• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MinusTydus

The Fallen
Jul 28, 2018
Oh, awesome. Just bought on PS4. Latest patch causes the game to crash if you get slain by a boss AND it introduced a lovely save corruption bug. Reading how some lost 80+ hours of progression. Sweet.

Oct 25, 2017
Playing this on PC and I think it's really well made. It actually does feel a bit easy after getting used to each class though. I have so far beaten the first two classes and haven't played more than 1 quick run with the orb dude.

My two wins so far were complete dominations. I didn't take a single point of damage til the final boss on my last run. And my run with green (I think it was, I forget the colors but the first unlock) was pretty disgusting. I had start combat with 3 shivs, backstab, finisher, and a lot of relics to support it. I took a video of a fight or two... I was able to put out disgusting amounts of damage on my opening turn.

I love the feeling of becoming OP and feeling like I really put that together through my own choices.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Playing this on PC and I think it's really well made. It actually does feel a bit easy after getting used to each class though. I have so far beaten the first two classes and haven't played more than 1 quick run with the orb dude.

My two wins so far were complete dominations. I didn't take a single point of damage til the final boss on my last run. And my run with green (I think it was, I forget the colors but the first unlock) was pretty disgusting. I had start combat with 3 shivs, backstab, finisher, and a lot of relics to support it. I took a video of a fight or two... I was able to put out disgusting amounts of damage on my opening turn.

I love the feeling of becoming OP and feeling like I really put that together through my own choices.

It does feel good when you have an awesome deck that synergizes well. Now try Ascension Mode and see if you can replicate your successes there!

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know about ascension, but just beat first one on first try. My deck was a stupidly OP wombo combo deck. Being able to keep your hand from previous turn is sick. On last boss I had finisher hit for 16x11. If the stars had aligned it could have been 32x11.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I got to the Act 4 boss.

... How is it possible? Damn. I guess I'll give up on that dream and start trying to climb Ascension levels instead.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
What is ascension levels?
Once you beat the Act III boss with a character, you can toggle ascension level (starting at 1 up to 20) at the character select screen. It makes your run slightly harder each time by tweaking a small element. They're small changes, but they stack each level and slowly become something brutal.

I'm stuck at ascending 17-18 with every character.... i have been playing pass 150 hours....
This dude gets it lol

Noaloha

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe I'm misremembering since it's been so long, but I have it in my head that Acsensions are only unlocked once you beat the Act 3 boss at least once on all three characters.

Cipherr

Oct 26, 2017
I put over 100 hours into this when early access was going. It blew up on twitch way back and I got swept away with it. I havent checked it in many months as I feel like I got my fill of it.

But holy shit is it ever a good game.

OP
OP
TeamLeftMatch

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
What is ascension levels?

When you beat the act 3 boss you unlock ascension where it's the game's hard mode where you start at level 1 and with each winning run unlocks the next level which adds in more difficulty modifies all the way to level 20. First few levels you won't really feel that big of a change but it then starts to add up.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe I'm misremembering since it's been so long, but I have it in my head that Acsensions are only unlocked once you beat the Act 3 boss at least once on all three characters.

Doing that unlocks the ability to gather the 3 keys needed to access Act IV. Once you beat Ascension 0 (normal mode) with a character, you unlock Ascension 1.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
When you beat the act 3 boss you unlock ascension where it's the game's hard mode where you start at level 1 and with each winning run unlocks the next level which adds in more difficulty modifies all the way to level 20. First few levels you won't really feel that big of a change but it then starts to add up.

Modifiers include:
Increased number of elites on each floor
Start the run damaged
Heal less at the beginning of a new act
Start with a curse in your deck
Enemies have new movesets
Bosses have new movesets
Double boss in Act III
And so on

A20 is all the modifiers turned on. I still haven't cleared it, though I came close once.

Noaloha

Oct 27, 2017
To the above two replies, thanks. Has it always been that way, or was that implemented when the Heart was finally added? Not doubting or anything, just wondering why I have that recollection. I could swear when I started that I didn't have Ascension available immediately after my first win and that I had to continue going at it with the other two before it appeared. I'm old and this was many many many months ago, so I'd not be surprised if I just have mushy memories, ha.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
To the above two replies, thanks. Has it always been that way, or was that implemented when the Heart was finally added? Not doubting or anything, just wondering why I have that recollection. I could swear when I started that I didn't have Ascension available immediately after my first win and that I had to continue going at it with the other two before it appeared. I'm old and this was many many many months ago, so I'd not be surprised if I just have mushy memories, ha.

I have a hazy memory too, but I think before the Heart content was added, it was the way you said it. It's been months so I may be wrong.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Wait WHAT

Slay the Spire 1.1 patch out, fourth playable character announced

Yo holy shit this rules

Looks like more ports are coming, after XB1 that must mean... mobile!?

