• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
"The things that divide us," such as, war crimes and literal murder of civilians

I can't believe the creator literally denied the use of white phosphorus during Fallujah because some people from the US army told him. What complete horseshit. It is extremely upsetting to see this revisionist bullshit that literally whitewashes war crimes.

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
I think the coarse dismissal of this is a little unfortunate. There could be a good, and honest, debate about this topic. Certainly, when the game was initially being designed/launched it was definitely political but it's been 15+ years. I am not sure what the mythical boundary video games from political commentary to "historical fiction". I mean, hell, people are blowing each other up in hundreds of historical video games daily - battlefield, etc. I remember playing Platoon on my friends Tandy in the mid-80s. That was around the same timescale difference, and Vietnam was extremely political (Platoon as a movie was as well... and in the game you have to kill another GI as the "boss").

I don't know what the right answer is - and video games let us explore complex ideas and provide insights to war/combat/etc in ways that no textbook can. If it's handled correctly that is - not sure if this is that case. But "they can fuck right off" without playing it or really thinking through it doesn't lend itself to the right discourse nor the potential videos games - as a medium - can provide society to think through these things.

Why are you trying to be all philosophical about video games as a medium when the developers are clearly just glorying America's actions?
They dropped white phosporous and used uranium bullets which cause cancer today in that battle.
This is what the developers say:
www.polygon.com

Six Days in Fallujah ‘not trying to make a political commentary,’ creator says

An interview with the publisher of the controversial Iraq War shooter
"I have two concerns with including phosphorus as a weapon. Number one is that it's not a part of the stories that these guys told us, so I don't have an authentic, factual basis on which to tell that. That's most important. Number two is, I don't want sensational types of things to distract from the parts of that experience."

The same is true of the depleted uranium munitions used during the battle. The super-dense shells, commonly associated with the tank-busting A-10 Warthog, can fragment and shatter on impact, scattering their heavy metal payload all around. That could be why researchers show an increased incidence of cancers among the current population of Fallujah — especially in children. We asked Tamte what responsibility his team bears in communicating that outcome of the Second Battle of Fallujah to consumers.

"I don't think players are going to be confused about the cost [of war]," Tamte said. "I just don't think that they're going to walk away from this experience going, 'We need more war.' I don't think that's something that the Marines and soldiers want as a message. I don't think that's something that the Iraqi civilians want as a message. I think people do need to understand the human cost of war."

They're doing some point of view stuff from a family fleeing
Do you think they'll talk about how they dropped flyers stating:

www.nytimes.com

With Airpower and Armor, Troops Enter Rebel-Held City (Published 2004)

American forces have sent thousands of troops into neighborhoods considered to be the center of the Iraqi insurgency.
" Three days before the Invasion, over 1,000,000 flyers were dropped from the sky over the city, stating any military age male over the age of 12 will be considered hostile and shot on sight.

But then:
www.foxnews.com

U.S. Won't Let Men Flee Fallujah

Hundreds of men trying to flee the assault on Fallujah have been turned back by U.
"Hundreds of men trying to flee the assault on Fallujah have been turned back by U.S. troops following orders to allow only women, children and the elderly to leave."

Unless you're super naive, there's no way you'd think they'd talk about any of this.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Honest question: do you guys object to Black Hawk Down? Do you guys skip over the Soviet campaigns in old CoD games due to their war crimes?

Oct 27, 2017
You know, if you just want to focus on the feeling of "tactical urban combat" you can just do what Ace Combat does and just bullshit up a world with random nations and conflicts. That way, you can actually avoid a very political conflict.
+1

Like it would still be political but not "let's portray these people from this country as enemies" political.
What the fuck does this mean? Does this dude have any self awareness?
From the way I understand it, they want to show the experience of soldiers and they won't comment about the war itself.

Basically, centrist bullshit.
Yeah, and a gunfight is apolitical. Everything leading up to it? Absolutely. But once that Marine was told to enter that city and start going door-to-door, clearing an entire city, they aren't thinking about that. They're wondering what is around this next corner? Is there a boobytrap at this next house? Where are the snipers? Is that an IED? My buddy just died but I've got 12+ more hours of clearing houses.

Again, from my understanding, that is their entire intent of this game. Show the hell on the ground that these dudes went to.
You can't just make a game about american soldiers invading and killing brown people based on a real event while having people from the war telling you how they experienced the event, and not be political. That by itself is political.
You want to make a "non poltical" game about how soldiers feel, them make up a fictional setting.

