• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I hope they go back to basics. I enjoyed all of the Skate games but I think the vibe of the first game was perfect. I just wanna skate awesome locations, get on magazine covers, and earn a sponsorship. The sequels got a little "THUG2" in their setup and tone.

Rimkrak

Oct 26, 2017
Lol what the hell :)

Oh they just said they're doing it and had nothing to show? Oh well, b1ck to TLOU2.

But fuck yeah skate is back!

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Such a weird flubby announcement. Nothing to show, didn't say Skate 4. No idea of what kind of game this would be. Remaster, some kind of lower budget thing, the full-fledged sequel people want? Who can say. Sounds like 2022. Could get canceled before then, like that Criterion thing.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I guess we could congratulate EA for killing off Tony Hawk and then just abandoning AAA Skateboarding games altogether, leaving us with nothing for basically 10+ years. I'm excited that it's happening, I hope it's good, but will probably not have high hopes until they actually show us some screenshots and gameplay footage.

So long as the gameplay is intact it should be fine though. I just need a fun new city to cruise around in, and nice new updated visuals. Also, please make your city look lived in. Make it a bit grimier in skate 2, but less janky and with better/ more polished art pls (also, please bring back the hall of meat, online, and campaign co-op).

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
Can't wait to see people treat it like that Mirrors Edge sequel. "Man if we could just get a sequel to Mirrors Edge!" Then it came out and nobody bothered. I feel like this is what's also going to happen to Skate.
I bothered then, and I will bother now!

But yeah, I agree on the whole. A lotta people jumped on the #skate4 meme that won't be there at release, they just liked the meme

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
Yo wtf I was listening to "I think" singing along the SKATE 4 part when I saw the news. I'm crying.

Opening this thread brought me back to reality for a bit though... I was expecting something more tangible.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
The one thing I always wanted for skate, was a city where you could run into other skaters online. For example, have servers hosting a city, and then let your friends automatically launch into the same city, maybe host 32-64 players. I never cared about story in these games, but I would love to seamlessly either play single-player missions, free roam, hop into online challenges with other, or organically meet up with other skaters, hang out, and do some crazy stuff.

QUOTE="Brass Body Dave, post: 37417576, member: 444"]
Can't wait to see people treat it like that Mirrors Edge sequel. "Man if we could just get a sequel to Mirrors Edge!" Then it came out and nobody bothered. I feel like this is what's also going to happen to Skate.
[/QUOTE]

Not gonna happen. There are tons of diehard skaters and skate fans out there that have actually been clamoring for this. The only way I could see people skipping it, is if it was mediorce, or just not good or fun.

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
Remember years ago when EA announced a Criterion game in a similar fashion, showing nothing, and it was later cancelled? I'm not getting my hopes up for this.

OHRye

Nov 17, 2017
Ya, honestly I wouldn't get to excited about this yet. I bet they are literally at the stage where the just said they are gonna make it. They couldn't even show a trailer or tech demo? This feels like they didn't have enough to show, and just wanted to announce something. This sounds like a 2023 game if we're lucky.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
QUOTE="Brass Body Dave, post: 37417576, member: 444"]

Not gonna happen. There are tons of diehard skaters and skate fans out there that have actually been clamoring for this. The only way I could see people skipping it, is if it was mediorce, or just not good or fun.
[/QUOTE]

A lot of the hardcore community for Skate has been looking towards (and in SkateXL's case helping create content for) the two other games that are releasing soon. The next iteration of Skate has a bar to meet this time around and it will be interesting to see how they address the different desires between the Skateboarding community that are fans and the Hall of Meat montage fans.

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
Also, thought I might signal boost an upcoming indie skate game, because I forgot to do it in the last Skate 4 prayer thread.

Wow this looks awesome. I think this is the best representation of skating I've seen in a game. The feeling of weight in those animations is superb, nice feeling of speed with the wobbles and I love the camera.

That camera at the end is everything.

TheZynster

Oct 26, 2017

that happened because they fucked up mirrors edge...........no one asked for an open world game with a checklist of shit

Solaire

Oct 29, 2017
Catalyst was panned by critics and fans alike.
Skate was actually successful from the start since they released 3 games in the span of 3 years, which is exactly where they fucked up.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
A lot of the hardcore community for Skate has been looking towards (and in SkateXL's case helping create content for) the two other games that are releasing soon. The next iteration of Skate has a bar to meet this time around and it will be interesting to see how they address the different desires between the Skateboarding community that are fans and the Hall of Meat montage fans.

I assume you are referring to Hardcore skate game fans vs standard skate fans? To be honest, I should play Sessions more, and I'd love to try Skater XL, but so far Sessions still has a way to go to even reach the gameplay quality of skate 1.

I think the standard Sessions controls are neat, but I don't think skate really needed to be even harder just to control, I think it had a nice balance of challenge vs accessibility. I doubt the hardcore skater community would skip a new skate game if it was done right.

I really hope they just port the old control and physics system over, and then just update the animations and fall physics. It doesn't really need an reimagining or overhaul in my opinion, I think they should put thier focus into bringing over all the old featureset, and making the career mode as good as possible. Maybe they can let you customize your moveset?

To be honest, I'd even be fine with them completely removing most of the story. I never liked having control constantly wrestled from me. I'd rather the campaign be more towards a crackdown type thing, where you progress by exploring the world. Perhaps you are rewarded for finding and skating new spots, finding collectibles etc, meeting and skating with new characters, joining events. Perhaps you could mark skate spots and share them with friends, or even build and start your own skate park and events within the world, and make money to buy unlockables that way.

Jest

Oct 28, 2017
I assume you are referring to Hardcore skate game fans vs standard skate fans? To be honest, I should play Sessions more, and I'd love to try Skater XL, but so far Sessions still has a way to go to even reach the gameplay quality of skate 1.

