• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017

This is looking better and better as development progresses. Apparently the team lead is at Gamescom this week to promote it.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Is this just remaking Oblivion within Skyrim or is it supposed to be Cyrodil during the time of the events of TES5?

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Is this just remaking Oblivion within Skyrim or is it supposed to be Cyrodil during the time of the events of TES5?
It's Oblivion in the Skyrim engine. You need to own both Oblivion and Skyrim to play it because they can't redistribute audio files (or any Oblivion files) into Skyrim.

There's also Beyond Skyrim which is a massive mod that takes place during Skyrim.

moustascheman

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Oh wow, this looks really cool. I wonder if they're using an ENB in that trailer though since the lighting seems seems to be way too good and not "grey" enough to be vanilla skyrim.

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, this looks really cool. I wonder if they're using an ENB in that trailer though since the lighting seems seems to be way too good and not "grey" enough to be vanilla skyrim.
Well they have lighting artists that work on each unique biome, although I'm not sure if they're using an ENB in this video. I have seen development streams without ENBs and the lighting is improved upon Skyrim. Custom weathers also goes a long way. They also have things like 3D tree LODs, which vanilla Skyrim does not.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen Oblivion in a while, so I'm sure that this mod looks leaps and bounds better than the original game did. But...it looks pretty rough

That being said, it's a hell of an undertaking and impressive in and of itself

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Just to expand a little more for anyone interested since it is confusing:

There are two main giant umbrella projects right now: The Elder Scrolls Renewal and Beyond Skyrim.

TES: Renewal is made up of Skyblivion (remaking TESIV: Oblivion in the Skyrim engine) Skywind (remaking TESIII: Morrowind in the Skyrim engine). These will both aim to largely recreate the older games, though I know Skyblivion is taking a few artistic liberties to spruce up Cyrodiil a little since it was very samey in Oblivion,

Beyond Skyrim is made up of 7 different teams that are remaking different provinces of Tamriel (and beyond) as they are at the time of Skyrim, so 200 years after the events of Morrowind and Oblivion. These projects are Beyond Skyrim: Iliac Bay, Cyrodiil, Morrowind, Elsweyr, Black Marsh, Roscrea, and Atmora.

The Beyond Skyrim: Cyrodiil team is currently the only one of the above with a playable mod on the market, called Beyond Skyrim: Bruma which is a large chunk of northern Cyrodiil that's totally complete in the Skyrim engine. However Iliac Bay and Morrowind both have similar sub-region mods on the way.

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen Oblivion in a while, so I'm sure that this mod looks leaps and bounds better than the original game did. But...it looks pretty rough

Keep in mind it's still WiP. Some of the stuff still looks like Oblivion assets (gates, Kvatch) which will have to be replaced before they release the mod to the public.

Walker_Boh

Oct 25, 2017
Boise, Idaho
Is there a reason why Bethesda isn't shutting this and the Skywind mod down? I remember they were not too happy about the mod bringing Morrowind to the Oblivion engine.

Taker34

QA Tester
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
building stone people
I'd be normally thrilled to play Oblivion in a new way but looking at the art direction, it really doesn't capture the original vision for the game. Also as far as I know they haven't been able to implement the Oblivion level and skill system. I'm still absolutely blown away by how far the project has come, they've worked hard on it and it shows.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue

This is the mod as it will look in the vanilla Skyrim Special Edition engine, and so it looks a lot like vanilla special edition. You'll be able to install all the same graphics mods on Skyblivion to make it look much better.

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a reason why Bethesda isn't shutting this and the Skywind mod down? I remember they were not too happy about the mod bringing Morrowind to the Oblivion engine.
As long as they don't redistribute assets from older games and everything they do is made by them then it follows Bethesda guidelines.

I'd be normally thrilled to play Oblivion in a new way but looking at the art direction, it really doesn't capture the original vision for the game. Also as far as I know they haven't been able to implement the Oblivion level and skill system. I'm still absolutely blown away by how far the project has come, they've worked hard on it and it shows.

