• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Do you skip cutscenes on your first playthrough?

• Yes. I want to play a video game not watch movies.

Votes: 137 10.1%
  • No. It's an integral part of the experience.

Votes: 1,220 89.8%

• Total voters

galvenize

Oct 25, 2017
Coming from the Days gone thread, I see many replies saying they would skip all cutscenes on their first try. Which honestly boggles my mind.
Skipping it on a secondary playthrough is a must, but straight out of the box, I feel like I would be missing out.

Speaking of video games in general, who actually does this?

iFirez

Oct 25, 2017
England
I'm trying to think if I've ever skipped a cutscene on a first playthrough, ever. I remember doing it accidentally once and quickly reloading an old save so I could watch the cutscene. I skip cutscenes like mad on some games when I replay them but some games don't have skip options or I like their stories so much I always watch the cutscenes and dialogue sections; such as in Mass Effect.

Oct 30, 2017
Of course not!!

It's part of the experience and the whole package.

Never could understand who do such thing lol.

Blade Wolf

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taiwan
First playthrough? Never, it provides a lot of context and world building, I wouldn't skip it even if I'm bored.

Replays? Always, but if the cutscene is really good then I'll watch again.

The story has to REALLY suck to make me skip it on my first playthrough, I remember feeling that way while playing The Order 1886, it's just painfully bad.

Last edited:

SweetVermouth

Banned
Mar 5, 2018
I don't do this, but the option should definitely be there and not have to be unlocked by playing through the game. Why? Because if I beat a game but lose my save file I still want to skip cutscenes if I play it for a 2nd or 3rd time.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Depends on the game to be honest. If it's another CoD game, then I doubt I'll be missing much. Also depends on how you feel on the day - you might not be in the mood for long cutscenes.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
The only time a skip cutscenes on the first playthrough is if I already saw it and some sort of game over had me go back to a previous save/checkpoint where the cutscene triggers again.

Revolsin

Usage of alt-account.
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I would have in Pokemon Sun if actually given the option. Cutscenes in that game are the definition of pacing killers. Not to mention I could skip 10 in a row and barely miss a thing with how slow the plot progresses.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I caught myself doing it in The Witcher 3, which made me realize the game wasn't for me, so I stopped playing quickly after that. But normally I would never do that in a big narrative driven game. Could do it in games like Hong Kong Massacre/Hotline Miami.

Sep 14, 2018
I only skip cutscenes for multiplayer games with a campaign (basically COD) I care little about if I am trying to grind for a trophy.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Definitely skipped a few cutscenes in kh3 because they were so awful.

Skipped pretty much most of the cutscenes in mad Max. Terrible.

Tried playing one of the Yakuza cutscenes but it felt like I had to sit through and hour of cutscenes before playing. So I skipped them.

Basically when the cutscenes are terrible and story is dogshit I'll skip em.

I don't skip cutscenes if they're really well done.

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
I voted "no" out of principle, then I read the OP and realized it was a Days Gone thread. I would absolutely skip the cutscenes on a first run of Days Gone because chances are I'm playing it on a bet.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
never, it's part of the experience. if they're so bad that i just can't physically tolerate watching them, i'll just drop the game.
even on replays, most of the time i end up rewatching the cutscenes.

NDWest14

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
It depends on how 2 things that really play into themselves
  • Frequency
  • Quality of Story
I rarely if ever do it on my first play, but I've made exceptions

Recent Exception: KH3.

They are entirely too frequent and the story is absolutely horrendous. Not to mention some of the VO they have replacing the originals are really hard to listen. Factor in they are acting out some of the most cringe worth writing ever and it's easily skippable.

-----------

Last Gen Exception: Bayonetta.

Story wasn't good and whatever got me back to the action quicker was always preferred.

----------

Though I will say, that with my parameters I do try not to skip more than 2 in a row. Even for how awful KH3s story is, I do still have a slight investment in knowing how it plays out. I just don't need to be constantly pulled out of the gameplay

Voytek

Oct 25, 2017
I only skip cutscenes if I have already seen it before or if the game's story is just boring the fuck out of me but it has to be really bad for me to do that.

huH1678

Oct 30, 2017
I don't but people can do whatever they want, they're the ones spending their money lol.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If I'm playing like The Division or a Call of Duty game while stationary biking, I'm going to be skipping cutscenes.

The large majority of the time I will never skip though.

TheUnforgiven

Banned
Nov 23, 2018
You got 3-4 cutscenes to convince me that that part of the game is worth my time. If they are poorly directed, voiced or paced then I will skip for the rest of the game.

