• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Even though I dont really have a plan or know what I'm doing I really like this game. One Youtube video showed more than 3 turns in their hand, how do you increase that?

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
I've come to the conclusion that I suck playing as the silent. I love running poising builds but when I try to deviate like running a shiv deck I just fall short of beating the act 3 boss or die on the 3rd act before even reaching them. There's clearly something I'm not seeing when playing as her.
Probably scaling as shivs decks are the most reliant on relics while poison is a scaling source in itself provided you can dish it out at a constant and consistent level. Kunai and Shuriken are super important for shiv decks. Thousand cuts and Envenom can be good picks as well but can't do much without some type of relic being able to give a boost. Snecko Skull with Envenom in a shiv deck can do wonders for example but Envenom alone in a shiv deck will start to feel anemic when you get to floor 3 elites.

Typically you don't want to go for themed decks when you start climbing the ascension ladder and instead focus on making sure you deck has the fundamentals down first. A good relic combo can cry out for a themed deck but you don't want to make that your focus in the early game unless you are sure your deck can support it.

AcridMeat

Oct 26, 2017
Even though I dont really have a plan or know what I'm doing I really like this game. One Youtube video showed more than 3 turns in their hand, how do you increase that?
Depending on the class, there are cards that will boost your amount of mana/energy/etc. for a turn. Either that specific turn, or the next turn. There are also relics that will boost this.

The defect also has a card to spawn plasma in an orb slot (adding 1 energy per turn).

Or maybe I misinterpreted what you meant altogether.

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depending on the class, there are cards that will boost your amount of mana/energy/etc. for a turn. Either that specific turn, or the next turn. There are also relics that will boost this.

The defect also has a card to spawn plasma in an orb slot (adding 1 energy per turn).

Or maybe I misinterpreted what you meant altogether.

Thanks.

In the OP you can see in the bottom left 3/3. I was watching a tutorial video and the person playing had 5 turns so I didn't know if that was just in the beta or not.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Thanks.

In the OP you can see in the bottom left 3/3. I was watching a tutorial video and the person playing had 5 turns so I didn't know if that was just in the beta or not.

There are cards that can grant extra energy once you play them. For example The Defect's Charge Battery card grant you block on that turn and 1 energy on your next turn. There are also some relics that give you 1 energy but at a cost (not being able to pick up potions or gold, for example).

khamakazee

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There are cards that can grant extra energy once you play them. For example The Defect's Charge Battery card grant you block on that turn and 1 energy on your next turn. There are also some relics that give you 1 energy but at a cost (not being able to pick up potions or gold, for example).

I see, thanks. The game has a lot of depth to it.

JulesLove

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's a pretty slow defensive build with huge burst damage (unlike Ironclad with its raw attack power or Silent with its draw ability and status effects). You also have to choose what element you wanna focus on really early on. I've cleared it with Lightning many times (aim for Electrodynamics for AoE clear and then keep cycling through Lightning orbs with that passive) but Ice cards are most popular methinks.
Jeah I finally beat it on default diffuclty after 20 hours or so. Build a straight Electrical deck and got rid of every attack card or Attack+orb card. Just made it by the hair

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Hundreds of hours into the game i finally notice how Dark orb ACTUALLY works.

Before that i used to assume that Dark evokes damage randomly like a lightning orb, but it's not random at all.

Oh boy, this is game-changer.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really close to buying this game but Megacrit say a release date for switch is just around the corner. I don't when around the corner is but a date could literally be today.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I now have at least one win with every class, and I beat my first daily.

Long story short: I love this game and it's getting most of my play time.

What's the next step? Try an act IV playthrough or start playing ascended runs?

entock

Jan 13, 2018
I now have at least one win with every class, and I beat my first daily.

Long story short: I love this game and it's getting most of my play time.

What's the next step? Try an act IV playthrough or start playing ascended runs?

either works. act 4 is easier on lower ascensions. so I would work my way up the ascension level and if they start getting too tough you can lower it a bit and try an act 4 run

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Is anyone playing this with a controller on Mac? I cannot get my PS3 or Switch Pro to work. Both of them just kinda go haywire. Like only three of the buttons work, they bring up menus, and I can't use the directional pad or the analog stick. Like: nothing really works.

