• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
This is an awesome feature. The false positive isn't a big deal. Turning off the WiFi on your laptop is holding the fn button and clicking the WiFi button. It's not that hard to not have two interfaces running at the same time.

Having WiFi is the privilege. You don't need the wireless router plugged into your modem, that cable could go straight into your console instead. The WiFi is the extra thing you pay for. What a backwards way of thinking. That badge isn't shaming you, it's just alerting people of your shitty connection.

Deleted member 20471

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This thread is a cringefest. In 2020 civilized people are trying to eliminate cables from their life using tech like airpods and wireless chargers, while you are asking them to add meters and meters of ethernet clutter in their houses because you can't deal with a little bit of lag in a fucking videogame. And you shame them because they refuse to take part to this madness. Oh, the humanity. I hate gamers so much.

Santos

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
This thread is a cringefest. In 2020 civilized people are trying to eliminate cables from their life using tech like airpods and wireless chargers, while you are asking them to add meters and meters of ethernet clutter in their houses because you can't deal with a little bit of lag in a fucking videogame. And you shame them because they refuse to take part to this madness. Oh, the humanity. I hate gamers so much.
What a shitpost

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017

Dont play ranked.

very simple.

Brauni

Dec 4, 2017
The ethernet mesh post is a good example of being on wifi although the system thinks you're on ethernet. The real solution is not having only ping as a meter of quality of connection. Ping only tells half the story. Show ping, ping stability and packet loss % instead.
Hey friends, Stop fighting, stop joking, someone threadmark this post. This is what we need to ask kindly for, and need to educate people about.

Asking nicely, do you play competitive fighting games online, and are you never bothered by lag?

Deleted member 2620

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, someone clear this up for me.

The badge shows for any connected wireless network and not device, right? The latter will have massively more false positives than the former.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
This post is a cringefest. It's 2020 and civilized people are trying to eliminate lag in their video games using tech like fiber optic cable and rollback netcode, while you are asking them too add inconsistency and delays in their game because you can't deal with a few feet of cable? And you shame them because they ask to not be matched with you? Oh the humanity. I hate gamers so much.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany

Using cables for internet and audio makes you an uncivilized person now? Ridiculous post.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Imagine if something similar to this didnt happen because of a lag spike.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Oh it's you again.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, but i play a lot of mario kart at high level. Sometimes I lose due to lag, it's not a nice thing but it can happen and I don't bitch about it, it's not a big deal.
Mario Kart doesnt require the same level of connection stability a fighting game does. But please keep going on about something you have no idea about all over again.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
It's easier for many home setups to use wifi than to run cables everywhere.

Understandable. If you're not heavily invested enough to work out a wired solution or it's simply not feasible, you may just be playing against other WiFi users with similar connection types without affecting those who worked out a wired solution to improve their experience. No big deal.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
There's a huge difference in playability between a laggy Mario Kart and a laggy fighting game lol.

OP
OP
Kaguya

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018
Same big brain logic from the last thread I see, "how dare they ask for a better online experience, lol gamers".

Last edited:

Deleted member 20471

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
User banned (5 days): trolling over multiple posts, prior ban for trolling
There's a huge difference in playability between a laggy Mario Kart and a laggy fighting game lol.
Yeah I heard that when there's lag in a fighting game, a children is killed in real life. The stakes are so damn high in fighting games!

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
This update needs to come to the PS4 version of Skullgirls.

And every fighting game in existence.

valuv

Oct 25, 2017
WiFi players demanding that a bad online experience shouldn't be made known beforehand just so they can play are the real privileged people

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Run cable inside the walls and problem solved. A little googling and you can do it yourself snaking the cables, or pay an installer. No clutter. Or games should have a WiFi-player quarantine where they can't screw up everybody else's lobbies. Problem solved!

Joe2187

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I heard that when there's lag in a fighting game, a children is killed in real life. The stakes are so damn high in fighting games!

Ranked is a competitive mode.

Playing tournaments is a competitive event.

EVO is now an online event, you either play wired or you get booted.

If you want to play on Wifi dont play ranked. Its very simple.

Deleted member 20471

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Run cable inside the walls and problem solved. A little googling and you can do it yourself snaking the cables, or pay an installer. No clutter. Or games should have a WiFi-player quarantine where they can't screw up everybody else's lobbies. Problem solved!
yeah, I should pay a lot or money or waste a lot of hours so people on the internet don't shame me for enjoying a fucking videogame. It totally makes sense

Brauni

Dec 4, 2017
Nope, but i play a lot of mario kart at high level. Sometimes I lose due to lag, it's not a nice thing but it can happen and I don't bitch about it, it's not a big deal.

