• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually have a good one and it's a super white one. My coworker says it constantly and I hate it.

When people say 'tis

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
I have to admit I feel a bit weird when new slang comes out of the black community and white people all start using it online a ton. Sometimes it sounds... performative? Like they're trying to use it to sound cool and current, but it has the opposite effect. I don't hate the slang itself, though.

I'm not sure white people as a culture remember the original usage of "woke"

Feb 9, 2018
I stopped keeping up with the lingo back in high school, so any slang more recent than the turn of the century just sounds weird to my old ears. It changes too often to bother keeping up with. Hell, I still use some 80s & 90s slang sometimes. Far out. Totally gnarly. Grody to the max. Bitchin'. Rad. A'ight. 'Sup. Chill out/Take a chill pill. No duh. I never used cowabunga or crunk, though.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Weeb slang and 4chan slang is really annoying. As well as people using funky versions of "lol" when they talk.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm SO interested in hearing white nerds' takes on gay/Black vernacular

Comments should honestly be prefaced by what city they are from and if they have any sort of melanin. Because this is a pattern that's become too obvious from people who AREN'T minorities. Lol.

Cappin' is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper old (ridiculously old) but it's been re-worked over the years.

Only became really popular over the last 3-4 years or so.

It's essentially this:

Old days:
Capping = showing off, flossing, displaying your wealth in an exaggerated way

Then:
Capping = OVERexaggerating your wealth/what you have (essentially lying to impress)

Which meant:
Cap = the overexaggeration/lie

No cap = no exaggeration / no lie

Im legit surprised that simp is making rounds again on YouTube. Like, I haven't heard it so much since the Drake Take Care days. All these mordecai simp videos? Like where did this get popular from again? Lol.

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone else hear the term biddy, referring to women? I swear I only heard it in my white ass suburban high school and never outside of it.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Oh, I had no idea that was black/queer slang" and "In fairness a lot of is just seeing a word and not knowing what it means".

Like y'all are on the internet. If I see slang I don't know and can't suss out the meaning of, it takes 10 seconds, maybe less, to google "____ slang" and get exactly what I need to know. This is literally how language evolves and grows and just because it's sped up doesn't make it bad, you just need to stop being so rigid. Your way of talking definitely changes just by being online and you're only complaining now because it's clearly non-white or non-cishet culture making you uncomfortable.

This, so much.

I'm tired of straight white culture complaining about stuff like slang and throwing it under a cringe category or saying they must be getting old. I have yet to see the POC or queer users here making threads of straight white culture slang, even though Era has a huge volume of that stuff, especially on gaming side. People just label it as normal internet lingo, yet when anyone comes out and uses terms like yas, slay, snatch, boi... we're automatically labeled as part of PopEra, as a means to demean and put us down. I see the label a lot and half the people being put into this category aren't even apart of PopEra.

Current queer culture is defined by a lot of things, slang included, dating all the way back to the 70s and 80s with Ball culture, which has a lot of variations of slang and fashion taken from black culture. All of this slang is very well documented and anyone with Google can look this shit up. It's also relevant in pop culture today, especially with mainstream shows like Drag Race, which is why it is in abundance on the internet.

Don't be a dumb ass and try to compare queer slang to stuff like memes. It's insulting to the community.

I'm SO interested in hearing white nerds' takes on gay/Black vernacular

I spit out my drink. The tea right here.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Alot of y'all don't like Black Slang

We GET it

Quit these tired ass threads
I think the cringe comes more from nerdy white/straight people trying to use it.

Like an lgbtq person versus a cis white male dork saying "yaas queen" are very different levels of cringe. Or when you see that being used in commercials for Bank of America or whoever the fuck did that.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
My friend says "cuck" a lot. We'll be playing video games and he'll say how he cucked a shot or something. And I'm not sure because I dont really want to look at the rabbit hole but I think he's maybe adopted some right wing terminology? I'm not worried about his position on things but I do worry about the other people he plays with and if he's under a shitty influence.