I'm thinking about going out and purchasing a PS4 controller anyway for other games, but in general I'm wondering if any controller works for anyone.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I made it to the end boss of Act IV.

I felt like my Ironclad deck was really good at that point. 11 cards, Dual wield, Double Tap, Whirlwind and Chemical X. 5 energy a turn, lots of good relics, 124 hp. I was erasing every boss up until that point.

I didn't stand a chance against the heart. I don't really know what kind of deck would stand a chance against it. Second turn it gives you like five status cards, then it deals 36 and then 60 damage on turns three and four. It has 750 hp and you can only deal it 300 in a turn.

I'm a little demoralized at this point.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
I'm a little demoralized at this point.
Act 4 boss is definitely very special and requires somewhat unique strategies that you can't apply as successfully to other enemies/bosses which forces you to take cards and relics that are kinda dead weight.

Analyze it's attacks and take specific things that counter them. For example it has an attack that does 2x15 -- as in 2 dmg 15 times. If you apply weak (from a card or a potion) and have thorns on -- that will do 0 dmg to you while hitting the boss back significantly.

In general that boss mandates taking cards like Disarm, Piercing Wail and several copies of them too -- you need to keep weakening/removing it's strength consistently to beat it.

Or just luck into OP EZ GG decks like Barricade+Entrench+Body Slam or Escape Plan+After Image like i did with Ironclad and Silent respectively.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Act 4 boss is definitely very special and requires somewhat unique strategies that you can't apply as successfully to other enemies/bosses which forces you to take cards and relics that are kinda dead weight.

Analyze it's attacks and take specific things that counter them. For example it has an attack that does 2x15 -- as in 2 dmg 15 times. If you apply weak (from a card or a potion) and have thorns on -- that will do 0 dmg to you while hitting the boss back significantly.

In general that boss mandates taking cards like Disarm, Piercing Wail and several copies of them too -- you need to keep weakening/removing it's strength consistently to beat it.

Or just luck into OP EZ GG decks like Barricade+Entrench+Body Slam or Escape Plan+After Image like i did with Ironclad and Silent respectively.

Thanks, that sounds like some good advice.

It's gonna be a trick to pivot from a deck that can beat acts I-III to something that will beat act IV.

Nov 25, 2017
After 50ish attempts I finally beat Ascension 18 last night. I'm amazed by streamers with high win rates in A20. For me it's more like waiting for the perfect deck to make it past stage 2 in high Ascension levels.
Curiously I'm improving my French with this game, as the guy I like to watch most on Twitch happens to be a Frenchman by the name of Krayn.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Man Ironclad is my least favorite guy. His deck is so boring compared to the other two.

Is this universally agreed upon, or am I alone in this? I like the third guy, with the orbs, his gameplay and deck building is really fun and different each time.

Nov 25, 2017
So, after 201 hours I'm finally part of the 1.7% who have beaten Ascension 20 - with Ironclad in my case. The key to finally succeeding for me was to not try and beat every elite as I would do on lower ascension levels - maybe up to 17. Instead it is much better to only fight one or two elites in the second act and focus on upgrading and question marks instead.

Man Ironclad is my least favorite guy. His deck is so boring compared to the other two.

Is this universally agreed upon, or am I alone in this? I like the third guy, with the orbs, his gameplay and deck building is really fun and different each time.
I agree that the third guy is the most fun, but my least favorite one is the poison dude. Ironclad has the big advantage that you heal each turn and can therefore take more risks. There are in essence two obvious straight-forward strategies with Ironclad: building up a ton of strength or using a barricade deck. If those are too boring for you, check some streams for inspiration for more exotic builds. Or just stick to the characters you like most, nothing wrong with that.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
So, after 201 hours I'm finally part of the 1.7% who have beaten Ascension 20 - with Ironclad in my case. The key to finally succeeding for me was to not try and beat every elite as I would do on lower ascension levels - maybe up to 17. Instead it is much better to only fight one or two elites in the second act and focus on upgrading and question marks instead.