So mario kart is a great example of a game which doesn´t in fact rely on a perfeclty stable connection!
If people are on wifi, and even if there are multiple seconds(!) of latency due to wifi or other circumstances, it´s often not a big deal, chance is, people don´t even notice it, except they are directly interacting with each other just when the lag occurs.

In fighting games, this is completly different in a lot of ways, but I just pick a single major one:
In delay-based netcode games, like smash ultimate which I played for over 500 hours already, Lag freezes the game, and/or slows it ingame-tempo down. I also don´t mind losing, doesn´t matter because of skill(actually I enjoy playing against better players) or because of lag BUT in a game which creates a lot of fun because of the inherent joy of movement, constant freezes and stutters really dampen this very enjoyment. It also prevents any combos wich rely on very small frame windows, and there is a lot more to this I could talk about, but I don´t want to overdo it.

Point is, competitve play in fighting games inherently is more(or even only) fun on a very stable connection, but I also agree that there are better solutions than "just" marking players with a wifi connection.

tl;dr I just hope I could explain a bit why a stable connection is important for my fun in a videogame

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Do you know how much cable installation in a wall costs?

Kingpin Rogers

HILF
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Hahahaha! SCRUB QUOTES 64 (@ScrubQuotesX) | Twitter

The latest Tweets from Hahahaha! SCRUB QUOTES 64 (@ScrubQuotesX). 99% real quotes from real scrubs. 1% sneaky giveaways. Admin talk in [ ]. Don't dox or source. Content warning: slurs and worse. Submit by DM, @, or Discord!. FGC
you'd fit in here

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
This is a good move, after all people who play ranked mode in fighting games on Wi-Fi need to be clearly identified.

By their very nature it's a miracle that fighting games can even function online and consistency is key for an enjoyable experience for both players.

Minthara

Freelance Market Director
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Montreal
I'd be perfectly okay if more games separated wired and wireless connections, or at least gave people the option to filter out wifi connections. Especially for ranked mode play.

Some stuff just becomes near unplayable when one (or both) parties are on spotty wifi.

Deleted member 20471

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
So mario kart is a great example of a game which doesn´t in fact rely on a perfeclty stable connection!
If people are on wifi, and even if there are multiple seconds(!) of latency due to wifi or other circumstances, it´s often not a big deal, chance is, people don´t even notice it, except they are directly interacting with each other just when the lag occurs.

In fighting games, this is completly different in a lot of ways, but I just pick a single major one:
In delay-based netcode games, like smash ultimate which I played for over 500 hours already, Lag freezes the game, and/or slows it ingame-tempo down. I also don´t mind losing, doesn´t matter because of skill(actually I enjoy playing against better players) or because of lag BUT in a game which creates a lot of fun because of the inherent joy of movement, constant freezes and stutters really dampen this very enjoyment. It also prevents any combos wich rely on very small frame windows, and there is a lot more to this I could talk about, but I don´t want to overdo it.

Point is, competitve play in fighting games inherently is more(or even only) fun on a very stable connection, but I also agree that there are better solutions than "just" marking players with a wifi connection.

tl;dr I just hope I could explain a bit why a stable connection is important for my fun in a videogame
First of all, thank you for taking the time to write such an insightful post, I really appreciate it. I must admit that I don't know much about fighting games, but what you have writtern makes sense to me. That being said, I still think that shaming wifi players is not the right thing to do, a better solution could be a "super nerd ethernet only" ranked mode, alongside a ranked mode that is accessible to both wifi and wired players.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
This is a good move, after all people who play ranked mode in fighting games on Wi-Fi need to be clearly identified.

By their very nature it's a miracle that fighting games can even function online and consistency is key for an enjoyable experience for both players.

It's not a miracle at all considering that the internet protocols we have now were made to deal with connection or redudancy problems vs early version of arpanet which demanded perfection.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
This is awesome. Skullgirls still manages to be the example to follow so long after its first release. Rollback netcode and Ethernet/Wifi indicators really should be mandatory, as well as the option to filter out Wifi players entirely.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I've gotten matches in Mk11 that are on Wifi with over 200ms ping and was perfectly playable without the visual artifices and input lag.