Forth character, wow!

The whole game is themed on the red, blue, green trilogy. I wonder how they'll extend it?

Also: Ironclad = attacks, The Silent = skills, The Defect = powers ... so maybe the forth character doesn't focus on a particular card type?

I am The Stoked for this.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Who was asking for a hold to end turn option so you don't accidentally pass? You got your wish in the latest patch. Lots of good stuff in there.

Forth character, wow!

The whole game is themed on the red, blue, green trilogy. I wonder how they'll extend it?

Also: Ironclad = attacks, The Silent = skills, The Defect = powers ... so maybe the forth character doesn't focus on a particular card type?

I am The Stoked for this.
They could have neutral options, they could dual class, they'll almost certainly introduce a new character mechanic. Lots of good options in there.

AlanOC91

Owner of YGOPRODeck.com
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
How's the switch version? Thinking of buying a new game while I wait for Bloodstained to get patched.

Oct 25, 2017
I am doing the 3rd character atm, just killed the third act boss in 2 turns because of that awakened mechanic making them untargetable for one turn after you activate it. I made a recording of that fight. I will upload it.

edit:
Was a 3 turn kill... maybe 4 because I forget if there was turn 1 before I started recording.

Not seen in the video is when I played that 0 energy cost seek card that fishes 2 specific cards from your draw pile. I picked the double energy card twice because I have the artifact that draws me a card when I empty my hand. 20 energy + that artifact and no unplayable cards in my draw pile.... I played over 40 cards in a single turn and didn't run out of energy and only stopped because I had nothing to target with an attack card.

Last edited:

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I am doing the 3rd character atm, just killed the third act boss in 2 turns because of that awakened mechanic making them untargetable for one turn after you activate it. I made a recording of that fight. I will upload it.

edit:
Was a 3 turn kill... maybe 4 because I forget if there was turn 1 before I started recording.

Not seen in the video is when I played that 0 energy cost seek card that fishes 2 specific cards from your draw pile. I picked the double energy card twice because I have the artifact that draws me a card when I empty my hand. 20 energy + that artifact and no unplayable cards in my draw pile.... I played over 40 cards in a single turn and didn't run out of energy and only stopped because I had nothing to target with an attack card.

Were you using a calculator to do math on your attacks and blocks? That's actually a good strat. The difference between a win and a loss could depend on if you had played one more attack or block on that last turn.

Oct 25, 2017
Were you using a calculator to do math on your attacks and blocks? That's actually a good strat. The difference between a win and a loss could depend on if you had played one more attack or block on that last turn.

Yeah, sometimes at least. Not all that often but sometimes there is a choice between using the heavy attack now or saving it for later and the two choices have very different total damages that aren't obvious. If you get that artifact that lets you see your draw deck's order you can really min-max too.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force

edit:

That's not even a highly optimized version of the build. Remove the strikes and blocks and you'll churn through the deck faster and spend less energy. You can just go straight up Infinite at a point.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Got my highest score yesterday on a Silent, Ascension I, Act IV run: 1437 points!

16 card deck, only one attack: Neutralize. Damage came from Noxious Fumes / Corpse Explosion / Catalyst and Caltrops.

I went into the heart fight with 2 dex pots and a thorns pot. It wasn't even a close fight, I tanked absolutely everything.

AtmaPhoenix

Oct 25, 2017
The Internet
So this game has been my addiction on Switch the last week or two. I've beaten all three acts with all three characters, but have yet to finish Act IV (although I got to the final boss once so far).

Really excited to hear about a fourth character - I wasn't expecting it since the game seems so tightly released around the ideas of the three current characters. More of this game is welcome!

One thing I've got to realize with my deck building is to stop picking up cards after every battle. I'm always in the mindset that any card is a good card, even if it doesnt synergize with my deck. Gotta stop that line of thinking.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
So this game has been my addiction on Switch the last week or two. I've beaten all three acts with all three characters, but have yet to finish Act IV (although I got to the final boss once so far).

Really excited to hear about a fourth character - I wasn't expecting it since the game seems so tightly released around the ideas of the three current characters. More of this game is welcome!

One thing I've got to realize with my deck building is to stop picking up cards after every battle. I'm always in the mindset that any card is a good card, even if it doesnt synergize with my deck. Gotta stop that line of thinking.

Yup, not picking a card is sometimes the best option.

GustyGardner

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, not picking a card is sometimes the best option.

Its important to realise that not picking any (or very few) extra cards is also not the best way to go. I've ended a few runs in act 1 this past week just because I was approaching the boss with the vanilla deck, minus a couple strikes/defends and with only 1 oe 2 unique cards and it just wasn't going to cut it. I'm still very much learning how best to approach progression in this game for maximum success rates but I love how much stratey goes into every facet of any particular run.

