• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island

Console specific news that didn't fit in the title
- Switch DLC will come later due to the work required for that platfrom
- Still want to port to Xbox at some point

Full Info: https://steamcommunity.com/games/245170/announcements/detail/3017946057966482919
OFFICIAL: Annie DLC + Skullgirls Season Pass
Annie DLC + Season 1 Pass arriving in early March, 4 new DLC characters confirmed!

ef5f4d62a914cc07531c6932be39f63ccf764b71.png

With Annie's impending release for Skullgirls 2nd Encore right around the corner, we wanted to answer a number of questions that have arisen and provide a complete and thorough overview of what to expect surrounding the release and our plans for the remainder of 2021 (and beyond)!

ANNIE DLC AVAILABILITY

2b0f6e5fb3082f121a67444f3a8bbe042cb0a892.png

We're planning to release the Annie DLC in early March on Steam as an "Early Access" release.

After her initial release, we'll plan to make any needed balance updates until we feel she is in a suitable state for a "final" release, after which we plan to release the final DLC on Steam and Playstation.

While these dates are somewhat in flux, here's a rough timeline:

NOTE: Yup, your eyes do not deceive you -- Annie Story Mode confirmed! đŸ€©

SKULLGIRLS 2ND ENCORE - SEASON 1 PASS

In addition to the Annie DLC (and our recent announcement of a brand new character in the works), we are excited to announce the first ever Skullgirls Season Pass!

The Season Pass will (minimally) include:
  • DLC: Annie
  • DLC: TBA Character 2
  • DLC: TBA Character 3
  • DLC: TBA Character 4
  • Season Pass Exclusive Palette Pack
  • DLC: Skullgirls OST (including the new Annie Track)
  • DLC: Skullgirls Digital Art Compendium (Fully Updated!)
NOTE: All Character DLC will include the Character, new Stage/Music, Palettes, and full Story Mode.

FUTURE CHARACTERS

Although Character 2, 3 and 4 have already been chosen (!!!), we are exploring ways in which players who have purchased the Season Pass can contribute to the DLC character release order (e.g. via some form of voting system).

Depending on how well the Annie DLC and Season Pass does - we hope to add even more FREE stuff to the Season Pass list, up to and including a FIFTH Brand New Character! We are still working on the details for this, but if this does come to pass, we will also be exploring ways in which players can also participate in the selection process.

BALANCE PATCH

In light of Annie's inclusion, and ongoing character development in 2nd Encore thereafter, we are planning on including bug fixes, quality of life changes, and balance adjustments along with this DLC release.

These balance changes will be available (via a Beta mode, accessed from within the main retail version of Skullgirls) for free for all Skullgirls players alongside the Early Access release of the Annie DLC.

STEAM STORE UPDATES

Leading up to the release, we are going to be making some updates to the Store on Steam as we make room for these new arrivals. Most notably, this will include consolidating Skullgirls and all pre-existing DLC (including the 2nd Encore Upgrade, all DLC characters, palettes, etc) into one item and retiring the Endless Beta as a separate "game".

If you have already purchased the 2nd Encore Upgrade on Steam, there will be no applicable change beyond older DLC no longer being listed on the store.

If you currently own the original Skullgirls (without the 2nd Encore Upgrade), congratulations! You just got the 2nd Encore Upgrade for free!

Expect to see these changes roll out on the Steam store before the end of February, before Annie's Early Access launch.

PRICING

After all of these changes go live and the new DLC is released, the price (in USD) on the store will be as follows:

4604eef787892227b59a379b62f6482e9dd2e604.png

fbf0f98bdfda7daea5116404c4933a3b017a0ee1.png

FAQ

RELEASE DATE

Early March? Why no firm release date?
While we'd love to lock down a final date, due to some external platform dependencies surrounding the release of the update, we're not able to commit to a specific date at this time. That said, rest assured we plan to release as early in March as possible.