I agree that the third guy is the most fun, but my least favorite one is the poison dude. Ironclad has the big advantage that you heal each turn and can therefore take more risks. There are in essence two obvious straight-forward strategies with Ironclad: building up a ton of strength or using a barricade deck. If those are too boring for you, check some streams for inspiration for more exotic builds. Or just stick to the characters you like most, nothing wrong with that.
Woah that's nuts. I can't even finish Ironclad right now on level... 1? Damn, I do need to watch some streams. What am I missing? lol

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
It's probably because Ironclad is less dependent on relics, hence hunting for more of them makes less sense with him. How many are there real run-transformative relics for Ironclad? The reaction to getting a relic is a shrug most of the time.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I just won an ascension 1 (yep, low) run with an Ironclad with a 20 card deck with only two blocking skills: Panic Button and one basic block.

By the end of the run I had two disarms to reduce incoming damage. I had Inflame, Limit Break and a Shuriken relic for STR gain, which turned out to be more than enough. I also had two Offerings to get the deck rolling. Everything else in the deck was an attack card.

It's the first time I've run with a deck that had no focus on block.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
The theme of Ironclad as a character is the one who doesn't do block but instead tanks damage and deal even more explosive damage. His starting deck has less blocks, most of his cards are attacks, and there are cards that reward on you having no block cards and some of his cards have a theme of self-harming and immolation, like aforementioned Offering which is pretty much a win condition because of how incredibly flexible it is.

At some point of time one has to stop resisting the general theme of Ironclad, get the hint and embrace it. Go for Bludgeons and other similar high damage cards more often, start considering actually removing/diminishing blocks (gasp!).

If you look at speedrunning -- these guys don't block period:

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017

I agree with you. I find Defect and Silent way more fun. Orb shenanigans and poison for everyone is great.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I just won an ascension 1 (yep, low) run with an Ironclad with a 20 card deck with only two blocking skills: Panic Button and one basic block.

By the end of the run I had two disarms to reduce incoming damage. I had Inflame, Limit Break and a Shuriken relic for STR gain, which turned out to be more than enough. I also had two Offerings to get the deck rolling. Everything else in the deck was an attack card.

man, I've got to try that!

Nov 25, 2017
Just won my second A20, this time with Defect. I have a much easier time with him than with Ironclad, provided I get that self-healing card. This last run was really funny though. I chose the random boss relic, which transformed all my strikes and defends, leaving me with an absolutely bizarre deck. But it did contain some golden cards like Fission and Seek, so after a few tough initial battles I ended up with an overpowered deck.

Only one more A20 run left to go, and then I can hopefully put this aside for a bit (until an iPad version appears, at which point I'll probably play for another 200h).

Truly a masterpiece of game design.

OP
OP
TeamLeftMatch

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
Just won my second A20, this time with Defect. I have a much easier time with him than with Ironclad, provided I get that self-healing card. This last run was really funny though. I chose the random boss relic, which transformed all my strikes and defends, leaving me with an absolutely bizarre deck. But it did contain some golden cards like Fission and Seek, so after a few tough initial battles I ended up with an overpowered deck.

Only one more A20 run left to go, and then I can hopefully put this aside for a bit (until an iPad version appears, at which point I'll probably play for another 200h).

Truly a masterpiece of game design.

But then you have to do A20 heart runs now ;). I'm still struggling with Ascension but I just make poor plays constantly so that's on me.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
MegaCrit posted this tweet yesterday:

If the tweet didn't load properly:
Our publisher has informed us that console date announcements need to be pushed to March. Sorry to everyone that wanted to hear a date. >.> The good news is that it won't be long between announcement and launch!

So, a possible late March or April/May release?

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
I managed to beat the Act IV boss with The Silent!

Bouncing flask + catalyst was my win condition. I had enough cards that gave weak effects to tank his attacks with blocks, and I just held on until the poison killed it.

Not a coincidence, I also unlocked the "catalyst" cheevo during that run.

xeroborn55

Oct 27, 2017
I cant stop playing this game lol. Its sooo satisfying to build a good deck and win a run.

Double dip on switch is a given at this point.