A game that is a great game where I skip cutscenes = AC Oddyssey. No regrets.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't care about stories in games. I have no problem skipping them the moment it annoys or bores me, which is 98% of the time in games.

Oct 27, 2017
I almost never replay games, but on the occasion I need to replay a section for some reason and I've already seen the cutscene, then I'll skip. Otherwise 100% always watch.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Absolutely not lol. I like to know where I am and why I'm doing the things I'm doing in a game.

Pancho

Avenger
Nov 7, 2017
I don't judge people that skip stuff like cutscenes and tutorials. What I do judge is people that do this then complain about not understanding the story or gameplay mechanics.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
If I'm skipping the cutscenes in a game that means I'm probably an hour away from dropping it.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game, I won't skip them on MGS, but I Will un Bayonetta, DMC or Mario.

I would have skipped the dialogs in GoW.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
they would skip all cutscenes on their first try.
tenor.gif

Oct 27, 2017
I skip as many cutscenes as I can as soon as I can. The gameplay has to be fucking amazing for me to put up with unskippable cutscenes.

Dajanksta

Oct 28, 2017
Hell na. The story for me makes game-play more impactful. Knowing what's going on and why the character is doing what they're doing makes it all more enjoyable for me.

Codosbuya

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Coming from the Days gone thread, I see many replies saying they would skip all cutscenes on their first try. Which honestly boggles my mind.
Skipping it on a secondary playthrough is a must, but straight out of the box, I feel like I would be missing out.

Speaking of video games in general, who actually does this?
I did this on my first character to level 120 in Battle of Azeroth. There is a small economic window where some gear and materials only available at max level is worth a lot of gold (WoW Currency also exchangeable for Battle net credit) since there are very few competitors. A well planned speed run to max level in WoW expansion launch can net you enough gold for all the expansion.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the game. Most stories in gaming are bad anyway. There are games where nothing of value is lost if you experience it without the cutscenes.

Give me a menu and bring me directly into the action please.

Of course there are games like RDR2 or GoW which are really well told stories that rival Blockbuster movies. I enjpoy them immensely but they are sparse.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
I only do it if the story is insufferably bad.

In fire Emblem conquest i gave up halfway through. My brain was starting to leak out of my ears and that's very painful.

There's some others. But that's one that stuck out.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
All cutscenes on first playthrough. Dunno why anyone would buy a game just to skip through em.

Leviathan

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
You're missing a core part of the game if you're skipping main story content. Definitely a lower level of completion without it unless we're suddenly ranking writing, voice acting, etc. as being lesser forms of contribution.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
I do not, but my brother is notorious for doing this; he will skip everything to get to the game.

I can't remember what early X360 game it was, but he skipped the entire tutorial and opening cutscenes. Plowed through the game too fast for anyone to possibly enjoy it.

When he saw me playing the game, he asked how did I get the ability to run (dash?) and I told him "It was in the tutorial in the beginning of the game."

His face is what burns brightly in my memories. I still laugh about that to this day.

LaTasse

Nov 7, 2017
I skipped most cutscenes in AC Odyssey during my playthrough (and I didn't feel like I missed much). Only gameplay matters to me.

smuf

Oct 27, 2017
I used to never skip anything. That was before I played Assassin's Creed Origins.

Metallia

May 31, 2018
Like almost everything, it depends on the circumstances and the person.

I don't ever skip cutscenes in any game on my first playthrough, under any circumstances, I want all information available to me. However I understand people doing so for some games. If you just want to get into the open world gameplay I don't judge you for skipping cutscenes in GTA for example. If you're playing something specifically designed around its story like The Last of Us and are skipping cutscenes then I don't really get it but you do you, I won't stop you.

pants

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game.

Playing Kingdom Hearts 3 recently, I did A LOT of skipping cutscenes (especially if they felt divorced form the broader narrative). Normally I don't, but sometimes you just recognize fluff for fluff.

RichardHawk

Feb 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
I skip cut scenes on everything that isn't a GTA game. I also mute all music and play my own with spotify. Video game soundtracks are hot garbage 99% of the time.

Kitschy Kitty

Oct 25, 2017
It depends, I love a good story, but if a game can't grab me at all somewhere near the start, I'll start skipping to just get to the gameplay. I can also be pushed away if a game starts dumping text on me to explain the lore like in Anthem, I'm not going to read your codex just to find out what the hell is going on.

G_O

Oct 28, 2017
Very rarely

Although I did do it on Metal Gear Solid 4 on Ps3, I found the story to be very poor and the cutscenes were basically 70% of the game. I ended up skipping every cut scene from early on and never regretted it.

Apart there are a few other rare cases where I am enjoying the gameplay to an extent but not the story, for example Nier Automata