• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
in sk8rboi by Avril Lavigne she explains "he was a boy ... he was a punk," so now we understand that he was a punk, ok. But then later she says, "all of her friends stuck up their nose because they had a problem with his baggy clothes." Now correct me if im wrong, but punk kids didnt and dont wear baggy clothes. The usual attire has been tight clothes for a long time now.

Moreover, the song title presents an even bigger problem. Was he a skater boy? or was he a punk? Because she also gives us the information that "she turns on the TV, guess who she sees; skater boy rocking up MTV." so we know he's been working on his musical career for a while now (the only sort of chronological timeline we get is that she says five years from now; explaining the time she witnessed his MTV appearance) but regardless, his musical talents were enough to credit him a spot on national TV. So that means he is more of a musician than a skater. We actually dont get to hear any information on his skating abilities. Actually, we dont even know if skateboarding was his medium. He could've been a roller skater or an ice skater. We just dont know, it's as if his skating career is almost secondary to his MTV gig.

But what upsets me is that she says near the end "now I'm with skater boy" but that is obviously after his MTV appearance, so why does she refer to him as the skater boy? How dare she not praise him for his musical success? you spent an important part of the story explaining how MTV rocking up was a huge part of his redemption arc. It makes no sense

That being said, certified banger, will listen again

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
in sk8rboi by Avril Lavigne she explains "he was a boy ... he was a punk," so now we understand that he was a punk, ok. But then later she says, "all of her friends stuck up their nose because they had a problem with his baggy clothes." Now correct me if im wrong, but punk kids didnt and dont wear baggy clothes. The usual attire has been tight clothes for a long time now.

Nah man. In 2002, when this song came out, we were all bopping to it in comically oversized jeans, hoodies and double layered t-shirts. The "punks" she's talking about here were skater kids listening to Green Day and shit. Far from the Black Flag/Sex Pistols punks that came before or the skinny jeans dudes who came after.

EssBeeVee

Oct 25, 2017
was it he was a punk. or he was punk. those have two different meanings.

also, this is from in the old days. baggy pants were a thing for everyone.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
If I recall correctly, early 2000s punk attire was baggy clothes (song was released in 2002). I think it was the mid 2000s that skin-tight clothes took hold again.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
The sk8er boi extended universe explains a lot of this.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
She's not talking about punk culture, she is talking about A punk. People are labeled punks for all kinds of reasons that have nothing to do with the punk scene. It's not exactly a strict/rigid way to describe someone

Xterrian

Apr 20, 2018
Wut if his last name is Skater. So if someone wants to get his attention or sumthin they can be like "hey skater boy!!"

That'd take care of the whole "skating" fiasco and is kinda plausible I think.

maruchan

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
dont forget it was not real pumk. it was fake corporate pop punk, created through focus groups

Nov 14, 2017
But what upsets me is that she says near the end "now I'm with skater boy" but that is obviously after his MTV appearance, so why does she refer to him as the skater boy? How dare she not praise him for his musical success? you spent an important part of the story explaining how MTV rocking up was a huge part of his redemption arc. It makes no sense

That is how she knew him. By the end of the song she is using it as a term of endearment

ResetSoul

Banned
Jul 29, 2021
I'm told she said "see ya later, boy," but then makes no effort to have further contact with the eponymous rapscallion?

However, she does see him on tv, introducing an element of dramatic irony.

Oh, thank god. My world almost came crashing down there, but I was able to find meaning in this Avril Lavigne song.

OP
OP
Lunchbox-

Lunchbox-

Nov 2, 2017
bEast Coast
I'm told she said "see ya later, boy," but then makes no effort to have further contact with the eponymous rapscallion?

Oh, thank god. My world almost came crashing down there, but I was able to find meaning in this Avril Lavigne song.

says see you later boy but comes back when she sees him on tv…. so much for love

tadaima

Oct 30, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
It's water under the bridge, OP; sk8rboi and Avril made amends. Personally, I'm more curious about what happened after. Sequel when?

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017

Avril isn't ballet girl. Ballet girl was a girl sk8ter boi was into back in high school, but he got rejected. Eventually, he moved on and got together with Avril (or whoever the persona singing the song is). It was only during the bridge when we realize that Avril was narrating not her own life, but the life of sk8ter boi's ex. Basically, Sk8ter Boi wasn't good enough for the ballet girl or her friends, and Avril is reminding all those people just how much they looked down on him in the high school days. By sticking with the term "skater boy", she's sticking it to them just how much they fucked up by not treating him right.

You got tickets, I'm backstage, We are not the same. 🤷‍♀️

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017
The second verse implies her life is in shambles after she had broken things off with him over a petty reason when they were kids. This isn't necessarily a plothole, but it seems to imply the girl is nothing without sk8r boi without really exploring why that would be.

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's another song that even comes close to the amount of threads this song gets here.

grand

Oct 25, 2017
Avril isn't ballet girl. Ballet girl was a girl sk8ter boi was into back in high school, but he got rejected. Eventually, he moved on and got together with Avril (or whoever the persona singing the song is). It was only during the bridge when we realize that Avril was narrating not her own life, but the life of sk8ter boi's ex. Basically, Sk8ter Boi wasn't good enough for the ballet girl or her friends, and Avril is reminding all those people just how much they looked down on him in the high school days. By sticking with the term "skater boy", she's sticking it to them just how much they fucked up by not treating him right.

Oh good, someone else who has actually listened to the song before. The posts in this thread were making me feel like I was crazy.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017

I was pretty sure she couldn't be any more obvious, but the fact you need to spell this out because several people in this thread have no idea what happened in the song perplexes me...

