• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I like when he tried to reinvent himself as some kind of hippy country boy

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
i like how whats quoted in the OP is all damage that affected Britney and Janet Jackson but didnt affect Timberlake. While completely ignoring the media's role in it.
Like Janet Jackson get her nipple shown on live tv across the world. I guarantee you American media was the only ones freaking out about it.

When is someone going to do an expose on how terrible the media is to these women instead of just saying Timberlake got away with something.

I haven't seen them but I would imagine the documentaries on those women castigate the media? And Twitter and other social media sites have definitely taken journalists and traditional media outlets to task over the handling of these situations.

Which is partly why this article's writer is taking another angle with Justin Timberlake.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
Out of all the american scandals I have read about over the years, the one I really cannot get is the janet jackson nipple thing.

Was the outrage that people thought she did it on purpose, and there was millions watching?

Or was the outrage the classic " think of the children" thing, like a nipple on tv would subvert them somehow?

Was she apologetic about it afterwards, or did she fight the public on it? I swear I cannot see what the huge deal was about, if the outrage was really all about a wardrobe malfunction that she apologized for after. I think I get how justin was an asshole afterwards, since he was the one that created the malfunction but didnt come to try to defend janet at all, right? if thats true, he is a monumental asshole.

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
He just needs to stick to acting and once he gets a hit he'll be back.

His last album and SB performance ended his music career.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
Out of all the american scandals I have read about over the years, the one I really cannot get is the janet jackson nipple thing.

Was the outrage that people thought she did it on purpose, and there was millions watching?

Or was the outrage the classic " think of the children" thing, like a nipple on tv would subvert them somehow?

Was she apologetic about it afterwards, or did she fight the public on it? I swear I cannot see what the huge deal was about, if the outrage was really all about a wardrobe malfunction that she apologized for after. I think I get how justin was an asshole afterwards, since he was the one that created the malfunction but didnt come to try to defend janet at all, right? if thats true, he is a monumental asshole.

post 9/11 and under Bush Jr America got super religious, conservative and puritanical in ways that were incredibly archaic and backwards and that, in many ways, we are still feeling the effects of today.

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
What was the true story behind the nipple incident? Was it just a mistake or did he do it deliberately?
It was all pre-planned and part of the show. People get upset that Janet Jackson took all the blame and got hurt from it where basically went through it without a scratch.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Got anything worthwhile to add?
did you need me to add something for you specific and worthwhile as I learn more about this situation? Or did you just feel compelled to give me a hard time? Simple reactions to new details okay or no?

It was conservative media being conservative, making mountains out of mole hills. Everything is a crisis, especially when women show or do too much of..well...anything.

SilentSoldier

Oct 27, 2017
I have a feeling that if Justin Timberlake had released good music, people would not take sexual harassment so seriously.

I mean, this is all coming out after Man of the he Woods failed to light the world on fire after his 20/20 albums. I didn't follow pop culture all that much while he was dating Britney Spears, but that whole time seemed more manufactured than anything.

Deleted member 49482

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2018
The article implies that Justin is being canceled in some way, but he's still recording and acting same as ever. It's good that we're finally acknowledging his role in the two incidents at hand, but this isn't some grave cultural reckoning as portrayed.
It doesn't even seem like he's "soft canceled," from what I tell, in that there doesn't appear to some general public outrage against him. Maybe in some pockets of the internet people are calling him out on his past actions, but from what can gather, most people are apathetic about Timberlake and see his past transgressions as some combination of, at worst, sleazy celebrity PR layered with misogyny (both on Timberlake's part and from the media, and with an overall dash of societal misogyny surrounding his "scandals").

Even his apology to Britney and Janet felt crafted by his PR team and milquetoast, as if he/they felt obligated to issue it, rather than coming from a place of (genuine or contrived) remorse due to a full-blown controversy.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019
So reading through this thread it's clear many of you are not aware of the discourse around Spears' and Jackson's treatment. The media is reacting to the criticism they received over their treatment of these women.

Britney fans and larger sections of social media have been criticizing media figures like Diane Sawyer and Perez Hilton for years, and the documentaries and the fact the Britney was even freed would not have happened if it wasn't for people speaking out against media narratives.

TheOMan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
When is someone going to do an expose on how terrible the media is to these women instead of just saying Timberlake got away with something.

Media: We've investigated ourselves and found no evidence of any wrongdoing. In fact, captive, we do have some interesting news we just made up about you. *insinuates strongly*

Nothing Loud

Literally Cinderella
Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop giving a shit about celebrities and their morals and if they are good person or not.