PLATFORM AVAILABILITY

What about Nintendo Switch or <INSERT PLATFORM>?
Although ideally we would launch any new DLC on all platforms at the same time, unfortunately due to unique technical complications regarding the Nintendo Switch port, Annie will not be immediately available on that platform. We will provide an update as soon as we have an updated timetable on Switch availability.

We are not planning on releasing Annie and/or Season 1 DLC updates for the Xbox 360, PS3, or PS Vita versions. With this update, PS3 and PS Vita will NOT be able to cross play with the updated PS4 version.

What about Xbox One / Series X?
We are interested in bringing Skullgirls to the Xbox One / Series X in the future, but we do not have any further details we can share at this time.

Will 2nd Encore get full crossplay between platforms?
This is something we're interested in exploring, but it is not a priority for the immediate future.

ANNIE

Who is involved with designing Annie and the new character? What will be included in the balance patch?
Beyond your friendly neighborhood Liam, we'll be sharing more details about the experienced team who has been hard at work on Annie's design for 2nd Encore alongside Balance Patch notes as we get closer to her release in early March.

Why isn't Annie Free DLC like <INSERT 2ND ENCORE DLC CHARACTER>?
Annie wasn't crowdfunded by the "Keep Skullgirls Growing IndieGoGo" campaign like the original 2nd Encore Characters, as such she will be a standard DLC release.

Will Annie's Story mode have VO?
Eventually! Due to the logistics associated with recording Story Modes, we are currently planning to record all of the DLC character Story Modes at the same time. As such, although Annie's Story Mode will launch without VO, we will be adding VO as an update at a later date.

FUTURE CHARACTERS

Will new characters be released on Mobile before 2nd Encore, similar to Annie?
When we developed Annie, our initial focus was fully on getting her ready for mobile with the understanding that a 2nd Encore release was possible, but not guaranteed.

While the exact release dates for the next characters are still TBD, we are building them with the primary goal to release on both Mobile and 2nd Encore ASAP. As such, minimally there should not be as significant of a gap between their release on Mobile and their release in 2nd Encore. Stay tuned for more details!

Can you reveal who the next character is?
Not yet, but we can confirm that their development is already underway. Stay tuned for more details after the Annie DLC launch!

MISC

What kind of updates should we expect for the Digital Art Compendium?
We've added a ton of stuff! Annie animation frames/model sheets/move concepts, Talking Heads and full screen art from the mobile Origin Stories, and much much more! We'll share full details regarding the updated contents alongside our launch.

Will the existing cast get new color palettes in the future?
We have no shortage of ideas for amazing new palettes for the entire Skullgirls roster on both Mobile and 2nd Encore. Stay tuned for more details!

Will Mobile exclusive palettes like Beast King Beowulf be added to 2nd Encore?
There are already a number of palettes that were first introduced in Mobile that were later added to 2nd Encore (e.g. Kill Joy Valentine). I wouldn't be surprised to see more of those palettes make their way into 2nd Encore someday...

How can I help support the ongoing development of Skullgirls?
Supporting Skullgirls Mobile and 2nd Encore when Annie releases (and also telling your friends, encouraging them to play, entering/spectating tournaments, etc) is the best way to help us continue to grow! Also, if you'd like to leave a nice review about us on your gaming platform(s) of choice it wouldn't hurt. ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ

WRAPPING UP

If you have another question that we haven't covered here, please respond below and - if we're able to answer it - we will update this FAQ to the best of our ability.

It's an exciting time to be a Skullgirls fan! Needless to say, we wouldn't be here today without all of your passion and boundless support over the years. Thank you all so much for your support - here's to even more exciting stuff for Skullgirls in 2021 and beyond!

<3
All of us at Hidden Variable and Autumn Games

Last edited:

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Holy shit, 4!? That's awesome.

Season 1!? As in multiple seasons? Doubly awesome!!

Mesoian

â–Č Legend â–Č
Oct 28, 2017
So...I missed this.

Who's in charge of skullgirls development now? Hidden Variable? They're just..taking over the fighting game as well?

