• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
This year has not been kind to Justin Timberlake. Documentaries in the falls of Britney Spears and Janet Jackson has revealed his significant roles in their downfalls. Slate has recently released an article about how he came to fame as well as how his methods that worked in his favor 20 years ago aren't as authentic today:

slate.com

How Justin Timberlake Came Undone

First there was *NSYNC. Then Britney. Then Janet. Through it all, he remained an untouchable golden boy—until finally his image fell apart.

Publicly, 2002 Timberlake was the sensitive ex–boy bander, a heartbroken heartthrob too genteel to speak ill of his ex but savvy enough to burn her in his songs (without naming her, of course). Simultaneously, there were rumors that he privately said things like "Dude, smell my fingers" to choreographers to brag about having sex with America's impossible sweetheart: objectified and infantile, the bang-able vestal virgin next door. When Justin admitted to having sex with Britney, it was a significant blow to Spears' brand; at the time, she had told the press she wanted to try to remain celibate until marriage. But only recently has Timberlake's reputation been affected by the way he acted and spoke back then, due in no small part to the popularity of the New York Times film Framing Britney

The conversation is likely to continue: The Times is releasing a new documentary on Friday, this time focused on Timberlake's infamous Super Bowl incident with Janet Jackson. It's a searing reminder of the part he played in the performance, its fallout, and the media's continued scrutiny of female artists whose sexuality was inextricable from their image. Twenty years later, in a drastically changed cultural landscape, 2000s-era Justin Timberlake looks a lot different.

Between Britney and Janet, Justin once skated through controversies that had grievous PR effects on the women around him. Fortified by his undeniable musical talent—and make no mistake, he is one of the greatest performers of recent history—Timberlake's boy-next-door identity endured for decades, even in the face of evidence that contradicted it. The new reckoning around him feels like a cultural exorcism, a chance to use the boy band vessel to purge ourselves of the evils he now represents to many. But behind the scenes, he was at once a canny self-marketer and a blank, withholding presence at the hub of conflict, surrounded by publicists and media and managers who were crafting his image, too. Timberlake has become the perfect emblem of a bygone era that rewarded guys exactly like him—until it didn't

Bus-TEE

Banned
Nov 20, 2017
To this day I still have trouble believing that Justin and Britney were actually in a 'relationship' and it wasn't all some PR work by their management teams.

RetroRunner

Dec 6, 2020
Fuck Justin Timberlake, jackass will perform with a hologram of Prince but not his old bandmates?

Oct 30, 2017
I always wondered how he was unscathed from some of the controversy around Britney Spears and Janet Jackson. I chalked it up as being an A list music performer who had a breakout movie career.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop giving a shit about celebrities and their morals and if they are good person or not.

Most of them are not and you shouldn't get in the trap of idolizing anyone because pretty much none of them are worth it.

Also fuck these pieces that go after people on the way down. Its the same media that pumps them up. They are just selling something too.

captive

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
i like how whats quoted in the OP is all damage that affected Britney and Janet Jackson but didnt affect Timberlake. While completely ignoring the media's role in it.
Like Janet Jackson get her nipple shown on live tv across the world. I guarantee you American media was the only ones freaking out about it.

When is someone going to do an expose on how terrible the media is to these women instead of just saying Timberlake got away with something.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
i like how whats quoted in the OP is all damage that affected Britney and Janet Jackson but didnt affect Timberlake. While completely ignoring the media's role in it.
Like Janet Jackson get her nipple shown on live tv across the world. I guarantee you American media was the only ones freaking out about it.

When is someone going to do an expose on how terrible the media is to these women instead of just saying Timberlake got away with something.

^ This

May 14, 2021
Couldn't give a shit about him writing lyrics about his exes. That's the norm. Some of that other stuff though, fuck him.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI

All of this.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
What was the true story behind the nipple incident? Was it just a mistake or did he do it deliberately?

