• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nightbird

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Includes what may be one of the greatest endings to one of his segments ever.

After winning a legal battle involving a coal executive and a giant squirrel, John Oliver explains how SLAPP suits are designed to stifle public dissent.

Alternative link that might be taken down in a couple of hours:

Dusk Golem

Local Horror Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I think this is one of the strongest segments he and his team have done, and the last five and a half minutes of the segment and how they build up to it is fantastic. You can tell the actual frustration from John and his team on this particular issue, and it's very gratifying to see them just drill in on it through the episode with blunt honesty and then deliver in that ending.

It's also a case I feel a bit strongly about due to a similar thing happening with my father (who's an activist for green fuels, my dad was just starting to take off with this and speaking to the governments of several countries on the subject, when one of the 40 richest people in the world who runs an oil company has basically destroyed everything he built up over his life through over two years of locked court cases without jury, initiated by a judge who was later fired for corruption and being paid off, but only recently got out of the locked money draining sessions and they're still trying to drill on how we've stayed afloat after this, but getting by still, there's a really long story behind this I won't get into now), and he does a good job at airing the frustration of fear and trying to control the world through SLAPP suits perfectly.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
giphy.gif

Also, what in the goddamn fuck at that kidney stone story. Eat shit bob.

Last edited:

wbloop

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
This was legit one of the best endings to a Last Night Week Last Week Tonight episode in a very long time. This was fucking amazing.

Eat shit, Bob!

marvelharvey

Oct 26, 2017
I can sometimes find Last Week Tonight a little formulaic, but wow, what a fucking amazing piece of TV that was. I could watch that segment on loop for eternity.

FatalT

Banned
Feb 24, 2019
Kidney stones will now forever be known as "cock rocks" and "pee pebbles" to me.

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
It's really a very very fantastic episode. In the ending where they sang Bob was Jeffrey Epstein's prison guard, just show how recently this was made, or that they made an incredible improvisation to make it more relevant.

This is the single most impressive late show episode I've watched, great content, great context, great research, entertaining, and an explosive surprising end.

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
SLAPP lawsuits are absolutely disgusting and far out of control nowadays, so I am truly thankful for John sticking to his guns and fighting back.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Amazing. That finale was perfection. Loved the part with the lawyer in particular.

RedStep

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
For any that haven't heard it, I'd recommend listening to John's recent interview on Conan O'Brien's podcast. He goes into a lot of background on the show including these bits. Plus it's funny as hell.

Str0ngStyle

Oct 28, 2017
Bra FUCKING vo!!! I can't applaud this enough, like seriously, the setup is long, but so worth it to get to the awesome punchline! Again, great job LWT team.

also, #eatshitbob