And just showing how these guys experienced war is political by itself.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Yeah, and a gunfight is apolitical. Everything leading up to it? Absolutely. But once that Marine was told to enter that city and start going door-to-door, clearing an entire city, they aren't thinking about that. They're wondering what is around this next corner? Is there a boobytrap at this next house? Where are the snipers? Is that an IED? My buddy just died but I've got 12+ more hours of clearing houses.

Again, from my understanding, that is their entire intent of this game. Show the hell on the ground that these dudes went to.
That house clearance and the risk to civilians isn't apolitical when the rules of engagement it's being done under, exactly what the criteria is for when a human is seen as a threat worth killing, is very clearly political. It might be apolitical to the soldier on the ground as they've been trained not to question it and prioritise their own safety and those of their colleagues first, in addition to getting stuff done. But those rules that inform every shot they do or don't take are very much political.

Last edited:

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
+1

Like it would still be political but not "let's portray these people from this country as enemies" political.

From the way I understand it, they want to show the experience of soldiers and they won't comment about the war itself.

Basically, centrist bullshit.

You can't just make a game about american soldiers invading and killing brown people based on a real event while having people from the war telling you how they experienced the event, and not be political. That by itself is political.
You want to make a "non poltical" game about how soldiers feel, them make up a fictional setting.

And just showing how these guys experienced war is political by itself.

It's not about the goddamned invasion. It's not about the Iraq war as a whole. It's about a specific fucking event they're trying to retell.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Let's not make politics while locating our games in the middle of the destruction of a nation who started with Sumer around -3000BC to remove a despot who was our friend all the decade he spread military gas on iranian people, during the siege of a city were civilians get collectively punished multiple times by G.W. Bush and his allies. This meltdown even make his father appearing as a great strategist compared to how he managed the Koweit invasion and the end of the Cold War...

Oct 27, 2017
It's not about the goddamned invasion. It's not about the Iraq war as a whole. It's about a specific fucking event they're trying to retell.
Once again, they are portraying the soldiers that went through this fucking invasion.

Not sure why you can't understand that making you sympathize with american soldiers killing brown people in their own homeland by showing you how they felt and experienced said event is political.

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
That house clearance and the risk to civilians isn't apolitical when the rules of engagement it's being done under is. It might be apolitical to the soldier on the ground as they've been trained not to question it, but those rules that inform every shot they do or don't take are.

Civilians were told to leave the city

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
The interview did nothing to dissuade me that the developers are a bunch of cowards who couldn't give a shit about an accurate portrayal of events and just wanna make money off a well known event of a war that hasn't been done to death.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

fick

Alt-Account
Banned
Nov 24, 2018
Once again, they are portraying the soldiers that went through this fucking invasion.

Not sure why you can't understand that making you sympathize with american soldiers killing brown people in their own homeland by showing you how they felt and experienced said event isn't political.

I don't get how this is hard to understand. I want to make a movie about a surgeon. The premise is a visiting politician is shot and sent to his hospital.

THAT DOES NOT MEAN MY FILM HAS TO MAKE A POLITICAL STATEMENT.

Everything surrounding and leading up to the war? Political.

The dudes actually in that war, and let me remind you a lot of these dudes at this point had joined up in peacetime, weren't making political decisions or statements. You can tell their story without it being about Bush et al

ket

Jul 27, 2018

so why exclude all mentions of white phosphorus or used of other dubious combat tactics? why is the iraqi civilian part of the campaign only 10% of it while the usmc part is 90%?

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
what makes you say it doesn't? It literally says they're going to show the on-the-ground result of politics, but the intent isn't to make a statement about it. Maybe they will actually depict war crimes in this. We don't know but there's a lot of jumping to conclusions in this thread.
When you deny the political nature of a game of this kind you're lowering the bar for a reason. They want to tell us that war is bad without telling us whose fault it is.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
Honest question: do you guys object to Black Hawk Down? Do you guys skip over the Soviet campaigns in old CoD games due to their war crimes?

I mean Somalia was absolutely a disaster that anticipated the War on Terror so yeah its gross propaganda. But at least games depicting the Soviet Union have the Reich as the enemy and considering what the USSR faced in the German invasion it isn't comparable to Iraq.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017

A sympathetic depiction of the military is not apolitical.

You can't just look at this in a vacuum.

I'm sure it was tense for the people on the other end of that fight, but if I omitted all context beyond the Americans killing their friends, would you be able to accept it as an objective retelling on one guys experience for those particular hours?

Oct 27, 2017
I don't get how this is hard to understand. I want to make a movie about a surgeon. The premise is a visiting politician is shot and sent to his hospital.