I think the standard Sessions controls are neat, but I don't think skate really needed to be even harder just to control, I think it had a nice balance of challenge vs accessibility. I doubt the hardcore skater community would skip a new slate game if it was done right.

I really hope they just port the old control and physics system over, and then just update the animations and fall physics. It doesn't really need an overhaul in my opinion, I think they should oht thier focus inti bringing over all the old featureset, and making the career mode as good as possible.

To be honest, I'd even be fine with them completely removing most of the story. I never liked have control constantly wrestled from me. I'd rather the campaign be more towards a crackdown type thing, where you are rewarded for finding and skating new spots, finding collectibles etc. Perhaps you could mark skate spots and share them with friends, or even build and start your own skate park and events within the world.

I'm referring more to the subset of Skate fans that focused on "realistic" skating and making full videos vs the fans that liked making the Hall Of Meat "crazy bails!" videos. The casual fans that just played through the games messing around aren't, by and large, the ones who've been asking for another game and a lot of them can take or leave a sequel.

I completely understand what you're saying about the complexity of the controls in games like SkaterXL and Sessions (though I think a good portion of that is the Flickit system actually being legally protected) but the key with these games is exactly how in-touch they are with the skateboarding community. It's resulted in better physics, better spots, and easier to work with replay editors (at no extra cost). Don't get me wrong, Cuz and Black Box did what they could with Skate 2 and 3 in terms of responding to community desires but with EA as Publisher there's always those limitations.

I feel like for the next Skate to truly see sustained success.. they need all 3 groups of players (Hardcore, Casual, Hall of Meat) intitially and then at least 2 of those 3 would need to stick around and continue to support it. The casual group is the least likely to stick around for any consistent amount of time. If Skate can't meet or exceed the bar being set by Sessions and SkaterXL for the Hardcore crowd, they will most definitely skip it. Especially since it's likely to be a $60 game and they will already own SkaterXL and/or Session for 1/3rd the price and will have been playing it for years at that point.

I'm not saying this as a doom and gloom forcast. I'm just saying that I feel like there's a definite scenario where the next Skate fails to meet sales expectations. I also feel as though it's avoidable, as long as EA lets the devs do their thing, and the devs take note of what SkaterXL and Session have done that people like and take it into account in their own execution.

Apr 4, 2018
Vancouver, BC
I'm referring more to the subset of Skate fans that focused on "realistic" skating and making full videos vs the fans that liked making the Hall Of Meat "crazy bails!" videos. The casual fans that just played through the games messing around aren't, by and large, the ones who've been asking for another game and a lot of them can take or leave a sequel.

I completely understand what you're saying about the complexity of the controls in games like SkaterXL and Sessions (though I think a good portion of that is the Flickit system actually being legally protected) but the key with these games is exactly how in-touch they are with the skateboarding community. It's resulted in better physics, better spots, and easier to work with replay editors (at no extra cost). Don't get me wrong, Cuz and Black Box did what they could with Skate 2 and 3 in terms of responding to community desires but with EA as Publisher there's always those limitations.

I feel like for the next Skate to truly see sustained success.. they need all 3 groups of players (Hardcore, Casual, Hall of Meat) intitially and then at least 2 of those 3 would need to stick around and continue to support it. The casual group is the least likely to stick around for any consistent amount of time. If Skate can't meet or exceed the bar being set by Sessions and SkaterXL for the Hardcore crowd, they will most definitely skip it. Especially since it's likely to be a $60 game and they will already own SkaterXL and/or Session for 1/3rd the price and will have been playing it for years at that point.

I'm not saying this as a doom and gloom forcast. I'm just saying that I feel like there's a definite scenario where the next Skate fails to meet sales expectations. I also feel as though it's avoidable, as long as EA lets the devs do their thing, and the devs take note of what SkaterXL and Session have done that people like and take it into account in their own execution.

Ok, yeah, fair enough. I agree that a large part of this game's success will be tied to EA just leaving the dev team alone, and letting them make and finish the game that they know they need and want to make. Skate 4 is by no means a guaranteed success, but I do think that if they can just port over the core systems and features, then they are already on great shape, they just need a cool, interesting city, and an interesting new hook to nab back thier audience.

I'll pick up skater XL and give Session another shot, Session was definitely on it's way to being quite good.

For the record, Session also has Skate's flickit system already implemented. You can set it by changing controls in the options menu, and it makes the core controls feel almost identical. I didn't find it as enjoyable to play though, since the physics of how your character handles collisions with the world, and the way the your skater handles landing at angles felt underdeveloped. Hopefully they have fixed that already.

B4mv

Nov 2, 2017
This headline overwhelmed me with joy. I feel what others were feeling when Pokemon Snap got announced.

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
When I saw that Skate 3 is consistentlay in the top 50 "most played" on Xbox, above or around Halo 5 in popularity, I was really confused why they hadn't made a follow-up. They don't need to make one every year, but a new skate game every so often would make a lot of people happy, I think.

SinkFla

Oct 26, 2017
Pensacola, Fl
Been playing Skate 3 on xbox a lot lately, but can't get the online to work :(.

BTW what are some pros and features you'd like to see?

Give me return of Jason Lee, inclusion of Ronnie Creager/ Tom Penny and make the Berrics playable lol.

Last edited:

Zoso

Oct 27, 2017
Incredible, this is the best announcement EA could have ever made. I can't believe they're actually going to do it. It's been 10 years since Skate 3, I'm so happy it's not dead.

Patitoloco

Oct 27, 2017
This is a miracle, no other way around it.

I can't wake up with better news honestly. TLOU 2 day plus fucking Skate 4.

Only missing a Splinter Cell (lol) announcement in Ubisoft forward and I'll be able to die in peace.