Most of them are not and you shouldn't get in the trap of idolizing anyone because pretty much none of them are worth it.

Also fuck these pieces that go after people on the way down. Its the same media that pumps them up. They are just selling something too.

Agreed. Like, focus on your own lives, not obsessing over strangers. Unless you really want to, but realize you're being sold an unhealthy product by publicists and journalists.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
Irony is there was a backlash when he threw Janet under the bus among certain circles because he actively courted r&b crossover and effectively shitted on one of the modern architects ; i remember being in a 'cool' futuresoul party where Timberlake came on and the crowd shifted.

His country shit made it a wrap.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
Oh shit. Come back to a flood of notifications about this thread. Did I say something really dumb or really good?

Or was the outrage the classic " think of the children" thing, like a nipple on tv would subvert them somehow
it was definitely this. Like oh my God my kids saw a nipple!!

bitch, your kids have 2 each. It was headline news for days if not weeks.

The fcc fined CBS 550k, which was later thrown out.

I want to say the whole 8 second delay for live TV was created in response. But a quick Google search turned up not many results on when that was actually created.

Jul 26, 2021
Fuck Justin Timberlake, I'd be happy to see some mud get slung at him but the media outlets readily took his side and were more than happy to provide a platform & protect him (and people like him) for decades. I hadn't realized he released albums recently because I've heard nothing about them so lol at that. Go away forever JT.

Browser

Apr 13, 2019
post 9/11 and under Bush Jr America got super religious, conservative and puritanical in ways that were incredibly archaic and backwards and that, in many ways, we are still feeling the effects of today.

did you need me to add something for you specific and worthwhile as I learn more about this situation? Or did you just feel compelled to give me a hard time? Simple reactions to new details okay or no?

It was conservative media being conservative, making mountains out of mole hills. Everything is a crisis, especially when women show or do too much of..well...anything.

Oh shit. Come back to a flood of notifications about this thread. Did I say something really dumb or really good?

it was definitely this. Like oh my God my kids saw a nipple!!

bitch, your kids have 2 each. It was headline news for days if not weeks.

The fcc fined CBS 550k, which was later thrown out.

I want to say the whole 8 second delay for live TV was created in response. But a quick Google search turned up not many results on when that was actually created.

So was there people defending her at the time, like celebrities, or anyone?

Did she make any type of statement at the time?

ThatMeanScene

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
i like how whats quoted in the OP is all damage that affected Britney and Janet Jackson but didnt affect Timberlake. While completely ignoring the media's role in it.
Like Janet Jackson get her nipple shown on live tv across the world. I guarantee you American media was the only ones freaking out about it.

Well said.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
Don't care about Justin, but the media needs a massive reckoning for how they treated women in the late 90s and 2000s.

Monica, Winona, Janet, Britney, the list goes on and on. They would get absolutely destroyed. And then you had assholes like Jay Leno hopping right along with it.

Cass_Se

Oct 25, 2017
The media's involvement in that period in general is already getting some attention in recent months as well.

www.vox.com

The bubblegum misogyny of 2000s pop culture

How we destroyed girls 20 years ago — and why we’re just starting to second-guess it.

The article goes into its involvement as well.

It's crazy that south park was so ahead of the curve on this, they did an episode on the treatment of young female celebrities by the media nearly fifteen years ago - in early 2008. Yet it took the media until 2021 to realize that mentally destroying female performers might not exactly be nice

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017

Spot on, now they can just focus on JT. If they didn't play a huge role in it, then it wouldn't really have been the huge thing it was.

petitmelon

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I've always hated the guy, so I'm glad there's some sort of backlash for his BS lack of defense for Janet. He was the one who created the malfunction and he didn't defend her? Asshole. Plus the way he acted about his relationship with Spears? It's too little too late. The media needed to do all this back then too, not let him coast off the controversy like he wasn't a part of it. They'll forget all this happened if he ever becomes popular again. Fuck em both.

BraXzy

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Damn until I read this thread title I'd almost entirely forgotten about him as a celebrity... I should watch that Britney documentary.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Agreed. Like, focus on your own lives, not obsessing over strangers. Unless you really want to, but realize you're being sold an unhealthy product by publicists and journalists.
There is so much irony in posting this on a videogame message board. The same can be said about watching sports, playing videogames, watching TV, and social media. Let people enjoy their own thing. For example, Pop stan wars is to gay men, what football is to straights.

Zippedpinhead

Oct 25, 2017
Media turned on Justin because his last album wasn't as good so it didn't sell as well.

since they weren't making huge dollars on him, all those stories they rolled over about are finally getting told.

