• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
That's what I'm getting at. The game is pretty dead apart from the hardcore so there's no point in having a team on it. Making major changes to a game that's been done for a long time would be really expensive especially as the people complaining are never going to buy the game.

Agreed. I think half the point of the optimizations going into SG right now are to test things out and get the engine ready for a new fighter eventually.

VeggieBurger

Jan 6, 2018
not really worth getting mad about. this kinda caring about wifi vs wired stuff is some niche gamer shit that will only ever really matter to the hardcore fighting game people. if you wanna use wifi you'll still be able to play most multiplayer games without anyone knowing or caring. this thread rules tho it's very funny to see people getting super heated about cables

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I can't recall any instance of mass bullying of wifi players for as long as netplay has been a thing. At most, people (rightfully) tell the wifi player to get a better connection and then ignore them forever if possible. I highly highly highly doubt wifi players around the world are being harassed as much as some of the posters think they are.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
The guy who makes the game knows shit all about networking buying using anecdotal evidence of ping spikes.

I can run the same ping test on WiFi for hours on end with no spikes beyond 10ms, which are more likely related the general internet infrastructure.
mike Z only said that to make it easier to understand to regular people. He gave the more technical answer in a followup interview that frankly would have been even easier to understand because it leaves no room for doubt why wi fi has always been bad until wifi 6 gets released which resolves the fact they are half duplex.

soundcloud.com

Tuesday 9.14 - Guest @MikeZSez Talks About Netcode Nitty-Gritty And SkullGirls (2020-05-05)

Tuesday Show 9.14, 2020 05-05 == TIME STAMPS == 0:02:37 Evo Canceled, Going Online Instead -- 0:09:17 Should They Change the Lineup? -- 0:18:28 Will There Be Monetary Prizes? -- 0:20:29 Should It Be

Timestamp 1:30:00

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
I can't recall any instance of mass bullying of wifi players for as long as netplay has been a thing. At most, people (rightfully) tell the wifi player to get a better connection and then ignore them forever if possible. I highly highly highly doubt wifi players around the world are being harassed as much as some of the posters think they are.

There are people in this thread suggesting that fighting games should just instead show connection quality, literally a thing they already do. Thats the kind of quality we get out of these "any fighting game did anything networking related" topics.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
There are people in this thread suggesting that fighting games should just instead show connection quality, literally a thing they already do. Thats the kind of quality we get out of these "any fighting game did anything networking related" topics.
I mean, people who don't play fighting games sharing their opinions about fighting games has been a thing for a long time, and I ignore them for my sanity.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the hand wringing by the people with wireless internet. They are by far the vast majority of the market in 2020. The only thing that might happen is that a handful of people you attempt to anonymously match up with online might decline to play against you and move on with their lives.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
not really worth getting mad about. this kinda caring about wifi vs wired stuff is some niche gamer shit that will only ever really matter to the hardcore fighting game people. if you wanna use wifi you'll still be able to play most multiplayer games without anyone knowing or caring. this thread rules tho it's very funny to see people getting super heated about cables
After a decade or so of getting matched against WiFi Kens you'd be mad too.

yurr

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 20, 2019
It affects them to the extend that this will immediately ensures they get far less matches than usual, since they're being tagged as less desired players than others.

You can enjoy or not this feature, it doesn't matter. FGC enthusiasts probably will enjoy it since it's directed at them. It's still a display of privileges. Quite literally.
So your on the outside looking in then? You say FGC like your not a member of the community. And This the bill you choose to die on?

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How I imagine people who feel 'shamed' by being labelled a Wi-Fi player;

796578.jpg

dumbyugi

Oct 25, 2017
Dead or Alive 6, an equally dead game, has this as well and as someone who plays on wi-fi I can tell you right now I've never been harassed for it. If someone doesn't want to play me they just don't accept the match and move on. I feel like if you're a hardcore enough player where this bothers you then you should be playing with a wired connection anyway.

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This thread reads like a parody of ERA. Except it's actually genuine. Whew.
Some of y'all really need some perspective. This shit isn't that real. No one is really getting "shamed".

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
I can't recall any instance of mass bullying of wifi players for as long as netplay has been a thing. At most, people (rightfully) tell the wifi player to get a better connection and then ignore them forever if possible.
It's amazing this attitude is allowed to exist here on this site of all places.

imagine taking that stance in an online shooter community you would get chewed up alive.

MnM

Alt-Account
Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Anyone who plays fighting games with WiFi must be excluded by default.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
I've going to troll you all by going online with my crappy free router, the cheapest ISP I can get, whilst bittorrenting in the background.
on a cable.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
And shit like this is why it's hard for people to get into fighting games.

Next time there's a "why don't more people play fighting games" thread, I'll point to this.

Doc Kelso

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
What is so hard to understand about the idea that a WiFi connection makes the experience worse for LITERALLY everyone?

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
What is so hard to understand about the idea that a WiFi connection makes the experience worse for LITERALLY everyone?

I get that the match will be worse if it's on WiFi, but the circle jerk in this thread of shitting in people for playing a game wirelessly is gross. Some people straight up can't play wired. I, for one, straight up can't play my PS4 wired. The way my apartment is set up makes it impossible, so by the logic of this thread I just shouldn't play fighting games.

Oct 25, 2017
I get that the match will be worse if it's on WiFi, but the circle jerk in this thread of shitting in people for playing a game wirelessly is gross. Some people straight up can't play wired. I, for one, straight up can't play my PS4 wired. The way my apartment is set up makes it impossible, so by the logic of this thread I just shouldn't play fighting games.
Must be a big ass apartment.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Matchmaking while on WiFi is inconsiderate.
My landlord won't allow us to run cables or install our own internet in our rooms. There is no way for me to use anything but wireless atm.

