• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
Even considering the issues, I had a really good time with this. A lot of cool and funny moments with my brother.

This is probably one of my favorite PS3 games ever.

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The day an ex-girlfriend broke up with me and I had this game around to make me feel better. Probably the best all-nighter I've done. Just made me forget about everything.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
What a hall of fame experience. It was groundbreaking and amazing. Changed the gen.

Wireframe

Oct 28, 2017
UK
I remember being on the bus home from classes the day it came out and like 4 different people were reading the manual/looking at the back of the case. I've still not played it.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
I think if they are to release it on the PS5 generation, it's time to modernize the graphics a bit more. It still looks okay but I'm already playing it in 4k on my One X. It's going to take something more to make me buy it again.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
So in those 8 years we've gotten Fallout 4 and 76 meaning a four year dev time per game. But 76 was really developed by BGS Austin and not Maryland and it reused a bunch of assets from 4. What the heck has BGS been doing since Skyrim? Yeah I know we have gotten a dozen Skyrim ports and those crappy mobile games but still what happened to my previous favorite developer? šŸ˜•

Starfield Development.

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
Best thing about this game is the modding community. I remember uninstalling this game so fast after I strafed into a crate and that drained all my health. I only ever came back a year ago - I've had the game since launch - and mods truly expand, and dare I say it, "fix" the base game.

Secretofmateria

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, Skyrim should be like RE4, where it is released on every system. Every system deserves it in its library.

tbh i would buy it every time, i adored skyrim when i played it on the ps3 and 360, and i adore it on xbox one and ps4. Something about that world keeps bringing me back, its why elder scrolls as a series is special, top notch atmosphere

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 28, 2019
tbh i would buy it every time, i adored skyrim when i played it on the ps3 and 360, and i adore it on xbox one and ps4. Something about that world keeps bringing me back, its why elder scrolls as a series is special, top notch atmosphere
Yup, same. I have bought it five times so far, and I will keep rebuying it as many times as they re-release it.

fuzzyset

Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why Skyrim lit the world on fire when Oblivion came out on the same set of consoles and was 80% the same experience. I'm guessing 2006 was too early in the console cycle for a big breakthrough hit.

That 20% was a better magic/combat system and more unique world IMO. Dual wielding spells, daggers, etc felt very good in Skyrim. Also, 2011 release allowed the Macho Man Dragons mod to make full cultural impact via social media.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played Skyrim. I kinda want to get it for the Ps4 but the more I wait, the more I feel like its too old right now.

Ps4 > Switch version, correct?

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.
So in those 8 years we've gotten Fallout 4 and 76 meaning a four year dev time per game. But 76 was really developed by BGS Austin (not Maryland) and it reused a bunch of assets from 4. What the heck has BGS been doing since Skyrim? Yeah I know we have gotten a dozen Skyrim ports and those crappy mobile games but still what happened to my previous favorite developer? Elder Scrolls completely skipping a generation while last generation got two? Seems like Bethesda the publisher is completely mismanaged I wish they would move on from Pete Hines.
Starfield has been in development since Fallout 4 released, and it's been planned for much longer.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
I haven't played Skyrim. I kinda want to get it for the Ps4 but the more I wait, the more I feel like its too old right now.

They're identical, just get whichever one is better suited for you playing it.
Skyrim is janky (it was janky on release), but in terms of what makes it so appealing to begin with, it still holds up, so I still recommend it.

Fleet of Foot

Oct 27, 2017
Springboro, OH
They're identical, just get whichever one is better suited for you playing it.
Skyrim is janky (it was janky on release), but in terms of what makes it so appealing to begin with, it still holds up, so I still recommend it.
They might be identical content-wise, but they are not identical graphics wise. If you're primarily playing on a big screen, definitely get the PS4 version over Switch.

RR30

Oct 22, 2018
I believe I bought it 5 or 6 times.
Xbox 360
360 Legendary Edition
X1 Special Edition
PC
PC Special Edition

I'm going through it now against on PC. Probably put near 1000 hours into it. I remember when it came out I had a couple of friends in party chat on Xbox playing it too. Easily one of my favorite games of all time.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
Skyrim remains an albatross around my neck.

I made an early, well received mod which I promised I would update but then soon I became too busy with work...someday I'll return though and give my audience what they deserve. It remains my greatest gaming shame...

Which mod did you make?

Skyrim is what got me into working on sound design seriously. I was so disappointed with the audio in the game it drove me to try and improve it myself. Worked on Immersive Sounds mainly between 2013-2016. It's now one of the most popular Skyrim mods with nearly 1.5 million downloads.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I never understood why Skyrim lit the world on fire when Oblivion came out on the same set of consoles and was 80% the same experience. I'm guessing 2006 was too early in the console cycle for a big breakthrough hit.