DigitalOp

Nov 16, 2017
Cappin' is suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper old (ridiculously old) but it's been re-worked over the years.

Only became really popular over the last 3-4 years or so.

It's essentially this:

Old days:
Capping = showing off, flossing, displaying your wealth in an exaggerated way

Then:
Capping = OVERexaggerating your wealth/what you have (essentially lying to impress)

Which meant:
Cap = the overexaggeration/lie

No cap = no exaggeration / no lie

Ay, for the life of me I couldnt figure out where Cappin came from. Preciate this

I'm not sure white people as a culture remember the original usage of "woke"

I actually was gonna do a thread on that, and that would be my official submission for the thread. I hate the word "woke"

Not because of its meaning, but what is become in the current day thanks to white folk. Its bad enough its been wholly corporatized with it being sold on shirts and used in Ad Language, but somehow White People have turned it completely around to be a pejorative.

Somehow the term for being socially conscious is now a negative trait. its crazy when you think about it

It's called Peetz, thank you very much

My grandma has an accent so she says Pizza like Peesa. Sometimes I call it Peezer lol

Did anyone else hear the term biddy, referring to women? I swear I only heard it in my white ass suburban high school and never outside of it.

Yeah, "where the biddies at" is a common phrase. I spell it Biddy, I guess you could also do Biddies

Theres a song by De La Soul called Biddys at the BK Lounge. Goes back as far as early 90s

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Uh I say y'all quite often in real life and I carry that online as well. It's been such a common word my entire upbringing that it feels weird to see it tacked onto a slang thread.
Y'all is actually a wonderful word. It's egalitarian, gender-neutral, and far more versatile a plural pronoun than anything else you could use.

People should use "y'all" more, not less.
Specifically when it's written? How come?
Full disclaimer: I'm not American, I barely hear this word, i mostly see it on the internet (twitter most of the time). Hence the written part.
Also, again, I'm not fully in sync with your culture, but from my little knowledge, it's an expression used by southerners and its also part of the AAVE, right?

Well, having said that, browsing throught twitter, 80% of the time I see this word, it comes from some cringy white teen/young adult that probably lives in L.A. and is an influencer, that also says things like "periodt" or "no cap" or some stupid shit like that.
Because I'm seeing it written, I don't know what accent people are using, so I don't like it because I associate the expression with a southern accent, and not from like people from the Valley.

I don't know if this makes any sense, but that's my explanation.
It's not the word I dislike, it's the type of people that I see using it.

EDIT: Also, in other written things that i cringe everytime i see: lel and lul, or any other variation. It's fucking L-O-L, its been here forever, no need to add a lel or lul variation. I cant explain it, but everytime i see this being written unironically, it kills me.
Wtf does that even mean? Is lel more snarky? Is lul more trolly? God, stream slang is the worst.

EDIT 2: Also, back to the y'all thing, when I do hear it, and it comes from a white person from the West Coast, its usually being used with a "Blaccent" (is that the term?), and that's also a big nope from me.

Last edited:

Bio

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Denver, Colorado
Full disclaimers: I'm not American, I barely hear this word, i only see it on the internet. Hence the written part.
Also, again, im not fully in sync with your culture, but from my little knowledge, it's an expression used by southerners and its also part of the AAVE, right?
Well, having said this, browsing throught twitter, 80% of the time i see this word, it comes from some cringy white teen/young adult that probably lives in L.A. and is an influencer, that also says shit like periodt or some stupid shit like that.
Because I'm seeing it written, i dont know what accent people are using, so i don't like it, cuz i associate said expression with a southern accent, and not from like people from the Valley.
I dont know if this makes any sense, but yeah.
It's not the word I dislike, it's the type of people that I see using it.

