• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You know what would have made this game top of everyone's list? If they chose to go down Spec Ops: The Line route and made everyone aware of the machismo narrative that sits on top of death and destruction.

"You are a good person" on a loading screen after a phosphorous attack you just did.
This game was such a great game to get at that time. After many pro war games this game comes out and delivers a very needed message.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
This game was such a great game to get at that time. After many pro war games this game comes out and delivers a very needed message.
It's interesting this game is still locked on PS3/X360 on console side.

I guess it's not a very demanding game so any old laptop could play it these days.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
I was in Iraq. I've seen children caring for their little brothers and sisters picking up trash to sell and survive. I've seen amputee children. I've seen children absolutely terrified of US forces because of what they've witnessed.

Ive already thought long and hard about it.
Then you have your experience and your views. And certainly, if asked to recount your experience or share your opinion on the topic, you would have a very clear point of view on the matter.

This game is going to present it's own point of view. And that point of view is going to be informed by those who had their own experience in the matter, and the developers who are creating their game and have their views, informed by any number of things. It's going to be suffused with politics of the creators and those of the stories they tell whether the creators want it to be or not.

The politics of people are infused into everything they do. There is no way to tell a story about a war without taking some kind of side on things. If you think whatever side you're on isn't take a side and therefore it's not political for you, that just means your side is the current status quo.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest: If they really didn't want to make a political statement, they wouldn't be using a real, recent, and controversial war as their setting in the first place. Which is not to say a game that use a fictional back drop can't be political of course, but you literally can't make a game, movie, book, etc about this setting without it inherently carrying major political connotations

Stop It

Bad Cat
Oct 25, 2017
Last post and I'm dipping out for good:

I'm not defending this game. I haven't played it. None of us have. But apparently a lot of you have chosen to decide prematurely that this game is purely pro-US, and will ignore the evils of war.

If the game is shit, it's shit. But some of you guys really need to decompress. Not everything has to be some explicit, or implicit, political statement. In the same way that not all art has to have some deep meaning to be beautiful, a video game can retell a historic battle and be enjoyable, without having some political statement to push.
Telling the story from one perspective only is *political*. This isn't neutral storytelling but making out that the forces involved should be treated as heroes.

Meanwhile the impact of these "heroic" acts still reverberate around a region set in fire by this illegal war waged as a vanity project for George W and Tony Blair.

This is a political game whether you buy the hilarious lies that it isn't because they say it isn't or not.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not defending this game. I haven't played it. None of us have. But apparently a lot of you have chosen to decide prematurely that this game is purely pro-US, and will ignore the evils of war.
But whether it's pro US or highlights the evils of war, those are both political statements...
Devs need to stop avoiding "politics" like it's some taboo or boogeyman.

BabyMurloc

Oct 29, 2017
Hey guys check out my new game, 63 Days in Warsaw! It's about the complexity of urban combat. A landser can't second guess the decisions of policymakers.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
But whether it's pro US or highlights the evils of war, those are both political statements...
They're not dumb, they know that their view cannot be defended so they just avoid the question entirely.
They aren't going on record saying that they're ok with American soldiers committing war crimes.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Just doing a search.

Turns out Marty O'Donnell is doing the music for the game. You know, the disgraced racist Halo composer.

So they can lie to themselves about it all, but the employees they're attracting says it all.

toadkarter

Oct 2, 2020
Honest question: do you guys object to Black Hawk Down? Do you guys skip over the Soviet campaigns in old CoD games due to their war crimes?

Honestly, I kinda do yeah. Generally anything rooted in real life, modern (aka past century) conflict makes me super uncomfortable, especially stuff like CoD, unless it is actively criticising war itself (aka Spec Ops). Hell even stuff like military sci-fi is a bit iffy to me, but I appreciate I come from a slightly different background as I grew up in a country where military conscription was mandatory, so I have always viewed things like this in a different light.

Alucrid

Chicken Photographer
Oct 25, 2017
i gotta say going from "people can't handle criticism of dems" yesterday to caping for six days in fallujah today is a pretty funny heel turn

Fucking how is this not political commentary!? It's a thing from the Iraq war! a war that is highly debated! Jesus fuck, the Alt-right really has legit convinced people that "political commentary" means people of color &/or lgbtq+ people. war crimes? Chemical warfare? Traditionalism vs. modernism? Those aren't political! Now lgbtq+ people just existing, that's political! Fucking idiots.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yep. Like having a political statements is not inherently bad.
"Fuck the Nazis" is inherently a political statements
It's also inherently the absolutely correct moral and ethical position.
Hell even incredibly moderate positions are still political. "Our current society is flawed but alternatives are worse" is a political opinion
"The status quo is fine" is a political position
"The status quo is mostly fine but there are a few areas we could improve on"? Political
"We need major societal changes" is political

Literally anything saying absolutely anything about society and the direction society should take is political. And you can be political by omission too of course. Separating politics from art or culture is impossible because doing so is also inherently stripping it of any meaning whatsoever

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
How about this site makes the apolitical choice of not giving any air to a piece of shit game that glorifies the brutalization of brown bodies

Feb 24, 2018
I honestly want to know why devs or the PR for the Debs KEEP releasing statements like this, who are they actually for at this point because they always end up being mocked (and rightly so).