Menchi

Oct 28, 2017
UK

says see you later boy but comes back when she sees him on tv…. so much for love

Avril isn't the girl, she's a third party singing about the girl who stuck up her nose, whilst she claimed victory though... :P

Eblo

Oct 25, 2017

Counterpoint: Ballet girl and Avril are alternate sides to the same girl. Ballet girl is the persona projected to friends and family, while Avril is a previously unknown side that sk8r boi brought out. The concert is a metaphor for the conflict of these competing personalities.

Nov 2, 2017
Shibuya
Was going to actually come in to see what you had in mind but none of these are plot holes and now I'm putting that term on the top shelf so you can't reach it any more.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Uhhh...punk kids totallly wore baggy clothes.

They're wearing baggy clothes in the Sk8rboi video. lol

Suichimo

Mar 17, 2021
Tell me, what are your thoughts on Jesus of Suburbia, Whatshername, and St. Jimmy. How about their relations?

Replicant

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
MN
Punk kids wore baggy clothes all the time in the 90's as a lot of them were skaters too.

Kurtikeya

One Winged Slayer
Dec 2, 2017
Oh good, someone else who has actually listened to the song before. The posts in this thread were making me feel like I was crazy.
I was pretty sure she couldn't be any more obvious, but the fact you need to spell this out because several people in this thread have no idea what happened in the song perplexes me...

Us backstage people gotta stick together. Let the people in this thread sit at home all alone.

Counterpoint: Ballet girl and Avril are alternate sides to the same girl. Ballet girl is the persona projected to friends and family, while Avril is a previously unknown side that sk8r boi brought out. The concert is a metaphor for the conflict of these competing personalities.

I see where you're coming from. While Avril could be singing about a version of herself that she used to know, she is nonetheless adamant that ballet girl's story ends with her not being able to see the man sk8ter boi could be. In other words, we get confirmation that the possibility of ballet girl blossoming into Avril is irrevocably closed off. So no, they can't be alternate sides. Ballet girl's final chapter has her sitting at home, while Avril's final chapter has her sitting at the studio, and she also gets a post-credits scene where she gets to see sk8ter boi.

Rahvar

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Most Lost
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
The second verse implies her life is in shambles after she had broken things off with him over a petty reason when they were kids. This isn't necessarily a plothole, but it seems to imply the girl is nothing without sk8r boi without really exploring why that would be.

Pretty sure it's a reference to the standard movie plot of "popular cheerleader type gets pregnant by popular douche who then leaves her"

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
The thing that bothered me was the opening of the video it shows a guy who dropped a spray can after spray painting a wall and there were a bunch of colors but it pans up and what he just painted was just red. I also remember pausing and it didn't look like the can he dropped was red either.

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
Sk8er Boi is honestly such a mean spirited song that when I listen to the lyrics it gives me genuine whiplash.

But also the video says ACAB so I dunno, Avril brings me on her wild fucking ride.

Rory

Oct 25, 2017

has been corrected.

The titles defines the persons identity, while the text gives them more character. He wears baggy cloth, is a punk, etc. It's basically like saying she's a postman, who enjoys walking dogs and wears sporty outfits.

So that means he is more of a musician than a skater. We actually dont get to hear any information on his skating abilities. Actually, we dont even know if skateboarding was his medium. He could've been a roller skater or an ice skater. We just dont know, it's as if his skating career is almost secondary to his MTV gig.

Now someone can skate and do music as well. Just because he is not as talented in skating does not mean it cant a defining trait. maybe he used to always skate to school like pepper ann that's why they always called him skater boy, or he was really good but instead focuseed on his career later, that does not mean he doesnt skate at all anymore. Even as musician maybe he always enters stage on a skateboard.

Either way the term skater boy is used here basically as a name, it is for the listener to know its the same person. It'd be confusing if in the middle of the story they changed his name to music boy, this would give the impression we'd talk sbout a different person.

>How dare she not praise him for his musical success? you spent an important part of the story explaining how MTV rocking up was a huge part of his redemption arc. It makes no sense

For clarifying to listeners who dhevtalks about but maybe he's still nicknamed skater boy because the name stuck? I have a cousin who was called baxter despite his dj career being long over.
eh, it does say she rejected him and 5 years later she has a baby that she has to take care of by herself. It just appears she ended up with the wrong guy who ditched her instead of skater boy who her friends disregarded because of his cloth.

could we talk about how avril takes a shit on the stage in the video?

ps: clever way to get era do your homework for you

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
when i was in high school "skater boys" got more pussy than anybody (aside from the dumpy, crater faced Jnco wearing dudes with purple hair and shit)

song always pissed me off, though i know it's not super serious or anything

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Could the eponymous boi have been on mtv in some kind of extreme sports exhibition, rather than in a musical capacity? Mtv is hardly limited to "music" content really, rather all manner of subversive punk output typical of the era.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
He was a skater boy, she said "See you later boy"
He wasn't good enough for her
She's not a therapist don't wanna take care of him
She's an independent girl

KRvJ5ab.gif

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
It's explained in the prequel album that came out 10 years later. Though I think it got retconned by the sequel album that came out a few short months after that too. Don't even get me started on the reboot either.

Kinketsu

Nov 17, 2017
A similar but more genuine question that has been rattling around in my head this week is what happens in the Snoop Doggs song "Murder Was the Case" at the end? He goes to prison over what? What about his deal with the devil? What did he do that got him put away for 25 to life? One minute he is living high on the hog and next he is locked up and his little homie Baby Boo takes a pencil in the neck. That is a hard swerve and I dont think there is any tie-in comic that explains it.

Pikelet

Oct 27, 2017
She's not talking about punk culture, she is talking about A punk. People are labeled punks for all kinds of reasons that have nothing to do with the punk scene. It's not exactly a strict/rigid way to describe someone
Avril is accurately describing the pop-punk/skater-punk attire and scene from the late 90s early noughts.

Source: was a sk8r boi