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
He's certainly not as successful as his peak, but few people are after 20 years. I'm just not sure how many of these incidents are related to where he is now tbh?

Serule

Oct 25, 2017

The Janet Jackson documentary absolutely goes into this, at length. She was ripped apart by everybody.

Edit: also - it is very much worth exploring why the media came down super hard on Janet and nobody got mad about Justin. Also issie worth considering is why he let her twist in the wind.

Last edited:

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I agree with everything that people say is shitty of him except for the revenge song-writing. Every artist does that. That's Taylor Swift's entire career lol.

Carnby

Oct 25, 2017

That's a fair point. In the 2000s, the public reveled in Brittany's and Janet Jackson's misery, and the media provided the content.

SilkySm00th

Oct 31, 2017

This was the type of reply i was trying to think of right here.

Seems weird to blame him about the media cutting down Spears because she had a sex life and janet cause you saw her nipple? That's just shitty christian american sexist media being shitty and sexist over and over and over again.
"did you know the media was crazy shitty to the women who did the same stuff this man did??!!"
Like yes. Yes i did know that.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
JT was a jackass during the Janet "wardrobe malfunction" controversy. Like, everyone shamed Janet but with JT everyone was like "lol boys will be boys". Fuck outta here. Massive failing on the society's part and the sleazy, disgusting entertainment news in particular.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017

Instead the media gets to come out 20 years later like "hey doesn't justin Timberlake suck?"

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always wondered how he was unscathed from some of the controversy around Britney Spears and Janet Jackson. I chalked it up as being an A list music performer who had a breakout movie career.
Double-standards in the media and society at large. Justin Timberlake may well have been (and continue to be) a piece of crap, but watching the press turn on him while glossing over their own culpability in tearing down Britney and Janet is some real shit.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Yeah, isn't the upset with the Janet incident that he was involved in it happening but just laid low and let Janet fend for herself? That's shitty of him but at the same time I have a feeling the medias reaction towards Janet wouldn't have been any different

bushmonkey

Oct 29, 2017

Well said. I couldn't have put it better myself.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Funny how this article comes out when his music doesn't hit anymore. Total coincidence I'm sure.

It's also just a dishonest and hyperbolic concept. He didn't come "undone." He put out a bad album. He was barely in anyone's thoughts when these documentaries were releasing.

I believe he's now back in the studio with Timbaland as he was for FutureSex and 20/20. An article like this would make much more sense if that album that releases post-Britney/Janet documentaries is also a bust.

Oct 27, 2017
It cemented his identity as a deep-feeling solo artist. His sound recalled a white neo-soul Usher, indebted heavily to the Neptunes and Timbaland's production, and his ethos was sexy, single, suit and tie–toting bachelor. He claims he wrote "Cry Me a River" in two hours. The messaging worked: Celebrity media tended to side with "Team Justin," with headlines like "solo in every way, the sexy singer sets the record straight." (There might be no better representation of the twisted cultural mores of the time than a 2002 Details cover line: "Can we ever forgive Justin Timberlake for all that sissy music? Hey … at least he got into Britney's pants.") Meanwhile, Britney headlines trumpeted: "Did she betray him?", "Britney cracks up!", and "Boozing Britney out of control." As a result, her own interviews became damage control: No, she doesn't do drugs. She likes red wine but never drinks in excess. She's still the same girl we always knew her to be.

The fuck? How is that cover even real?

MonoStable

Oct 27, 2017
Lol undone? If he ever gets desperate all he needs to do is announce a reunion tour and he's set. Seriously I got dragged to the backstreet reunion a few years back by my wife and wow, it was insanely packed, I could only imagine an nsync one.

Oct 25, 2017

Yup.
The bullshit wasn't that Timberlake "got away with it".
It's that the women didn't.

Zoe

Oct 25, 2017

I remember clearly how one Japanese newspaper site posted a zoomed in picture of her nipple (to show her piercing, I think? If not a piercing then some other kind of jewelry). The picture didn't stay up more than a few hours IIRC, but it stuck with me that they were brazen enough to do that.