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Skimmed the announcement and couldn't find mention of when the season pass will be up for purchase. Is it in there and I missed it or just not specified?

Crashman

Oct 27, 2017
The launch party continues.

I wonder if Umbrella's finally going to get in after a decade of waiting.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm gonna guess right now, the last 3 characters will be the last 3 that were supposedly needed for the complete story. Umbrella, Marie, and Black Dahlia.

So...I missed this.

Who's in charge of skullgirls development now? Hidden Variable? They're just..taking over the fighting game as well?
Publisher Autumn Games owns the IP, and yes, Hidden Variable is taking over work on the retail game.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If those accounts by ex Lab Zero devs are true, then Mike Z is primarily the reason why Skullgirls' development slowed down these past few years.

And in a few months since the game was yanked from him, they announce a season pass worth of content.

Love to see it.

Oct 25, 2017
It's cool to see the game still getting this kind of support so long after release and after everything that's happened.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Skullgirls mobile game must be treating them really well if they're able to push the main game this much, nice to see that the game seems to be landing back on its feet again

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
My Feng dream is alive again for a little while.

Edit: Probably the best news is that the characters are already picked so we don't have a repeat of the character vote. That got really heated to say the least.

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
FYI these are all the remaining DLC characters they put up for vote in the Indiegogo campaign all the way back in 2013

KE8I7ru.jpg

Grimmjow

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Def gonna buy this. I love me some skullgirls even though I'm not good at it lol

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'm uh... very confused. Who actually owns this IP? I thought Mike Z basically fired everyone from Lab Zero and that kind of put any more Skullgirls development on ice.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'm uh... very confused. Who actually owns this IP? I thought Mike Z basically fired everyone from Lab Zero and that kind of put any more Skullgirls development on ice.
Autumn Games always owned the IP, Lab Zero was the dev. It's moved over to Hidden Variable now, who developed the mobile game.

VariantX

Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, SC
Excited to see more support, really didnt expect that.

MikeZ is out, right?

Outside of the engine its on, Mike Z has nothing to do with the game anymore. Autumn Games has someone else taking over development.

Shit straight up feels like he might have been holding the game back if we're suddenly getting all this new DLC. Or it could be that Indivisible is dead dead freeing up the resources needed to continue development. Either way, looks like the game is going to have a good future without his involvement.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
208.gif

Price seems a little steep IMO, but giving all current DLC to all owners of the game is pretty cool

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Outside of the engine its on, Mike Z has nothing to do with the game anymore. Autumn Games has someone else taking over development.

Shit straight up feels like he might have been holding the game back if we're suddenly getting all this new DLC. Or it could be that Indivisible is dead dead freeing up the resources needed to continue development. Either way, looks like the game is going to have a good future without his involvement.

Ah, good to know. Last I heard, Mike Z had fired everyone or something crazy, I assumed Lab Zero owned the IP

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
JFC ALL MY MONEY

I legit rushed to the steam store page to preorder and now I'm seeing the possibility of a FIFTH character if the season pass does well? Yeah, they can have everything.
You're telling me there's a chance I finally get Minette?
IMO there's a damn good chance now. She is pretty popular among the fanbase. I think she, Black Dahlia and Isaac have great odds. Our goal as a fanbase should be to blow the damn hinges off the doors with the season pass. Why stop at hoping for a fifth character? I may well double dip on consoles if it means the possibility of a SECOND season pass. Then Panzerfaust, Roxie, Feng and Brain Drain can join the party!

Oct 25, 2017
Don't care too much for the game at this point tbh but I'm glad to see it get more support after like 6 years of dormancy. Happy for all the fans.

Little odd for them to call this the "Season 1 Pass" when the content they have planned is extending well into 2022. If you need over 18 months to finish what's on your plate, you should maybe play it safe and not leave open to interpretation that you're definitely doing more.

Zyrox

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
35 bucks for 4 characters is a little rich especially compared to other fighting games out there.