• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda, please patch in a framerate unlock setting so we can do this without needing a mod that disable achievements.

TechnicPuppet

Oct 28, 2017
Every time I try to play Skyrim I spend ages looking up mods then never get round to playing it because I can't workout how to do a good setup.

There are guides with lots of mods in order but I can't find the correct mods when I use the ridiculous search. I really wish there was an easier way.

Vuze

Oct 25, 2017
Hah, that's pretty cool. Why 60 though? Surely it should be able to push 120? Or at least given that VRR is a thing on Xbox, a higher target should be desirable.

E: Answered below, physics break beyond 60

Last edited:

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
Just as a note, be careful when using these mods. I did some local mod changes of my own to make the game run at 144 fps on PC, somehow managed to corrupt the physics stack long-term, and things really started breaking going into the 100+ hours of my save file.

People flying around, assets spawning at weird places, dragons going bonkers... the big city battles got really broken, haha.

Couldn't find a solution to debug and see what is wrong with my save files, so eventually abandoned the game after putting 150 hours into it, without finishing it. :(

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
It may well not have hit 60 reliably.

Doesn't Fallout 4 offer mods too? I know that's meant to get an update on the emulation side, but presumably something like this would be workable as well in the mean time.
Fallout 4 does have a mod for this. I don't think these mods are new, they just work better now that there's actually more powerful hardware.

Deathglobe

Oct 25, 2017
Edit #2: Apparently there is a way to keep achievements with this mod! As provided by the lovely people in the comments of this post, please see instructions below on how to achieve this (haha get it? Achieve...)
  1. Start the game and go to mods
  2. Download and enable the mod
  3. Restart the game and open mod menu again
  4. Disable the 60 fps mod and restart the game
  5. Play the game with 60 fps!

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
I will wait until this hits gamepass, since I bought the enhanced edition on my PS4 Pro like a clown back in the day. ITs a game that I am determined to actually beat in my lifetime, and I think it will make things more enjoyable playing it at 60fps Just like I did with the Witcher 3 on xbox one x

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
How exactly does Skyrim VR work anyway since it has to run at greater than 60FPS? Do they just roll with it and the broken physics is just part of the package?

...I should probably get around to playing it, I bought it during a Steam Sale like a year ago.

EDIT: Apparently with a .INI tweak you can have the physics calculate properly at 90FPS, but then you start to get the reverse issue of physics problems at low framerates instead of high.

doemaaan

Oct 27, 2017
Bethesda, please patch in a framerate unlock setting so we can do this without needing a mod that disable achievements.
This is something I don't understand. How easily can this be done? Can a developer just flip a switch and uncap their games? Because I'm severely disappointed by how many bc games I've tested myself and the frame rate is still shite (locked 30fps 🙄)

Bluelote

Oct 27, 2017
Just as a note, be careful when using these mods. I did some local mod changes of my own to make the game run at 144 fps on PC, somehow managed to corrupt the physics stack long-term, and things really started breaking going into the 100+ hours of my save file.

People flying around, assets spawning at weird places, dragons going bonkers... the big city battles got really broken, haha.

Couldn't find a solution to debug and see what is wrong with my save files, so eventually abandoned the game after putting 150 hours into it, without finishing it. :(

well Skyrim (and also the older games using a version of this engine) seem to be kind of broken over 60FPS, at 60FPS is should be safe?
the description class this mod as a "ini tweak", I think this should be OK, the game should behave like on PC at 60FPS?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
The caveat is mods disable achievements so this is a no-go if you care about that.

But it also means Bethesda could probably do it themselves if they bothered.

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
well Skyrim (and also the older games using a version of this engine) seem to be kind of broken over 60FPS, at 60FPS is should be safe?
the description class this mod as a "ini tweak", I think this should be OK, the game should behave like on PC at 60FPS?

Aye, it's possible that things will be okay at 60 fps. :D

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017

60 FPS mods are fine anything above 60 will break physics in Skyrim.

Nov 4, 2017
Edit #2: Apparently there is a way to keep achievements with this mod! As provided by the lovely people in the comments of this post, please see instructions below on how to achieve this (haha get it? Achieve...)
  1. Start the game and go to mods
  2. Download and enable the mod
  3. Restart the game and open mod menu again
  4. Disable the 60 fps mod and restart the game
  5. Play the game with 60 fps!
Ok, clearly I'm an idiot as I can't get this working. Should I restart the game right after enabling / disabling the mod? I get 60fps if I enable but obviously not when I disable.

edit - I got it working by not restarting the game after step 4.

Last edited:

Dr. Zoidberg

Oct 25, 2017
Decapod 10
This is cool but official support that doesn't break achievements would be lovely.

One thing that's disappointing on both next-gen consoles is that the vast majority of BC titles are locked to 30 fps so they often end up performing exactly like you remember them from PS4/X1. Since we know most pubs are not going to make new patches to unlock these caps it would be nice if there was some way for the platform holders to force/hack around that.

RAWRferal

Oct 27, 2017
London, UK
This is something I don't understand. How easily can this be done? Can a developer just flip a switch and uncap their games? Because I'm severely disappointed by how many bc games I've tested myself and the frame rate is still shite (locked 30fps 🙄)
Literally one of the easiest things they could do.

I don't think the reason many games aren't uncapped is because of the difficulty of removing said cap.

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
I would really love if Bethesda patched both Skyrim and Fallout 4/76. This sounds great and I tried the Fallout 4 Series X 60fps mod, but I'd like the achievements still activated.

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
mods?
Xbox version allows mods?
is there a list of available mods anywhere?

Rental

Oct 28, 2017
mods?
Xbox version allows mods?
is there a list of available mods anywhere?

All versions including PlayStation allow mods. The amount available for consoles is drastically less than pc. Also the special edition version has less than the og version on pc. Something with modders having to do updates for it to work on the SE version.

Jamrock User

Jan 24, 2018

Who finishes skyrim?
You just start over years down the line.