Oct 25, 2017
The heart boss is really poorly designed and sticks out as a sore thumb. Everything else, including the elite fight right before it, is generally great. But it's like they had the goal to make the most annoying, deck countering encounter they could possibly think up and went with it. It's not exactly ruining my experience with the game, but it's a bit of a bummer to end a really fun run on a low note.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
The heart boss is really poorly designed and sticks out as a sore thumb. Everything else, including the elite fight right before it, is generally great. But it's like they had the goal to make the most annoying, deck countering encounter they could possibly think up and went with it. It's not exactly ruining my experience with the game, but it's a bit of a bummer to end a really fun run on a low note.

Why do you think it's poorly designed?

It's difficult, but it's certainly not insurmountable. Honestly, I find that the Time Eater has a much more annoying mechanic.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome that they're adding a 4th character. :) I'm only on Ascension 1 with Ironclad, but decided to try a custom run at Ascension 20. Make it to the first boss, and quickly got destroyed. But that sometimes happens to me on standard runs, so... LOL

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you think it's poorly designed?

It's difficult, but it's certainly not insurmountable. Honestly, I find that the Time Eater has a much more annoying mechanic.

A number of reasons but among those are that it's always the same and the modifiers it gets are not at all interesting after the first time you encounter it. If your deck plays a lot of cards, it gets punished. Draws a lot, gets punished. Does big burst combos, gets punished. Everything I like about the game basically lol.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
That moment when you put 2500+ poison on the last boss.
...And it's only taking 300 a turn lol.

The more risk you take the stronger you get, but also the earlier you can get killed.
On the contrary when I play safe I rarely finish the whole run.

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I get what you're saying, and agree that it's not designed as a "fair" boss, but I also see it as more of an optional thing for you to twist really broken decks on. Like a run is still considered completed if you beat Act III but lose to the Heart.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
A number of reasons but among those are that it's always the same...
All enemies are always the same.

The entire game is a sequence of preparations for 3 elites on each act and a boss -- and you know who they're gonna be before each act starts. Even the normal enemies on each act are known quantities beforehand. And behavior of all of them is predictable.

If your deck plays a lot of cards, it gets punished. Draws a lot, gets punished. Does big burst combos, gets punished.
You can circumvent all of those.

The Heart is ultimately is just yet another goal for preparing.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
A number of reasons but among those are that it's always the same and the modifiers it gets are not at all interesting after the first time you encounter it. If your deck plays a lot of cards, it gets punished. Draws a lot, gets punished. Does big burst combos, gets punished. Everything I like about the game basically lol.
I got a few good decks destroyed by the heart but they lacked enogh synergies.
It's really important to actively look for some key artifacts. Going through a lot of shops while keeping money as high as possible, get through the biggest number of Elites possible, try a lot of ? ...

Sometimes luck screws you a bit but you can still win regularly if you take risks and push through some nice ideas.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Anyone recommend a rough deck for someone trying to destroy the heart?
With any character ?

Ironclad : block + body slam (feel no pain, juggernault, corruption, burning pact, power through, havoc, warcry, severed soul are very nice synergie for exhaust card deck, I'm doing it right while typing). And if you ever get barricade... lol. Sometimes I get it from a relic at the beginning of battle, cost 0 and it's, fun. Just got it for the elite before the heart.
LOL, barricade popped at the of the battle. Gonna destroy the heart.

Silent : poison + intangible. I'm not the best with silent, I'm still getting killed a lot.
Body explosion is a must for everything up to the heart beside one or 2 boss.
One thing I always do with silent is exchange my starting relic cause it stinks and you always get better.
But I can see it be helpful at the end for a first burst turn... your choice.

Defect : power cards, everything you can that works well for you (lightning orbs summoning cards, the one evoking all your orbs and giving energy + draw is amazing, coupled with energy raising cards).

Edited+.

Last edited:

sQr

Jun 28, 2019
I never heard that game before - shame on me. Usually I hate the rouge-like concept, but i love card games. Is it worth a try?
Looks like my only choice is the PS4 version. Not ideal [ my iPad Pro cries in the corner ], but the controls seems ok.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
I never heard that game before - shame on me. Usually I hate the rouge-like concept, but i love card games. Is it worth a try?
Looks like my only choice is the PS4 version. Not ideal [ my iPad Pro cries in the corner ], but the controls seems ok.
Get it now lol.
I have 100h + on it on the switch and they planned to add free contents. SO worth the price.
There's always new type of synergies to try even after you thought you've seen everything.

Fordy

Oct 27, 2017
It's also on PC and part of PC Gamepass

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
They've said they're planning more ports. If he shocked if mobile wasn't on the cards, it's all that's left after XB1. Game plays well with Touch too.