However, those connections starts to degrade and you start seeing packet losses if matches persist.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I know you're being sarcastic, and I understand why you're unwilling to back down here given the intensity of the conversation at hand. Thing is, though, the stakes are higher for a lot of players. It's kind of a mental thing but that's, like, the point of fighting games. People play fighting games online to test their skill and to see how they measure up. People who play fighting games seriously play for that reason alone, online and offline. Any degree of luck or inconsistency impacting the scenario takes away from that central conceit of the genre, especially in ranked matches. It's an easy thing to understand if you've ever gotten really into a fighting game, even if you're not happy with how fans of the genre express it. Every single moment of a 1v1 match in a fighting game tests your skill and understanding of the mechanics, as intended. Every single moment can serve as a learning experience that gives you insight into what you're doing right, what you're doing wrong, and how you could be doing things differently. These moments can span a fraction of a second and can change the outcome of a combo or an entire match. Inconsistencies therefore have the potential to undermine the entire intended experience that these games are designed inside and out to facilitate. Hence why fans of the genre are more likely to jump through hoops to lessen the frequency of such inconsistencies than fans of other genres typically are. Of course, there's no avoiding such inconsistencies when an opponent's setup almost guarantees that those inconsistencies will occur regardless.

Other genres aren't defined by split-second maneuvers and reactions, measured in frames and sixtieths-of-a-second, quite like fighting games are. Even the most fast-paced shooters and racing games still have more leiweigh in how they're designed and mechanically structured to facilitate such inconsistency without that inconsistency subverting the intended experience or the player's ability to utilize their accumulated skill to triumph. I can totally understand your unwillingness to accept the way some fighting game fans refer to wifi users as a whole, given the contentious atmosphere it creates. What you have to understand is that the lack of tolerance for inconsistency where this genre is concerned exists for reasons beyond simple elitism - fighting games are monumentally less enjoyable for the most dedicated players when inconsistency is introduced to the experience, for valid reasons that, again, subvert the intended experiences one is meant to have when playing them.

There's no room to learn what I'm doing right or doing wrong when I whiff a combo I've been practicing offline for weeks, solely because the game's internal logic determined that an opponent wasn't actually standing in the position that their position on my screen suggested, as a result of inconsistency introduced by packet loss. When there's no room to learn what I'm doing right or wrong in a fighting game, then there's no point to playing out the match. I might as well be button mashing to kill time at that point, and that's not fun or engaging to me or to anyone who comes to these games to master their mechanics and to put their mastery to the test.

You might argue that fighting games simply aren't suited to online play if any degree of inconsistency can wreak havoc on their mechanical integrity, but strides in netplay design have been made over the last two decades to ensure that players can enjoy fighting games online in largely the same fashion that they do when playing offline. Packet loss is not an obstacle that can be overcome, unfortunately, which is why fans of the genre place heavy emphasis on using wired setups if engaging in serious play - or if choosing to play with people who intend to do so. When you choose to play with serious players (or in ranked matches) on a setup that introduces inconsistency, you might find there's some fun to be had depending on your own standards, but you'll often ruin the experience for the other player, in a fashion that's largely unique to the genre - and that's why dedicated players value the opportunity to identify and avoid that sort of inconsistency. It lets them avoid wasting their time on a match that won't reflect the time and energy they've put into learning and getting better, and that won't give them opportunities to learn and get better. And it lets them avoid a mark on their play record that doesn't reflect their actual standing, which can be a deeply frustrating experience when it's common and unavoidable.

Last edited:

Qassim

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I wonder if a better solution, one that doesn't particularly target WiFi, would be to instead just continually benchmark the devices connection back to the local router (e.g. continually pinging your local gateway and monitoring latency, packet loss, etc) to ensure it meets a minimum standard. If not, flag them with an icon.

Would be more complex to implement than this, but seems fairer, I think.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I certainly don't think people should be expecting it to be reasonable to start drilling holes to run wires, especially if you rent. I think criticizing people for not wanting to do that is off-base.

But you can get long cables to run around floorboards. If that's a dealbreaker, then just playing other WiFi users is perfectly reasonable.

Deleted member 34873

User-requested account closure
Banned
Nov 29, 2017
Are people really complaining about this? Seriously?

Don't go around with a crap connection demanding to ruin other people's enjoyment of the game because you are on wireless. The fuck out of here with "privilege."

Neo0mj

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get WiFi warriors. When even Nice Guy Sakurai took the time during his presentation to tell people to go out and find an Ethernet adapter before playing Smash online (a game geared at casual audiences) then maybe there's a chance WiFi is not an ideal way to play?

I wonder if a better solution, one that doesn't particularly target WiFi, would be to instead just continually benchmark the devices connection back to the local router (e.g. continually pinging your local gateway and monitoring latency, packet loss, etc) to ensure it meets a minimum standard. If not, flag them with an icon.

Would be more complex to implement than this, but seems fairer, I think.

That seems needlessly complex. It's perfectly fair to mark people playing on wifi who could negatively impact the experience. Not that different from showing how bad the ping will be before starting a match and giving players the option to opt out.