I don't play many FGs anyway, bit if I did should I just not play vs online?

Seems a little unfair honestly. I'm sure there are plenty of people like me who have no option to use wired.

Yunyo

Oct 25, 2017
My landlord won't allow us to run cables or install our own internet in our rooms. There is no way for me to use anything but wireless atm.

Seems a little unfair honestly. I'm sure there are plenty of people like me who have no option to use wired.

Do whatever you like, but I got the right to know whether you're on wireless or not and the right to not play you if you are.

Kthulhu

Oct 25, 2017
I'd Wear it with pride, if it means i don't have to play against elitist that would blame a WiFi for their loss.

don't play while on WiFi lol, do ya'll hear yourselves? I'm not going to start asking my landlord if I can start running wires all through out their place to appease you. I imagine the amount of people I play fighters and shooters with are WiFi connected. We aren't playing some esports tournament we are playing from home.

Outside of Mortal Kombat is the fighting community even big enough to be gatekeeping like this? Ya'll should want more people playing not less

Why would I want more people that make my experience worse? Genuine question.

Ragnorok64

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Not my point at all.
What is your point?

Every time this subject comes up you get a bunch of people talking about how thier parents, wife, and/or landlord won't let them run a cable. That doesn't matter. People want to experience good online matches and being able to know the connecting quality and the is a needed quality of life improvement. Should the game say a player is on WiFi "because my landlord won't let me run a cable"? What difference does it make?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
What is your point?

Every time this subject comes up you get a bunch of people talking about how thier parents, wife, and/or landlord won't let them run a cable. That doesn't matter. People want to experience good online matches and being able to know the connecting quality and the is a needed quality of life improvement. Should the game say a player is on WiFi "because my landlord won't let me run a cable"? What difference does it make?
The point is pretty clear if you look at the post I replied to... that it is not inconsiderate when some people don't have a choice.

I have nothing against any other part of this discussion. If you don't want to match with wireless players, fair enough. That part has literally nothing to do with my post, though.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017

have you considered a powerline adapter? I had a great experience with them when I could not play wired. They are far more stable than wifi.

Smoshow

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this conversation goes the same every time. WiFi users have the same excuse, that they can't run cables or tell you their WiFi is faster.

If you're looking to play fighting games seriously online find a way to get wired. If not play against other WiFi players or casuals. No one is saying you can't play the game, just don't ruin it for others

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like this conversation goes the same every time. WiFi users have the same excuse, that they can't run cables or tell you their WiFi is faster.

If you're looking to play fighting games seriously online find a way to get wired. If not play against other WiFi players or casuals. No one is saying you can't play the game, just don't ruin it for others
Na, sorry, but there is literally no way for me to run a cable (I want nothing more than to do so) and if I want to play an online fighting game I'll play it vs everyone.

If you get the option to not match with me, feel free.

Hyun Sai

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the fuss. If Wifi players are a vast majority like pointed here, wired players blocking them won't affect them much, right ?

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
Can we just get a filter to match by connection type? We already have them for connection strength and rank.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, people who don't play fighting games sharing their opinions about fighting games has been a thing for a long time, and I ignore them for my sanity.
Are you guys are referring to my post? Because AFAIK Skullgirls does not show ping stability and packet loss, only latency.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
Honestly? Even though MK11 has this feature I almost never get turned down for being a Wi-Fi peasant. And most of my matches are fine, tbh. And I live in Asia where the game wasn't even released, which means I always play against people half a planet away from me.

fhqwhgads

Oct 28, 2017
As a wifi player myself, this is a feature that everyone should be thankful for. In Mortal Kombat if I see someone with a Scorpion profile and a Wifi symbol I am noping the fuck out of there right away. Getting declined a handful of matches is the most """abuse""" a wifi player will ever get.

mutantmagnet

Oct 28, 2017
This thread reads like a parody of ERA. Except it's actually genuine. Whew.
Some of y'all really need some perspective. This shit isn't that real. No one is really getting "shamed".
I don't think you have grasped human psychology. Logically speaking they shouldn't care about this (such as the fact they most likely don't play the game in question and the game isn't popular enough to set a trend for future game development) but it was obvious this feature would bother people.

Csr

Nov 6, 2017
1) Ideally more direct and detailed information about the connection should be displayed like average ping in numbers and not bars, real time ping, packet loss etc... because there are people that are on awful routers, torrenting, bad cabling, their room mates using netflix or whatever. I think this is inevitable to happen in the future as online tournaments become more frequent and important.

2) A wifi indicator is unfortunately necessary right now because vast majority of people don't bother making their setup good enough for online play, that is on top of other problems a wired connection and router might have. It sucks for people that have good wifi setup who are also hardcore fighting game players though.
edit: I mean it is necessary until games start showing more detailed information about the connection.

3) In my experience people that say wifi is good enough usually are just not experienced enough or serious enough to notice the difference and the importance of a good connection in fighting games. Though again there are exceptions with people actually having decent wifi.

4) IF you are a casual player this will not have any impact on you, most people are on wifi probably anyway at least on consoles, the people that would message you shaming you about playing on wifi would either not play at all with you or would certainly find something else to insult you about, i got countless hate messages when i was playing sfiv on xbox360 and ps3, some were even incoherent not sure what they were angry about. There are already games that have wifi indicators and i don't think this has caused many problems.

I have thousands of hours playing fighting games and usually a bad wifi connection is easy to spot, i would talk to the people afterwards and inform them (always in a polite manner), though usually they thought everything was fine and didn't notice while admiting they were on wifi.
There are many other reasons though why a connection might be bad and a guy on a decent wifi setup might give me a better experience than someone who is torrenting at the same time or his family is making heavy use of the internet while also having bad equipment, so displaying more numbers about the connection would be better.

Last edited: