• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cjelly

Oct 27, 2017
Media_player_sonique-1.95.png

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
I really liked MusicMatch Jukebox default skin back in the day. Hell, I even used it before the complete brand redesign.

image25.png
Yeah, I remember for the non-apple Mac folks, this was the way you would put music onto your ipod from a Windows machine. Kind of crazy how ubiquitous this media player came so quickly because of the Apple tie in. Was there any other big reason this player became popular? I just remember seeing that program everywhere right around 2002.

Altazor

Oct 25, 2017
Chile
Yeah, I remember for the non-apple Mac folks, this was the way you would put music onto your ipod from a Windows machine. Kind of crazy how ubiquitous this media player came so quickly because of the Apple tie in. Was there any other big reason this player became popular? I just remember seeing that program everywhere right around 2002.

I think I might've seen it for the first time at my cousins' house, back in 1999/2000. Before the iPad (damn, that's old)

It looked like this (the OG logo, before the silver/blue redesign) though I used a graphite/grey skin instead of this one:

musicmatch.jpg

musicmatch.gif

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Man this future sucks. I want the one where Winamp won and replaced windows as the OS of choice.

EVERYTHING IS AN MP3!

ALL LLAMAS ASSES WHIPPED.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
First thing I would do after download winamp was download a ballin' winamp skin. None of that anime bullshit.

Allforce

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
God this takes me back to college, my buddy I shared an apartment with was way ahead of anyone on this stuff, we had a PC in the living room just loaded with mp3s from Napster and one of these wild winamp skins, ran it through an amp to speakers and it was like a jukebox before anyone was doing media servers. We'd have crazy parties where people could play anything they wanted and minds were blown.

OP
OP
signal

signal

Oct 28, 2017
God this takes me back to college, my buddy I shared an apartment with was way ahead of anyone on this stuff, we had a PC in the living room just loaded with mp3s from Napster and one of these wild winamp skins, ran it through an amp to speakers and it was like a jukebox before anyone was doing media servers. We'd have crazy parties where people could play anything they wanted and minds were blown.
Reported for prior piracy.

BlinkBlank

Oct 27, 2017
I think I might've seen it for the first time at my cousins' house, back in 1999/2000. Before the iPad (damn, that's old)

It looked like this (the OG logo, before the silver/blue redesign) though I used a graphite/grey skin instead of this one:

musicmatch.jpg

musicmatch.gif
Woah, that is completely wild! Haven't seen that one before! I got to look into that version. Like I said, 2001 or 2002 was the first year I saw Music Match. Before that, everyone mainly used winamp, at least on windows.

shockdude

Oct 26, 2017
Wow. I remember using that HL2 skin. I looked up WSZ files on my computer to see skins I used back when I used winamp and just learned VLC straight up supports winamp skins, though looks like ones that are just the old style

3cJFRL9.png
Wait VLC supports Winamp skins? Why haven't I heard about that before?

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
This was the last time the internet was good

(but yeah I still only ever used the default Winamp one)

Shadow

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I wish I was into that stuff back then, I never really listened to music on a computer as I just used iTunes to sync music. Those look crazy, I love'em.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
I used to have a really cute yellow skin with citrus fruits and cats or something. Man, miss those days.
Also ICQ real-time chat.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
If I recall correctly there was a point where ripping and tagging was easiest in it.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wildly nostalgic for this era while simultaneously disgusted at these overly cluttered, shiny, garish abominations.

ahh the 2000's

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
I get why skins are dead but visualizers too? why people not like cool things anymore.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I get why skins are dead but visualizers too? why people not like cool things anymore.
Because we started caring about electricity and the life of our screens, most monitors are set to go to sleep after x minutes of inactivity as is Windows itself, to set up a visualizer you'd have to turn all those features off. Not that that's hard to do but I honestly think moving away from visualizers was a good thing for most people.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
I ditched Winamp for Quintessential Player since it allowed for better song queuing at the time -- could start a playlist, queue up a random ass song, have it play next, and have the playlist resume -- before anyone else caught on. Shit, that's something that a lot of music player programs on phones or on the desktop still lack! Then after 4.1 the program went to shit and I stuck with it until I unfortunately migrated to iTunes, and it's where I've been ever since because it's holding my song metadata hostage and I don't feel like redoing it.

Took forever to find, but here's the skin I used, too.

d4fnp6-fccd9368-666d-44dd-96c7-68d6aaeb60d3.jpg

Used that and only that for years; had no idea until today that there was a Winamp variant. I might have to migrate back to Winamp.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
LGR had a really good video on Kai Krause who single handedly influenced the visual design style of this era.

Shit was pretty wild back then. Can't say I miss it because I lost interest in doing that stuff, and a lot of it was just really ugly even back then. All those gradient heavy Windows XP themes >__<

My Windows basically still looked like Windows 98 all the way through XP to Windows 7 because I couldn't stand those gaudy and needlessly animated GUIs. Looks like I can't customize Windows to look like that any more with 10, although the default theme is inoffensive enough now at least.