The perk system in Skyrim is something that cannot be modded out of the game, they can only add perks to make it feel more like Oblivion.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
And this is why I love modding on PC, the effort from a community combined can reach that of a full retail product - Bethesda said they don't intend to remake Oblivion so others have taken up the challenge. I'm in the middle of setting up an extremely heavily modified Oblivion install currently and it already looks and plays a million times better than vanilla, but I also would love to play this too.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I think the only way to play in Cyrodiil (or even Morrowind) in the 4th era will be in the "Beyond Skyrim" project, right?
That's right. Skyblivion will also require you to start a new character while all the Beyond Skyrim projects will be completable through one giant save file as your one guy goes from province to province.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
>tfw no mod to play 2nd Era jungle Cyrodiil with the Mayan-Chinese-Roman-inspired Empire before Tiber Septim came along and ruined everything.

I'll begrudgingly accept this as a substitute.

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
>tfw no mod to play 2nd Era jungle Cyrodiil with the Mayan-Chinese-Roman-inspired Empire before Tiber Septim came along and ruined everything.

I'll begrudgingly accept this as a substitute.
Getting rid of jungle Cyrodiil was a good retcon. Don't @ me.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Getting rid of jungle Cyrodiil was a good retcon. Don't @ me.
Y'all boring Ren-fair nerds already had Highrock to live out your boring Western Europe fantasies. Did you really have to take the most interesting place too

That seems a perfect receipt for a disaster tho.
The way they're doing it is 7 different dev teams with 7 completely different mods that will all just be compatible with each other. If it turns out that Elsweyr is shit then you can just not install it and play with the other regions.

Who knows how it will actually work out, but it seems a lot smarter than trying to manage a massive team all at once.

OP
OP
Moose

Moose

Oct 25, 2017
Y'all boring Ren-fair nerds already had Highrock to live out your boring Western Europe fantasies. Did you really have to take the most interesting place too?
Morrowind still exists, I don't know what you're talking about.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
So is this a Tale of Two Wastelands situation where you'll be able to travel between Cyrodill and Skyrim?

Jun 17, 2018
I really wish there was a way this could be ported to Xbox One through mods. Don't really want to buy Skyrim and Oblivion on the PC for one mod :(

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Morrowind still exists, I don't know what you're talking about.
Morrowind only seems like the most interesting now because it had an amazing game that delved into all that depth. Just straight from reading about it in the Pocket Guide to the Empire 1e it seemed cool but Cyrodiil comes off as by far the most interesting to me.

I guess we'll never know how great it would have been though T_T

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this being ported to the special edition or is it still just base skyrim?

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Morroblivion (The morrowind port to oblivion that you're referring to) got in some heat due to that, but after changing it so the mod installer requires you to verify that you own both Morrowind and Oblivion, Bethesda was cool with it. I'm pretty sure it's the same instance here, but the mod teams of Skywind/Skyblivion most likely reached out to Bethesda beforehand to get their permission.

Same thing. The installers will probably check to see if you own legit copies of both Skyrim and Oblivion before letting you install.

littleworm

Oct 25, 2017
Looks good, but I'm gonna be ancient before this, beyond skyrim, the Fallout 3 and New Vegas mods for 4, Fallout Miami and The Frontier see the light of day aren't I.

rashbeep

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good, but I'm gonna be ancient before this, beyond skyrim, the Fallout 3 and New Vegas mods for 4, Fallout Miami and The Frontier see the light of day aren't I.

this seems a lot closer than beyond skyrim cyrodiil (which last i read won't be near ready for another few years :\)

Last edited:

Xiao Hu

Chicken Chaser
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Wait what the hell happened to Skywind?!

Still being worked on. They released a new narrated trailer a while ago with the voice actress that plays some of the female dark elves (seems like she's reprising Azura in Skywind).

At this pace I think Skywind might be released around the time TES: VI is getting ready for launch.

Edit: Beaten like the dirty N'wah that I am

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Dude, I need my TES fix asap. This genre, immersive sim RPGs, is criminally underserved. I can't wait for so long ;(
I don't even know why I care so much at this point. The last two BGS games have been dumpster fires and I had some serious reservations about the direction of the few before that. But I just love the universe and the setting so much I can't help myself but crave more of it.

M-maybe FO4 and 76 will be Todd's wake up call and Hammerfell won't be terrible. I can dream right ;_;