Hoping the dev's have another character or deck in the works for a future expansion.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I finally beat A12 with the Ironclad. He's been my worst character by far, and I'm at higher Ascensions with the other two. I got lucky and picked up a Dead Branch in Act 2, then a few floors later I got Corruption. I got the "teleport to final boss" event on my first ? in Act 3, so I just took it and beat up Time Eater. Even with Time Eater's gimmick, he stood no chance against my broken Dead Branch deck. It drew me a Barricade, so I had 100s of Block left over after each round.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Defect fucking sucks. Seems like the only way to win is stacking powers and if the powers encountered are mediocre then you're fucked.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just beat A17 with the Defect. Took maybe a total of <30 damage on the third floor, and only 4-5 damage on Donut and Deca. Getting 2 Glaciers in your deck is EZ mode. Buffer+ and that fossil relic that's basically a Buffer was icing on the cake.

OwOtacon

Alt Account
Banned
Dec 18, 2018
How do you do well with The Defect? I always end up short on shields and DPS and just get annihilated in the third part by a basic enemy.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
How do you do well with The Defect? I always end up short on shields and DPS and just get annihilated in the third part by a basic enemy.
Well for one picking max HP as starting blessing helps with that a bit -- because setup for Defect is so long you often can't block all the incoming hits.
Picking the right route (don't go for elites in top half of Act 3 if you know you can't handle Reptomancer), having a lot of frost orbs also help you to minimize damage.

Nov 25, 2017
Beat the game with the Silent on A20 last night, took me much longer than beating A20 with the other characters.

I thought I would be free of the game now, but now I'm seriously considering going for the missing achievements or doing A20 heart runs.

Nov 25, 2017
Just got the last achievement, the first time I "platinumed" a game ever, in over 30 years of playing games. Maybe now I'll finally be able to put this game away. One the other hand, there is still one relic I'm missing...

I also know that I'll do everything over again should this ever come to iPad.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Just got the last achievement, the first time I "platinumed" a game ever, in over 30 years of playing games. Maybe now I'll finally be able to put this game away. One the other hand, there is still one relic I'm missing...

I also know that I'll do everything over again should this ever come to iPad.

Congrats! I'm still trying to beat A20 with the Defect. PS4 version come out 5/21, you can try to get the Platinum trophy for the game😀

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017

Coming to PS4 on the May 21st. Switch version is still coming but no official date (I believe Nintendo or MegaCrit themselves want to announce it separately in a direct or something). The Switch version should be real close too, just my gut feeling.

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Got my first Act IV win with the Defect. Sort of a random deck: 26 cards, my only attacks were three copies of Go for the Eyes, I had a random assortment of powers and orb generation cards. I won by the absolute skin of my teeth ... 5 hp left.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Got my first Act IV win with the Defect. Sort of a random deck: 26 cards, my only attacks were three copies of Go for the Eyes, I had a random assortment of powers and orb generation cards. I won by the absolute skin of my teeth ... 5 hp left.

Nice! I almost beat A20 with the Defect. I beat the first boss (Donut & Deca), but didn't have enough HP against the second boss. Plus, I was running a power deck and the second boss ended up being the Awakened One. One day...

OP
OP
TeamLeftMatch

TeamLeftMatch

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is more crushing when you're fighting the time lord with a combo deck. I swear the game has to know since it always happens.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Finally beat A14 with Ironclad. I got lucky and picked up both Corruption and Dead Branch, which is pretty much an auto-win condition. Got the Infinity achievement again the Giant Head elite, and Time Lord's gimmick couldn't stop me.

Felt really good to get a win, especially since I've been banging my head trying to beat A20 with the Defect and failing. I've now cleared A14 with Ironclad, A16 with Silent, and A19 with Defect. 320+ hours of playtime and I'm still not bored of the game. I need the Switch version to be released so I can play in bed!

cakely

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Beat Act IV with the Ironclad last night with what felt like a perfect deck / relic combo. RNG just lined up perfectly with that run ... I think I could have beaten a much, much higher ascension level with those cards. My last two drafts were Evolve+ and Clothesline+ which were absolutely perfect for the heart.

FYI: There is an achievement "The End?" for beating Act IV with every class.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I grabbed this last week off the PS Store and I think it's criminal how little this game is discussed.

It's so damn good. Somehow it manages to capture that "just one more try" feeling despite the fact that runs can last for more than an hour each.

azeke

Oct 30, 2017
Astana, Kazakhstan
Slay The Spire is the thinking man's game.

Just like with smart TV shows -- games like these have a hard time staying within attention cone of larger populace.