Like it's pathetic at this point and it makes me wish a reporter would call them out on the fact their then exploiting real world imagery then (like David Cage saying Detroit was not political or about prejudice and racism when using real world imagery, or Deus Ex Mankind Divided, Ubisoft etc) for little more then window dressing and their "Not political" statement is nonsense.
Just doing a search.

Turns out Marty O'Donnell is doing the music for the game. You know, the disgraced racist Halo composer.

So they can lie to themselves about it all, but the employees they're attracting says it all.

Racism?! Yikes :(

Nox

Dec 23, 2017
So the human story they want to tell is what? American goes overseas, kills civilians , and now feels superbad about it?

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
giphy.gif

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Also Peter Tamte

Daily Bits: What led to Six Days in Fallujah's resurgence?

Peter Tamte:
Two things — First, these Marines and Soldiers shared remarkable and very personal stories with me that I thought many people would want to experience, and I felt I had let these Marines and Soldiers down when the game got cancelled in 2009. Second, I remain offended that people inside and outside our industry believe videogames are not qualified to tackle real-life, controversial events. I believe we have a responsibility to use what's unique about our medium to help people understand the events that are shaping our world in the same way film helped people understand WWII and TV helped people understand Vietnam. Every other form of media is about watching what someone else does. Six Days in Fallujah asks you to solve these challenges for yourself. It doesn't do this through a fictional avatar you may not care about. It does this through real people who you will see on camera and understand their stories.

show me your skeleton

#1 Bugsnax Fan
Oct 28, 2017
skeleton land
I don't get how this is hard to understand. I want to make a movie about a surgeon. The premise is a visiting politician is shot and sent to his hospital.

THAT DOES NOT MEAN MY FILM HAS TO MAKE A POLITICAL STATEMENT.

Everything surrounding and leading up to the war? Political.

The dudes actually in that war, and let me remind you a lot of these dudes at this point had joined up in peacetime, weren't making political decisions or statements. You can tell their story without it being about Bush et al
are you a moron or a bad faith troll? just curious.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
The context is just awful. There's a big difference between navigating a horrendous cityfight and deciding what risks to take as a civilian in something like This War of Mine, and doing so in a computer game gleefully badged as a first person shooter led by US soldier characters. Gee, I wonder what most of the challenges in a game in this genre, with a clearly understood target market and the developers history, are going to revolve around.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain
Hmmmmmmm.
One of those devs, huh?
Just the use of "insurgent" to name people defending a ruling regime against an invading force is iffy, but using a battle widely considered a war crime and going with the ubi excuse...

Golbez

Oct 20, 2020
...a game about the Iraq War pretty much parroting itself like propaganda is not "political"?

bruh

steejee

Oct 28, 2017
On the one hand, I would support a well written and designed game that explored the harsh realities of the drive to invade Iraq and the immense damage the invasion has done to countless lives. People are becoming adults right now who have no memory of the warmongering leading up to the invasion, of the hidden death toll, of the damaged veterans, the atrocities that occurred there, or even why the surge into Fallujah even occured. Spec Ops: The Line explored war and war games, but not for a real conflict.

These devs are clearly not the ones to make that game.

On a related note I still find it strange how few movies were made about the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Three Kings and Hurt Locker still pop to mind as the most prominent take downs of the Iraq war, and Three Kings kinda surprised the shit out of everyone on that front since the trailers made it look nothing like what it was.

SystemBug

Oct 25, 2017
so much of modern military games are essentially

"Muslim Murder Simulator"

from the perspective of someone who signed up to murder brown people

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
Not sure how an unarmed Iraqi civilian fits into the gameplay of an FPS. This game will probably be horrible. Why set a game during a recent conflict if you have nothing to say about that conflict?

Foffy

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think people are against games being political, but this is more rah rah American the warmachine, and arguably the most blatant effort in a military themed game we've seen in over a decade. I'm also genuinely curious why this game resurfaced. US military recruitment is at an all-time low, is it time for some propaganda projects?

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
You don't get to tell a story based on real events and don't be political. When you make a game about an American war operation you have 2 options:
  1. Tell the true story, no matter how awful and how many war criminals it would piss of
  2. "American, fuck yeah!" bullshit
Quite clear they're going with #2.
Let's face it, the above can be applied to pretty much most war operations by most countries in the world for most periods of time. So yeah, pretty much above, just replace "American, fuck yeah" with "Country Y, fuck yeah!" and you will get similar results.

That said, LOL at the dev. Take a hugely controversial topic during war and then say "it's not political". Even the title is political not to mention the game. Sigh...