The dudes actually in that war, and let me remind you a lot of these dudes at this point had joined up in peacetime, weren't making political decisions or statements. You can tell their story without it being about Bush et al
You are an idiot.

Sorry but this is the only way I can respond to such dense line of thinking.

Elfgore

Mar 2, 2020
That would still involve political commentary, just not pertaining to real world politics. Everything from the choice of story they told, who they made the protagonists vs antagonists, who they aligned the player and their companies with and what types of missions they had you doing. All of that speaks to a particular viewpoint and if it's dealing with international relationships then it's political
It does and there are certain things they could even do with a made-up setting that could still show their ass. I just think using a made-up setting can let that take a backseat to what it sounds like they want. There is no backseating the conflict they chose.

Djalminha

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 22, 2020
The only reason we got Spec Ops: The Line is because it wasn't made in America. This game never stood a chance.
I absolutely loved that game, recommended to anyone on this thread who is disappointed and wants a self aware war game. Spec Ops certainly didn't shy away from showing that white phosphorus atrocity thing.

LavaBadger

Nov 14, 2017
The notion that you think you can cherrypick a battle from a war and pretend like it's devoid of any political ideology because it's somehow in isolation is baffling.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Civilians were told to leave the city
And that means they were fair game if they couldn't? If you've got kids and no car, in a city surrounded by various heavily armed factions, saying 'run for the hills' doesn't absolve soldiers from the charge of enacting the consequences of politics.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017

a politician being shot is not political?
In this made up universe, are bullets raining from the sky for no reason or something?
This is the stupidest thing I've read this month, congratulation.

Snake Eater

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why are you are criticizing him? He was obviously being sarcastic

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
Why are you trying to be all philosophical about video games as a medium when the developers are clearly just glorying America's actions?
They dropped white phosporous and used uranium bullets which cause cancer today in that battle.
This is what the developers say:

They're doing some point of view stuff from a family fleeing
Do you think they'll talk about how they dropped flyers stating:

www.nytimes.com

With Airpower and Armor, Troops Enter Rebel-Held City (Published 2004)

American forces have sent thousands of troops into neighborhoods considered to be the center of the Iraqi insurgency.
" Three days before the Invasion, over 1,000,000 flyers were dropped from the sky over the city, stating any military age male over the age of 12 will be considered hostile and shot on sight.

But then:
www.foxnews.com

U.S. Won't Let Men Flee Fallujah

Hundreds of men trying to flee the assault on Fallujah have been turned back by U.
"Hundreds of men trying to flee the assault on Fallujah have been turned back by U.S. troops following orders to allow only women, children and the elderly to leave."

Unless you're super naive, there's no way you'd think they'd talk about any of this.

Because I believe video game violence is hypocritical, and we're selective of our choices on how to moralize to ourselves when modern combat is depicted - but also that video games can be used as an effective tool and medium to discuss complex political concepts. I dunno - I also don't feel like reading a bunch of throw away lines that make this place feel like a collective?

I'm also hugely anti-war, and protested this battle and war when it happened. But I think trying to bury the events of Iraq (and I agree - it need context just like you highlight) has caused the narrative to become a bit stunted. The hand wave dismissive behavior doesn't articulate the actual problem (which we agree upon) which is there were war crimes, and victims, and a narrative to be discussed about this war so we don't repeat it. But that's also really hard to have when video games are recreating wars, and basically don't face the inherit political and violent nature of them because the war they depict was "morally right" (e.g. WWII). It's all political, and don't know where the line is drawn or who "owns" the narration.

Guess I am hopefully that others take on the Iraq war, and help us mature our understanding of modern conflicts in additional to historical combat events from 100 years ago.

Zealuu

Feb 13, 2018
Mmm, yes, just a chill shooting cruise where you learn about "the complexities of urban combat", no politics to be seen anywhere

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017

This reminds me of Dan Ryckert saying he didn't think Metal Gear was political because it wasn't about elections or something.

Bish_Bosch

Apr 30, 2018
Lol, who's the war crime apologist? "Yes German women and children deserved to be raped and murdered because the German army was shitty to Russians."

I mean I am not going to condone Soviet war crimes at the end of WW2 but depicting the Battle of Stalingrad which is a unambiguous fight against fascism isnt the same as depicting Iraq dude. But this is veering close to far-right talking points that try to relativize the victims of fascism and the Nazi army. The Soviets experienced a far worse outcome under the German invasion than the Germans did in the Soviet invasion.

Kaguya

Jun 19, 2018