in charge of the prices you're specifically complaining about." and turn that into "WE LOVE TO DEFEND NINTENDO'S JANK PRICING" well then ask Epic why the fuck all the kingdom hearts games are full price.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
I understand criticizing Nintendo for keeping high prices on their own games, but not only are they not responsible for third parties, but besides a couple notable exceptions, third parties on Switch usually have comparable sales to other platforms, especially other consoles.

Jmdajr

Oct 25, 2017
I understand criticizing Nintendo for keeping high prices on their own games, but not only are they not responsible for third parties, but besides a couple notable exceptions, third parties on Switch usually have comparable sales to other platforms, especially other consoles.
The situation with 3rd party is certainly not the same. It's still more expensive on average I believe.

VonGreckler

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
dekudeals.com
Will show lowest historical eshop prices.
Similar to steamdb price history

Hottest deals you can see there are good sales.
www.dekudeals.com

Hottest Deals | Deku Deals

Great deals on popular games - see the full list, sign up for sale alerts, and more with Deku Deals
Nintendo has problems with first party software pricing for sure but 3rd parties have good deals if th4ey want to Nintendo doesnt stop them

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
The situation with 3rd party is certainly not the same. It's still more expensive on average I believe.
I kinda want to see stats on this that aren't just people bringing out the Doom or Witcher 3 comparison, honestly. Because in my experience this hasn't really been the case, but maybe that's just the kind of third parties that I buy.