A lot of things happened for western rpgs in general to breakthrough in the console space. also, controls, UI, and QoL improved massively from Oblivion to Fallout 3 until we finally arrived at Skyrim.

Skyrim is one of the best games ever made, and to this day no western rpg offers the same insane amount of freedom to play literally the way you want. storytelling definitely should be improved in the future though.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
They might be identical content-wise, but they are not identical graphics wise. If you're primarily playing on a big screen, definitely get the PS4 version over Switch.
The graphical difference isn't that substantial. Unless you are hell bent on having the absolute best looking experience possible, I'd say it can be easily ignored.

Oh, but the PS4 version does support mods, and Switch version doesn't. If that factors in.

Given the history of the last 8 years and the forecast of the next few years, I would say it does...
Well, it hasn't been Skyrim re-releases that have kept TESVI from releasing, though.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Also my birthday, yay.
Happy birthday!

I loved Skyrim when I got it. I bought it for a Steam sale... I wanna say during Christmas 2011. That's really soon after release so maybe I just bought it on Christmas lol. I played it for 120-something hours until early February when a quest glitched out on me and I couldn't complete it. I tried fast traveling away and back, reinstalling, and reloaded and earlier save. I've never played it since, and honestly I have no motivation to do so anymore.

They did give me a copy of the remaster on PC for free because I already had the old version I guess, but I never tried it.

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Something something, "took an arrow to the knee"

I never played the game, but I remember everyone using that phrase in comment sections around the internet after the game came out.

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
Skyrim is still a fantastic game. Sadly, I don't believe we'll ever get anything close to it from Bethesda Game Studios again.

SeeingeyeDug

Oct 28, 2017

Game of Thrones TV show came out in 2011. Skyrim had dragons and was set in a snowy region so it sort of ticked some boxes there I think that Oblivion didn't.

OP
OP

Deleted member 58846

Banned
Jul 28, 2019
We can argue about that, but you can't argue that the Switch version is still a ridiculous $60 and the PS4 version is usually considerably less. It's on sale all the time.
Sure, the price is a good point too.
I'm not arguing for or against any version. I am saying that both are the same product. If you are playing Skyrim for the first time, pick whichever one is likeliest to cause least friction. I don't care if it's Switch, PS4, or even PS3. (Okay, maybe don't pick it up on PS3).

CenturionNami

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Shits on things like Planescape Torment and all the other overated Iso RPGS. Skyrim is the best Western RPG ever made, along with Dragon Age Origins.

Tie with Dark Souls as the best game of 2011 though.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UmeƄ, Sweden
In itself, the game is shallow as an RPG, poorly written with a below average main story and characters with some laughably bad side quests (my god the thieves guild one is bad).

It's a shame Bethesda learned nothing or didn't even take any notes how to make a proper RPG or even write from Obsidian when they made something good out of one of their games (FV:NV).

As a platform for mods however, golden. Gave me Enderal which I am happy with.

Last edited:

Akela

Oct 28, 2017
Skyrim is great but please no. Time to move on already TES VI is already 5 years past due and it probably not releasing for another 4 years.

The people porting over Skyrim aren't the people working on TES VI - Iron Galaxy handled the Switch port for example, so about 12 or so people for aren't even employed by Bethesda.

Bit_Reactor

Banned
Apr 9, 2019
I still play this with mods frequently. A great title and great template for an open world filled with concurrent stories and things going on. Few games have really come close to offering as great as an experience in open world design to me personally. It's amazing that the game (even Vanilla) has so much going on in it at any given time scripting wise and programming wise that it's still comparable to modern open world games. I'd say Witcher 3 is the main one that's surpassed it in terms of characters/quest designs.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018

Yeah of course, unless you you value portability.

Lowkey the Xbox One version is the best one because it has a way bigger selection of mods.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I love Skyrim, but I've never beaten it. There's something about this game where I have an absolute blast with it out of the gate. I'm doing quests, I'm talking to as many NPCs as I can, I'm going with a different build each time, and then ... WHAM. I hit a wall, and I just never pick that file back up again. I don't know if anybody else experiences the same as I do, but as much enjoyment as I get out of it, I seem to have my fun immediately and instantly stop every time I play through a class build.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I'm a bit curious what patches and improvements they will have on PS5 PSVR for Skyrim. The game feels so good in VR but the graphics setting on current PSVR is a bit blurry and jaggy.
This is probably what will will make me buy this fucking game AGAIN..
Ps3, Pc, ps4Psvr version... if they do a super pretty ps5 VR version, i know i will cave.
AGAIN.
I'm part of the problem.

Serif

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I've tried to get into it several times but have only really sunk time into it on the Switch, playing it portably feels so... natural.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
One of my favourite games of all time. Can't think of another title I've bought on three different platforms and enjoyed as much each time.