Media doesn't just have a double standard about morals, sex, gender, but also success. And if you aren't successful anymore they don't care.

Possum Armada

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Greenville, SC
People need to stop giving a shit about celebrities and their morals and if they are good person or not.

Most of them are not and you shouldn't get in the trap of idolizing anyone because pretty much none of them are worth it.

Also fuck these pieces that go after people on the way down. Its the same media that pumps them up. They are just selling something too.

This is a criminally underrated post.

Hrodulf

Oct 25, 2017

All of this.

This is definitely a part of it, too. Now that Britney finally gained her freedom the doesn't want to acknowledge that they gave her father the keys to abuse her for over a decade, all because of their rampant sexism and refusal to treat what was obviously a serious mental health episode with a shred of sensitivity.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
That same year, when cultural conversation was dominated by the #MeToo movement, Justin Timberlake wore a Time's Up pin to the 2018 Golden Globes, despite working with Allen. He shared a selfie wearing the pin, smiling with his wife, Jessica Biel, and then captioned it—really—"DAMN, my wife is hot! #TIMESUP."​

Y I K E S

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Instead the media gets to come out 20 years later like "hey doesn't justin Timberlake suck?"

This is about selling magazines or getting clicks.

If he is hot then you kiss his ass and publish the puff pieces because people want to know more about him. When he is on the way down now you can bring out the dirt, because the idea is the same, to sell ads.

But it gives people something to talk about and for a lot of people reading that Timberlake or some other celebrity is a piece of shit makes them feel better about themselves.
I don't think it's fair to extrapolate writer Maria Sherman and Slate as being just "the media" unless if someone can provide evidence that Maria Sherman or Slate are being hypocrites about this and perpetuated the sexist narrative.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
When Justin admitted to having sex with Britney, it was a significant blow to Spears' brand;
This says a lot more about the US than either of them TBH.
Can confirm that Spain was collectively laughing its ass off at the disproportionate freak out and prudishness brought to the surface.
Instead the media gets to come out 20 years later like "hey doesn't justin Timberlake suck?"
suspect-guilty.gif

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017

word

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I don't think it's fair to extrapolate writer Maria Sherman and Slate as being just "the media" unless if someone can provide evidence that Maria Sherman or Slate are being hypocrites about this and perpetuated the sexist narrative.
The problem is the utter lack of introspection on the systemic issues with media that regularly prop up guys like Timberlake and let them get away completely unscathed, while women are thrown under the bus whenever they're perceived to be any less than perfectly virginal. Conveniently pinning all of this exclusively on some guy that's no longer relevant in any sense seems to miss the forest for a single tree, and it's hard not to think the author being part of that forest may be skewing the narrative.
I have reason to believe that user is not sincere. 🤷‍♀️
The user also has "reason" to believe you were threatening them when you, a mod, told them their contribution was not worthwhile, and pressed them for something that was. Calling their reaction "flipping out" without taking that into context does not come across as very fair.

I'm not in their head and don't know if their "oh wow" was genuine surprise at the facts, or mock and disbelief of the post itself, but nothing good is going to come from this passive-aggressive game of assuming the worst of them while demanding they assume the best of you.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The problem is the utter lack of introspection on the systemic issues with media that regularly prop up guys like Timberlake and let them get away completely unscathed, while women are thrown under the bus whenever they're perceived to be any less than perfectly virginal. Conveniently pinning all of this exclusively on some guy that's no longer relevant in any sense seems to miss the forest for a single tree, and it's hard not to think the author being part of that forest may be skewing the narrative.
I don't agree with the lack of introspection here when the media is mentioned in the article as to blame for sexist focus and shaming. I get the feeling people are not reading the article which is quite critical of media's role in all of this and just prejudging all media to be the same.