EDIT: Also, in other written things that i cringe everytime i see: lel and lul, or any other variation. It's fucking L-O-L, its been here forever, no need to add a lel or lul variation. I cant explain it, but everytime i see this being written unironically, it kills me.
Wtf does that even mean? Is lel more snarky? Is lul more trolly? God, stream slang is the worst.

Y'all is more common in certain areas/communities of the country but not specific to any of them. It's simply a contraction of "you all" that anyone can, and everyone should, use, for reasons I and others have outlined. I'm white, and while I live and was born and raised in Denver, Colorado (considered part of the Rocky Mountain/western region of the country) I've both used and heard it used pretty much everywhere and by everyone, from San Francisco to Dallas to Kentucky, Maryland, and New Jersey.

It does carry some negative connotations because, for the longest time, it was considered something only stupid southerners and hillbillies would say, but there's no reason to let that color your understanding of the word or how it's used. It's a fantastically utilitarian word that simplifies a lot of grammatical issues with the English language.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

To be fair to the 87 yerar old lady who's "lazy" - her 86 year old sister looks like more like her 54 year old daughter. The genetic lottery came up all Bells for little sis. Big Sis looks like a Spielbergian cadaver that just popped out of a rotten coffin.

Also this video is full of deep cuts (including an unexpected Y'ALL at 2:26! In Norfolk!!!) :

WHO LOVES YA, BABY!

Opp7F0b.jpg

(Alt)

RUNAROUND! YOU SLAAAAGS!

m7sWMS2.jpg

Last edited:

Era Uma Vez

Feb 5, 2020
Y'all is more common in certain areas/communities of the country but not specific to any of them. It's simply a contraction of "you all" that anyone can, and everyone should, use, for reasons I and others have outlined. I'm white, and while I live and was born and raised in Denver, Colorado (considered part of the Rocky Mountain/western region of the country) I've both used and heard it used pretty much everywhere and by everyone, from San Francisco to Dallas to Kentucky, Maryland, and New Jersey.

It does carry some negative connotations because, for the longest time, it was considered something only stupid southerners and hillbillies would say, but there's no reason to let that color your understanding of the word or how it's used. It's a fantastically utilitarian word that simplifies a lot of grammatical issues with the English language.
Well, today I learned...
Thanks for the explanation.
I don't know if I can stop the irk when I see it, but at least, I understand it better now, I guess...

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I'm getting pretty tired of sentences that begin with the word "imagine". Oh, haha! What a clever way to frame your thought! You're not original, quit it.

THE210

Nov 30, 2017
I'm getting old so forgive me but I hate the following
Slaps- sounds like sound from 1920's to me
Drip - doesn't make sense sounds gross
Feels / in their feelings and related phrases.
Hustle-when used to describe legitimate work

Last edited:

Tawpgun

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hustle-when you to describe legitimate work
This.

Working overtime? You're hustling. Picking up hours? Hustling. Have a side gig? Hustling.

Working 40 hours a week and calling it hustling? No.

The only problem I have with deadass is that it's been in use for a while now. I have deadass been using that word for the better part of a decade. I don't even know where I picked it up from
My gf picked this up and she's never lived in New York. I think its the memes tbh.

Rookhelm

Oct 27, 2017
"fleek" (though has this died off some?), "slaps" (I haven't heard it in a bit, hopefully it didn't take off), and "thot" can all die right now.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
There's a twitch streamer that made me hate "cap" since he uses it like the Smurfs use smurf.

"That's the tea" is also super annoying.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
I hate "cap/capping" I watched it start as a small term used around the block inEast Atlanta and DeKalb county and now I'm in deep trump territory of the Midwest and hear 20 something year old white kids saying it and I'm about to die from nausea

Also fuck "cringe"

MrMegaPhoenix

Oct 27, 2017
King and queen when talking about a random celebrity
Slaps
Not sure if it counts, but putting a clap emoji between each word

Also wish that "am I the only one who..." Counts because it's the same answer every single time

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ok boomer. You have all this ammo against boomers and that's the best y'all could come up with?