Apr 21, 2018
I kind of lost interest in Janet Jackson when she vehemently defended her rapist brother and accused the victims of lying.

Not sure if that has to do with her downfall but it couldn't have been a good look.

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't excuse it at all, but I had no idea about the background of the "yeah I slept with Britney" radio interview. He shouldn't have done that of course and shouldn't have succumbed to being essentially bribed with breaking through in the R&B demo (thru that radio station) but I always thought it was a one sided thing where he just offered that info up freely

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling that if Justin Timberlake had released good music, people would not take sexual harassment so seriously.
This is about selling magazines or getting clicks.

If he is hot then you kiss his ass and publish the puff pieces because people want to know more about him. When he is on the way down now you can bring out the dirt, because the idea is the same, to sell ads.

But it gives people something to talk about and for a lot of people reading that Timberlake or some other celebrity is a piece of shit makes them feel better about themselves.

Chucker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Maryland
The Janet Jackson documentary absolutely goes into this, at length. She was ripped apart by everybody.

Edit: also - it is very much worth exploring why the media came down super hard on Janet and nobody got mad about Justin. Also issie worth considering is why he let her twist in the wind.

There was a Brittney NYT episode or something on Hulu last year and it absolutely goes into this as well on her side but also mentions the Janet incident as well. A day or so after it premiered Timberlake produced some milquetoast ass apology.

Edit: The same production team made the Janet one.

secretanchitman

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Good - he deserves to be dragged through the mud and pay the consequences for what he's done to Britney and Janet.

That half-assed Instagram apology from him a while back means fucking jack shit when you've been sitting pretty for years. Get the fuck out of here.

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Timberlake went on a blitz dragging and slut shaming Britney at every opportunity. In interviews, the whole opportunistic Aguilera 'revenge' tour, bringing a naked blow up doll wearing a Britney-style wig on stage at an awards show. This is more than just about one performance and one song, he's simply gross and built a narrative on being this aggrieved male putting a woman in her place. The media played a part but he sure as hell isn't clean in all this, he's an instigator.

OP
OP
Naijaboy

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
The media's involvement in that period in general is already getting some attention in recent months as well.

www.vox.com

The bubblegum misogyny of 2000s pop culture

How we destroyed girls 20 years ago — and why we’re just starting to second-guess it.

The article goes into its involvement as well.

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
The article implies that Justin is being canceled in some way, but he's still recording and acting same as ever. It's good that we're finally acknowledging his role in the two incidents at hand, but this isn't some grave cultural reckoning as portrayed.

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
People need to stop giving a shit about celebrities and their morals and if they are good person or not.

Most of them are not and you shouldn't get in the trap of idolizing anyone because pretty much none of them are worth it.

Also fuck these pieces that go after people on the way down. Its the same media that pumps them up. They are just selling something too.
110%.

whytemyke

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This stuff has almost nothing to do with Timberlake and everything to do with trash media making a buck off the terrible things they're pushing about women. Craig Ferguson said it best about Britney— she needed help and not the media trying to make jokes at her expense.

Now they feel like being the moral arbiter in regards to Timberlake? Fuck them.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Timberlake went on a blitz dragging and slut shaming Britney at every opportunity. In interviews, the whole opportunistic Aguilera 'revenge' tour, bringing a naked blow up doll wearing a Britney-style wig on stage at an awards show. This is more than just about one performance and one song, he's simply gross and built a narrative on being this aggrieved male putting a woman in her place. The media played a part but he sure as hell isn't clean in all this, he's an instigator.
oh wow

Marvo Pandoras

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Damn right!

Deleted member 69501

User requested account closure
Banned
May 16, 2020
I'm sorry... Hate jb or like him... The only reason he's of everyone's radar is cause he hasn't released anything. I parsonage doubt his JJ and Britney spears controversy will be remembered in 2 months time..