It's a searing reminder of the part he played in the performance, its fallout, and the media's continued scrutiny of female artists whose sexuality was inextricable from their image.​
During that era, the relationship between celebrities, paparazzi, and tabloid media was also particularly symbiotic and toxic. The supermarket magazine industry—not yet fully pummeled by the internet (TMZ, Just Jared, and PerezHilton.com didn't appear until the mid-2000s)—was brutally competitive. Magazines like Us Weekly and People and Star were obsessed with obtaining exclusives, which required constant negotiation with celebrities and their publicists. And stars, in turn, were also dependent on tabloids to shape their own narratives.​
Celebrity media tended to side with "Team Justin," with headlines like "solo in every way, the sexy singer sets the record straight." (There might be no better representation of the twisted cultural mores of the time than a 2002 Details cover line: "Can we ever forgive Justin Timberlake for all that sissy music? Hey … at least he got into Britney's pants.") Meanwhile, Britney headlines trumpeted: "Did she betray him?", "Britney cracks up!", and "Boozing Britney out of control." As a result, her own interviews became damage control: No, she doesn't do drugs. She likes red wine but never drinks in excess. She's still the same girl we always knew her to be.​
These are violent, protective gestures that would've made memorable front-page news if it were Britney doing the attack—and of course, they did—like when she struck Ramos' truck with an umbrella.​
"There are a lot of celebrities"—"like Paris, or Lindsay, or Britney," Ramos said—"I call it 'teasing.' One minute they want it, the next minute they don't. And so, with Justin, it wasn't like that at all. Justin was like, 'Get that shit away from me.' " It was inherently gendered—Britney, Paris, and Lindsay were unable to change their minds about paparazzi; Justin was respected for his indignation. And that says nothing about the pressure they must've felt, as young women, to play nice with the camera men who knew where they lived and followed them daily.​

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
I don't agree with the lack of introspection here when the media is mentioned in the article as to blame for sexist focus and shaming. I get the feeling people are not reading the article which is quite critical of media's role in all of this and just prejudging all media to be the same.

It's a searing reminder of the part he played in the performance, its fallout, and the media's continued scrutiny of female artists whose sexuality was inextricable from their image.​
During that era, the relationship between celebrities, paparazzi, and tabloid media was also particularly symbiotic and toxic. The supermarket magazine industry—not yet fully pummeled by the internet (TMZ, Just Jared, and PerezHilton.com didn't appear until the mid-2000s)—was brutally competitive. Magazines like Us Weekly and People and Star were obsessed with obtaining exclusives, which required constant negotiation with celebrities and their publicists. And stars, in turn, were also dependent on tabloids to shape their own narratives.​
Celebrity media tended to side with "Team Justin," with headlines like "solo in every way, the sexy singer sets the record straight." (There might be no better representation of the twisted cultural mores of the time than a 2002 Details cover line: "Can we ever forgive Justin Timberlake for all that sissy music? Hey … at least he got into Britney's pants.") Meanwhile, Britney headlines trumpeted: "Did she betray him?", "Britney cracks up!", and "Boozing Britney out of control." As a result, her own interviews became damage control: No, she doesn't do drugs. She likes red wine but never drinks in excess. She's still the same girl we always knew her to be.​
These are violent, protective gestures that would've made memorable front-page news if it were Britney doing the attack—and of course, they did—like when she struck Ramos' truck with an umbrella.​
"There are a lot of celebrities"—"like Paris, or Lindsay, or Britney," Ramos said—"I call it 'teasing.' One minute they want it, the next minute they don't. And so, with Justin, it wasn't like that at all. Justin was like, 'Get that shit away from me.' " It was inherently gendered—Britney, Paris, and Lindsay were unable to change their minds about paparazzi; Justin was respected for his indignation. And that says nothing about the pressure they must've felt, as young women, to play nice with the camera men who knew where they lived and followed them daily.​
The constant use of the past tense and "during that era" paints it as the behaviour of a less civilized, long-forgotten time that media has happily moved on since. Spoiler alert: it hasn't.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
But I don't think Maria is saying media is better now.
If you put emphasis in "media was so bad back then", the immediate implication is that things are better now; otherwise you would just say "media is so bad" without qualifiers. The best case you can make is "the article criticises how media was back then, but doesn't explicitly state its position on current media either way", which is pretty much what I'm saying.

Anyway, I don't think this specific point of this specific article is worth that much back and forth. Let's agree to disagree.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
The constant use of the past tense and "during that era" paints it as the behaviour of a less civilized, long-forgotten time that media has happily moved on since. Spoiler alert: it hasn't.

If you put emphasis in "media was so bad back then", the immediate implication is that things are better now; otherwise you would just say "media is so bad" without qualifiers. The best case you can make is "the article criticises how media was back then, but doesn't explicitly state its position on current media either way", which is pretty much what I'm saying.

Anyway, I don't think this specific point of this specific article is worth that much back and forth. Let's agree to disagree.
Why is every news outlet just treated under the same blanket term, 'The Media'? Especially ones that didn't even exist at the time of these incidents. The media is only as good as the audience it is serving. Why were full grown adults so concerned about high school level drama and teenagers sex lives, that they went out and bought magazines that sold this trash?